Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Last Dream

I'm trying out Last Dream and it seems like a real good deal. The system is really cool but I'm not sold on the story yet. You get to spend points on level up for so many things it's crazy, and you have branching skill trees for your user-chosen heroes. The manual is 700 pages long and it's supposedley non-linear gameplay the whole way through.

A user named cat

Oh look, more RPG Maker garbage that found its way onto Kickstarter. Now faggily being ad planted on Codex. Deja vu.

vC0VHAD.jpg

I wish these talentless hacks mascarading as "old school RPG developers" using baby's first JRPG-churning engine would just fuck off. Take their idiot supporters with them who keep funding this nonsense full of worn out material and assets from the internet.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Checked the trailer video on the site, this actually looks pretty good. Good party customization, showed an interesting puzzles, seemed to have some decent sidequest type stuff. Looks like it took all the right pieces from the best 90's jrpgs.

If you want to bitch about the engine or assets not being worth enough money you can go fuck yourself as far as I'm concerned. Go play some fucking bioware shit, they have all the fresh new material you can get, not worn out at all. That's what your AAA cocksucking ass wants right? It's endorsed by doritos so it must be good.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Checked the trailer video on the site, this actually looks pretty good. Good party customization, showed an interesting puzzles, seemed to have some decent sidequest type stuff. Looks like it took all the right pieces from the best 90's jrpgs.
yup, looks pretty decent, especially for an rpgmaker game.

A user named cat

If you want to bitch about the engine or assets not being worth enough money you can go fuck yourself as far as I'm concerned. Go play some fucking bioware shit, they have all the fresh new material you can get, not worn out at all. That's what your AAA cocksucking ass wants right? It's endorsed by doritos so it must be good.
Bioware? AAA? White knighting RPG Maker shit? Haha what is this, I'm offended. I was one of the first to Photoshop the Dorito thing before it blew up. Financially supporting games that random people release by the gallon for free is ridiculous. Give me beer money and a few months, and I'll make an RPG Maker game that would be the same quality as this.

noDHTMA.jpg

Damned Registrations

Guys I hear there are shitty PC games therefore all PC games are shitty cause thats how logic works right?

No you fuckwit, just because people release crappy shit with RPG Maker doesn't mean it's all shit. Pull your head out of your ass. You could easily make FF4-6 with this thing, it's got all the bells and whistles it needs. It's what they put under the skin that matters, not how much time they spent wasted making yet another engine to do the same shit. They don't reinvent the fucking wheel every time they make a new car, nor do they tear down all the old factories. Why fuckups like you expect it to work that way for game development is beyond me.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
What kill games like this is how they fail to differentiate thenselves. I'm not arguing that every RPG Maker games is shit, but 95% of them are. Proving that your game is one of the good ones is quite hard to do.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I'll agree that it looks very lazy. Compare "polished" RPG Maker releases like this one to those of Adventure Game Studios, like Heroine's Quest... the difference is HUGE.

A user named cat

AGS is a lot more robust (from what I remember) and requires much more actual programming work and original assets. There have been a lot of really impressive games done with it. A Tale of Two Kingdoms comes to mind.

Damned Registrations

So you figure that when your budget is fuck all, the best investment of time is making your own scripts for combat so it can have some stupid gimmick that doesn't help at all, or your own art assets that are of the same quality but slightly different? Make a new, shitty UI just for the sake of looking different? And what? Cut out all the sidequests instead? Cut the skill tree to 1/10th the size? Fuck you. You're everything that is wrong with the consumer base in the games industry. You give zero fucks about how a game plays and endlessly bitch and moan about how it's not new enough for you.

AoD is the perfect example of this shit. Was supposed to be out fucking years ago. But oh no, has to be 3D to please dumbfucks like you, time to push the release back to 'thursday' since that shit takes more time to implement than everything else combined. Better scrap some content so we don't have to make 3D models and tweak the lighting for that shit. So much better! Fuck that, I'm not paying for someone to dick around with shitty 3D models for years while the gameplay is on the back burner.

Spending time != earning money. Designing your 'own' battle system (like AoD) that is functionally identical to a dozen other games when you don't need to is a waste of fucking time and deserves nothing more than a swift kick in the balls. I don't want to pay for babby's first battle script, I want to pay for actual game design- things like enemy stats being properly balanced, resources being relevant instead of being useless or overabundant, skills being something other than a no brainer. That is the shit that matters and bears testing and reiterating and spending time on. Not making a combat system where the party stands at the top of the screen instead of the right side because you're such a maverick.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
On the contrary, what I see mainly in RPG Maker games and what Phantasmal seems to be pointing here is gameplay being just copy-pasta & templates, with the "devs" instead focusing on story, world-building and characters... althought they still read like bad fanfic.

Damned Registrations

Do tell, where did these get copy pasta'd from?

aQa3aAK.jpg

How about the item crafting recipes? The 50 or so buried treasures? I suppose he just took the code for the Lufia 2 Ancient Cave knockoff dungeon right from the source huh? And all those monsters in there, and items, and rates you encounter them and the balancing that goes with all that, he just copied that from somewhere too? Because that is the shit that matters. You can have the most unique brilliant combat system in the world and it isn't worth shit if the enemies all die in 1 hit, or the rewards are so minor you'd rather just run away from all the fights, or they occur too often and get tedious, or any of a hundred other ways you can fuck up a game that have nothing to do with programming or scripts or art assets. Tweaking all that shit takes time, it costs fucking money, just like anything else, and it has far more to do with quality than whether or not the menu background is fucking blue, which seems to be your big complaint. Egads, a blue menu, game must be shit since they didn't change that!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
And how do I tell that this RPG Maker game employed well all the presets, unlike all the 200 others that used it? That's what I said above, there's no way to differ this game from the countless other games like it. Just last week we has a guy advertising his kickstarter for yet another RPG maker game, The Great Gaias:

615dae60608bb67919087508672c2e96_large.png
79a95e80dfa205a30adddea0b1620e7f_large.png

I played the demo and it was shit, with horribly amateur writting, bad gameplay design decisions and tons of cliched drama. Why should I try yet another game that looks just like it? Should I try every goddamn RPG Maker game out there, even if it loos as uninspired as the other?

A user named cat

I don't think the furry gets it really. I'm not sure what part of "They all look, feel and play the exact same" he doesn't seem to comprende or how a thousand games all using one tired engine with each other's systems, assets, art styles and scripts is a bad thing to profit from. Especially when these 'things' show up on Kickstarter by the dozen using freely available fan-made work. Oh but it's okay as long as they balance everything, bloat with content and do busy work despite not offering anything vaguely original or of their own creation. Content means jack shit when it's being dealt by a hand that's already been up a million hooker's assholes.

If he wasn't such a madface clown and had ever used RPG Maker before, he'd realize it's not exactly difficult to at the very least modify or tweak systems using the built-in scripting language instead of presenting the same fucking thing that's showcased in countless other games (most of them, again, free). Now he's also crying that AoD isn't out yet and thinks it's my fault because somehow I'm now a graphic whore who wanted 3D from Vince. Oh and a total AAA Bioware fan too though I haven't played a game they made since Jade Empire. Cool! The wonderful world of clueless assumptions.

This is such an asinine thing to even discuss or argue about, fucking RPG Maker. Are we at the bowels of Gamefaqs? I would dip my foot further up his hole but I have the same username as him on a couple other forums. So this is really weird, confusing and erotic.

Damned Registrations

Well, flipping through the trailer for that made it pretty obvious it was going to be fairly shit. Most of it is spent talking about the bestiary, the story, and the character biographies. Most of the gameplay footage is of cutscenes. The only combat they show is a single skill that just randomly hits some enemies for damage with no apparent sideeffects or costs (and it takes like 30 fucking seconds and doesn't even kill the trash mobs in the fight.) When they bring up puzzles they show a really shit timing section with spikes that isn't a puzzle at all, and one of those really overdone conveyor belt mazes. The character system is just a set of predetermind characters ala FF4. The only part that sounded remotely interesting was some item crafting stuff. And the video was over 6 minutes long.

The video for this thing was about 2 minutes long, and managed to bring up character customization (showing a huge skill list and stat allocation), a puzzle that actually looked original, a battle arena, a huge side dungeon ala the Ancient Cave, and generally tried to show off a ton of features and sidequests as succinctly as possible. I'd say that warrants a closer look than most.

I mean fuck, what makes this less likely to be well done than some shit made from scratch? Why give AoD a second glance instead of assuming it's going to be some derivative shitty 'tactical' game with zero depth?

Fuck, Binding of Isaac was made in god damned flash. Why not lump it in with Angry Birds and Bejeweled? It's the details that matter, not the generalizations you can make before even getting a look.

I don't understand all the reactions from people who've never played this, and I really could care less. It's hard to find a game with this mixture. Open-world, anonymous (not railway-story-driven) heroes, with super customizeable advancement. People say the story is good too, which would make it one of the rarest games ever. The story to Baldur's Gate 2 sucked, if you recall. If all RPG maker games were like this, then they'd be 100 times better than the shitty angst you people have for people trying to make their own games. Maybe you guys want some non-chibi with non-generic graphics, but it all looks pretty different to me and I'd say they did a great job so far.

Unwanted

Xu Fugui

Unwanted
and I really could care less.
I can see that.

felipepepe there are actually enjoyable RPGmaker games? As in, not in a 'so bad its great' fashion?
Sure there are.

Ao Oni
Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, Chapter 1 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa
Corpse Party
Exit Fate
Middens
Gingiva
Kanye Quest 3030
Legend of Queen Opala (ehehe)
Miserere
Off
Space Funeral
To The Moon (this one you'll have to not remove from inventory or buy)
Yume Nikki

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
the only problem i have with rpgmaker games is the fucking resolution.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I wish I finished my own RPGMaker game.

screen3.JPG

screen4.JPG

screen6.JPG

screen7.JPG

It sucked, but at least it was fairly original in gameplay/universe.

A user named cat

Wow, I remember that ugly font bug when playing around with 2k3 back then that messed up the spacing. I think there was a fix for it though.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
so, does anybody know any rpgmaker dungeon blobbers?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom