Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mod News KOTOR II Content Restoration Project Complete

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm right now looking into the Czeka vs. Ithlorians mess, and Czerka's perspective seems indeed justified. However, I can't see why anyone would chose to work for them, because spoilers :
- If you're playing light side, you'll obviously side with the Ithlorian treehuggers
- If you're playing dark side, you'll put your selfish interest first. As a reward, Czerka offers money and Ithlorians offer help to rebound with the Force. The latter being far more valuable to any player character regarless of alignement than the former, it would take even the darkest Lord of the Sith a considerable amount of self-sacrificing to embrace Czerka's cause!
I think Czerka (and a few other snippets of dialogue) was Avellone or some other ex-BI still feeling fresh resentment over Interplay.
24bknrq.jpg

2115m5s.jpg

Sarcasm dripping.

Adelphi

Novice
Project: Eternity
Obviously because he's telling you before you have to decide wether you will help him or side with Czerka.
Well, you're right, that he does. Haven't played in a while... Still, he says that he will heal your force-wound or something, he surely doesn't say "I'll increase your maximum force points by 5" (had to look it up). Then again, I'm not really sure 5 (five) force points are worth more than a bunch of credits... Anyway, my bad.
So you're accusing me of metagaming, and then, after being proved wrong, you're trying to explain it with some real metagaming with a side of spoiler.
Im confused... are you the worst troll ever? Are you using the word "metagaming" just because you've read it in the kool kids posts?

Edwin

Scholar
Im playing this right now(played just the vanilla version before but like 6 times)

Im on Telos but I didnt notice any new content so far(content I dont remember ever playing obviously)

Im playing this right now(played just the vanilla version before but like 6 times)

Im on Telos but I didnt notice any new content so far(content I dont remember ever playing obviously)

At that point the only real new content you see is some extra lines added to a few situations and other odds and ends. AFAIK the majority of cut content is near the end of the game, hence every review ever saying "its really great until you get to the ending which was rushed".

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I really disliked the first KOTOR as it had boring gameplay, an environment in which you only had limited interface, and the a predictable and boring storyline. Because the game engine being used did not change from KOTOR 1 to KOTOR 2, KOTOR 2 also suffered from boring gameplay and a limited interface. But the story... my god that story and the characters were unforgettable. The voice actor who voice Kreia still gives me chills when I hear some of her lines from this game. The ending was a let down until I played with the release of the 2011 mods and enjoyed the restored content. With the restored content, KOTOR 2 has the best Star Wars story of any fictional media I have experienced. I would even put it above the original movie trilogy (Episodes 4, 5 and 6). I still can't enjoy KOTOR 2's gameplay, but I would willingly suffer through it just to experience the story once more.

My top Kreia quotes:

"It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it."

"Step away from him! Step away! He has brought truth, and you condemn it? The arrogance! You will not harm him. You will not harm him ever again. As you would pass judgement on him, I have come to pass judgement on you all." (to the Jedi Masters, continues) "How could you ever hope to know the threat you face, when you have never walked in the dark places of the galaxy faced war and death on such a scale. If you had traveled far enough, rather than waiting for the echo to reach you, perhaps you would have seen it for what it was. There is a place in the galaxy where the dark side of the Force runs strong. It is something of the Sith, but it was fueled by war. It corrupts all that walks on its surface, drowns them in the power of the dark side, corrupts all life. And it feeds on death. Revan knew the power of such places... and the power in making them. They can be used to break the will of others... of Jedi, promising them power, and turning them to the dark side. The Mandalorian Wars were a series of massacres that masked another war, a war of conversion... culminating in a final atrocity that no Jedi could walk away from. Save one. (looks at the Exile, who is lying, unconscious, on the grass.) And this is what I sought to understand. How one could turn away from such power, give up the Force... and still live. But I see what happened now. (squats down and looks at the Exile again.) It is because you were afraid."

"Perhaps you were expecting some surprise, for me to reveal a secret that had eluded you, something that would change your perspective of events, shatter you to your core. There is no great revelation, no great secret. There is only you."

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
inb4 mastermind

edit: but yeah, I wish Sarah Kestleman would do more voice acting.

Endemic

Arcane
She voiced Theresa in Fable, normally doesn't do VA work.

Most of her work is theatre-oriented, she has scattered TV appearances as well.

scarletguard

Educated
She voiced Theresa in Fable, normally doesn't do VA work.

Most of her work is theatre-oriented, she has scattered TV appearances as well.

Actually, Zoe Wanamaker voiced Theresa according to a Fable wiki I just read. That's a shame that Kestleman didn't voice her as it was about give me the impetus to finally crack the seal and play that game.

Endemic

Arcane
Actually, Zoe Wanamaker voiced Theresa according to a Fable wiki I just read. That's a shame that Kestleman didn't voice her as it was about give me the impetus to finally crack the seal and play that game.

Oh? My bad then. Only role I recall ZW from was that silly Doctor Who villain back in 2005, second episode on the space station :p

scarletguard

Educated
There's an interesting new article over at EuroGamer.net that quotes Chris Avellone discussing the TSLRCM. You can read about it here.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I really disliked the first KOTOR as it had boring gameplay, an environment in which you only had limited interface, and the a predictable and boring storyline. Because the game engine being used did not change from KOTOR 1 to KOTOR 2, KOTOR 2 also suffered from boring gameplay and a limited interface. But the story... my god that story and the characters were unforgettable. The voice actor who voice Kreia still gives me chills when I hear some of her lines from this game. The ending was a let down until I played with the release of the 2011 mods and enjoyed the restored content. With the restored content, KOTOR 2 has the best Star Wars story of any fictional media I have experienced. I would even put it above the original movie trilogy (Episodes 4, 5 and 6). I still can't enjoy KOTOR 2's gameplay, but I would willingly suffer through it just to experience the story once more.

My top Kreia quotes:

"It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it."

"Step away from him! Step away! He has brought truth, and you condemn it? The arrogance! You will not harm him. You will not harm him ever again. As you would pass judgement on him, I have come to pass judgement on you all." (to the Jedi Masters, continues) "How could you ever hope to know the threat you face, when you have never walked in the dark places of the galaxy faced war and death on such a scale. If you had traveled far enough, rather than waiting for the echo to reach you, perhaps you would have seen it for what it was. There is a place in the galaxy where the dark side of the Force runs strong. It is something of the Sith, but it was fueled by war. It corrupts all that walks on its surface, drowns them in the power of the dark side, corrupts all life. And it feeds on death. Revan knew the power of such places... and the power in making them. They can be used to break the will of others... of Jedi, promising them power, and turning them to the dark side. The Mandalorian Wars were a series of massacres that masked another war, a war of conversion... culminating in a final atrocity that no Jedi could walk away from. Save one. (looks at the Exile, who is lying, unconscious, on the grass.) And this is what I sought to understand. How one could turn away from such power, give up the Force... and still live. But I see what happened now. (squats down and looks at the Exile again.) It is because you were afraid."

"Perhaps you were expecting some surprise, for me to reveal a secret that had eluded you, something that would change your perspective of events, shatter you to your core. There is no great revelation, no great secret. There is only you."
kreia.jpg

scarletguard

Educated
My top Kreia quotes:

"The Mandalorian Wars were a series of massacres that masked another war, a war of conversion... culminating in a final atrocity that no Jedi could walk away from. Save one. (looks at the Exile, who is lying, unconscious, on the grass.) And this is what I sought to understand. How one could turn away from such power, give up the Force... and still live. But I see what happened now. (squats down and looks at the Exile again.) It is because you were afraid."

There is an alternate last line of that quote, where Kreia says "It is because you had no choice."

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
My top Kreia quotes:

"The Mandalorian Wars were a series of massacres that masked another war, a war of conversion... culminating in a final atrocity that no Jedi could walk away from. Save one. (looks at the Exile, who is lying, unconscious, on the grass.) And this is what I sought to understand. How one could turn away from such power, give up the Force... and still live. But I see what happened now. (squats down and looks at the Exile again.) It is because you were afraid."

There is an alternate last line of that quote, where Kreia says "It is because you had no choice."

Never encountered that. What triggers it?

scarletguard

Educated
I have asked how it might be triggered. I'll reply as soon as I hear.

By the way, if you want to hear the line before I get back to guys - and you have competency with Miles Sound Studio - the file name for that sound file is "650650jedi.wav"

Update: According to Zbyl2, that line is dependent on a "player's light/dark side points. "You had no choice" is for dark siders."

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Groovy. When 1.8.2 is actually released we'll post it as news.

scarletguard

Educated
I have heard that it will be released at the same time as the M4-78 Enhancement Project so according to the video, that will be on the 28th of December.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Not only are they updating to 1.8.2, and offering the M4-78 planet as an add-on, the modders are up for a Mod Of The Year award at MODDB.com.

Here's a trailer for that M4-78 add-on.

Looking at that trailer and then remembering this:

As I understand, Revan and Malak were not truly evil. After the Mandalorian War, they went to the far reaches of space and met Emperor Tenebrae. Seeing that Tenebrae posed a threat to the Republic, they tried to bring him down. Tenebrae put them under mind control, and forced a geas on them. Under this geas, they were ordered to lead an attack on the Republic and work as agents of the Sith. While Revan and Malak were largely possessed under the powerful mind control of Tenebrae, deep down they were fighting it. As a result, they decided the best thing to do was to go ahead and conquer the Republic, build its military strength, and strike back at Tenebrae. This was their loophole to circumvent Tenebrae's mind control and to use their forced Dark Side descent as a means to fight the Sith rather than work for them. This is basically Kreia's "Did Revan truly fall?" nonsense applied to SWTOR.

After the events of KotOR, Revan's geas was broken (since his mind was broken), and this time, he went back to Tenebrae to finish the job after retracing his steps. The Exile went to find Revan and then joined back up with him to take Tenebrae down, along with several other Jedi.

Tenebrae then completely defeated Revan all over again, and this time, put him on a stasis through which his possessed mind could be used for its secrets. Revan was now in a state where instead of dying, his body would slowly starve, wither, and weaken away till eternity. A several hundreds year long coma without a single morsel to eat or water to drink. As for Exile and co., they did not the last the two second mark on the fight with Tenebrae and were left to remain as ghosts for eternity haunting the place.

... kind of amuses me, for some reason.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Not only are they updating to 1.8.2, and offering the M4-78 planet as an add-on, the modders are up for a Mod Of The Year award at MODDB.com.

Here's a trailer for that M4-78 add-on.

The amateur voice acting is really showing here. It is not a problem at all, since we have seen worse VA in mid 1990s games, but it's a reminder of how far fan efforts in making high production value games can go.

No offense to KotOR 2 fans, but all I see in this trailer is walking to computer terminals and destroying robot after robot. Which is much like many many areas in the original game, smashing robots and opening some area with a computer terminal. Of course, there will be more, but that's all we can see for now. And to add another planet with 7 areas and an additional 2 hours of gameplay just to do what you always did in the asteroid mining planet, in the military base on Telos surface, and on so many areas that came after - it's not very promising.

Really now, more of those dull KotOR combat encounters with a party of Jedi supergods? This is not very compelling.

Whether or not there is neat plot-related stuff to do, you can't really show that off in a preview or else you've spoiled the whole reason to play it.

I'm impressed with the voice overs in that video. You can still tell it's still not near the quality of the original, but it's still very good and would fit right in with most games. It's only an (unfortunate) problem when set beside the excellent VAing in the original. The most important question of course will be how good the highly recognizable original characters' lines are.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom