Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Larian's Dragon Commander - Released

made

Arcane
especially with indie games offering better and better value and replayability every week.
Yea? Which ones?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yea? Which ones?
Don't Starve, Binding of Isaac, FTL, and lots of other roguelike-like games out there that are replayable for ages. Plus there's stuff like Expeditions: Conquistador that can be approached with many different strategies. What I'm saying there is basically "indie games aren't always 5 hour experiences that cost you $5, and sometimes your money goes a really long way."

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm quite an average twitch RTS player, so the RTS battles are challenging enough to me to say the least. But after a few battles, they become quite a chore. They are always the same - kill the enemy - missions with no variety. And do I feel right that on normal difficulty and above the AI cheats sometimes? I had a battle where I controlled every point of the map except the enemy's base, yet he spawned a dozen units in a blink of an eye. And he rushed me with them, making me lose the match. Quite a shame, because everything else is very good IMO. The artstyle is unique and vivid, the music is simply amazing, I'm loving it. The characters are interesting and funny, the writing is good, honestly, it is hard to find a part of the game that I don't like. Apart from the RTS battles of course.

Where did this JC go?

Heresiarch

Prophet
Barely started and I like the game. I do understand that the RTS part can become a bit of chore later on, it seems that's the case with most games that have repeatable RTS missions and that every battle need to be started from scratch (Dark Crusade, Space Rangers 2, and a couple others that I forgot).

Please tell me there's an option to feed Catherine to you-know-what. Three times I sided with her, and each time I get smack talk afterwards. Nor does she remember that I've helped out before and goes all bull dyke on me.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
Please tell me there's an option to feed Catherine to you-know-what. Three times I sided with her, and each time I get smack talk afterwards. Nor does she remember that I've helped out before and goes all bull dyke on me.

you can't do that with generals, only wives

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
She will bend if you keep supporting her.

Warping the views/principles of the arranged brides is hilarious. "Sure, bend the law just a little bit. You're not going to let him get away on a technicality are you?"

Edit: But I never want to hear Yorick say the word 'orgy' ever again.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Bad gameplay/fun conversations also describes Alpha Protocol yet Chick liked that one. Funny guy.
A couple more days and it'll be off the list entirely.
Another accurate prediction. Plenty of people playing other multiplayer RTSes, but not this one. :)

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Tom Chick gave dragon Commander 4/10. Well, at least it's in very good company (He had his five minutes of fame with his Deus Ex review back in the day).

http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2013/08/12/kitchen-sink-not-included-in-dragon-commander/

Fanboys are all the same no matter the genres or the system they play.Some sweet tears with most of his low score reviews.When we talk about strategy games I find his taste close to mine.
WargameAB-5 stars
CoH2- 1 star
Civ5 BNW - 2 stars
:salute:

And for witnessing real butthurt check the Halo 4 ,Journey and The Last of Us comments. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

communard

Arcane
The fact that Tom's reviews get listed on Metacritic results in his comment field being absolutely hilarious whenever he gives a game that hasn't been universally panned a score lower than 4. Makes his site worth visiting once in a while.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
While I think his overall critique is accurate (game seems like an undisciplined mishmash of genres to appeal to everyone) it's pretty hilarious that his review is no more than forty or so sentences. Be even funnier if he got a review copy. Is this what passes as 'journalism' these days?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What a fucking shitty review. It barely toutches anything but the RTS part. Sure, that is the weakest part of the game, but isn't it a bit convenient to focus on the bad part and dismiss all that is good.

Edit: He gave Metro LL, Brutal Legend 5 stars, maybe he is not a bad guy afterall. :smug:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
For us not living in the US... who's Tom Chick? never mind, I googled him. But I still have no idea why is he better than 50 000 other gaming bloggers and his reviews are counted towards metacritic average. This is one of the reasons that metacritic is a flawed concept overall.

Last edited:

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Good thing he gets destroyed in the comments.

Why? He's completely right in all his criticisms. The game is a mess.

What criticisms? The guy can't even form a single coherent thought in this "review". All we learn, is that he apparently doesn't like the genre mixing that's going on and particularily doesn't like the RTS part. Why, he doesn't really say. That review epitomizes everything, that's wrong with modern gaming journalism. I don't have a problem with his score, but i do have a problem with how fucking shallow he is.

dieu

Learned
While I think his overall critique is accurate (game seems like an undisciplined mishmash of genres to appeal to everyone) it's pretty hilarious that his review is no more than forty or so sentences. Be even funnier if he got a review copy. Is this what passes as 'journalism' these days?

This 689-word review will be counted on metacritic.

The fact that Tom's reviews get listed on Metacritic results in his comment field being absolutely hilarious whenever he gives a game that hasn't been universally panned a score lower than 4. Makes his site worth visiting once in a while.
Look at the drama when he gave bioshock infinite 3/5. That review was removed from metacritic though, because... Idk, they remove outliers or something for some super retarded reason.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Well, I played the game some. Very meh so far. The writing is... OK. The mechanics are... OK. The visuals are... OK. Let's see what happens.

The very issue with FTL is that it has way too little content (and as such, suffers from lack of replayability when its genre is all about that). Honestly, I get why everybody praises FTL so much; it's core mechanics are soooooooooooooooooooooo tiiiiiiiiiiiight. It just has way too little content to take advantage from that.

Seriously, I fucking loved the mechanics but I couldn't bear to play the game more than 7 or 8 hours, and if I pick it up again I get bored instantly because I've already seen all the content and know how 80% of my playthrough will turn out no matter what happens.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Got through 2/3 of chapter 2 and I think I've finally got to enjoy the RTS part.

At first, especially in chapter 1, when you're locked with shitty dragon skills and weaksauce troopers, the RTS part was a really shitty experience because your dragon can't do shit and your troops are weak as hell to win fights unless you have superior numbers. Once got through the middle of chapter 2, with most of the important dragon skills and troop with their abilities unlocked things went much more smooth and fun because you can finally customize your winning strategy.

For people who prefer a purer RTS experience, you can load up your dragon with all kinds of army buff , debuff and healing spells and overbuff your troops to near invincible and steamroll everything. I haven't tried this method but I think it will be pretty awesome to buff your troops with 200% extra damage with constant healing buffs and watch them kill masses of paralyzed enemies. For me since I'm getting too old to play with twitchy RTS, I've loaded up my dragon with AOE and self buffing spells and obliterate enemy armies with huge fireballs while my own army slowly advance to take over locations. It plays almost exactly like a good fashioned ACT game, provided that your starting base can survive the dragon spawn timer.

I think the RTS part is less tedious than Space Rangers 2's (except for the very limited variety of map design, in SR2 there are many interesting maps), especially Larian did pretty good with combining the RTS control with dragon control and the effort shouldn't go unnoticed. The RTS part I think is just fun enough without getting really tedious (then again, I'm a person that can endure 25+ RTS missions in SR2 every playthrough without any ill effect so YMMV) because the time limit, and how your dragon can really influence the outcome. They could ditch the RTS part but then you won't be able to blast stuff as a dragon. They can ditch the Raven and TBS part and make it into a pure RTS experience and make it play like Uprising or Battlezone - both were really awesome RTS/FPS BTW - but then you can't enjoy the politics and TBS. If you complain about the integration between the different element, I think that is a valid point, though it's a obviously a very complicated thing to do. Think about it: in SR2 there is almost zero integration between the different game parts - RTS, text adventure, arcade shooting, turn based RPG, 4X - yet somehow it created a very lively universe that makes you feel that everything is connected. In DC if such connections are as strong is debatable, but I think Larian did a pretty good job so far and things can be fixed with patches and expansions.

BTW the game really should put those hints & tips in the loading screen in a place somewhere to read. It contains TONS of USEFUL tips that a lot are not found in the manual.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom