Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Touhou Labyrinth of Touhou 2 - Expansion Disk Translation Now Available, Too

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Ninjerk Actually, I'd like you to test how SPD works exactly. For the sake of experiment, I've been investing in nothing but speed for my characters so far, and it's been working out pretty good so far (I'm on 5F atm). In particular, the characters who have 110+ speed have been pretty good. However, I'm not sure what the difference between e.g. SPD 108 and SPD 109 is exactly, so maybe you could test that out?

Niektory

one of some
Patron
SPD is simple, the ATB bar of a character increases by their SPD value every tick. So if character A has 108 SPD and character B 109 SPD the bars will increase like this:
A B
5000 5000
5108 5109
5216 5218
5324 5327
until one of them reaches 10000.

Poison always seems to do the same damage against the same enemy, no matter who inflicted it. I couldn't bump it up with Wriggle. The formula is (enemy max HP)*(enemy base SPD)/10000 damage per tick for normal enemies. This is base SPD, so buffs don't affect it. Bosses seem to use some other, lesser value instead of SPD.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Anyone has any tips for Alice?

Killing her dolls doesn't help, not even killing a few of them since she resummons.

She seems to use a lot of varieties of attacks so it's hard to wall her effectively.

Niektory

one of some
Patron
Anyone has any tips for Alice?

Killing her dolls doesn't help, not even killing a few of them since she resummons.

She seems to use a lot of varieties of attacks so it's hard to wall her effectively.
My strategy was going full offense and killing her fast. Komachi tanking (and counter-attacking with Edokko God of Death), the rest going all-out with AoE attacks. Risky, but worked after a few tries.

Killing the dolls individually is not worth it but AoEs are good since they hit Alice as well. She wastes a turn resummoning and the new dolls' timebars are reset, giving you a little time.

I think her physical AoEs are the most dangerous, so DEF and PHY affinity are good to have.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Paralysis. For both her and the dolls, but especially the dolls. Also, kill off at least one doll so when she does get a turn, she might waste it summoning dolls.

Edit: After checking the bestiary, Alice is actually pretty resistant to paralysis. Could have sworn I got it to stick, but might have been another boss. It does work on the dolls though. She's also weak to cold and VERY weak to wind, and weak to debuffs as well. Definitely throw Reisen on the front lines and spam Discarder. Protection from mystic skill wouldn't hurt either. Terror and poison work on her as well, but neither are really huge priorites, just something to remember if characters with those skills happen to be strong on your team.

Another option for the dolls is to make sure only one type is on the field. One type does physical hits, the other magical. Alice will do both though, so you can't be totally defenseless to either.

Last edited:

TigerKnee

Arcane
What's a good character with Paralysis?

Oh yeah, I also forgot to ask but how much increase of power do you get from putting points in a specific skills (e.g Magic Missile)?

Damned Registrations

Levelling up skills seemed fairly negligible to me, aside from buffs. But I've never done serious testing.

Best paralyze all spells are probably Komacho's big spirit spell (which is insanely good to copy with Satori btw) and Cirno's paralyze all spell (which is kinda lacklustre, but Alice is weak to cold...) I forget if you have Iku by then or not, but if so, her single target spell will work wonders on Alice damage wise anyways, so it's another good one to use.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Alright, did it, managed to spec Cirno's defense (she's weak to Fire and Physical, which really sucks) to make her last while Kasen lays the beat-down on her face.

Iku is later than Alice but I actually manage to defeat her first because my characters were better spec'd for that.

Anyone has a Chen build?

Damned Registrations

I think I used her in the first game for a while because of the row attack just as a sweeper, but she feels really underwhelming this time around. Maybe I'm missing something though.

Niektory

one of some
Patron
Chen is only good against low defense enemies. Her speed doesn't help much when her attacks have trouble punching through armor. And since this game likes to throw tanks at you, she's not very useful a lot of the time. Remember to always use her buff before attacking, it makes a big difference.

Fart Master

Savant
this looks like it has a good amount of depth to it. I'll check out the first one when I figure out how to stop being a procrastinating piece of shit

Damned Registrations

So I took a break for a while and just came back. Almost finished the shitty battle point grinding to unlock the few characters I was missing. On floor 17 so far. Where the rest of you at?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I haven't had any time for vidya games at all in the past couple of weeks - looking forward to getting back to this in October when most of you have beaten the game already :P

Damned Registrations

Trying to recruit the girl on floor 9, but she's soundly kicking my ass. No idea what to do. Seems resistant to all of the useful status effects, only weak to some of the worst elements. And she puts out obscene damage constantly while also self healing. Argh.

Niektory

one of some
Patron
Trying to recruit the girl on floor 9, but she's soundly kicking my ass. No idea what to do. Seems resistant to all of the useful status effects, only weak to some of the worst elements. And she puts out obscene damage constantly while also self healing. Argh.
You mean Yuuka? Most of her attacks are reduced by MND and NTR. Start defensively, buff up properly with Ran and others before you start attacking and you should be able to manage. Up to a certain point at least.
icon_twisted.gif

Me stuck at Tenshi, don't feel like grinding or respeccing for now.
She's easy if you exploit her AI gimmick. It's not obvious though, took me a while to notice it.

Damned Registrations

Gave up on Yuuka for now. Now struggling with 17th floor boss instead. I think I'm close to being able to punch through it's godlike regen, but it's fairly random with all the debuffs and insta kills and double turns it can do. Need to fine tune a bit more, maybe bring in Hina.

Niektory

one of some
Patron
Px5JsGx.png

jMs8N3N.gif

Man, the last boss was intense. Finally managed to win with only 2 waifus down, but the fight lasted an hour and a half.

So how does this compare to the first game?

The core battle system is pretty much unchanged, aside from some minor changes like status effects and actually working evasion. Which is good: if it ain't broken, don't fix it. The cast is also largely carried over, with some changes here and there.

There are several small improvements to the interface and gameplay. You can now see map events in advance so you can't accidentally bump into them. You are also shown more information in battle, like enemy health bars, and whether attacks hit a weakness or not. They make the game a little easier, but I think in a good way. It just feels more fair to know what's going on.

The skill system is a great addition, it lets you customize your characters more and makes leveling more interesting than just pumping up stats. There is also a subclass system but I haven't used it. I actually haven't used any special items at all.

I think respeccing is a good feature as well. I was a little sceptical when I first heard about it, but this game is all about experimentation and trial and error, so being able to try everything freely is a good thing. Especially in hard mode, which would probably be nearly unbeatable without it.

Speaking of hard mode, I like how it works in this game. In many jRPGs it means more grinding. Here it actually limits it. Technically you can still grind after hitting the cap, but the benefits are minimal. The difficulty is quite high but mostly manageable, the biggest bumps being on floors 12 and 20. Those who haven't played the first game should probably stick to the normal mode though. Even on normal, the challenge level of bosses is shown and you can freely level up/down to adjust the difficulty to your liking.

The dungeon exploration is pretty boring. Some floors contain simple switch/teleporter puzzles which are better than just endless generic corridors, but still quite bland. At least it's not as infuriating as some parts of the first game (like 18F which was pure sadism there). The random encounters still consist of spamming your biggest nukes to get it over with quickly. It's another part that feels lacking. TP management during exploration is forgiving enough to not really matter, just a minor inconvenience.

I liked the story a little better this time around. It's still nothing amazing though.

The music is hit and miss, the boss battle tracks are great, but some exploration songs are annoying.

Verdict: :incline:, but the exploration could still use some improvement.

Also did some more testing.
Actually, another thing I'd be curious about is how in battle modifiers on stats stack. Like, say you have the Team9 buff for +48% stats, and then get +100% Def, are you at 248% or 296%? Pretty minor effect either way though, so mostly just a curiosity.

Then there's all those various +damage effects, including the boost status. Not sure if they work before or after defense is taken into account. I have a foggy idea that it's before based on a fight where I was using that Grand Incantation skill that gives you boost status when you charge, but I'm not sure.
Team buffs like Team ⑨ stack multiplicatively with normal buffs, so it would be 296% in your example.

The boost from Grand Incantation multiplies the damage after it's been reduced by defenses.

I also checked the effect of leveling offensive spells. Each level after the 1st seems to increase the damage by 5% (after defense reduction). So at level 5 it's increased by 20%.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Protip: img1.dxa and img2.dxa should only exist in the main folder, not the data one. I've seen copies of the game with both. You can delete bgm1.dxa and bgm2.dxa without repercussions if, like me, don't care about game sounds and/or play muted.

With that the game is reduced to < 200MB, which is potatos.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom