Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KotoR 2 Peragus

TK--421

Literate
Holy hell this level is a nightmare, I remember playing through this when I was younger and didn't realize just how terrible it is. I get the purpose of the mission, but it just seems to drag on now that I'm on my 5th or so playthrough. Thankfully there are mods on the steam workshop to remove the entire need to go through this level but holy hell. Am I just a casual? Or is this the worst tutorial in any video game ever?

Tigranes

Arcane
It shouldn't take you more than half an hour, though after the first time it's always better to modskip?

Deleted member 7219

Holy hell this level is a nightmare, I remember playing through this when I was younger and didn't realize just how terrible it is. I get the purpose of the mission, but it just seems to drag on now that I'm on my 5th or so playthrough. Thankfully there are mods on the steam workshop to remove the entire need to go through this level but holy hell. Am I just a casual? Or is this the worst tutorial in any video game ever?

No, you're right, and I'm one of the biggest KOTOR 2 fanboys here. The thing that makes it boring is that apart from Kreia and Atton, there aren't any interesting characters to talk to. There's a psycho killer robot but he gets tiresome after the first play through. The same music seems to play all the time - the same exploration music, the same battle music. There's also no reactivity to anything you do.

TK--421

Literate
It shouldn't take you more than half an hour, though after the first time it's always better to modskip?
Yeah it does take just a half an hour but it feels like it's a lot longer than that. The rest of the game is enjoyable, but many of my playthroughs start and stop on that mission.

No, you're right, and I'm one of the biggest KOTOR 2 fanboys here. The thing that makes it boring is that apart from Kreia and Atton, there aren't any interesting characters to talk to. There's a psycho killer robot but he gets tiresome after the first play through. The same music seems to play all the time - the same exploration music, the same battle music. There's also no reactivity to anything you do.

I think that's it, I love the rest of the game but the beginning is a test of my patience.

TK--421

Literate
But doesn't it feel ~atmospheric~?
The first few times it really did, but I just can't bring myself to replay it. I think its because of the lack of characters, but that was intentional I believe.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The first few times it really did, but I just can't bring myself to replay it. I think its because of the lack of characters, but that was intentional I believe.

Yes, Avellone was going for that System Shock feel where you wake up on a post-apocalyptic space thing with no knowledge of how it became so.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Don't all handholding tutorial levels always feel increasingly worse on further playthroughs? Just the nature of the beast

Rev

Arcane
As others have said, the problem is that it drags itself for too long and all you do is killing robots aside for a few very brief conversations with Atton, Kreia and HK-50. The atmosphere is cool (well maybe not the 5th time you play it, but the first one it is) but it should've last half of what it takes to finish it.

laclongquan

Arcane
It's absolutely not atmospheric with everything happen. because of the damn cheery lighting.

There's a mod, a graphic mod that change lighting a bit to make it darker, literally. It will make you feel like in a mining camp full of murderous robots and dead men, losing power.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's absolutely not atmospheric with everything happen. because of the damn cheery lighting.

There's a mod, a graphic mod that change lighting a bit to make it darker, literally. It will make you feel like in a mining camp full of murderous robots and dead men, losing power.

Was the place losing power? I don't remember.

Anyway, I don't believe darkness and shattered lights are necessary for an atmospheric setting. See http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DaylightHorror

Mozg

Arcane
Not do defend it too strenuously but I don't much see how it's different than the rest of those games. I think the only issue I remember is that you don't have the tools to sperg up an overpowered character to make the shitty combats end instantly yet.

I think you may have to face the fact that games wear out, especially ones with shallow gameplay.

Trotsky

Arcane

That feeling of emptiness as a lone survivor is the vibe they were going for during the prologue and it continued during Peragus. It might stretch on a bit too long but I liked it.

The consequences of war, a defeated Republic, nearly extinct Jedi order, a sense of doom. As a fan of both games the sequel works perfectly with the dark side path in KoToR.

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
I dont feel it's empty. Murderous robots running around keep me company. It's also full of light and windows, so no dark and oppressive. if they go for daylight horror effect they fail miserably.

For fuck sake! Isnt it the same company that make Ocean Hotel people keep raving around here? If Ocean Hotel got that kind of lighting do you feel it's as atmospheric as it was?

Trotsky

Arcane
I dont feel it's empty. Murderous robots running around keep me company. It's also full of light and windows, so no dark and oppressive. if they go for daylight horror effect they fail miserably.

For fuck sake! Isnt it the same company that make Ocean Hotel people keep raving around here? If Ocean Hotel got that kind of lighting do you feel it's as atmospheric as it was?

The graphics were never KoToR's selling point even for its era the graphics left a lot to be desired.

The universe, story, characters, dialog, gameplay, & replay value is what most people appreciated.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
The underlying murder-mystery aspect of it, that being you trying to piece together what happened to the station through video, and text logs, is fairly interesting. Shame that it's ruined due to the fact that it's made abundantly clear who did it minutes after you exit the stasis pod.

Going through the Republic ship, and the introduction of Darth Sion, was a definite step-up in quality atmospherically, but it's partly let down by the turret section at the end where you're forced to gun down 50 sith troops who appear essentially out of thin air.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
The universe, story, characters, dialog, gameplay, & replay value is what most people appreciated.

Graphics were a selling point of KotOR1. It got some Best Graphics awards.

For me Peragus felt boring even the first time. Replayed it earlier that year, was bored. By the end of it you gain several levels yet you meet no traders and can't customize your equipment. Feels wrong for an RPG without survival focus.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom