Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Larian General Discussion Thread

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Makes me wonder, how many IP owners have been "courting" Larian to make an RPG with their IP after D:OS (2) success?

Wizard of the Coast, Paradox/White Wolf, Rebellion (2000 AD), Funcom/Heroic Signatures (Robert E. Howard IPs), and Games Workshop all come to my mind.

Mortmal

Arcane
Fabulously optimistic ? Maybe , we know for sure there's D&D games in production, they could ask some subpar studio to do it and then we end up with another sword coast legend, another financial failure Or...The guys in charge may notice larian has experience, is reliable and top seller on steam then negotiate with them. Divinity orignal sin 2 engine is perfect for a D&d game, they could even recycle some of its assets into the dragonlance campaign, then sell as many adventure packs DLC as possible . Could be a formidable cash cow , i cant be the only one to see that, if they dont that at wotc , they really hate money.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
With WoftC we know they are already in amicable contact anyway. Plus WotC aren't exactly picky in handing out their IP, so it really should only be a matter of time.

However, one could consider the possibility that Larian actually values their creative control so much and that they have grown so big that they rather stick to their own IPs. Considering how happy Obsidian are maybe its not that desireable after all to do a licenced game. But if they do, I'd put my money on DnD for sure.

Edit: Come to think of it, there is one more possibility: Sven going after the Ultima IP.

Xeon

Augur
If they work on someone else's IP, can they still get royalties or do they have to reach a certain limit like with Obsidian and FNV.

Its probably more profitable for Larian just to stay and work on their own IPs if if they are making something other than Divinity related since it seems to be working for them.

EDIT:
This is off topic, If WotC are keen on handing out their IPs, how come Inxile didn't just make another Torment in the same world as PST since its already rich.

Mustawd

If they work on someone else's IP, can they still get royalties or do they have to reach a certain limit like with Obsidian and FNV.

Totally dependent on the contract they sign.

agris

Arcane
Patron
All right! With Larian's writing talent, captivating art style and demonstrated mastery of itemization and combat encounter design, I can't wait for them to dive into established PnP IP!

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

Its probably more profitable for Larian just to stay and work on their own IPs if if they are making something other than Divinity related since it seems to be working for them.

EDIT:
This is off topic, If WotC are keen on handing out their IPs, how come Inxile didn't just make another Torment in the same world as PST since its already rich.

Do I remember wrong, or has there been some talk about bad blood since Interplay era between Fargo and WotC?

Mustawd

My understanding was there was an accounting error at Interplay that caused them to lose the D&D license.

Another reason to make sure to pay your accountants well. In fact, you should overpay and underwork them. By a lot. Do it. Now.

Fargo, if you're reading this I'm available to work as your overpaid accountant. I cannot guarantee I will not spend 80% in shoutbox or discord.

Thanks,

Mustawd (I'm an accountant).

Modron

Arcane
My understanding was there was an accounting error at Interplay that caused them to lose the D&D license.

Another reason to make sure to pay your accountants well. In fact, you should overpay and underwork them. By a lot. Do it. Now.

Fargo, if you're reading this I'm available to work as your overpaid accountant. I cannot guarantee I will not spend 80% in shoutbox or discord.

Thanks,

I don't recall the loss of the dnd license being some kind of accident, didn't Herve make the executive decision to only pay for the console license so he could cut costs while still being able to pop out another dark alliance?

Mustawd

don't recall the loss of the dnd license being some kind of accident

If you were an accountant you'd know this. However, you are not one. It's ok. No one is perfect.

On or about February 23, 2004, we received correspondence from the holder of the D&D license alleging that we had failed to pay royalties due under the D&D license as of February 15, 2004. If we are unable to cure this alleged breach of the license agreement, we may lose our remaining rights under the license, including the rights to continued distribution of BALDUR'S GATE: DARK ALLIANCE II. The loss of the remaining rights to distribute games created under the D&D license could have a significant negative impact on future operating results.

From their 2003 10-K:
http://sec.edgar-online.com/interplay-entertainment-corp/10-k-annual-report/2004/04/27/section7.aspx

agris

Arcane
Patron
Interesting Mustawd v2, do you have any idea if this has ever been brought up in an interview with Mr. Wells Fargo?

Fairfax

Arcane
Do I remember wrong, or has there been some talk about bad blood since Interplay era between Fargo and WotC?
They seemed to hint at it, yes.

Thanks,

I don't recall the loss of the dnd license being some kind of accident, didn't Herve make the executive decision to only pay for the console license so he could cut costs while still being able to pop out another dark alliance?
It was no accident, and they kept Dark Alliance as part of the settlement with Atari.

Mustawd

Interesting Mustawd v2, do you have any idea if this has ever been brought up in an interview with Mr. Wells Fargo?

I don't know if it has. To be honest, I'd be surprised if the not payong royalties part was truly an accident. It kind of smells like they intentionally did it to save some money. As an accountant, not paying royalties when due is beyond retarded. Let me explain why:

Royalties works both ways. In other words not only is there accounting on behalf of the company who buys the license to the IP, but the licensing company also has accounting setup to record the royalty revenue.

Oftentimes, the licensee (e.g. Interplay) will send quarterly or even monthly royalty reports to the licensor (D&D owner). These reports outline how much was sold etc and how much royalty is owed. So it's not like one day someone woke up at Wotc or Tsr or whoever owned D&D and said "OMFG guys! Interplay totally owes us royalties, lah!!"

More than likely what happened was that Interplay, probably strapped for cash, decided to sit on it, didn't send out royalty funds, and likely ignored repeated attempts by wotc/tsr/whoever to contact them about it. Fed up, wotc/tsr/whatever then probably invoked legal cause in the licensing agreement to pull the license rights cuz they were tired of Herv's shit.

Ignoring communications is actually not that uncommon with companies who are going bankrupt. Everyone and their mother wants to get paid what's due and they be all "yah, we're almost outta money bro, so we're gonna ghost you". Not sure if Interplay was in bankruptcy proceedings at that point though.

I mean all this is speculation ofc. I'd have to look at some of the 2003 and 2004 10Qs to get a better sense of the financial condition they were in. But meh. I'm too busy working my ass off right now.

EDIT: Looks like Fairfax's post comfirms my suspicion.

Last edited by a moderator:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Few more Michael tweets:

I think they've been looking for trailer producer for some time, but they're promoting it again recently. I guess they really need one for something right now...

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
220px-Ubik%281stEd%29.jpg

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Devin John Doyle (writer of Sebille IIRC) left Larian recently: https://www.linkedin.com/in/devinjohndoyle/

Hot news.

I've had three fabulous years at Larian Studios, working with a fantastic crew of amazing people on the extraordinary Divinity: Original Sin 2. (It was... ahem... superlative.) I learned tons about writing, about making games, and about being human. It's been a privilege.

I can't talk about what Larian are up to next, but I can tell you it's going to be amazing.

Me? For family reasons (real ones, this isn't a euphemism) I'm going back freelancing. (Alright, alright, I'm open to full-time job offers if the right opportunity comes along.)

Let me help make your awesome game even more awesomer! Hit me up.

I'm also working on some films and TV projects for Aoife Lennon-Ritchie to take to market. More on those in like five years or whenever because that's how long these things take to develop.

Exciting times!

(Please employ me.)

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Hangs out with Bioware school of developers:

Last edited by a moderator:

Xeon

Augur
I hope they didn't change their mind and decided to release an EE or something like that, that will be a let down.

Fingers crossed for a new RPG.

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
I believe it's a DLC for Malady's request

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom