Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kotor 1 destroys my brain cells. The pain... Aaaargh!!!

Kahr

Somehow the whole Kotor experience reminded me of NWN 1: OC compared to boringness, but this time i'm not so young and dumb to waste my time on this shit.

Btw: Who came up with this crap idea to play a droid in the beginning of Kotor 2? I was so glad i could skip the tutorial and then i have to use that thing again?
Also the whole system is still the same. Battles are boring. 4 out of the 6 attributes look useless again.
Is it even worth it or is that game just hyped because of that story writer guy? Because i don't think his shit tastes all that better.

OP if you are so autistic to count chests RPGs aren't for you. Try a TES game.
It's autistic now to realize what is uninspired loot placement?

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Is it even worth it or is that game just hyped because of that story writer guy? Because i don't think his shit tastes all that better.

Uh oh. 'That story writer guy'? Methinks you intended to post in the 'triggering the Codex' thread. HTH.

But, yes, the story does get very interesting. You should probably take as much time as possible to talk to the characters and listen very carefully to what they have to say.

donkeymong

Scholar
KOTOR is a very good game, but it's biggest fault is broken prologue/tutorial. It is too long, it is dull, and it introduces you to different combat mechanics (and forces you to spend points in them, like blaster rifles and pistols) that you will forget after it, because the lightsaber will always be your main tool.
????
You are only forced to level up exactly one time in the tutorial and no, the player isnt forced to level those, albeit playing as as a pistol
Jedi is fun.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
or you can always play the jedi knight games

or even freelancer, if the star wars brand name isn't too important

AlpineMarv

Literate
Kotor 1 is a proto mass effect. Essentially unloseable gameplay as a vehicle for a decent story and atmospheric universe.

Kotor 2 has somewhat better gameplay but is still best with self-imposed limitations.

Kahr

Wow... Peragus has to be one of the worst intro levels there ever was.
People are complaining about the temple of Fallout 2, but here it's just robots more robots and robots, with the amazing combat system of whack instakill.
Amazing what games are there on the Top 70. No amount of storyfaggotry can justify that.

Sykar

Arcane
Enjoyed KOTOR 1, but agree that it's constructed in such away that playing it through to the end makes it a repetitive slog.
Never finished it myself, think it's definitely worthy of praise, but can also see why it's not up to today's standard of gaming.

Yeah I was saving my level ups quite a but, was not fun staying at level 2 until Dantooine.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
First time I finished both games, I thought Kotor 2 is better.
Second time I finished both, I thought Kotor 1 is better.
But then I played Kotor 2 third time and realized that beceause of bugs and overall bullshit that's happening in this game, it felt as if I played three diffrent games with the same looking and engine, but with diffrent plot and talks.
So I think kotor 2 is better beceause of its replay value. And it's not as chldish as 1. But that's not much of a achievment.

cruelio

Savant
Peragus is so bad when the original Skip Peragus Mod disappeared from the internet when Filefront shut down someone instantly made a new Skip Peragus Mod from scratch.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Each time I think about replaying kotor 2 first thought is "But then i have to play through Peragus... Maybe another day"
It's good experience if you do it once, but every next will kill you. Even first planet in kotor 1 wasn't that bad.

Nael

Arcane
02sp02d.jpg

I can hear her fake British accent already.

Delbaeth

Learned
Kotor
Kotor
Kotorem
Kotoris
Kotori
Kotore

Kotores
Kotores
Kotores
Kotorum
Kotoribus
Kotoribus

Oh wait, that was for Dolor, oris, m.

:cool:

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Kotor
Kotor
Kotorem
Kotoris
Kotori
Kotore

Kotores
Kotores
Kotores
Kotorum
Kotoribus
Kotoribus

Oh wait, that was for Dolor, oris, m.

:cool:

*ḱóth₂os (thematic, non-ablauting, masc.)

*ḱóth₂os
*ḱóth₂e
*ḱóth₂om
*ḱóth₂oh₁
*ḱóth₂ōy
*ḱóth₂ōt
*ḱóth₂osyo
*ḱóth₂ey

*ḱóth₂oh₁
*ḱóth₂oh₁
*ḱóth₂oh₁
*ḱóth₂oh₁
*ḱóth₂oh₁
*ḱóth₂oh₁
*ḱóth₂oh₁
*ḱóth₂oh₁

*ḱóth₂ōs
*ḱóth₂ōs
*ḱóth₂ons
*ḱóth₂eh₂
*ḱóth₂ōys₂/ḱóth₂omis

*ḱóth₂omos
*ḱóth₂omos
*ḱóth₂ōh₁om
*ḱóth₂oysu

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I played it on release and loved it. I tried to re-play it 2 years ago and got bored half way through. I think its problem is that it's the most Bioware game that Bioware has ever made and it very much established the formula for their post-Baldur's Gate 3D RPGs. So if you have played Jade Empire or Dragon Age or Mass Effect, all of which have the same core formula yet build on it or alter it slightly to keep things more interesting, KOTOR is going to seem really boring by comparison as it's very much the vanilla version of that formula.

It definitely hasn't aged well, but that's mostly due to Bioware's insistence on repeating the formula that KOTOR established, more so than it being any fault of KOTOR's.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
So the last Bioware game i played was Dragon Age 2 (lol), which was extremely cancerous, but scars heal over time.
Now i tried to play the first 4 hours of this crap and was surprised by how retarded and artificial a game could be at the same time.
The worst gameplay i had in a long time:
You have three options:
-whacking
-shooting
-throwing grenades
The enemies are doing nothing just dropping dead after a few seconds.
Quests are amazing. "Fetch me cure. Don't give cure evil guy."
The moral choices: "I like it if we kill bad guys. I don't like it if we kill not so bad guys."
This fag following you is just the gay paladin guy from Dragon Age.
"I don't like that. That was mean. If you do that again 20 times than i will do nothing at all."
Level layout is grandeous:
02A.png

This ring is like 5 times there. Exciting.
And of course in every room of it there HAS to be a container to loot. In every each on of it. Just one.
Not two. Two would be to complicated. You open the door, either you kill baddies or say that you will "rob"
the person. "Robbing" has no consequences at all. You would think evil sith soldiers don't like you robbing people.
But they don't care.

Then this:
02F.png

Looks like a evil gangster quarter to you!?
The entry to the secret evil gang is just on the main street there in the open.
Well they aren't even evil they're just a criminal gang who somehow act like Jedis themselves.

So the level design sucks. The gameplay sucks. The story will be a good/evil Star Wars shitfest
with HAHAHA i'm so evil and HAHAHA i'm so good.

Will try Kotor 2 though.

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy. You're in for some treat, then.

When you actually get around to playing kotor2:
1.make sure to play the restored version or whatitsname now
2.everything you said about level design, gameplay and general dumbness still applies, BUT...
3....this time you will actually get a lot of "gray" in quests and morality, and the writing is MUCH better and just a tad less pop.

Last edited:

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Peragus is so bad when the original Skip Peragus Mod disappeared from the internet when Filefront shut down someone instantly made a new Skip Peragus Mod from scratch.
I've found it helps to listen to a podcast or audio novel while doing it, or at least it get's me through that part when I want to play it again.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've found it helps to listen to a podcast or audio novel while doing it, or at least it get's me through that part when I want to play it again.

I tried playing through Peragus while having my dick sucked. Still didn't help.

pippin

6 hours into Kotor1 I gotta say this game is kinda getting on my nerves. I've done most things and Canderous Ordo is about to take me intot he gangster's hideout to steal the ship. The quests are alright, you have options and everything, but it really fells more like a proto mass effect where nothing matters instead of something else. You know, typical Bioware. My problem is the combat. I just don't understand it. Out of all the versions of RTWP Bioware did, this must be the worst, because you don't get told anything. The lack of a combat log or something more significant is making me feel that combat is often resolved out of pure luck. At least in ME you had some clue about things. But I'm trying to guess how to kill major enemies (like the Sith governor or Bendak) and I'm slowly realizing that as I said the combat is pure luck, because there's no strategy, no tactics, no anything. Just hit hard and hit first.

I wonder why didn't they just made you a jedi from the start too. It's def. hilarious to see Bastila mowing down enemies effortlessly while you're stuck with shitty swords or pistols.

The card game is p chill tho.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom