Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Larian's Dragon Commander - Released

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
F10 brings up the menu and pauses the game. You can't issue orders while paused, of course (exactly as in WarCraft/StarCraft).

Gord

Arcane
Wow I am terrible at this game. I suck at RTSs generally, but this is the first one I've played in a while with no pause time option. My brain cannot handle this :(

You can adjust the game speed during RTS, though. "Ctrl" + "+/-", I think.
Also it gets much easier once you get the hang of it, which early on consists mostly of spamming units and later also in using the right ablities.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Played my first short map (less than 1000 recruits) yesterday. Concidentally, it was also a three-way battle. Great, tense, fun, with factions desperately stealing recruits from each other and much more ephasis on effective unit and dragon usage vs. standard huge blob army that is usual for larger/longer battles with thousands of recruits.

I wish all battles were like this, with less units and recruits.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Wow I am terrible at this game. I suck at RTSs generally, but this is the first one I've played in a while with no pause time option. My brain cannot handle this :(

You can adjust the game speed during RTS, though. "Ctrl" + "+/-", I think.
Also it gets much easier once you get the hang of it, which early on consists mostly of spamming units and later also in using the right ablities.
Actually I just researched Juggernauts and bulldozed the rest of the game. Ah well, the brief challenge early on was cool.

Not bad, can't help but be a bit underwhelmed by it. I was really looking forward to playing it and it sounded like exactly the kind of game I should love, but in the end, it felt a bit shallow even allowing for it being a mix of genres (RTS possibly excluded, I can't even tell whether that part was good or not) - maintaining 90-100% happiness with every race was pretty trivial even without trying to game it. Custom scenarios should be fun, though, definitely going to play a few of those and tinker with the options. Should provide decent replay value.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
maintaining 90-100% happiness with every race was pretty trivial even without trying to game it
It is doable. I, on the other hand, have antagonized the undead to 0% even before finishing the first Act.
It is cool that you are able to do either, but I have not noticed much impact on the gameplay.

Heresiarch

Prophet
maintaining 90-100% happiness with every race was pretty trivial even without trying to game it
It is doable. I, on the other hand, have antagonized the undead to 0% even before finishing the first Act.
It is cool that you are able to do either, but I have not noticed much impact on the gameplay.

Low % really makes RTS in provinces with those races really hard to play as it direcly affect the maximum support you can have. With 10 to 20% you can have like only 200 support during RTS, which translates into at most 20 medium or heavy units in the field at the same time, while the AI can have a hundred or two. The AI will simply flood you over with superior numbers. It's even worse while playing on Hard because you need to hold out an extra minute before you can spawn as a dragon, and then even by the time you can spawn out the AI would probably instagib you with overwhelming numbers of Grenadiers.

Speaking of races and provinces, I find it extremely weird that there's no human race and human province despite major race in the universe is still human.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Speaking of races and provinces, I find it extremely weird that there's no human race and human province despite major race in the universe is still human.
Yes, lore-wise this game makes little sense. It is also shoved into the Divinity setting rather artificially. Not that the setting was very coherent between previous games anyway.

Gord

Arcane
I think you (i.e. the dragon knight) are supposed to represent the humans.
No idea about the provinces, though.

Last edited:

Name

Cipher
One common setting of the whole divinity series is the Seven civ races I guess.
In this game you represents human, the wizard represents wizard, and five councilman represents the other five fantasy races lol.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Low % really makes RTS in provinces with those races really hard to play as it direcly affect the maximum support you can have. With 10 to 20% you can have like only 200 support during RTS, which translates into at most 20 medium or heavy units in the field at the same time, while the AI can have a hundred or two. The AI will simply flood you over with superior numbers. It's even worse while playing on Hard because you need to hold out an extra minute before you can spawn as a dragon, and then even by the time you can spawn out the AI would probably instagib you with overwhelming numbers of Grenadiers.
Larian should have communicated this mechanics better, because it seems it plays a huge roles in the RTS battles.

Heresiarch

Prophet
OMG I feel immediately fall in love with Swen after reading that. I love managers who actually reflect on their own mistakes. Comparing to the excuses EA and M$ higher ups always make Swen is a fucking saint.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
For Dragon Commander, at present digital sales make up 85% of our revenu and retail only represents 15%. If you take into account that the digital lifecycle of a game is a lot longer than its retail counterpart, and also a bit more profitable, then numbers like this tell the entire picture – if you have to choose where to put your effort, put it in the digital side. The mistake I made was that I had our studio do pretty much the opposite of that, for all the wrong reasons. As a consequence, a large portion of our publishing investments were done in the retail side of things and that automatically meant that certain digital opportunities were lost, because obviously, we couldn’t do everything. That wasn’t such a clever move.

I guess the thing I regret the most about my misplaced belief in retail was that I let it affect our flexibility so much. Small teams like us gain part of their competitive advantage from our ability to quickly make changes when needed, and I feel I was a fool for manouvering ourselves into a position that handicapped this flexibility.

Dexter This is relevant to your interests.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You have to be delusional not to realize digital sales massively trump retail these days -- box and/or anti-DRM fetishes aside.

Also:

...and allowed us to focus on the core release, which a Steam release is in the modern day PC market.

GabeN uber alles. Swen knows what's what.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
15% is higher than I would've guessed. In "our" market physical is just so irrelevant. No shock there. Oh well, as long as the game did well!

Raze

Larian Studios
Developer
He has an old post where he said that retail sales are still important, yadda yadda.

The point of that blog post was to argue that retail wasn't so much worse than digital that it wasn't worth doing. It considered the lower margins and extra effort required compared to digital, but not the impact a retail version would have on the release schedule, etc, discussed in the latest blog post.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Yup, despite how people often call EA and M$ alike crazy for promoting "digital future", the reality is digital is much more convenient to operate for all parties involved. No transport cost involved, sales can be made easily, marketing is easy, consumers can buy easily, etc. Of course the difference between EA and Steam is Steam games are mostly DRMless while for EA we all know their policy.

My last three games I bought with a box were Witcher 2, Shogun 2 and Diablo 3. But the only useful thing were the CD keys, and by now I've left all the box behind at my old home because I would simply not bring them along with me.

Gord

Arcane
Yup, despite how people often call EA and M$ alike crazy for promoting "digital future", the reality is digital is much more convenient to operate for all parties involved.

Now I'm aware that I might be an anomaly, but I still prefer boxed copies from retail when applicable.
Why? Because DL'ing a 10+GB game takes fucking ages on my 6Mbit connection.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom