Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline KotC (Knights of the Chalice) is awesome

Sjukob

Arcane
I see people actually approve this game , may be I will try it out myself , but can somebody tell me how combat in this game feels compared to Divinity Original Sin ?

Doktor Best

Arcane
How come this game is not on gog or steam? Wanted to buy this for a while but i need it on one of those platforms.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Pierre is competing with George RR Martin in who can string along longer their biggest fans.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

Okay so the developer is a dumbfuck. Alright, its not like there are not any other indie rpgs worth to have a look at.

True, but the dilemma here is that KotC probably has the best D&D combat system ever implemented in a crpg - aside from ToEE but encounter design was horrible there.

So it's like Pierre is teasing us, like "Hey look, I created the best 3.5 ed game of all time, want more? Well FUCK YOU LOL"

oh its a sad tale

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Also no sneaky-stealthy classes and no fighters but the knight :negative:

KotC makes me glad and sad in equal measure

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
A few more classes and better itemization and KoTC would be the very best.

That said, Larian has an opportunity to take the crown. Mechanically, D:OS is excellent and player feedback is excellent. I like that they are hand crafting encounters. Some refinement on the AI side and that system could be tops IMO. Itemization is still shit in D:OS however.

Doktor Best

Arcane

Okay so the developer is a dumbfuck. Alright, its not like there are not any other indie rpgs worth to have a look at.

People who only buy games when they are on certain platform are kind of dumbfuck too, YFI

I am open to any kind of platforms aslong as they offer stability and a certain spectrum of offerings, but i wont give some lunatic money to download a game from his supercrappy homepage because he has some deluded powerfantasies towards online distributors. Who can even tell me i will be able to download from his homepage when he lost interest in maintaining it?

That guy could clearly make some decent moeny, but yet he decided not to. GOG wont give a shit if he doesnt make money, i wont give a shit if he doesnt make money, nobody will.

ArchAngel

Arcane
A few more classes and better itemization and KoTC would be the very best.

That said, Larian has an opportunity to take the crown. Mechanically, D:OS is excellent and player feedback is excellent. I like that they are hand crafting encounters. Some refinement on the AI side and that system could be tops IMO. Itemization is still shit in D:OS however.
I have yet to see another cRPG beat complexity of DnD spells from IE games, ToEE or KotC or even NwN/NwN2.

D:OS is not even close to this and neither is PoE.

tindrli

Arcane

People who only buy games when they are on certain platform are kind of dumbfuck too, YFI

I am open to any kind of platforms aslong as they offer stability and a certain spectrum of offerings, but i wont give some lunatic money to download a game from his supercrappy homepage because he has some deluded powerfantasies towards online distributors. Who can even tell me i will be able to download from his homepage when he lost interest in maintaining it?

That guy could clearly make some decent moeny, but yet he decided not to. GOG wont give a shit if he doesnt make money, i wont give a shit if he doesnt make money, nobody will.

:troll::0-13:

TigerKnee

Arcane
Also no sneaky-stealthy classes
What would you even do with those classes in a game that's just combat and with no skill system (good riddance though)/diplomacy?

You might as well roll Sneak Attack and Uncanny Dodge into Fighter.

Tigranes

Arcane
I see people actually approve this game , may be I will try it out myself , but can somebody tell me how combat in this game feels compared to Divinity Original Sin ?

DOS is basically a MMO at its base then topped up with awesome gimmicks like teleporting enemies on top of exploding barrels, which makes it mechanically poor but a blast to play. KOTC is mechanically superb and satisfies the true RPG-rulescombatfag.

Atchodas

Augur
D:OS is nothing like mmo , this coming from die hard PoE fanboy lol pathetic , D:OS has deepest combat and character progression with fair share of cringy writting and bucket helmets ofc. Mechanically game is amazing

Snufkin

Augur
Pro tip - make your team in KOTC : Cleric + 3 mages , makes early game a bit harder but later on even final fight and bonus fight is very easy with 3x dehydrate per turn and mass domination.

Tigranes

Arcane
D:OS is nothing like mmo , this coming from die hard PoE fanboy lol pathetic , D:OS has deepest combat and character progression with fair share of cringy writting and bucket helmets ofc. Mechanically game is amazing

POE is pretty MMOy as well. I like how someone who liked POE, WL2, Shadowrun and DOS but found specific flaws with each one of them is a fanboy: "OMG X game awesome Y game suxxor" is surely a clearer sign of a shitpost. DOS has a highly limited diversity in character development, you become almost God-mode level powerful very quickly, and other than the various 'gimmicks', there really isn't a lot to do. The upside is that those 'gimmicks' are so awesome, plentiful, and unique that really, it's perfectly OK for barrels, teleports, setting the ground on fire, etc. to carry the game. DOS combat is the Ultima 7 mentality carried over to a working combat system - it's more about the interaction mechanics than traditional mechanics. And that's just awesome.

Back to KOTC, two mages is the no-brainer choice and probably the only 'big' choice in party composition. A no-mage party would probably be the most challenging, though I imagine a lot of the early game would be tedious.

thexsa

Educated

D:OS has shit itemization. There are no excuses for their lazy ass item design and it copies the worst in MMO's, that items mean shit and all you look at are numbers. Shit shit shit S H I T. If you have no original ideas, just blatantly copy the D&D-system instead.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
D:OS is quite a bit worse to me as well. Too basic, skills not well thought-out, character system wishy washy. KOTC is tighter, owing to the the, IMO, excellent D&D base.

Environmental effects are just window dressing to me. And exploitable at that.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Not sure how D:OS has better mechanics. It was just basic turn-based combat...
I prefer the PA system of D:OS to that of KoTC and the character sheet with distributable skill points (magic school choices), the traits are equally good in the two games. KoTC has better items. Considering spells (and skills), I enjoyed discovering the spells of D:OS, while the classic D&D ones of KoTC are probably inherently better. It's close, the two games do all these things rather right. There are also the interactions with environnement. Overall I also consider that D:OS vaguely wins the battle about mechanics.
The encounter design in D:OS is more than correct for a non-linear game, but the encounter design of KoTC has somewhat not rival.
The reality is that they are both great, and they are additionally different, it's complete:incline:.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
To me, D:OS is the better game mechanics-wise, but KotC has the best encounter design.

D:OS is fun and creative. You can make all kinds of silly combinations using the tools the game provides.

But once you do so, you can completely steamroll everything. D:OS is fun, but falls apart after the buzz of "I can backstab this guy, then electrify the blood puddle to stun!" wears off. And given the sheer amount of "I win" buttons the creative player has at his fingertips, encounter design will still get trumphed by one of them nearly every time. So it is not a mechanically sound game. (It's a fun sandbox though!)

KotC on the other hand is less flashy, but remains interesting throughout the duration of the entire game by forcing you to put thought into your build and how you approach each encounter. It makes you figure out how to win a fight rather than letting you choose which way you want to steamroll it.

This is not to say D:OS isn't one of my favourite games of 2014 in spite of terrible writing and relative level between mob and you being a huge factor in how efficient your abilities are.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom