Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kotor 1 destroys my brain cells. The pain... Aaaargh!!!

Kahr

So the last Bioware game i played was Dragon Age 2 (lol), which was extremely cancerous, but scars heal over time.
Now i tried to play the first 4 hours of this crap and was surprised by how retarded and artificial a game could be at the same time.
The worst gameplay i had in a long time:
You have three options:
-whacking
-shooting
-throwing grenades
The enemies are doing nothing just dropping dead after a few seconds.
Quests are amazing. "Fetch me cure. Don't give cure evil guy."
The moral choices: "I like it if we kill bad guys. I don't like it if we kill not so bad guys."
This fag following you is just the gay paladin guy from Dragon Age.
"I don't like that. That was mean. If you do that again 20 times than i will do nothing at all."
Level layout is grandeous:
02A.png

This ring is like 5 times there. Exciting.
And of course in every room of it there HAS to be a container to loot. In every each on of it. Just one.
Not two. Two would be to complicated. You open the door, either you kill baddies or say that you will "rob"
the person. "Robbing" has no consequences at all. You would think evil sith soldiers don't like you robbing people.
But they don't care.

Then this:
02F.png

Looks like a evil gangster quarter to you!?
The entry to the secret evil gang is just on the main street there in the open.
Well they aren't even evil they're just a criminal gang who somehow act like Jedis themselves.

So the level design sucks. The gameplay sucks. The story will be a good/evil Star Wars shitfest
with HAHAHA i'm so evil and HAHAHA i'm so good.

Another one i don't have to play it seems. I'm free!

Will try Kotor 2 though.

Last edited by a moderator:

zool

Arcane
I found KOTOR 1 to be utterly boring, consolized and with a mostly dull art style. And yet, seeing your screenshots, I feel a tingle to reinstall it and play it for a few hours.

It's like this game is so naive and easy to play that my natural tendancy to sloth is aroused.

It's like decline is calling to me in a weird, attrative voice, and I have to resist.

garren

Arcane
Patron
I played through the game once because i didn't wanna start KOTOR2 before at least playing the first one. zool pretty much said it, the game was an utterly boring slog, I finished it as fast as possible just to see the end.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I quit after a few hours. It made me quit before I even felt like I was playing a star wars game. [before you even get lightsabres or fly somewhere].

DemonKing

Arcane
You guys are so edgy...

This is probably my second favourite Bioware game. I think people forget this was basically a console title ported to PC so the gameplay and level design degenerated a bit to accommodate that (some might argue also the console audience). I didn't enjoy the stupid dog-fighting minigames but I found the storyline and the way they utilised the SW license worth the trip. There are some genuinely great NPC companions, environments (the whole Sith world sequence is great) and voice acting. The Bio-twist is nicely signposted but not completely obvious and you can really be evil at some points if you want to be (like getting your life-bonded Wookie to slaughter his best friend just for kicks).

Whatever your thoughts about the dated gameplay and limited world design if you're a SW fan this is certainly worth playing.

Last edited:

waveplay

Literate
I've been trying time and again to finish this game for the last 10 years. I actually played Kotor 2 before the first one and loved it mostly thanks to the writing. It was all the good parts of the movies (basically Yoda's philosophical babble about the force) amped up to 11. I couldn't complete the game thanks to bugs everywhere, but whatever. So Kotor 1 then was lauded as the best game evar by so many people that I tried to play this. It's so boring and stilted. It feels like it's made for kids. The writing is utterly simplistic. I could never get past completing 2 or 3 planets. I also got spoiled on the plot twist, which I guess is a pretty cool one, but also a pretty simplistic. It's just weird how this game is so highly regarded everywhere, like it's better than BG2 or something.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
The first KotOR, back when it was released, was one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences I've ever had. Surprised at how much hate it's getting here, but then it is the Codex.

I also enjoyed the game for what it was. But 2003 was a simpler time and I had not yet found the Codex so I didn't know my enjoyment was for naught.

Fredward

Scholar
Your brain actually doesn't have any pain receptors though I suppose if enough brain cells have died it's understandable that you don't know this.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
I also enjoyed the game for what it was. But 2003 was a simpler time and I had not yet found the Codex so I didn't know my enjoyment was for naught.

Group hug. I'm a KotOR fan and, if not proud then at least accepting. Gameplay is shit, but if you're in the Star Wars mindset then it's a fun ride. I also genuinely did not see the twist coming. OMG! It blew my mind! Every other person who expressed an opinion said they predicted it from the first scene.

Krivol

Magister

Group hug. I'm a KotOR fan and, if not proud then at least accepting. Gameplay is shit, but if you're in the Star Wars mindset then it's a fun ride. I also genuinely did not see the twist coming. OMG! It blew my mind! Every other person who expressed an opinion said they predicted it from the first scene.

I liked KOTOR 1 a bit even if I am not a great fan of SW (not a hater, but still), but I think twist was easy to predict. I don't remember exactly, because I played this game only once (which shows that it's not great in my opinion) but I think it was something like this in my mind:

"Oh, it would be fun if it turns out that <you know what> "

and then

"Wait, it is like this? Eh... I am not surprised TBH"

Also BioWare delivered as allways - hub world with 4 -5 planets to visit that you have to visit anyway, same shit since Neverwinter Nights.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
"Oh, it would be fun if it turns out that <you know what> "

That's what people say, but it honestly never crossed my mind. The first time I got an inkling of the twist was during the cut scene just before the reveal where all the foreshadowing events are recapped. It was only then everything slotted together and I thought I knew what was going on. I probably got the effect BioWare were hoping most people would get - a couple of seconds of 'oh shit' followed by the big reveal. Anyway, it worked and my jaw hit the floor. Best Twist Ever.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
I need great effort to remember anything about kotor 1 and played trough twice completely forgettable game. On the other hand Kotor 2 is quite memorable if a bit overwritten at times.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
I need great effort to remember anything about kotor 1 and played trough twice completely forgettable game. On the other hand Kotor 2 is quite memorable if a bit overwritten at times.

The problem I had with KotOR2 is that I'd become thoroughly frustrated by the shit combat and generally poor game mechanics by the end of KotOR1, and however great the story in KotOR2 is, and it is excellent until right at the end, in actual gameplay terms it was like playing KotOR1 again, but without the freshness. It's one of those games that would probably have worked better as a straight-up adventure, or certainly with the number of trash mobs reduced to an absolute minimum required for some occasional hot lightsabre action.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
KOTOR was great you baddies :kingcomrade:

Yes, it's a popcorn RPG, now plz excuse me while I don't give a shit

Also, it blows yoda's desktop adventures or whatever out the water for second best Star wars RPG EVAR (KOTOR 2 first obv, actually replayed that one two times :shittydog:)

Gunnar

Arbiter
I liked KOTOR1 and finished it. The second one, however, was so relentlessly boring I couldn't stand it and dropped it halfway through. Obsidian makes boring games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom