Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lands of Lore - the Throne of Chaos

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
And it is short enough so you don't get bored with the simple mechanics and combat. Make sure to get the CD version, it has way better music IIRC.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
just watch its LP while eating KFC.
you aint missing shit.

:kfc:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The CD version is superior in every way, so play that if possible.

However, and this is more of a personal note, the intro was better in the floppy disk version. While the intro was voiced, therer were no "big-name" celebs involved with it back then, so King Richard sounds less Shakesperian, which made him feel more human to me. He sounds like he's about to crap his pants when he hears that Scotia has found the Nether Mask. Moreover, the music is slightly different which gives the game a more "epic" feel.

As for the differences in the four main characters:

Ak'shel can cast Lvl 4 Sparks right off the bat, which tells you that he'll be the superior spellcaster throughout the entire game.
Michael sucks as a spellcaster, but can swing a sword alright... to begin with. To be honest, I found him trailing behind as the game progressed.
Kieran's quickness means two things: He acts twice as fast as anyone else, and he also has some natural armour, unlike the other characters. He can't wear any shoes, which means his shown armour rating will always be lower than usual. Playing as Kieran is as close to "Hard mode" as you can get in LoL.
Conrad is the Jack of All Trades. He's actually a very good choice for most players.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah I finished the game with Conrad, he works perfectly. He was pretty bad ass by the time I got to the final battle.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah I finished the game with Conrad, he works perfectly. He was pretty bad ass by the time I got to the final battle.
By the time you get to the final battle you have multiple insta-win buttons, so it's not really an issue who you picked.

DraQ

Arcane
The CD version is superior in every way, so play that if possible.

However, and this is more of a personal note, the intro was better in the floppy disk version. While the intro was voiced, therer were no "big-name" celebs involved with it back then, so King Richard sounds less Shakesperian, which made him feel more human to me. He sounds like he's about to crap his pants when he hears that Scotia has found the Nether Mask. Moreover, the music is slightly different which gives the game a more "epic" feel.

As for the differences in the four main characters:

Ak'shel can cast Lvl 4 Sparks right off the bat, which tells you that he'll be the superior spellcaster throughout the entire game.
Michael sucks as a spellcaster, but can swing a sword alright... to begin with. To be honest, I found him trailing behind as the game progressed.
Kieran's quickness means two things: He acts twice as fast as anyone else, and he also has some natural armour, unlike the other characters. He can't wear any shoes, which means his shown armour rating will always be lower than usual. Playing as Kieran is as close to "Hard mode" as you can get in LoL.
Conrad is the Jack of All Trades. He's actually a very good choice for most players.
How would you divide specializations in the party when playing teh furry?

Kahlis

Cipher
I never understood the statistics system in Lands of Lore. For instance, what is "Magic" on character selection? Potency of spells? Starting magic points? And then are Might and Protection modifiers or simply their starting values prior to equipping any items (if this is the case then the difference wouldn't be all that appreciable).

I'm currently playing as Ak'shel and I mostly use him for spellcasting whilst Baccata handles melee combat. But I know that I'll be getting Paulson soon, and wonder if there's really any point in dividing roles as is being discussed in this thread. Similarly, I have a bunch of crossbows and throwing stars but they don't seem particularly useful.

These nagging things aside it's a great experience, although I can only ever play it in small sessions or I get burnt out pretty quickly.

Are you saying there was some voice acting in the floppy release before they did a full talkie version? That would be kind of cool, although I thought Patrick Stewart aside the CD version of the intro was pretty good - the animation gives it a very somber, cinematic feel in spite of the sometimes inconsistent voice acting. Dat fist slam.

PetrusOctavianus

Educated
So, are you supposed to take the ship to the Southlands right away, or are you supposed to explore places like Draracle's Cave first?

Anyway, so far the game feels more like a point and click Adventure game than Dungeon Master.

Also, the game doesn't seem to like Alt-Tab'ing. When I return to the game the mouse is very sluggish and unresponsive.

Murk

Arcane
I believe it is intended for you to go to Southland Forest right away -- don't worry, you'll be back.

Minor spoiler re: equipment and a party member:

The elf leaves you when you're done with the Ruby of Truth, take his gear if you want it.

The only two truly permanent party members are Baccata and Paulson, the others usually leave you after a specific quest is done.

Kahlis

Cipher
I don't think there's anything you can explore before going to the Southlands, other than the one forest area around Gladstone as well as the Thugs' Cave.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Kahlis: Yes, the intro was voice-acted. Maybe the outro as well, but nothing else.

Mikayel is right, you go through the Draracle Caves after you return from the Southlands.

As for ranged weapons - the only ranged weapon that seemed to do any damage for me was the Valkyrie Crossbow, which shoots a firebolt instead of a normal crossbow bolt. You won't find any decent ranged weapons until you can buy the Arbalests in Yvel City anyway.

As to how the "levels" work - they are gained depending on damage dealt with an appropriate weapon. Melee weapons give Knight levels, ranged weapons give Rogue levels and magic attacks give Mage levels.

Oh, and for those wanting humour in LoL - talk to the patrons when you get to the bar in Yvel City. :)

DraQ

Arcane
As to how the "levels" work - they are gained depending on damage dealt with an appropriate weapon. Melee weapons give Knight levels, ranged weapons give Rogue levels and magic attacks give Mage levels.
It's like in those jokes we made about dumbing down of TES series, except for real.

Was it not for its saving graces -
fantastic graphics, environment and a real arthurian legend feel to it, like a modern fairytale
- this game would be a reviled turd.

Murk

Arcane
Basically, the game pretty much has 3 stats (STR, DEX, INT) and everything else is just a derivation of that based on element and item/spell stat. The game's super simple.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Well, considering that the "predecessor" to LoL are the EOB games, which *barely* use the AD&D system and have next to no choice and consequence, what did you expect?

Dungeon Master made you gain ninja levels by punching air

PetrusOctavianus

Educated
Only wankers would repeatedly punch air, and then giggle like little girls at the thought of their cunning plan, when they see their skills rise.

But back on topic:
I found Roland's treasury and it's time to get back to Gladstone. Only the passage on ship costs 100 gold per person, and after buying some stuff from Buck I only have 177 Gold, and Buck won't buy anything.
Am I screwed?

Also, what's up with that big named axe the Orc leader wielded? I'd think it would be better than a simple mace, but unless there's some hidded power to it, it is worse.

Kahlis

Cipher
I think named weapons don't have any unique properties other than having unique names. The stats may be slightly better than the base weapons.

I could've sworn you could find a stash of money in Roland's place - something to the tune of 300 or 400 crowns, that basically ensured you had enough money to get back. That's just how idiotproof the game tries to be...

PetrusOctavianus

Educated
I could've sworn you could find a stash of money in Roland's place - something to the tune of 300 or 400 crowns, that basically ensured you had enough money to get back. That's just how idiotproof the game tries to be...

I found the stack of money, but it can't have been that much. I had 1 (one) gold piece to start with, then found Roland's stash, bough a pair of boots, a shield and a healing salve from Buck, and now I only have 177 Gold.
Nut nevermind, it seems Buck will only buy the same items that he sells. So he'll buy back the boots for the same price, but he won't buy sandals.

PetrusOctavianus

Educated
Despite its simplicity and being more hack and slash than puzzles and cleverness, I enjoy this game.
Amongst the real time blobbers I think I'll rate it after Chaos Strikes Back, Dungeon Master and Black Crypt, but before Eye of the Beholder and Abandoned Places.

It reminds me a bit of Betrayal at Krondor, in that you only control 2 or 3 characters, the cast (except the main character) changes a bit, and some characters even die. But what's ironic is that LoL had beautiful handdrawn art and BaK had goofy actors in costumes, while with their sequels it was the other way around, from what I've read.

One thing really pissed me off, and that was that invincible "Jabba" in the mines. First you lose all your weapons and armour and then you find no spells have any effect. I had to consult a walktthrough to find out that the fucker can only be hurt by a Green Skull.

Also, funny that Baccata has four arms, but apparantly no fingers. :roll:

Currently I'm trying to find the "Living Sticks" and the Brass Helmet they stole from the Ghorkans. I found some Living Sticks nearby (at last I think those preying mantis creatures are "Living Sticks"), but no Brass Helmet, only a Glint Mail and a Dwarven Buckler. Or am I looking in the wrong neck of the woods swamps?

Kahlis

Cipher
I like Betrayal at Krondor's art style, honestly. The old-school fantasy prose and the redbook audio music, coupled with the costumes, make me think of an old low budget 1960s/70s medieval fantasy movie. I can almost imagine the characters conversing with one another, in low quality audio. A throwback to the days before fantasy became completely over the top and idealized and "edgy."

I fought the monster in the mines by, I kid you not, repeatedly picking up my weapons and throwing at it. I didn't know about the skull. As for the Brass Helmet, I think the drop is completely randomized and you just have to kepe looking.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Currently I'm trying to find the "Living Sticks" and the Brass Helmet they stole from the Ghorkans. I found some Living Sticks nearby (at last I think those preying mantis creatures are "Living Sticks"), but no Brass Helmet, only a Glint Mail and a Dwarven Buckler. Or am I looking in the wrong neck of the woods swamps?

Just keep exploring the swamps. Only ONE of them drops the helmet.

PetrusOctavianus

Educated
Found it at last. Turned out the last of the Living Sticks had spawned in an area I had already explored.

PetrusOctavianus

Educated
Hmm...I see to have come to a halt in the mines. On the Urbish Mining Co level there is a door that won't open. Apparantly some broken mechanism in the door. Unlike Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back brute forcing the door with an axe or a fireball is not an option.
There's also a machine on the same level. I guess it needs coal, which again I guess can be mined in the mines proper. I found a pick in the Clerk's office, but attacking the walls in the mines have no effect. I guess you need to find an actual ore first.
In the mines there is a locked door, but the one key (Iron Key) I've found does not fit, and the lock is not pickable. I wonder if that key used to hang in the Clerk's office? I've searched everywhere in the Mining Co, but no key.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom