Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mod News KOTOR II Content Restoration Project Complete

Stinger

Arcane
I might wait till they do the droid factory (which is supposedly more content but not part of the TSLRCM since a lot of it is original voices and assets and stuff) before I replay the game but it's great to see that they've finished fixing the game :salute:

Endemic

Arcane
I might wait till they do the droid factory (which is supposedly more content but not part of the TSLRCM since a lot of it is original voices and assets and stuff) before I replay the game but it's great to see that they've finished fixing the game :salute:

The HK factory is already in it. It was like 90% complete under Obsidian development, they literally just needed to implement the proper camera angles for cutscenes and remove a few notes/connect the outcome to the finale at Malachor.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's still shit. :M
I’m sure people at Obsidian working on a game would be much happier if they got time to finish HK Factory
I'm sure I'd be much happier if it wasn't yet another time wasting single-character shitfest. A ranged character no less, god fucking damnit. Fuck their stupid story-at-the-expense-of-gameplay ideas.

Stinger

Arcane
The HK factory is already in it. It was like 90% complete under Obsidian development, they literally just needed to implement the proper camera angles for cutscenes and remove a few notes/connect the outcome to the finale at Malachor.

I mean this bit:

Indeed, M4-78EP, which is going to add M4-78, the Droids’ Planet that was cut from the game, back. Reason it’s not part of TSLRCM is fact that there aren’t many dialogs left, so we have to create lot of content ourselves, which doesn’t really fit under “restoration” category. Of course, it’s going to be fully compatible with TSLRCM 1.8.

Endemic

Arcane
I mean this bit:

Sorry. In that case no, it was a separate mod from the start.

It's still shit. :M

I'm sure I'd be much happier if it wasn't yet another time wasting single-character shitfest. A ranged character no less, god fucking damnit. Fuck their stupid story-at-the-expense-of-gameplay ideas.

It's not like KOTOR1 gameplay was remotely interesting either. I'd be interested to know how you'd have improved on it though...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's not like KOTOR1 gameplay was remotely interesting either. I'd be interested to know how you'd have improved on it though...
kotor combat was boring and time-sinky but at least they weren't deliberately trying to piss me off. I did appreciate all the character-system improvements Obsidian added, they should have just kept the single-character parts to an absolute minimum (like Bioware was smart enough to do). Ideally they would have had some worthwhile pseudo-tactical encounters in there as well, but they had 13-months-suddenly-shortened-to-11 I think? With a team a third of the size of the original? Can't really work miracles with that.

Endemic

Arcane
kotor combat was boring and time-sinky but at least they weren't deliberately trying to piss me off. I did appreciate all the character-system improvements Obsidian added, they should have just kept the single-character parts to an absolute minimum (like Bioware was smart enough to do). Ideally they would have had some worthwhile pseudo-tactical encountersl in there as well, but they had 13-months-suddenly-shortened-to-11 I think? With a team a third of the size of the original? Can't really work miracles with that.

Modded pistols are awesome though (each one can have 3 upgrades). HK can be a tank with the right equipment, though the random loot feature makes it a bit of lottery as to what enemies\chests give you.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Looks like we can finally let this particular episode of internet drama and butthurt go to rest. What was the name of that guy that got tricked into releasing one of Gizka's builds, by someone pretending to be a girl? He posted here briefly.

Also, I sure hope they tidied up some of the sloppy content implementation since last build. Other than that, /salute.

Endemic

Arcane
Looks like we can finally let this particular episode of internet drama and butthurt go to rest. What was the name of that guy that got tricked into releasing one of Gizka's builds, by someone pretending to be a girl? He posted here briefly.

No idea, I thought there was just one leaked build from 2008 that was a work in progress. That was long before zbyl and Stoney did any restoring (unless M4-78 counts).

Also, I sure hope they tidied up some of the sloppy content implementation since last build. Other than that, /salute.

Anything in particular? I know the inclusion of Kaevee was contraversial because of the fan voiceover, anything else?

11 months with about 2 dozen devs according to Tony Evans.

Then it's a miracle they got anything coherent done. I don't blame them for playing it safe with the gameplay and other elements (like the swoop racing sidequest).

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Quoted from a thread way back

The part after that, were you rescue your party members in the academy is pretty bad though. They reuse lines from other parts of the game because there is no recorded audio for it. They should have have left it out imo.

Since the current solution with the party members is just awkward, perhaps it would just be better to make some sort of cop out, like finding them unconscious in the force cells, or under the influence of some sort of force power courtesy of Kreia. That way, Stoney will only have to add a short description of the situation if the player clicks on them and no voice files are needed.

the quality is still so far below that of the vanilla game that I feel it should be left out, or redone. The more I think about it, I think the idea of setting up a scenario where audio isn't necessary to be the best solution. Say you come into the room with the force cages, and examine one of your party members, and get some small exposition about them being under the influence of the force. The PC will recognize it as Kreias methods because of their force bond, but he will still be able to lower the force fields, effectively making sure that they can escape when the influence is eliminated by the PC killing Kreia.

Or as I mentioned above, the PC finds them unconscious instead. That would lower the amount of exposition they would have to write, and subsequently fuck up. Perhaps even create a short sequence where you see them waking up just after the PC enters the core, safely ensuring that you can't go back to try to talk with them.

Scarletguard who was somehow in contact with the team mentioned that Stoney was interested in redoing that particular part of the game in the way I mentioned, but I wonder if it ever happened.

Here's the thread

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/kotor-2-the-restoration-project.23167/page-75

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Sweet. Been waiting for this final 1.8 version. :salute:

The HK factory was the one thing that was cut (and is now it's own original mod IIRC)? Is that finished yet?

Endemic

Arcane
The HK factory was the one thing that was cut (and is now it's own original mod IIRC)? Is that finished yet?

No, that's M4-78EP. We've already discussed it earlier in the thread.

The HK factory on Telos is behind the locked door you can't access on your first visit to the planet (a sub-level of the military base where you get the shuttle to reach Atris's academy). HK-47 goes there during the battle of Telos while the Exile is sabotaging the Ravager.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Sweet. Been waiting for this final 1.8 version. :salute:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

No, that's M4-78EP. We've already discussed it earlier in the thread.

The HK factory on Telos is behind the locked door you can't access on your first visit to the planet (a sub-level of the military base where you get the shuttle to reach Atris's academy). HK-47 goes there during the battle of Telos while the Exile is sabotaging the Ravager.

Ahh thanks. I can never remember the M4-78EP part. I do remember MCA(?) being very curious if someone does finally restore that.

Endemic

Arcane
Ahh thanks. I can never remember the M4-78EP part. I do remember MCA(?) being very curious if someone does finally restore that.

It's got a lot of missing parts, it was cut immediately after E3 in 2004, several months before release IIRC.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
iirc, M4-78 was cut because Obsidian didn't like it, not because of time constraints like the HK Factory and a lot of the ending bits were. Had something to do with it being too similar to Peragus, being filled with almost nothing but droids. So what little was developed for it was spread out amongst the rest of the game, particularly Nar Shaddaa's docks, I think. Any mod 'restoring' it then would likely be 80% fan made content, which would probably stick out pretty badly.

racofer

Thread Incliner

So... they did listen.

Endemic

Arcane

So... they did listen.

Did you read the Something Awful LP of the game? Something that Obsidian did well was the use of the camera in the cinematics throughout the game. The problem in the rough cut HK factory (initially recovered from the Xbox discs, it had been removed from the files for the PC release) was the camera cut through the outside of the level during some sequences. So it looked like HK was in a grey tube with black vacuum around it.

Endemic

Arcane
You need to browse threads from 4 years ago to understand what I meant.

Alright, enlighten me, which threads are you referring to?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom