Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline KotC (Knights of the Chalice) is awesome

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Ah, already got a Great Cleave for my dorf and a regular one for my ranger-tank chick.
They mowin down orcs & gnolls like nobody's business!

And I keep my save only for bonfires since I like that feeling of tension you get in a gauntlet of challenges. The battles move quickly enough so retrying them isn't a chore.

Are either of your front liners leveled in 2h swords? If so, bastard swords are 2h but are short enough to weild in one hand if you have the right feat. This opens up dual wielding bastards which is like a blender once you have vorpal and great cleave.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
There were robes of the magi in KotC? Pretty sure KotC didn't have any robes, unless they've got patched in at a later time. Use mithril leather armor for mages.
You can try an NPC cleric and see whether he can successfully remove the negative levels.
Do you use a fully patched game? What spell do you use to remove the negative levels?

I found out what it was - it was a long sword that does damage to chaotic enemies and my cleric is chaotic good. :M

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
So my redone party rocked the beginning and middle of the game. I think making sure the wizards had a Constitution of at least 16 each really helped out, since it resulted in them being able to take a few hits in battle instead of being glass cannons. I even got through that first orc attack without any problems at all with the new group. I also took on the orc stockade with no problem as my characters were level 7 by about that point, like VentilatorOfDoom had suggested. The key there was that I was able to beat the dungeon with the spider queen, then found the additional level beyond that encounter and came out rich in XP and gold. I think I may have used a confusion spell on the dragon, then hit him over and over again with fireballs from some wands I created.

The middle of the game went fast, too, since my wands of fireball continued to be effective all the way until I battled against fire giants, where I had to switch to ice storm wands. I didn't really run into trouble until the end of the game where damaging spells became less important due to enemies with crazy amounts of hit points and you had to hope for enchantment magic to work such as dominate monster, in order to have a chance. If I could avoid getting ambushed I ended up with a pretty standard strategy of retreating to a choke point, having a wizard cast web at the choke point while another cast haste on the party, follow that up with a silence spell from my priest past the webbing, then have my wizards conduct long range bombardment on everything past that point as the computer AI would go dumb at that point and have its opponents loiter. It was generally pretty effective.

But the game liked to cheat. There were way too many encounters where the enemy would just pop in out of nowhere, surround your party from all sides, and get an automatic surprise round to boot. Damn cheaters. With the enemy being so powerful, they would likely win with two free consecutive actions, usually by slaying one or two of my wizards before I could act. Once you get to 15th-20th level, this becomes a standard issue in all editions of D&D, where everyone is so deadly that the side that wins initiative is often the side that wins, so I guess points to the game for properly simulating that tabletop experience. Or simulating play with a cheating bastard DM.

I also misunderstood something towards the end of the game. There is a dungeon inside a town and a tower with an undead ruler. I got confused about which dungeon was meant to be the last, and I ended up beating the game without completing the last side quest, so it was a bit jarring for me when I rescued an NPC and then got the end game scene. Oops. :) Ah well, I doubt I missed much anyway except more gold I really didn't need.

TigerKnee

Arcane
But the game liked to cheat. There were way too many encounters where the enemy would just pop in out of nowhere, surround your party from all sides, and get an automatic surprise round to boot. Damn cheaters. With the enemy being so powerful, they would likely win with two free consecutive actions, usually by slaying one or two of my wizards before I could act. Once you get to 15th-20th level, this becomes a standard issue in all editions of D&D, where everyone is so deadly that the side that wins initiative is often the side that wins, so I guess points to the game for properly simulating that tabletop experience. Or simulating play with a cheating bastard DM.
WHOA, HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT? D&D 3.5 IS THE PERFECT EDITION WITH NO FLAWS WHATSOEVER, I BET YOU LOVE PRESSING THE AWESOME BUTTON AND SHOULD GO PLAY DRAGON AGE FOR GAY ROMANCES.

Inb4 multiple people telling you to "git gud"

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
To be honest, if you have prolems getting your guys killed during a surprise round, it is often a problem with lacking equipment/optimisation of stats. So, git gud, l2p etc.
I do remember there was a particularily obnoxious fight towards the end of the game though, against some undead iirc, who could literally destroy the party during the surprise round. Not much you could do there if you were unlucky.

DramaticPopcorn

To be honest, if you have prolems getting your guys killed during a surprise round, it is often a problem with lacking equipment/optimisation of stats. So, git gud, l2p etc.
I do remember there was a particularily obnoxious fight towards the end of the game though, against some undead iirc, who could literally destroy the party during the surprise round. Not much you could do there if you were unlucky.
I dont remember that encounter

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I dont remember that encounter
It was near the endgame, perhaps while saving the princess or something. It's possible that it was an optional encounter (i.e. you didn't have to go into that room), it was powerful undead (liches, greater mummies + babaus?) that got a surpise round and would deal large damages + had paralyzing touch, so even if you would not die from HP damage alone during the surprise round you'd be as good as dead.

DramaticPopcorn

You probably mean that underground complex with dwarves and sentient ant people there was a crypt with powerful undead.

Snufkin

Augur
Make 4 mage party
spam dehydrate
destroy everything your path
profit
win

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
What annoyed me sometimes were the encounters where you had to keep an npc alive to get a reward. It didn't help said NPCs usually had about 10 HP or smth and every mob focused on attacking that npc first

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom