Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Pre-Release Thread

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Lol okay. So you played the game for an hour, quit, and then imagined playing 10 more hours and finding "powerful axes"? What drugs are you tripping on?
I played for significantly more than an hour. According to my save files, I played nearly every day for a week. You think I'm lying so here's proof:
34979c1.jpg

The tinypic captcha on this was "wide berth"; they know what to give Divine Divinity.

Evaluating the "loot treadmill" in a single dungeon full of the same enemies indeed. lol.
Diablo is literally a single dungeon; 16 levels worth. The catacombs in DD are five levels deep.

What's wrong, did the 500 skeletons you kill not have funny dialogue? How surprising!
The dialogue in the first town and on the farm wasn't entertaining. Unsurprisingly, DD and Div2 had nearly entirely different writing teams, sharing only one member in common.

What's wrong, Roguey, why do you care about art more than gameplay?
I don't understand why you'd have that impression. Unless OS includes total-player-wiping battles on a regular basis, its gameplay will be just as timesinky as DD's.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity

The rather powerful and similar axes that you find in the first dungeon are part of a quest, you dunce. :roll:

You find axes and bring them to an orc chieftain that tries them all on his cronies to check if they're the one he's looking for...

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
So about that campaign the Codex is running. We got in contact with Myrthos from the Watch earlier, and agreed on:

$1000 = 5 extra digital copies, distribute as you see fit
$2000 = 10 extra digital copies, distribute as you see fit + a book written by RPGWatch (e.g. with lore about the Watch, namedropping allowed, approved by our writer)
$2500 = 20 extra digital copies, distribute as you see fit + book + a watchtower in the game like in their logo + reading the book gives a skill appropriate to the content

As you see, no talking books here, so keep ideas similar in terms of work to something like this.

About offering DC: we got green light to do this from our investors. We of course hope to still sell lots of DC copies through other channels once it's released. We do realize that we're not giving DC the attention it deserves at the moment, but as soon as KS is over, that's gonna change.
This statue for $2,500... How big can we make it?

:rpgcodex:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The rather powerful and similar axes that you find in the first dungeon are part of a quest, you dunce. :roll:
And yet they were the only worthwhile weapons I found in that entire place and that maul definitely isn't an axe.

Giving you nothing but shit drops followed by a bunch of awesome stuff you can't even use until hours later = fail. Typical European RPG cargo cult design.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I played for significantly more than an hour. According to my save files, I played nearly every day for a week.
It took you a week to get through the beginner newbie dungeon (TM)? :thumbsup:

Diablo is literally a single dungeon; 16 levels worth. The catacombs in DD are five levels deep, and then you play the rest of the game.

Art! Timesink! Loot treadmill! More gaming jargon to make myself sound smart!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I don't understand the whys or the hows, but I'm a really slow player. That dungeon also had over 500 skeletons. It's not going to take an hour. I also cleared out the 150 orcs surrounding the town for god knows what reason. Contrary to the anecdote, frogs eventually do jump out of slowly boiling water.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
The secret to breeze through the beginning is simply to use a bow...
But only a genius could have figured that out.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yes, i suspect that they still have not reconsidered their opinions on random loot with random stats and without lore (i hate it too). But the century mobs at least should be a impossibility here, simply due to TB.
The danger is still with terribad encounter design, like ToEE had sometimes (due to either not smart enough or not dumb enough - scripting - AI).

But fuck it, i will and did play for the privilege of playing a ultima7 clone in TB with a editor. Just make the first dungeon optional with some smart moves (like using the pyramid, but with the door *unlocked*; or just fucking off somewhere else - not on the same area so it's not obvious, but this is demanding me - and finding a alternate quest that does the same thing for the quest hook).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I did use a bow; the one I stole from the first shop. Look at my damage stats.

Hahaha ITT we find out that Roguey sucks at games.
No, I'm just slow. It's not like I was dying, except to the optional encounters that were meant to kill you. Like that damage sponge heavy hitting spider in the final level of the dungeon.

Also keep in mind that I play like an hour or two a day since I'm not some no-life loser who marathons games for hours at a time. :smug:

Murk

Arcane
You don't need to -- that entire dungeon only takes a few hours, but you're right; you got important things to do like obsessively collect and align quotes from people on various topics to then repeat back other people.

kazgar

Arcane
Could our campaign contributions go towards removing the watchtower?
Better would be if our contribution would count towards a big red troll statue erected on mooning at the watchtower's burned down remains.

Fixed!

The $2000 level sounds like a good goal, though beating the watch sounds like a better goal.

I'm finally playing my first larian game (DKS Developers Cut) and having a blast, need to wait until next payday to pledge though.

Murk

Arcane
I assumed that was implied and was beneath a refined gentleman's status to directly bring up /monocle

Zeriel

Arcane
Hahaha ITT we find out that Roguey sucks at games.
No, I'm just slow. It's not like I was dying, except to the optional encounters that were meant to kill you. Like that damage sponge heavy hitting spider in the final level of the dungeon.

Also keep in mind that I play like an hour or two a day since I'm not some no-life loser who marathons games for hours at a time. :smug:

Proud of not playing games for hours at a time. Because that would make them a no-life loser.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It should actually be:

If codex raises more
Red Troll attacks and burns tower
(Depending on how art asset heavy that would require, we would rather you spend very little time on this, spend the rest on making the game more great).

If Watch raises more
Tower shoots the Red Troll dead.
(Same art assets stuff mentioned above).

Friendly competition... (of which we all benefit). Could possibly check with the watch and see if they agree with this challenge.

Gord

Arcane

You find axes and bring them to an orc chieftain that tries them all on his cronies to check if they're the one he's looking for...

He, I didn't know you could do this. I brought them all to town to have them identified and sold the wrong axes. Nice touch.

Also, I for one welcome the idea of our old moderator overlord.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom