Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kotor 1 destroys my brain cells. The pain... Aaaargh!!!

mbv123

Arbiter
Combat in KOTOR was always Force Storm + Master Flurry = WIN, maybe add some force power like Master Speed or Drain Life/Force Heal if you want some variety.
I remember massacring entire legions of Sith in Malachor or Star Forge using this method in both KOTOR's.

TC Jr

Scholar
How would you even get star wars combat right? Like a light saber is basically a ohk weapon but that doesn't make for difficult combat, any games got it right? I can only think of battlefront 2 were you only get to be a Jedi for a limited time and are rightfully overpowered but that's a different type of game.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
How would you even get star wars combat right? Like a light saber is basically a ohk weapon but that doesn't make for difficult combat, any games got it right? I can only think of battlefront 2 were you only get to be a Jedi for a limited time and are rightfully overpowered but that's a different type of game.

By using your imagination and figuring something out I suppose. Maybe make the player character a Han Solo wannabe rather than a jedi wannabe and the only time you'd even see a lightsabre is when you have to run away from the game's Darth Vader wannabe, eventually getting to kill him in an end-boss battle in spaceships rather than on land.

Shame all the nerds just wanna play it to wave lightsabres around tho...

pippin

Jedi Academy

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The one thing I liked about KOTOR combat was the Force Wave animations. I never got tired of seeing a room full of guys get knocked over. But there were so few real choices to make. About the only decision that wasn't obvious was when & where to throw grenades.

Maybe make the player character a Han Solo wannabe rather than a jedi wannabe

In the beginning I thought they were going to let you do that so I was disappointed at being forced to become a jedi. The jedi are one of the more boring parts of the Star Wars universe, especially after the prequels made them act like Spock with his balls cut off. But I can forgive that part of the game because at least it did set up the big plot twist.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I guess it could work in a jRPG style, having your jedi exchange superpowers in a turn-based fashion similar to pokemon.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
So the last Bioware game i played was Dragon Age 2 (lol), which was extremely cancerous, but scars heal over time.
Now i tried to play the first 4 hours of this crap and was surprised by how retarded and artificial a game could be at the same time.
The worst gameplay i had in a long time
Dear sir you are one pompous twat,aka hipster.Please go and play pong with your imaginary friends while smoking weed.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Rich bastard ;)

I don't actually drink it. I use it to wash my servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's basement windows. I drink pure platinum.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Rich bastard ;)

I don't actually drink it. I use it to wash my servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's servant's basement windows. I drink pure platinum.
I am jealous mate,i to wish to have a big plantation.With that many servants you must be big in the cotton industry.

wyes gull

Savant
The largest amount of people possible. I'm sure we can all agree the combat is nothing to write home about.
If only they tried to cater to even more people by removing it entirely. At some point I might even feel inclined to finish 1.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Hacking terminals and electrocuting/poisoning NPCs in another room is fun though. On my one (and only) replay (I think I just wanted to watch lightsaber combat while on LSD), I found it had more solid encounter/map design than KOTOR2. I do mean more into the game - just as you haven't gotten to the aforementioned stuff yet. Maybe it got a little better after the initial planet? Of course KOTOR2 blows everything else out of the water, no argument there. (Then again, the starting area of KOTOR2 - Pegasus Station - omg that was terrible. Pretty sure there's a mod to let you skip it, lol)

You're still an idiot for playing DA2 and not quitting after 4 hours. I mean, it's understandable to quit both games. But if you played DA2 all the way..............................
Does anyone actually like the combat in either Kotors? I mean just the tactical aspect, not the bling (animations, sfx); just selecting the target, chaining actions and watching them play out.

It's games like these that make me sort of understand that burger chick with the "skip gameplay option" complaint, if only for different reasons.
If the chaining/queuing actually worked it may have been interesting. But instead the AI would somehow reset it or something, which is why - for me - it ended up just watching the bling. Which was fun on LSD.

---

Edit: I'm not sure why I posted, now. Pretty forgettable game. Also I should've clarified that having more solid encounter design than KOTOR2 is like saying that it is better than a pile of poo.

prettyfits

Literate
I have beaten this game like 30 times. Nostalgia wise it's one of my favorite games. I really liked the companions and talking with them. The gameplay is a snoozefest and you can't really lose unless you are trying to intentionally lose. If it wasn't for the twist, this game would be forgettable.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
KotOR 2 is just like KotOR 1 - same retardedly easy combat, same useless chardev that amounts to nothing and a waste of code since combat is too easy for anything to matter, and same mechanic based morality that decides how to you will play your role for you.

Anyone trying to make some sort of significant distinction between the two is easy dumb as the mechanics in these games.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
KotOR 2 is just like KotOR 1 - same retardedly easy combat, same useless chardev that amounts to nothing and a waste of code since combat is too easy for anything to matter, and same mechanic based morality that decides how to you will play your role for you.

Have you heard of this thing called "writing"?

Black

Arcane
KOTOR is just suffering from being an old game and it's hard to see how influential and important it was since many of the mechanics are in new games. Put your games in context people!
Alright, you put it in context.
What did kotor 1 do that wasn't done better earlier in other games? How did it bring any incline?

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck

Have you heard of this thing called "writing"?

Yes. Have you heard of something called a game? Is chess a good game because of writing? Is Football (not soccer, which is like field hockey and other girl sports and doesn't count when talking about men sports) a good game because of writing?

No, books and movies and plays can be good because of writing, which tells a good story. A well written remote control guide isn't a good reading. A game is only good when it is a good game. When it has the mechanics and systems that make it a fun game to play. If a game's only good quality is writing it could be a well written shit game but is still a shit game that should have been a book.

Also, the point of an rpg isn't to read something written well. it is to create a story, my story, the player's character's story, and you didn't write shit when you played and neither did I.

I hope you are young. If not, I hope you are heavily medicated or else you really should just keep your opinions to yourself because there is no growing out of facts.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
KOTOR is just suffering from being an old game and it's hard to see how influential and important it was since many of the mechanics are in new games. Put your games in context people!
Alright, you put it in context.
What did kotor 1 do that wasn't done better earlier in other games? How did it bring any incline?

KotOR 1 was the first big blockbuster decline rpg. People wanted slightly interactive movies that played themselves and got what they demanded. Like Dungeon Siege 1 it was well received and loved by the fucking monkey animals, unlike the real rpgs of the time which were shit on by the same type of people shitting on the good rpgs coming out in the last three or four years.

donkeymong

Scholar
I have beaten this game like 30 times. Nostalgia wise it's one of my favorite games. I really liked the companions and talking with them. The gameplay is a snoozefest and you can't really lose unless you are trying to intentionally lose. If it wasn't for the twist, this game would be forgettable.

I played on the highest difficulty, and the only way to defeat the sith governor were dozen of mines...

prettyfits

Literate

I played on the highest difficulty, and the only way to defeat the sith governor were dozen of mines...

You got me there, I forgot about that fight. I used mines as well to beat him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom