Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Touhou Labyrinth of Touhou 2 - Expansion Disk Translation Now Available, Too

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I tought you meant other touhou game that was a TRPG. I know I saw one in the poll, just wanted to confirm whether it was good.

I actually don't think I played that one. So, no idea. If you do give it a try though, let us know.

On an unrelated note, I was actually excited about playing Genius of Sappheiros at some point, but then someone here said it pretty much sucked. Such is the way dreams are ruined.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Voted for Labyrinth as well as Devil of Decline. Which, aside from being highly appropriate for a codexian title, honestly seems somewhat interesting, at least in principle (haven't played it so no idea on the difficulty; it's not translated.)

TigerKnee

Arcane
The Touhou SRPG is "Gensou Shoujo Taisen" and it's on this list, but keep in mind that they aren't obligated to actually attempt to even bring it over. Some of the other games on the list like GoS and Labyrinth are higher contenders because the company can just buy the fan-translations and make it "official" while GST only has the first game in the series translated.

On an unrelated note, I was actually excited about playing Genius of Sappheiros at some point, but then someone here said it pretty much sucked. Such is the way dreams are ruined.
Who the hell told you that? It's basically a Touhou SaGa game.

A lot of the game flaws are fixed in the latest version too like crafting mats being too rare.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yeah, I didn't play much of Sappheiros, but the 2 hours I put into it were really fun. Overwhelming, with all those stats, special attacks, equipment slots, skills & etc that you must slowly figure out, but fun nonetheless.

Zetor

Arcane
A hardcore dungeon crawler where all characters are anime schoolgirls? ... I suppose it was bound to happen at one point.

(still voted for it though, obv)

It has the best blobber combat ever as well as just one of the best tactical RPG combats ever too.

I'm, like, 105% serious.
Better blobbing than GrimoireWiz8? My word! *monocle pop*

That said, it does look potentially interesting, despite all the :wtf_japan:. It doesn't devolve into a grindfest at any point, I hope?

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Better blobbing than GrimoireWiz8? My word! *monocle pop*

That said, it does look potentially interesting, despite all the :wtf_japan:. It doesn't devolve into a grindfest at any point, I hope?

It's a very different system from Wiz8 so it's hard to compare. I didn't find Wiz8 particularly difficult though; LoT is more challenging, imo, as it doesn't let you make too many mistakes when building your characters.

Start with Labyrinth of Touhou 2, not 1. It has a lot of random encounters (not more than any oldschool blobber though), but if you play it on Hard mode (which is what you should do) it won't let you grind because you won't be able to fight bosses when overleveled. It even has a de-leveling mechanic for that purpose. It's very "gamey"/abstract and entirely focused on party building (silly Touhou fanfaction dialogue aside).

You can grind for money I guess, but that's just stupid.

Zetor

Arcane
Sold! Yea, I was curious about grinding because so many JP dungeon crawlers seem to have near-mandatory grinding built into the endgame (and definitely the postgame).

(I need to build up my immunity to :wtf_japan: anyway...)

Damned Registrations

Yeah, in terms of what you need to defeat the bosses, grinding is never really necessary. The level caps are easy to hit, so if you're having trouble with a boss you're simply doing something wrong.

That said, two parts of the game do feel pretty grindy: The later floors take forever to explore because of their mazelike layouts that involve a lot of backtracking. And secondly, recruiting some of the characters can require fighting a lot of battles with other characters in your party, which can take a long time if you've neglected them.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Start with Labyrinth of Touhou 2, not 1.
Why?

Because you can't grind / overlevel bosses in 2 (on Hard), which is what Zetor wanted.

Both games are great and I don't think 1 is worse. (Or at least, I'd need to revisit 1 to see how exactly it compares to 2, since it's been a while since I played it.) 2 simply has a few gameplay conveniences that help ease the player into the game and make it less grind-able.

Zetor

Arcane
I haven't managed to fully get over the anime schoolgirl thing yet, but yep, this is definitely some good blobbin', and I think it'll get even better after unlocking 12 characters for crazy mid-battle switcheroo antics. I also approve of its constant fourth-wall breakage!

I suppose a dungeon run is over as soon as the tank runs out of TP, right? If I put anyone except Surly Tengu Girl in the frontline position, they tend to get splattered in a single turn (especially by groups of Kuron Nuts, eff those things), and my characters' MP pools can't handle constant buffing and/or AOE damage spam for trash fights yet.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

It tends to change as the game goes on. At some points you'll need lots of TP for your whole party (fucking AoE shit) and at others you can cruise by with just a single character wiping everyone out before they can act. Depends a lot on how you build your team.

Suicidal

Arcane
Ok, I see a lot of claims about this game's greatness but I watched a gameplay video of it and it looked quite shitty - encounter monster, spam same aoe spell over and over, kill monster, continue, repeat. Not to mention the atrocious pedophile-approved character art.

Is there something you can only get by playing the game yourself? Can someone mention at least a few good features of this game? How's the character customization, enemy variety, loot and exploration and all the other stuff that make up a blobber? Also, how does it compare to something like Wizardry 7-8, or some of the newer blobbers, which I liked, like Etrian Odyssey, Might and Magic X and Lords of Xulima?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Ok, I see a lot of claims about this game's greatness but I watched a gameplay video of it and it looked quite shitty - encounter monster, spam same aoe spell over and over, kill monster, continue, repeat. Not to mention the atrocious pedophile-approved character art.

Is there something you can only get by playing the game yourself? Can someone mention at least a few good features of this game? How's the character customization, enemy variety, loot and exploration and all the other stuff that make up a blobber? Also, how does it compare to something like Wizardry 7-8, or some of the newer blobbers, which I liked, like Etrian Odyssey, Might and Magic X and Lords of Xulima?

I have only played the first one.
Basically, the main good feature is the hardness of boss battles (the game has some of the best if not the best boss battles ever). I can try to develop.

You must pay attention to the skills they use and to their strenghts as to their weaknesses (speed, magical or physical attack with their elements, status ailment, buffs, debuffs, etc...). Many bosses are a puzzle, but even when you nearly understand what to do, they are still very hard. Generally you will have to use your 12 characters, first because some of them will die, but also because your 8 "hidden" characters regain their MPs. Compared to most other games, the bosses are (much?) harder to bet, so you have no choice but to do the things right, which brings us to character customization.
You can always change the 12 characters you use between all the ones you have already unlocked. Every character has 4-5 unique fixed skills, and various stats, element resistances and status ailment resistances. Also, besides level-ups, you have an overall total of stat points which you can distribute as you wish between stats and element resistances. Understanding a boss then preparing to rightfully fight him is very cool.

Two examples of bosses :
- very fast ,whose attacks are physical, one is aoe and the other is not, who can temporarily double his strength, is "debuffable", and relatively weak to status ailment.
- slower, with one attack on one character which totally ignore your resistances (which will one-shot any of the characters except the few with many HPs), one strong magical attack on your 4 characters, and one that can paralyze your 4 characters.
Sounds almost classic, but once again the difference with another game is that these fights are really hard (and that you have to use 12 characters), you definitely can't tackle the different fights the same way. Typically your average warrior will die of a strong magical attack, whereas your average mage will systematically die of a physical attack, this is violent during a 20 minutes battle.

Concerning other features, the loot system is very basic, the exploration is average with good floors and void ones.
The non-boss enemies are mostly not interesting (but still, some of them for example can rape you if you don't kill them first, or are very resistant to physical attacks or to magical attacks, etc...).

Suicidal

Arcane
Started playing a while back and it's surprisingly good, all the :desu: shit notwithstanding. I guess controlling an entire army of crappy weak characters that are only good at 1-2 things and throwing them to their deaths in order to delay a powerful enemy long enough for the rest of your party to kill him is something I never knew I wanted until I had it.

Suicidal

Arcane
Question about how defense works:

So I noticed that abilities can be either physical or magical independent of their damage element, like a fire or dark damage spell can be attack-based if the user is a warrior type character. Physical abilities are countered by defense, magical abilities are countered by mind. So how do I know what kind of attack type the enemy is using? I'm fighting the fire mage boss on F4 and her fire pillar skill oneshots one of my mages (the nature healer) with an absurdly high mind stat but low hp, so is it an attack damage or magic damage attack? I know her fire res sucks ass but she has the highest mind stat in the party by far. Shouldn't it amount to something at least?

Damned Registrations

You just have to trial and error these things. There are also attacks that are less affected by defense to begin with (Rumia has one that completely ignores defense in fact), as well as attacks which are affected by both stats.

The way the elemental resistances work do still allow you to completely block an attack you are weak against, if you have sufficiently high defenses. If you stat is high enough to lower the damage to 0, it doesn't matter what your elemental resistance is at all.

Suicidal

Arcane
I think one of the biggest fails of this game is that everything is so poorly explained and you have to dig around for info on external sources cause there as so many hidden numbers. Would be so awesome to have proper in-game tooltip and a combat log, kinda like the one in PoE which shows detailed info about every attack, like what the roll was, what defense was used to counter this attack, how much damage was reduced and etc.

Also, just wiped on the fire mage again because she fucking revives and oneshots your entire front row when killed gr8 b8 m8 i r8 8/8. Out of all the RPGs I've played recently this one seems to have a proper difficulty curve. First 2 floors were piss easy. 3rd was moderately difficult. This one is already making me rage internally. I think I love it.

Damned Registrations

Ah, I know that fight. Fond memories.

The game's interface is definitely lacking, but I actually enjoy figuring out what various things do and testing stuff out in game to a certain extent, so it didn't bother me much. And testing all the different abilities gives me something to do during random encounters. If I knew right away that an enemy had such and such stats, I'd find it a bit more boring I think. It's especially satisfying when you manage to get a status effect to stick on an enemy after having it fail a few times because you had a hunch it might work. Wouldn't get that feeling at all if I just knew the enemy had 50% paralysis resistance or whatever.

Then again, I also enjoyed the hell out of KotC, and that lays out all the stats for you before you even take a swing. So I guess either way would work.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Heh I didn't make it past the 5th-6th floor :(

Need to retake it one of these days, but I fear I've forgotten how the game plays and continuing will just be painful.

Suicidal

Arcane
:necro:

Just beat the game today (well the main story at least, I know there's more optional content but I dunno if I'll be doing it it usually is really grindy in JRPGs) and holy shit that was really good. I honestly did not expect to enjoy this game as much as I did and if not for this thread I wouldn't even know it existed so thank you Codex. :love:

It really is a very good combatfag game and I can't think of many other combat RPGs/dungeon crawlers that have combat encounters that are this interesting. It's also one of the very rare ones that doesn't get boring half-way through because your party becomes overpowered and you can breeze through every battle by slapping your dick on the keyboard. Here you're constantly getting new party members, which opens up new tactics, and fighting new enemies which actually require planning to defeat so it doesn't get stale. I also really liked the idea of choosing from a large pool of party members with different skills. Kinda reminds me of Darkest Dungeon except this game has way more variety.

The final boss was one of the best ones I've seen in RPGs recently. After a sea of fucking terrible final battles in recent games I've played (fighting a slightly empowered version of the guy you killed several times in Lords of Xulima, the Shadow Dragon in Divinity which deals 0 damage because all your elemental resistances are maxed out, that fucking thing I hesitate to call a final boss in Might and Magic X which is just a shit show of trash mobs that pose no threat and the bad guy occasionally appearing behind you to throw a booger and then fucking off to make room for more trash mob fiesta) this was a breath of fresh air. I actually had to plan and carefully distribute my money and stat buffing items among viable party members and I barely won, I think I had like 3 people left at the end and only one of them was capable of dealing damage to the boss.

So all in all, great game, 9/10, would recommend. A shame that most codexers will probably never play it because it looks too weaboo for them and will instead complain that no good RPGs are made anymore on the forums all day :troll:

Also if the people who made this came to Kickstarter and said "hey we're making labyrinth 3" I'd probably give 20-30 bucks. I've paid more for worse games.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I can't find a thread dedicated to LoT1. Have you people beaten LoT1? I still haven't started the second game because I wanted to firstly beat the first one, but I can't manage to win against the boss south of the 30th floor (final boss?), even after grinding a lot.

Suicidal

Arcane
Oh right, there's also a LoT1. Gotta play that as well when I have the time. After playing this game my reaction to Touhou games went from "what the fuck is this gay shit" to "I'd like more of this gay shit, please".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom