Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Landjut vs Limeys (Wargame RD AAR)

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
With the third free expansion recently dropped (and the recent steam sale), Wargame: Red Dragon pinged on my radar again. And since a codex bro called my honour into question, I had no choice but to take up his challenge (all the while bitching and whining about it).

The stage for our fight: This idyllic little cluster of towns and farms.
8tAy0pe.jpg

Playing as the blue side, I decided to secure Delta and Foxtrot, while leaving a small backup force in Alpha to delay an enemy advance long enough to redeploy my forces. BLUFOR is a Landjut coalition of Worst Kraut and Lenmark - a new coalition option that came with the free expansion. We're running a motorized deck, consisting mainly of good value-for-points infantry, backed up by a contingent of helicopters, aircraft and support material. REDFOR is running an all-british tank regiment, having large numbers of cheap cheiftains and centurions.
0PG7ku9.jpg

For the initial push, BLUFOR decides to go for speed. Helicopters rush to the villages in Alpha, Delta and Foxtrot, carrying German Fallschmirjägers and Danish Jæger corps scouts
G61LmP7.jpg

Once they're dug in, they'll be reinforced by AA and AT infantry in APCs armed with MILAN anti-tank missiles
9PStxAn.jpg

REDFOR (through the magic of switching fog of war in the replay) opts for a spearhead of medium tanks, backed up by small contingents of infantry
2vPjg5g.jpg

While helicopters are nice of getting infantry to where they're needed quickly, transport helos become a liability during firefights. They're fragile, (fairly) expensive and usually poorly armed if armed at all. Once they've delivered their cargo, the helos are pulled back to the edge of the map. We're playing for the first to destroy 2000 points of the other guys material. Landjut does not leave point pi~natas in easy reach of the enemy.
Zyr7x0m.jpg

First contact! Jægers in the factory near the north end of Foxtrot spot the first REDFOR troops! Foxtrot was wher eI deployed my first command vehicle, hoping to draw the enemy towards it. There's plenty of open terrain north of Foxtrot, making it all but impossible for REDFOR to get close undetected
L1a7vPW.jpg

The FV510 warrior is a lightly-armored APC. No doubt the foul limeys thought to seize the northern end of Foxtrot, gambling on my forces being deployed in the south.
Kvmvw7c.jpg

They are backed up by a Jaguar bomber, looking for any BLUFOR units caught out in the open.
U7kNyPb.jpg

A pair of Fliegerfaust rockets streak out towards it, confirming the BLUFOR presence even as the Jaguar evacs
7kuasri.jpg

But it is too late! The REDFOR APCs have wandered too close to the Landjut anti-tank infantry.
GWr5I7V.jpg

Their front armor is worfully undermatched, and a single AT rocket lights one up in a ball of flame. No burning troops crawl from the wreckage however. It would seem REDFOR already dropped them off elsewhere.
oQkAaMq.jpg

REDFOR sends a Gazelle in to scout the troop dispositions, but it is a much softer target than the Jaguar. The Fliegerfausts make short work of it.
X4ZoLns.jpg

The Chieftains follow shorly after. They have thicker frontal armor than the FV510. The AT infantry is armed with MILAN-2 rockets however, so they will still have to tread carefully.
5hi6TKC.jpg

:smug:
4ssg3Xd.jpg

The large number of tanks so early in the game convinces me that REDFOR has skimped on anti-aircraft. There's only so many points for deployment, and the British seem to have spent them all on tanks. The Danish F-16A MLUs are the perfect response! The aircraft America sold to us come armed with Maverick HEAT missiles. They cut through medium tank armor like a hot knife through butter!
XhhicTw.jpg

:yeah:
1UU27kA.jpg

the black flashing icon warns me that my AT infantry is running low in ammo. I didn't call any logistics trucks in at the start, and now I'm rather regretting it. We still have a little bite left, but a sustained assault would see BLUFOR crumble. Both sides seem comitted to fighting over Foxtrot at this point, with the rest of the map being quiet.
9Vj0z7l.jpg

The problem with Chieftain Mk 10s illustrated: One of the BLUFOR MILAN rockets just dinged off the turret.
6UJY8Cv.jpg

However, the complete lack of air defense during the F-16 strike confirmed it is safe to bring in the Choppa. They're expensive, and a proper AA emplacement will chew them up in seconds. The PAH-2 Tiger is armed with rocket pods, HEAT missiles and enhanced optics. It runs out of ammo fast, but it packs a big enough punch to take out a Chieftain or two.
3TLqtzD.jpg

...But not 7. And those are just the ones BLUFOR can see. the AT infantry is completely out of rockets at this point. The Fuchs APCs still have some, but it's clear we need supplies to hold Foxtrot.
6p8FQfe.jpg

It's going to take a while for the ammo to get there. These trucks aren't exactly fast.
oq4LF3D.jpg

Meanwhile, everything's quiet in Delta. Note the hilariously bad placement of the Command Vehicle in the northeast. Yeah.. I'm not sure what I was thinking.
K6Hlw15.jpg

The FAH-2 reminds the limy scumbags why the word 'Tiger!' makes their veterans soil their trousers
FOK9yjw.jpg

u4ohII4.jpg

ks6RUDY.png

The REDFOR Jaguar has been making 5-6 strafing runs at this point, aiming at taking out my Fuchs MILAN so he can move his tanks in. I'm down to 1 Fuchs in the forest after this run.
qsy0QGV.jpg

But the Jaguars luck finally runs out when the Fliegerfaust manage to make a rocket connect in spite of the flares.
xmAgHcM.jpg

It's clear that both sides skimped on AA. I'm guessing REDFOR will replace the Jaguar with something far mor dangerous. It is time for the danes to bring in the HAWK missiles. The danish prototype has HAWK missiles that aren't radar guided (and thus easy prey for SEAD planes), but still pack a solid punch and an inpressive range.
uFClaDk.jpg

The supply trucks are also nearly arrived at Foxtrot. Finally. Both the Tiger and the PALR are out of ammo, with UK tanks arriving in a steady stream.
CFia5A3.jpg

Their next push is announced by mortar fire towards the factory
41TaZUo.jpg

But all they manage is to inform me their scouting is inadequate, as the shells are fired on the only part of the complex we aren't occupying. :smug:
CjLyyvh.jpg

While the Tiger and ATGM infantry is rearming, the F-16As are brought in to keep the chieftains at bay
ahYJPWq.jpg

While our Kraut Fishfriends supply SEAD coverage to make sure no filthy Radar AA emplacements are around to shoot the F-16
Fow0pFg.jpg

Despite all of this, the british have managed to cross the no man's land and are now firing at our men inside the buildings.
15So0o0.jpg

The Fallschmirjäger have AT rockets, but they are nowhere near strong enough to put a dent in the Mk 10. The PALR Milan would've been a better choice, but they're too far from my supply trucks to receive ammunition. I'm hesitant to bring the supply trucks closer though. An exploding supply truck ruins infantrys day.
Yhj8wwa.jpg

A column of APCs charge the factory. The Fuchs hidden in the forest finally get their chance to shine
XKJcJx2.jpg

The first salvo of rockets miss, but still force REDFOR to disembark the troops, buying precious time for the Landjut soldiers before the fighting is building to building.
6ih3J0J.jpg

The brits have brought in eurofighter Typhoons, keeping the Landjut F-16s and Tiger FAH-2 from contributing. Once it moves too close to the Fliegerfausts, a salvo of missiles convinces it to withdraw.
ziH0Tyd.jpg

This is the opening Landjut was waiting for. The Tiger is mobilized!
GvlG341.jpg

And the last Chieftain Mk 10 is gone, allowing the Landjut soldiers to focus on enemy infantry
IhKHyfB.jpg

Infantry in buildings is ridiculously hard to kill. There are tools to make it easier, but I haven't got any of those at hand. All BLUFOR can do at this point is pray to Odin that the superior training of the elite Jægers will prevail
vxlzDzK.jpg

ZRnPJiv.jpg

REDFOR is aware of this, as mortars hammer the Jægers relentlessly
GihzvwM.jpg

A group of Panzergrenadiers in Marder-2 light tanks are called in. While the troops themselves are slightly worse than the Danish Kgl. Livgarde regiments, the amazing Marder-2 troop transports convinced me to take them instead. Most troop transports have a frontal armor value of 1 or 2, the Marder 2 rocks an amazing 10 points of frontal armor. If you're intending to drive your men towards a position held by the enemy, that extra armor will spell the difference between arriving in the town or getting blown up in the open.
79epxhQ.jpg

REDFOR is also reinforcing their men with a group of Scorpion light tanks. They can be scarily effective against infantry. And with the fusiliers keeping the Landjut soldiers too busy to fire AT missiles, they may end the fight in foxtrot before the Panzergrenadiers arrive.
KdVYpU5.jpg

Or well, they would if F-16s weren't the Viking longboats of the skies.
75mxLVq.jpg

Meanwhile BLUFOR is alerted tha tone of their command vehicles (remember the idiotically placed CV earlier in the AAR?) has been destroyed. The first APCs to died had deposited a large number of riflemen in the forest. While the fighting raged at foxtrot, the limey bastards have been sneaking up through delta.
wBUpVCf.jpg

Attempts to light them up with the Tiger nearly take a disastrous turn as they fire on it and make the pilot panic.
Scns5uK.jpg

Furthermore, the only way for BLUFOR to shoot back at them involves getting so close to the jungle the Fusiliers can use their AT rockets on the Marder-2's. :x
WEpkfsM.jpg

The Tiger survived however. And once the pilot regains control, it empties its rocket pods at the british
Oi5EKtn.jpg

With the forest in flames, the Panzergrenadiers move in for the kill
19dSRft.jpg

vrKbtbW.jpg

While all this happened, the Jæger corps and their Kraut buddies managed to kill off the invading brits. The Fallschmirjägers took the brunt of the casualties.
tPWr3f4.jpg

FV434 Falcons are lit up by the scouts as the F-16A's make another attack run.
u3HdvlO.jpg

fortunately, they both manage to escape. One of them was badly damaged however. The time of Vikings ruling the sky has come to an end.
YGs0HHf.jpg

The Fliegerfausts still work as a deterrent though. A probing Harrier is discouraged.
nrJcRfY.jpg

Through the magic of replays, this is what I didn't notice (was tunnel visioned on foxtrot). some of the riflemen in the burning jungle survived! (I had a couple of flybys by the helicopter, saw nothing and concluded they were dead). They're now waltzing towards the Landjut spawn zone, and there is nothing but juicy CVs and FOBs for them to take.
netmERE.jpg

Another group of panzergrenadiers are moving up to reinforce foxtrot as I fail to pay attention to the message that says my logistics trucks got captured. :negative:
1WQ7XTD.jpg

BLUFOR is completely focused on holding the line after REDFOR finally took control of the factory. The Otomatic is another awesome new danish unit. It makes mincemeat out of aircraft and is also very good against APCs and light tanks. Its weakness is that it uses radar to track targets. SEAD planes will hunt them down relentlessly. The plan is to make REDFOR spot the Otomatic and send them in, as SEAD planes ar expensive. As they get close, the HAWK missile batteries hidden in the treeline should take them out and catapult BLUFOR towards the 2000 points needed to win.
16kWvLM.jpg

Meanwhile, the fusiliers are using captured logistics trucks to search for my CV. More soldiers that could've stopped them drive past as I am oblivious to this... :negative:
79z3M9s.jpg

As expected, the UK bring in a Sea Harrier SEAD plane to hunt the Otomatic
yievySK.jpg

The fight is very one-sided. Unfortunately, the HAWK missiles miss their target. My gambit has failed! :x
MXRmLle.jpg

FOB is lost, I'm still not noticing this. :popamole:
jcTx4HU.jpg

CV gone. I can no longer reinforce or call in planes. This was the only reason I realized what was going on. Riflemen OP, nerf pls!
r7il7WW.jpg

[Ride of the Valkyries.mp3]
(Some of) the transport helicopters have LMGs fitted. I send them hunting for REDFOR while redirecting the Command Vehicle from Delta south towards my spawn zone.
wb5tQJP.jpg

The enemy is found! Exterminatus commences.
LDZg4Ia.jpg

Redfor brings in attack helicopters of their own to kill off my transports (remember that they're giant points pinatas at this stage). Also to deny me the ability to reclaim the spawn sector and reinforce.
mf0D3lj.jpg

'
Unfortunately, he never scouted the village in Delta. Fallschmirjägers and Fliegerfausts go to town on the advancing helicopters, ending the game at 2000 points to 970
4gk9bNQ.jpg

The BLUFOR MVP by far is the FAH-2 Tiger. It killed a terrifying number of enemy tanks and APCs, earning its points cost back many times over. My opponent cursed it afterwards. It popped up everywhere, laid down a devestating barrage and just refused to die.
NmHdvGk.jpg

GG WP ETC.
Lessons learned for both sides: Don't skimp on anti-aircraft. If one guy has unrestricted access to the skies, he will RUIN YOUR DAY. Also, pay attention to the map and messages that inform you your units are lost. 7 riflemen who make it past all your forces will cause you no end of headaches.

No doubt Undead Phoenix has his own thoughts on how the Landjut coalition are all hacking fucks and how I was a whiny little bitch that didn't want to play at first. And he'll probably mock me relentlessly the next tiem we play and he wins. Maybe he'll even make a Let's Play/AAR out of it.
:martini:

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I'm guessing you'll bring AA units this time? :3
Time to make a tank deck!

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

Round 2 + 3. First round is Conquest. You gain points every couple of seconds for holding more zones than the enemy. most points win. second round is Destruction, same as round 1.

Am too lazy to do a bunch fo screenshots right now. Undead Phoenix will have to step up to the plate for better descriptions, close-ups of exploding brits. :M

First game was pretty good. Bits of poking, but no solid commitments from either side. I tried some counter-artillery but it didn't work. EOTS HAWKs shot down a crapton of helicopters and aircraft. Swedish infantry got massacred but HELD. THE. LINE. Danish Livgarde killed a Challenger 2 (r00fles) and a bunch of recon tanks. Norwegian napalm bombers were pretty solid.

Game to was a bit... enh. We went back to playing for points. both of us invested massively in infantry and slowly bled each other to death. Highlights of the game is the AI insisting on driving all my reinforcements past Phoenix'es SAS, losing me a shitton of swedes before I realized I had to make 4-5 waypoints to drive them the safe way around. And wallhax british Rapier AAA that takes out SEAD planes sent to destroy it. Also a massive armour column that could've won me the game, but by the time I was ready to use it, there was only a fe wminutes left on the timer.

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with the Scandinavian mechanized infantry deck. They have some very solid troop choices (except swedish anti-aircraft infantry. I'm replacing those). Back that up with norwegian 1000kg bombers, napalm bombers and danish AT aircraft (Much as I love the Viggen, it underperformed compared to the F16A MLU). The Danes also has some of the best AA units in the game in form of the Otomatic and ETOS HAWK, which took out a fair number of limey aircraft. On paper, the swedish tanks are really good too. I just never got a chance to try them out, because I was too unwilling to risk them in a frontal assault.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Both sides playing NATO?

Well, I wanted to try out Landjut/Scandi and Phoenix is a britfag. I'm working on a pact deck as I type this. Trying to figure out if I'm going Eastbloc or full Potato.

Conquest?

Phoenix wanted to try it. And as you can tell from the AAR, we're both as casual as it gets.

Jesus christ. Muh precious gaym.

:negative:

omega21 we need to do something about this. Perhaps even summon Rosen.

Please do. The Codex needs more Wargame. I'm sure Undead Phoenix would be up for 2v2, provided it's not vets vs noobs. Steam tells me bonescraper is playing too. :P

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
We had another couple of games. Yesterday was Würst Germany vs Best Korea. The main problem with our games from an AAR perspective is that we both suck at multitasking. So we're playing 1v1s with failry low # of points. That keeps our fighting limited to skirmishes in 1-2 of the zones, rather than the global thermonuclear war the game was meant to be. Which in turn makes for less exciting AAR footage. Once we get a little better, I'll try and lure phoenix into some 2v2s or 4v4s so we can have a proper big battle

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom