Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Known World - Dead Gods hear no pray (CYOA) - "frozen"

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am a little disappointed we did not choose Adbel as the one we saved, but I still cannot wait to meet Hiri! :P I am looking forward to the next part of chapter 5.

Heh, that was my idea of that choice. You could choose between both characters that were important in Weaver life. You didn't only choose character that possibly can act and join you in your adventures, but also how Weav thinks. If you would rescue Adbel, you would get powerful ally, but her character would be much more violent and bitter as she would lose only person that she still consider as family. Yeah, she still feel guilt for Adbel death, but she also know that he wouldn't hesitate to jump under enemy blades to save you. He also was gods know how old, elite warrior that fought next you for more then century. Hiri still was young and she probably would do same thing, but in eyes of Adbel she deserved much more then that death. Yeah, he would probably be more then pissed off that you saved him.

Oh and for Adbel fans.. Don't worry, he will appear in retrospections/interludes.

Last edited:

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Chapter 5 part II
Still in shadows

Ah, yes. Hot water helps clean not only tried body, but also mind. Truly only genius could create something like this, godlike experience only with some hot water. Anyway, besides those thoughs, you think about collecting informations about things that happends in city. You will send Regreh to talk with some dwarves, yes, it is good idea... Castor... uh. Still may be useful... you hope so. Maybe he can ask about this siege? Nobody will be suprised that wizard ask about things like that.

You look around, at bathroom around you... simple wood toilet, with water 'releaser' to ride of... well, you know what, instead of carrying bucket and spilling it on streets. Box for dirty clothes. Sink, connected to water. Bath... well, you are sitting in it right now. Except that, some shelves with cleaning accessories, like soap. Empty chest in another corner. Small table next to toilet, with some books on it. Painting of... you never could tell what it was, but for you, it looks like mix between some kind of dog and dwarf. And of course, gas lights on ceiling.

You finally have some time to think about your companions for real. Regreh Mertelsson, at least as he says, is a warrior, living on roads and how he described himself 'a warrior, a gourmet of booze and a tough motherfucker'. For a second, you though about how much you told him - he knows about Hiri, a bit about House and about you. Probably much more then anyone ever, of course excluding House members themselfs... and about how hard it would be to kill him if you would be forced to... you shake your head. 'No... I won't do that. I don't need to do that. And I never will.' - you say to yourself, whispering...

Castor. He is... other story. He know almost nothing. But, also, he is a mystery. That is dangerous stance. You travel with him, yet you don't even know what magic he can use. Is he necromancer? Or maybe he is just harmless, young wizard that don't know what to do after what happend to him. Who knows.

Anyway, you sighs and suddenly jump to blade when somebody knock to door. You heard Regreh voice.

'Hey, princess, food is ready! Maybe it is time to get out? You are there for like an hour.' he chuckles and add something to his sentence. 'Oh, I see that you are smart and cover keyhole. Good to know!'

'Damn you, you dirty dwarf! Shame on you, Regreh, really!' you tries to make your voice angry, but you just can't. Do you have even idea how old I'm? I could be your mother!'

'I doubt it, I'm over 300 years old.' he laughs again. 'No, really! I'm an old dwarf, girl.'

You heard Castor voice, but can't make out what he said. And for some reason, you feel that you should hear it as Regreh laughs again, this time much louder.

'Oh, Gods, my chest, help. I can't breathe. Good one, Castor! Good one! Anyway, get the hell out of there or my stew will be cold!'

You sighs, walking out the bath and pulling out plug. Water slowly disappears with sad 'plum' sound. You take a while to dry up and put new clothes on you. Man clothes have some class in them, even for woman. You open door and come out.

Regreh stands near stove, taking some bowls from one of drawers. Also, some spoons. Castor himself was reading some book from bookshelf nearby, sitting on sofa. He looked at you for a while, nodding and smiling.

'How is water, Wev... Can I call you Wev, ma'am? I mean, when we are there, alone?' he ask shyly. You think for a while and shrug.

'I don't mind it, Castor. And don't call me "ma'am". I'm not lady... anymore, I think.' you chuckle and nods to him. Regreh coughs, placing bowls on table, including bigger, with stew itself. Well, time to eat!

You eat in silence, while Regreh and Castor argue which food and booze is better. This is good time to finally talk a bit with them, for real.

'Hmm, Castor.' he looks at you, suprised.

'Oh, yes?'

'I wanted to ask you... about your history. I think we deserve to know a bit more about you, while you are with us. Regreh and I know each other quite well, but you... you are almost stranger to us.' your voice isn't either cold or warm. You control it, don't let any thoughs or feelings get further then your own mind. He looks at you and looks at his bowl. Regreh looks at you, with cold eyes... well, sorry for destroying warm atmosphere, dwarf.

'I see... well, you are right. You deserve to know something about me... so where to start? Well, I'm Castor Bepsidan, last grade wizard from Vin-Libre. I was born in same land where I study, in family of wizards from first ancestor to me... so it is like tradition' he chuckles and shakes his head. 'Not that I wanted to be one, actually. But talent don't ask and it is better to control it. I'm pretty sure Weaver knows what happend to those that don't control it, after all she saw thing or two in her life. Anyway, I was send to Vin-Libre University where I meet my mentor and teacher. There I studied for... now, like, ten years? I'm 25 years old, now.'

You look at him, to see if he is lying... nothing suspicious for now. He seems to honest with you.

'Pretty young for wizard in last grade class. Impressive. You are powerful?' you eat another spoon of stew... damn you Regreh, why it must be so good?

'I'm not so powerful as you think, just talented. I'm quite weak, actually. Not so much Power in my veins. My father was disappointed. He had hope to see another archmage in our family.' Castor frowns. 'Well, but no. I'm nothing amazing.'

'So your family is powerful in Vin-Libre?' you don't have to ask that question. You know Bepsidan's quite well. They aren't important now, but before you even was an blink in eye of your father, they were. One of few Vin-Libre archmages was part of this family.

'Now? Nah, not at all. They still have some land on south.' They. He didn't seems to have warm feelings to rest of his family.

'So... you still didn't told us your... specialization.' Almost every wizard have some sort of specialization. Elemental magic. Offensive or defensive. Ilusion. And so on.

'Uh, I... well. I'm kind of... uh.' he don't look in your eyes... you feel that you rather will not like his answer. At all. 'I'm demonologist.'

'WHAT?!' Regreh almost falls from chair as he hear Castor answer. He jumps on his feet and touches his beard, almost pulling it off his face. His face, at leat that part you can see, is red as blood itself. 'You summon freaking demons and serve them?!'

Castor rises and shake his head, shocked. 'No! I would never serve any demon, Regreh. I never actually even summoned any, I just study them. I swear!'

Regreh hand touches his axe, but you are calm. At first glance. Your hand touches bowl with hot stew on middle of table, just in case. Hot stew in anyone eyes would be a problem, to that person, of course. You don't like this answer. Demonology isn't illegal, but people rather don't study it. Why? Well, it is almost asking for becoming an outcast in wizard society. Nobody want to deal with things that would do everything to get your soul. Why those fucking things even want soul. You cough, making both of them notice you.

'Calm down, both of you. I don't mind that, I know a few demonologists, Regreh. They aren't dealing with demons... they are researching them, their culture and powers. Don't make our friend cultist and don't mistake him for some madman.' you voice is calm enough to make them both relax... Castor looks away, silent. 'Don't worry, Castor. We are just... suprised. You don't meet many demonologist. Anyway, I suggest you to don't say anything about this in Larnman. They may don't like it at all. Anyway, we had a lot of strong... experiences.'

Regreh barely contain his wraith and you know he have his own reasons... well, dwarves old world was supposed to be destroyed after one of their own gods was fooled by demons and did something stupid enough to make it explode. Yes, it was reason good enough to break Castor neck, at least some dwarfs eyes.

'Anyway, maybe it is time to rest. Thanks for good meal, Regreh. Castor, I'm sorry for our reactions... at least, Regreh. He have right to be... nervous. Anyway, we will talk about it tomorrow. To beds, now.' you mutter and rub your eyes. You are really tired... slowly going to bed, you look at Regreh, muttering something. You shake your head and scold him with your glance... he mutters more and follows you to bedroom.

Four beds, two chest, one wardrobe and mirror. Simple bedroom, very simple. You or your agent's never spended in this room more time then you should. Beds were comfortable, but not anything above average quality.

You lies in bed and yawns. Regreh sits in bed on other site of room.

'Uh, you wanted to talk?' he scratches his beard, still a bit angry.

'No. I want to sleep. And both of you want also do it.' you looks at Castor, slowly entering bedroom... yes. You probably shouldn't look at them like that or it will lose it's effect. Anyway, you muttered. 'Goodnight.' and closed your eyes.

Dream came soon after this.

Next week of your life was full of work, sweat and suprises. Mostly work. After calm first night, you woke up, washed your armor while Regreh was cooking your breakfast. Castor was still sleeping. After a short talk with Reg about Castor, you convinced him to don't act like complete asshole toward poor boy. After breakfast, you decided to finally look around Dwarf Ward. Putting you armor and cloak with hood on yourself, you finally get out.

If there is something that don't change in world, it is Earthkin. They still are same as when they were back in time, when they came on Zinoth, at least they claims so. But you can bet on that it is truth. Two hundred years is around one dwarf generation, at least on their old world, it was like that. They were dying in thousands wars or battles... but they don't do it anymore. Nobody dare to provoke Earthkin. It happend once and South Kingdoms paid price for it.

What dwarves do? They work. Doesn't matter - man or woman, elder or child. They work in factors, mines, shops... everywhere. And they are best in most of those things. But their magnum opus, heart of their work is anything connected to metals. Anything made by dwarf masters from steel never will broke unless you want it to broke or unless you hit it with magic.

Dwarf Ward always looked like part of dwarven town outside mountains. Even air started to be same, after they opened their factors there. But you like it, as you like dwarves. Something in their unbreakable will made them earn your respect.

Anyway, for few hours, you was walking around and talking a bit with some random dwarves and people, trying to warm up you contact and pull some information from their gossip. Nothing interesting, sadly. You of course didn't asked about anything important or secret, just random Larmarn things. Siege, Council, mercs... same as always or you already know that.

And then you decided to visit a shop... with glasses. Why? Well, dwarves aren't only best smiths... they also make amazing glasses... and lens. Lens changing or adding some colour to your eyes, too. And this is why you decided to spend some money on those... it will help you be... "normal". With those, nobody will be able to tell that you are souless.

You knock... and hear response.

'Come in, come in!' older voice, harsh, but patient... you get in.

Shop looked like combination of warehouse and workshop. Dwarf was standing behind counter, with display cases on it. Lens, glasses, magnifiers and telescopes... anything you could imagine was there. Dwarf himself was old, old enough to be called elder. Grey hair and beard, touching probably to floor itself tells you that he is respected around here... you can say this also becouse of how... pretty his beard is. You don't saw many beards braided like this outside Dur-bazuk.

'Yes, ma'am? Can I help you?' he smiles to you. His face have more scars on it then it seems possible to. You could bet your right hand that he was a warrior, back in time... but on the other hand, you never saw dwarf that wasn't warrior. At least on your own eyes. Every dwarf know at least basics of close combat with axe.

'I wanted to buy lens. Color lens... to change my eye color.' you don't try to change your voice, there is no reason to do it. He nods and points display case next to you.

'Oh, so you come to good place, ma'am. Choose whatever you want.' he smiles, but his expression changes, when you pull your hood. He looks at your eyes and then grins. 'Oh, I see.'

'Hope it isn't an problem.' you look at lens, trying to find blue ones... simple, common color.

'Ah, for someone like me, never. I respect your kind, ma'am. You earned our respect by kicking those damn Gods butts.' he chuckles and when you points lens, he opens case from his side and touches them, with clean glove on his right hand. 'You want it packed, ma'am?'

'No, I will use them now, if you don't mind.' he shakes his head and hand those to you, giving you clean cloth before that. You put lens on your eyes and blink. Looking at mirror nearby, you smile to yourself. Perfect.

'I can't tell difference now, ma'am. Need anything else?' he asks, pulling glove from his hand... and then you see tattoo... you know it. Well enough.

'I didn't thought that I would meet Goban-Tar veteran in Larmarn.' you look at him as he looks at you, shocked. He touches his tattoo, as he would want to cover it, but do it only for a second.

'How do you know this tattoo... wait, you was there?' he eyes you suspiciously.

'Yes. I was there.' you nods and looks into his eyes, almost like challenging him...

'If you was... tell me something. Not from those damn stories that people tell around. Describe me what happend after we get on that damn mountain.' you shakes your head with a smile and start talking...

'I remember how we was waiting for Count Zabadon orders, while our wizards were scounting area around fortress... I remember how we was running on a top of that cursed place, while gryffiths and those young riders were trying to make us fall into abyss... I remember how we were forced to shoot some of them, but didn't killed any of them. Young people, too young for my own taste. They had a dream.' dwarf still glance you, doubtfully. So you continue. 'I remember how Zabadon finally ordered us to stop, almost under gates. And I remember sad look on his face when he said that we maybe will be forced to kill some of young riders. But then he pulled that thing from his pocket...' dwarf face change it's expression, when you mention that. He mutters something.

'I remember... how he wishpered something. And then, how he disappeared infront of our eyes. Or rather, how he was faster then wind... I saw only something that could be him... it was almost flying... those people stood no chance.' he shakes his head.

'He get all of them... knocked them out in air and killed their beasts.' you continue. 'And then, after almost five minutes, that for me were like eternity, he came back. Tired, but successful. And then he shouted his spell... and gates of Goban Tar fell on the ground, infront of us... and then we get inside. Only few people were there, but they was beastmasters... that was though battle. Many of ours died already, becouse of griffiths... but we slaughtered them. Adults died by our hands.'

Dwarf mutters again, but you almost don't hear him. His voice was weak...

'Stop.'

'We killed griffiths next to their masters. I remember how young people woke up, only to see their pets dead next to them. How they screamed, becouse of their connection. Something inside of them... died. We killed part of them, that day.'

'Stop...'

'And then, we get into Masters chamber. We... group of twenty people that was still able to stand on our legs after that battle. Some of us left us to make sure young nobles don't do anything stupid... his... it was his daughter or wife? I don't remember. She jumped on us with that claymore... killed five of us before we almost tore her apart... while Zanoth, master of New Riders was escaping to elfs lands, only place he could hide from us. I remember how we get on a top of this tower and how Zabadon screamed into air, trying to shoot him down, but he couldn't. He was too tired. And he already was too far... and then, we came back down, looking at blood that we spilled on snow...

Dwarf suddenly hits counter with his hand, almost making you jump back, but you was ready for that. You didn't let any emotions out. He screamed...

'STOP! I believe you!' his voice breaks as he leans on counter, looking at floor' Just... stop.'

You stand there, in silence, for a few moments, before he calms down. He looks at you and sighs.

'I'm sorry... I shouldn't treat my own comrade like that. You... didn't did this only to reminder me about what we have done right? You want something? What old dwarf can do for you, my comrade?' his voice is bitter, but warm.

'I need best craftsman around there to make me some throwing knives. I need someone who could sold me belt... with pocket's on it. Special kind, like those that wizards or thieves sometimes wears. Easy to reach and hide under cloak. Last thing... I need informations. Anything about Council and shit that happend in city in last six months. About Werner Kaizoku. About things that happend in whole Known World in last year. About something called Silver Towers and someone called Alargon.' you let words flow from your mouth. 'Will pay for everything.'

'For craftsman, you will need gold... about informations... I will do what I can. But I'm not one of those people that can find everything about everything. I suggest you seek also elsewhere. And... you don't need to play me about informations. Treat it like paying an debt.' he looks at you and nods. 'For old times.'

Next six days are full of same stuff, but this time, you go around. To Beggars and Whores, paying for anything they can find, without telling them too much details. In meantime, you ask Regreh to do the same. Of course, you ask him only for searching informations about common thing and Kaizoku... House and Hiri, this you leave for yourself. Looking around old safehouses, you avoid anyone that you could know. You try to find anything that could make you sure about their fate... And after seven days, you finally get raports, paid with gold.

***​

You thorws your blade right into wall, as you storm into your safehouse. Regreh and Castor hide under table as blade flies between their faces. Your face could be decribed only as an mask of some ghost of wraith. Evening probably would add something to it, but room don't have windows...

'DAMN IT! DAMN THAT LITTLE WEASEL! I will fucking kill him! KILL HIM!' you hit table with both of your hands... how foolish you was. How you could be so stupid to fail like that?

'Calm down, girl! What happend?! You looks like you would just learned that Gods came back.' Regreh stands next to you and place his hand at your shoulder... well, arm. Castor prefer to stay away, in safe distance.

'I was betrayed, Regreh. That damn message was fucking trap. That damn little fucking weasel betrayed me! He lured me into trap, you understand? Somehow, someone learned about House and used that to capture me on that damn road, after Werner send this fucking letter.'

'How do you know?'

'I learned that he get shitton of money, soon after my disapperance. I didn't mean some shitty coins, Regreh. He get enough money to stop selling informations and hire fucking mercenary company, buy house in Lords and became noble. You understand? This isn't some fucking sort of weird luck and don't even try to deny it, dwarf or I will kick you in face.' you growled and hit table again. 'Damn it... he knew about Hiri and House... Hiri... FUCK THIS SHIT!' you try to hit table again, but suddenly, your legs became weak. You fell on floor and feel... nothing. You are empty... Gods, not now. Not now!

'Damn, Weaver! Get up, girl... what is happening to you?'

You look at Regreh, scared and confused.

'Hunger came back, Regreh. I need to feed on someone... Gods, I almost forget. I must suck someone this week... They were pumping life energy into me, I forget to eat... it probably just finished, this is why I almost fainted... seems that vacation is over. Here we go again...' you try to smile, but you can't. This isn't something that you should make you smile.

And then someone knock to door. Rather not someone, but group of someones. You didn't locked door, but slowly get up... you heard how their armors and weapons hits into each other.

And then you hear voice of one man.

'Open, in the name of Council!'

Well, crap... you slowly open the door, ready to jump behind those, after you hide blade behind your back.

Rather small, but still impressive party of mercs look at your face, with crossbows ready to shoot in your face. You see tabard of Bloody Larns on their armors.

Well crap.

'We are here to take professor Castor Bepsidan with us. Council requested his presence in Citadel. Any attempt to stop us will end with us, using force to take him.

Well...

'Crap.' you heard Castor voice...

***​

It still isn't the end, but only small part left, tomorrow I will finish it. For now, have this and be happy. I hope quality is enough as an payment for time that you wasted checking alerts. :lol:

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
A demonologist from a famous family who studied his specialization officially, in a city under a demon siege. It was bound to happen. Had we known sooner, we'd probably keep him under a lock somewhere.

They are desperate for a solution and they want his input. That is all easy to understand.

The question is, how did they know it was him, and do they know who are his companions? And if they know, who else might? Maybe we could come with them and find it out. Then again, we are not someone who would want to meet a lot of people.

There go our hopes for laying low, it seems. Still, the Council might not be interested in spreading rumors. I wonder, can we somehow get their protection? Might count for something.

I wonder if there is any connection between someone capturing Castor and the demon invasion several months after. Can't be that many demonologists around, and he doesn't have much else going for him that would interest the captors.

The plot thickens. :avatard:

Also, I am beginning to wonder if these events are not related...
Wizards locked in cells looked like they really would remain trapped there without you... but what did you do? Did you free them, despite the risk of begin caugh while destroying the sigils? But who knows, maybe they got out alive from that hell hole?
Who knows...
Blue Eyes. He seems to be dead for a while now... but not so long. His blood is still warm. As is message left on his hands, written with his own blood.

Silver Towers. - on the right...

Alargon failed. - on the left.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Chapter 5 part III
Council

'Crap.' Castor sighs as he looks at people behind door... but you notice something. His expression changes, as he sighs, his gaze... looks more focused. You hear how his voice transform, almost like one sound would replace another. In matter of few seconds, you see how Castor changes into other person and you can tell it without any problems. Everything in his movements, way of looking around... you shiver... 'Indeed, what an unfortunate turn of events.' his voice still belong to Castor you know, but way he speak... he sounds like someone that saw more then he should in his life and is still alive to tell his tale.

Man in armor looks at him and take something from his bag, an scroll. He looks at it and then on Castor. 'It seems that we finally found you, professor. Will you go with us or...?' he let his words stay unfinished.

'Oh, don't worry, my dear man. I will accept invitation of dear Council... but I have one request.' Castor-not Castor looks at you and turn his eyes back on man with tabard. 'My companions will go with me.'

Regreh looks at you and you look at him... what is Castor doing? In meantime, man looks at you, thinking.

'Fine, professor. Please, go with us. Don't worry about your house, I will leave two of my best soldiers there to guard it.' he nods his head and turn around... Castor follow... as you do. You rather don't have choice this time. You go on first floor rather fast... only to see big hole in one of corners, probably to one of tunnels under town... they probalby have wizard with them. Two soldiers jump down, and then Talking Man, as you decided to call him, points it for you.

Jumping down, you find out that you was correct. It is one of those tunnels. You walk, walk for long time. Finally, you decide to talk with Castor, damn this shit.

'Castor... What the hell are yo-' he stops you, raising his hands and muttering something to Talking Man. Talking Man shrughs and shakes his head, so he turn his eyes on you and gestures to you... probably you can talk again now... what the hells? 'Professor? You told me that you are first grade wizard, not damn Professor.'

'Well... It wasn't lie. But it was. Complicated. But we don't have time to talk about things like that right now. We will attend to more important things soon.' he shakes his head as smiles to you. 'They will want to talk with me about things that happend around. It is only possible reason that I can think of.'

You nods in response. Regreh mutters something, but you don't hear what. After few long moments, you finally stop, as Talking Man command his soldiers to look around if someone isn't observing them.

'Everything seems clear, sir.' one of mercs nodded to Talking Man and he pointed on one of walls. Another soldier whispered something and light appeared in his lights. After short while, wall moved, showing another tunnel. You walked through hole and it closed right after that. Impressive.

This tunnel have some torches placed on walls of it. Your group slowly walk toward little door on the other side. Talking Man whispers something and knock three times... door opens.

And you finally reach place that you remember. This is one of corridors in Citadel itself. You was there, two times. Two times you already meet Council... well, not THIS Council. Council exist for many, many years, but people die. There always is someone who wait to take place of another person.

You take another walk, but now you know where you are heading. You start to see patrols all around you... they really make sure nobody will get there or out there without their knowledge... or support of small army.

Finally, you get into a big room, with many benches and some table next to them. Other then that, there are two statues next to big, steel door... To one of Council meeting chambers. Of course, there are two guards next to door. Talking Man points at door and salutes to guards. They respond and knock to door... and then opens it.

He gets inside, as you heard conversation... or rather argument, being cut in middle of it, as doors open and Talking Man get inside. You saw faint light inside of room... like always. For a moment, doors close, but opens really fast as you are called inside. You and Castor. Only you are called. You look at Regreh, but he only smiles and shakes his head... You don't have much choice with that matter. Council is Council.

You get behind big door, with Castor... and those close behind you. You now stand in middle of big, but empty room. You see big table, with some chairs and people sitting on those... some of them are hidden in shadows, while some faces are visible in faint light. Council often choose that light and other thing in those rooms... magic is all around you and you know that one wrong step and you would be dead before you could even take blade out of scabbard. Suddenly, people look at you and Castor. You see some familiar faces. You never saw Kardim before, but tabard on his chest say everything. It is Captain of Guard. Katarina Cook looks at you and greets you with small nod and grin. Probably most suprised to see you is other person...

Alexander looks at you, as his eyes widens. He try to hide his astonishment, but he fails as he release weak word from his mouth. 'Auntie?!' he shakes his head and his normal, neutral expression came back... you smile to yourself.

And there are others, hidden in shadows. You think you know some, but last time, you was there 15 years ago, so any member in shadow could change.

'Welcome... Professor Bepsidan... and we also welcome your companion... may you tell us who are you?' one of voice from shadows start to speak.

'I can tell you. Meet Weaver, Master of House of Servants, Spymaster and really good woman.' Katarina giggles and let other continue.

'We know it is suprise for you, dear Professor... and also to you, Weaver. But we were forced to... make this meeting. You probably already know why, Professor.' another voice is very, very calm, but also warm.

'I know.' Castor-not Castor nods and smiles to shadows. 'You want me to help you with your... demonic problem.'

'Indeed, but we don't know if you are person that we think you may be... It was rather hard to find you, professor and we could make mistake. Would you please tell us, what you think about what happends around? Why portal opens... while it shouldn't even be possible to exist so close to Tear?'

Castor smiles and spread his hands. 'It is very simple... you have someone in this city who have... how you say it... yes. Anchor. Somebody created thing that make it possible to create stable connection with this plane. It probably isn't perfect, but it is enough to open portal sometimes.'

Silence falls in room, as shadows and faces don't even move. Finally, Kardim breaks it.

'So... you are telling us that there is somebody working with those cratures in our town?'

'It is only possible way to open that portal, other then random opening in all around Known World everytime they try it.' Castor shrugs and smiles. 'I would suggest to find that thing and destroy it before they will make it more stable or create more anchors. If they manage to do it, it will be... unplesant. In other words, they will get their army there though not random, a bit unstable portal, but Gates.'

You disturb their talk, as you finally decide to act.

'Can someone tell me, why we are here? Or at least you... professor?'

'Oh.' he looks at you and nods. 'I assume that you will give me proposition of work. And I accept it. Yes, like that. And no, not for free. I will ask you about something if I manage to help you. And about you, my dear Weaver... I want you to work with me. You proven yourself quite skilled on our way there.'

One of shadows cut in before you can speak.

'I assume you also want something, Weaver?' you think and... finally, nods.

'I want your permission and promise that you will not fuck into my private matter in this town.' you simply say what you want.

'And that is?'

'And that is life of Warner Kaizoku.'

'I think... I think it may not be possible. You see, he is someone important now.' for first time, Alexander speak. 'He get a lot of money, bought a lot of things, among them one of companies that support us with demon matter... and he is one of Lords now. We can't just simply give him away to you, now.'

You think... and find something interesting. If they know about it, it will be pointless... but if they didn't...

'All right. In exchange, I will give you this information: Archmage Masked is back.' you grin to them, as silence came back.

'... I... see. Can someone confirm your words?' one of shadows seems deeply disturbed by this information.

'Me.' Castor smiles to them...

'I see. Well, for that... I think... we can allow you to act. But nothing more. We don't get into it. Fell free, but I suggest to make a plan... Kaizoku may not be same man as you remember him. Also, we will want to ask about more... but about that, later.' one of shadows suddenly cuts in.

'I have... contra-proposition for you. Work with us. Help us stop deamons and we will not only give you free hand in Kaizoku matter... we will give you that fucker on a silver plate with golden cutlery. Also, we will... offer you standard payment...' he looks at other shadows, but he don't see anything and continue. '15000 coins. Also... there will be bonuses. If you succeed.'

Well, it seems it is finally time to decide... Will you agree?
a) Yes.
b) No.
c) Change something in this proposition.

Time to vote - 24 hours.

Nevill

Arcane
Well, if they want our help with the matter, I don't want just Kaizoku. I want the Council's help in the entire clusterfuck. To find the ones responsible for the fall of the House of Servants, and to bring punishment upon them all, regardless of who they are.

Kaizoku is only going to be the first link in this chain.

Does Weaver think they can help us restore a new House of Servants? Does Larnmarn/The Council need this type of organization, with its Thieves/Assassins guilds already operating?

I am pretty keen on making us operate again, and we might become the Council's hands and eyes and ears beyond the city.

What does Weaver think of this idea? The House of Servants is called that because they serve, don't they? Whether it is a royal family of Randel (or whom did we work for before?) or the Council of Larnmar should not matter... right?

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Well, if they want our help with the matter, I don't want just Kaizoku. I want the Council's help in the entire clusterfuck. To find the ones responsible for the fall of the House of Servants, and to bring punishment upon them all, regardless of who they are.

Kaizoku is only going to be the first link in this chain.

Does Weaver think they can help us restore a new House of Servants? Does Larnmarn/The Council need this type of organization, with its Thieves/Assassins guilds already operating?

I am pretty keen on making us operate again, and we might become the Council's hands and eyes and ears beyond the city.

What does Weaver think of this idea? The House of Servants is called that because they serve, don't they? Whether it is a royal family of Randel (or whom did we work for before?) or the Council of Larnmar should not matter... right?

Heh, this in Nev I know and I like. Let's get with questions:

Weaver know it is possible to recreate House of Servants, but it would take much, much time. Each time she created new version of it, it took around 5 -6 years to find right people, gain their loyalty, test them and train them in basic things to make sure that everything don't crush under it's own weight. Also, it would be a bit... too much connection to anyone for her own taste. Council are pretty fair people... well, at least in this buisness, but even they sometimes are forced to fuck up their own people to greater cause, like in this one. They know how many people dies in each attack, but those are necessary sacrifices to make everything run in city at tolerable levels of fucked up.

Also, Thieves and Assassins have a bit of spy organizations in their own duties, but not on so deep levels as House. They collect informations and deal with problems, but it is connected to Council zone of influence. They don't want to press Circle too much becouse they know how this could end. Only thing that they care about is Larnmarn and old Tarum and rest of lands can go fuck themselfs if they still will trade with them. And they will.

Weaver probably could accept something like 'partnership', where Council would give you money to start and maybe you would be able to even negotiate thing like that, for some kind of jobs for them, but nothing else. Serving under Council would be acceptable, but one thing make it too dangerous for your cause - Circle. Working for Council would probably end with some sort of conflict with Circle/Circle agents in shadows and you can't afford something like this, at least not now. (In Weaver eyes). Only thing she want to do is get those motherfuckers, but she don't have anything against helping people or Council as long as it helps her cause.

About House of Servants name - it is both that and sort of pun. They serve those that pay, but they also serve something greater. (both you and cause of peace in lands, solving conflict not best for nobles or wizards, but normal people or at least 50/50 for everyone) It is both kind of idea and work toward your idea of better world... but for quite some time, you rather didn't care about it now...

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Well, alright. Not the Council's full backing, but their aid in tracking (and sometimes taking) down the perpetrators. We may call upon their resourses when it comes down to this particular business. Is that feasible?

Can we use the Council to track the survivors of the House, or is it stupid to let other people know who our agents are?

They seem to be pretty well-informed themselves, which goes without saying for someone who competes with the Circle.

Ultimately, I want two problems solved. The New House created from whatever is left of the old one, and eliminating the threat that destroyed us the last time. Like, completely, if that's possible and we don't run into one of the archmages following this up. What can we reasonably ask of the Council with that in mind?

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Weaver would like that option with resources in exchange for some private jobs for them. It seems fine idea for her.

Uh, that would be a bit... foolish. (in Weaver eyes) There are some agents that Council probably know as they worked with you in some cases for them, but Weaver rather don't want to give any informations to them about others that make it alive. They also probably know about what happend to house.

It depends. They would sure ask about more details and you have only that what you saw and what Masked gave you. He promised more informations and I as Weaver would suggest to wait with propositions like this to a moment when you will do what they want and they will be in your debt or if you found out anything that might connect those people to any of their shit. This would help.

Nevill

Arcane
Masked didn't give us anything about the House of Servants, though. Not that we asked.

So what Weaver thinks is that if we want to make both of those goals a reality, we are better off accepting the counter-proposal and getting the Council in our debt. Is that it?

Well, with a bit of a drawback that is opposing a demon army, of course. :M

Do any of those know that we are Soulless and have certain needs? Are they willing to look the other way while we feed if we accept?

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Masked didn't give us anything about the House of Servants, though. Not that we asked.

So what Weaver thinks is that if we want to make both of those goals a reality, we are better off accepting the counter-proposal and getting the Council in our debt. Is that it?

Well, with a bit of a drawback that is opposing a demon army, of course. :M

Do any of those know that we are Soulless and have certain needs? Are they willing to look the other way while we feed if we accept?

Yes, she pretty much think if would be best way, for now. Not that she decides. :smug:

Ah, Masked promised you informations about people that captured you, but who knows if he or when he will do it.

You don't have to fight with whole army. Just don't let them open stable portal... Or then you will have that problem.

About... Food... Back in time Council provided you supply of shady people that would be executed anyway, so maybe they will agree on same thing again.

asxetos

Augur
A.
We knew we would deal with the demon problem sooner or later so why not have the backing of the council while doing so?

Nevill

Arcane
Not that she decides. :smug:
What do you mean? Isn't that the content of their counter-proposal?
'I have... contra-proposition for you. Work with us. Help us stop deamons and we will not only give you free hand in Kaizoku matter... we will give you that fucker on a silver plate with golden cutlery. Also, we will... offer you standard payment...' he looks at other shadows, but he don't see anything and continue. '15000 coins. Also... there will be bonuses. If you succeed.'

About... Food... Back in time Council provided you supply of shady people that would be executed anyway, so maybe they will agree on same thing again.
Perfect.

Do we need to kill them, though? As far as I know, it is not necessarily lethal... or is it?

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Not that she decides. :smug:
What do you mean? Isn't that the content of their counter-proposal?

Do we need to kill them, though? As far as I know, it is not necessarily lethal... or is it?

It was joke, Nev. I mean that not she, but you decide about that. If you want to go maximum fuck, is is your adventure.

Oh, you don't have to kill them (10 people sucked harmlessly or 2 to death), but those are people that nobody will miss. Your decision.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Oh. And if you are interested what Council mean by 'on silver plate' - they will make his mercs abandon him, his money will disappear, his title will be worthless and at the end they will arrest him under some official reason and send him to you.

Nevill

Arcane
Yeah, figured as much. I just wanted to be able to do the same with the people he would point at. But I guess we'll be dealing with this one thing at a time.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
I just wanted to be able to do the same with the people he would point at. But I guess we'll be dealing with this one thing at a time.

If they will be able to deal with those people like that, they may do it. Depends on many things. But someone that either captured you and destroyed House (if those are same people/groups) can be beyond their reach.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
You can ask about some time to get out of a room and talk with him about that, but it is matter that everybody should decide. If anyone don't have anything against it, feel free.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Also, I'm sorry, but I must say that I rushed a bit with that last part... thing on spoiler will be some kind of extra thing, added to chapter 5. Read it too, please.

You looked at shadows and sighed.

'Not so fast. I want details. About job, about what you can do for me and about... what happend if I don't accept.' you glances at Council... and Council glance at you. Finally, another voice break silence.

'We want you to assist professor in his job. As his bodyguard, assisant... whatever he mean. I suggest ask him, not us. Anyway... I think we should first talk about that. With professor alone.' he looks at Castor and he respond with small nod. 'Please, Weaver, wait outside. We must think about it.'

You nods and slowly walk to door, pushing it. You nods to Regreh as door close behind you. He sits on bench, on other side of room.

'And... what is all this shit about?' he looks at your face, waiting for answers... you tell him whole story while he listens to you and his expression changes with your words...

'So they want to work with that damn lying scum to save their city and they will give us what we want? Huh... you trust those people, Weaver?' you think about his words and sighs.

'Trust them? No, never. But I know that they don't double-cross us if we don't force them to do it. And I think it is actually good offer. What do you think?'

'If you are fine with it, I'm too. You are spymaster around there, not me, my dear girl.' he chuckles and scratches his head. 'So we will work with them now?'

'I will think about it, Regreh. I still want more details...' as you say those words, door opens again. Guard gesture to you to get back in. You do what he ask.

Council visible faces seems either satisfied or callm. People hidden in shadows whisper to each other and from that you can make out, they agreed to some offer from Castor. Only one of them is still angry... he didn't wanted to agree. Castor asked for 'something he shouldn't know, even as something he... is' and that Council 'Shouldn't agree to give somebody like that more knowledge or it will make problems for all of us', but it seems that that other voices already made their decision. Castor himself seems to be also happy with their choice. He looks at you and offer you small nod and smile... you don't respond. Finally, Alex speak.

'Professor, please, explain Weaver why you want her help.'

'Ah, yes.' Castor nods again and start walking around... and talk in same time. 'I need your skills to find those people that aid demons in their mission. They want to get to this realm by this portal. As you remember, I told Council about anchor... or anchors. Those things must be destroyed. With that, their portal will fade, forever. They won't be able to create same kind of portal - from same place to same place... and this will either destory their plans or suspend them for ages. So we will be safe. Problem is that anchors can't be deteced by any other means then normal searching... those things emit an signal only once - when stable portal is opened... a bit too late for our case. If we don't manage to either destroy those things or kill those people, we can only pray... but sadly, I believe that there aren't Gods that could support us.' he grins. 'Anyway, I believe in your talents.'

'I see... but there is also last thing - what will happend if I don't accept?' you look at Council, to see their reactions... nothing.

'Well, you will be able to get Kaizoku on your own. We don't care about him... as long as you don't get into any of our things.' another shadow respond... it seems that those are answers that you could get. Simple thing... at least for now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom