Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Known World - Dead Gods hear no pray (CYOA) - "frozen"

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
We are a spymaster, yes... just without an organizaton to back us up in case we poke our nose somewhere it doesn't belong.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Chapter 4
City of Thieves

Sun shines above Darknam Lake and Larnmarn, city of Wonders... and Thieves. You feel how it's heat touches your face and smiles to yourself. Buildings reach sky, high above old city walls. For thousand of years Larnmarn was expanding itself around it's first walls. Now almost entire lake was buried under it, creating it's famous canals and sewers. Towers, build of wood, stone, metal and whatever else could be used in creating something, was used there. It was like mix of everything known to civilization and probably some things that civilization don't know yet.

Around Lake itself, a lot of little 'towns' were builed by people that didn't wanted to live in crowded center of Larnmarn. However, people calling themselfs 'Larns' live only in buildings on lake. Most of other people are just 'newcomers' to everyone in that place. Nobody said that they aren't welcome there... everybody were. But this place have it's rules.

You always remember about them, when you get there. Slowly riding on horse, you come closer and closer to first border of Larnmarn, Outskirts. People from there often called Outskirts another Ward, but most of 'true' Larns would probably beat someone for saying anything like that, so most of people from Outskirts were just working and living there.

'Regreh, Castor... come closer to me, we must talk. But not loud.' you mumured silently as both of them looked at you, suprised. They get closer and let you continue. 'First, you don't call me Weaver anymore. I know it will may be weird for you, but now we play with my game. By coming with me, both of you already agreed... but you can still go away, before I will told you my plan. But this is last chance.' You looked at Castor. You knew Regreh would always agree with you in that matter. He knew who you was, after all. But Castor... that was other matter. He knew you was someone that hide in shadows and values discretion... but nothing more.

'I... uh. I go with you so I stay, ma'am We... I mean, ma'am.' Castor eyes met your eyes and he didn't turn them away. Good. He really may be useful in future.

'Great. Now, you will call me Laizne. This is how most of people around called me, back in time. Common name in Larnmarn. Anyway, there were also titles, but you don't have to know them. I will find us transport into city. And before you ask - no. We can't get by main gate. Someone always watch. I had idea about safe pathes, but I think we can't choose any of them, except one now. I will tell you everything after we get to safe place.'

'All right, Laz, my girl.' Regreh chuckles and nods to you. Castor smile to you, but his smile is rather not so happy as always. He seems to be bit confused about that what is happening around. But to be honest, you aren't suprised. Amateurs...

'You will get to tavern called "Three Golden Cats", few streets away from there and wait until I come back. Drink some beer, talk with locals, but don't, for love of Dead Gods, get their attention on you. Those people will find newcomer in damn locked, iron chest.' you smiles to your memories... they really sometimes found one. In chests. At bottom of the Lake. 'Anyway, if I don't come back in two, three hours, get your horses and ride wherever you want. Becouse this either mean that I get into trap or I'm dead.'

'Come on, girl. I know you will came back. Just do whatever you must. Come, Castor, my dear spell-caster.' Regreh laughs again, at his own pun while Castor seems to be little... embarrassed. Well, it seems that they will found their way around there.

You take a quick walk to one of little taverns, next to
shore of the Lake. You know who you will found inside. As always. With face hidden under hood, you slowly walk in, looking around. Tavern "Golden Fish' was almost empty... you aren't suprised. Only two type of people drink there - smugglers and thieves. Heaven for your plan.

You see familar face and smile under hood. Person that you want to find. He know you, of course not under your real name or even your codename, but under many of your other names. That one was your contact with smugglers all around Lake. You used many of them. Only way to stay hidden in this city is change of name. Or having many names. Slowly walking towards their table, you look around once more.

Barkeep was busy with drinking. Three other people were playing dices next to your contact. You don't know only one of them them, so he is probably new.

'Hey, boys. Care to talk about buisness?' you changed your voice. It is always good to be careful around. Always.

'Get lost, woman. We don't work today.' snarky looking man didn't even looked at you. Barnaba. One of your minor contacts in Outskirts. He didn't reorganize you and you aren't suprised. You saw him long ago... but people like him doesn't change much.

'Come on. I can pay standar-' you didn't even finished your sentence before Barnaba catched your hand, when you leaned on the table, as many womans from Outskirts would do. They feel free in their part of this town, as nobody would let harm their own girls. Even whores.

'You make ma angry. And when ma get angry, I'm also horny. So... tell me do you want to plan. Maybe you will pay in other wa! - AGHT!' you hit him right in nerve in his hand. Few second later, he was already locked in your grip. And with your blade on his throat. Two of three thugs sitting next to you pulled knives out of their pockets. Situation is getting hotter.

'I tried to play this cool, Barn. Tell your friends to sit and don't move, all right? I don't want to hurt you.' You let your voice become normal. 'I assume you remember that blade, yes?'

Barnaba body become rigid as he feel cold steel on his throat. His head move a bit, as he looks at on hilt of your knive... or machete, depends who ask. You see as his
cheeks pales.

'I swear I didn't know it is you. You know that I would never say anything like that to...' you interrupt him.

'Woman that saved your kids.' both of other man that you know slowly hide their knives. Youngest one still look at you, watching. 'And tell that kid to put that little crossbow on table or I will make sure you will have only two kids, Barn. I don't like hiding weapons under tables.'

"Kid" looked at you, shocked. His shaking hand slowly put crossbow on table and took bolt away from it. You released Barn from your grip in meantime.

'By the way, how are they, Barn? I heard your daugher became lieutenant in City Guard. And your son is studying as medic under master alchemist.' he looks at you, still pale and take a big sip from his bottle.

'Aye... they are doing good job. It keep them from that shithole. Anyway, I, uh... I didn't know it was you, I swear! Anyway... you wanted to talk about buisness...'

'Yes, as always. I need to send package into city. Three of them, actually. And horses. Tonight.' you smiled to him, but that was cold smile. You actually like Barn, he was good man and solid partner, but sometimes he forget about those values. Mostly by a lot of some sort of booze.

'You are lucky today. We have little trip to town, this night. Three points. Trade Ward, Lords Ward - important part of our tonight journey... and 'docks'. Where you want to get?'

'Trade Ward.' you responded, without any details. This is how this works, after all. 'How much?'

Barnaba grins to you and takes another sip from his bottle. 'Oh, this time for...'

'Say "free" and I will kick you in your balls. Nothing is free in this city. Both of us know about that.' you also grins to him and two older of his companions make little chuckle. It is kind of local joke - free usually means either trouble or some sort of trick in slang.

'So... standard price. Two hundreds of gold coins for one package. And... 50 for one horse. Deal?' Barnaba scratches his head and smiles to you. You see that he is happy to finally meet you again... probably becouse you always pay.

'Deal. Standard meeting place?' he nods to confirm your words. 'Oh, and I have an request... take only trusted people to crew, this time.' you grins to him as he roll his eyes. It was point of whole problem six years ago, when his kids were kidnapped by his... competitor. He somehow get contact with you, outside jobs and beg for help... of course, you helped him. Why? Well, it was like finding golden ore in cooper mine. Old, experienced smuggler with debt to you. Yeah, good thing.

'Yes. And ma will remember. Anyway, it is good to know you are in town again. Later.' you nods to them as he finish talking. You know it is over of your conversation. It always was like this. Slowly moving towards Golden Cats, you think about your plan and... wait, why this damn tavern looks like it is in the middle of fucking brawl?!

Well, maybe becouse it IS in middle of some brawl. You slowly walk towards tavern entrance, only to jump away when man in... plate armor fly through one of windows. You heard Regreh laughter and look into tavern...

Well, chaos isn't word correct enough to describe what was happening in that building at that time. Tavern was full of people beating each other in random groups. On the center of room you saw Regreh, two other dwarfs and Castor. Regreh had chair and bottle as weapons, dwarves decided to take good old mugs. Castor, as you notes, suprised... also is armed. Chair. On other site of room there also was group of other people, looking at Regreh and rest of his... companions. Probably some mercs.

They outnumber Regreh group, but other tavern patrons were keeping them busy. In meantime, you jumped through the window and make a run toward Castor and Regreh. Dodging punches and bottles, you finally reach them.

'We are getting the fuck out of there! NOW!' your scream was loud enough to break through chaotic sounds of brawl. Regreh and Castor looked at you and nodded. After few moments and not without few... "obstacles" at your away you finally managed to get out of tavern. You decided to quickly disappear from sight of anyone that would want to deal with those both idiots that are traveling with you.

Little group of bystanders gathered around tavern... it always was some kind of entertainment for those simple people. Living in Outskirts wasn't too interesting, exluding possibility to end dead at some kind large pit... but that was included in local attractions. You started moving toward that group, but you wasn't fast enough. Part of mercenaries group jumped out of tavern, though another window. They are after Regreh and two other dwarfs, probably. You don't believe in possiblilty of Castor pissing anyone enough to start brawl.

'Where are you going, you fucking little midgets! We didn't finished our debate!' yell one of mercenaries, elf with long, blond hair and bow on his back. Regreh hit back with his responce.

'Fucking longeared scum! I won't take back that! You insulted dwarven culture and I will beat the shit out of you for that!' Regreh hit his own hand with other palm and grins. Other dwarfs supported him with their dwarven insults and warm words. Only your hand on his shoulder stopped him from getting into another fight.

'Calm down, for fuck sake! We can't afford fight in middle of town, for dead Gods sake.' you looked at elf. He giggles and looked at his companions. 'Hey, what the hell happend and why you want to beat my friend?'

'Oh, I didn't saw you back there! I'm sorry, my lady, but this is private matter between us!' he responded with grin on his face, but his voice wasn't mean or anything like this.

'Private matter? Well, I would say that starting brawl over private matter isn't too wise option to solve it.' you glanced at elf and he looked a bit... well... ashamed? His companions muttered something to him and nodded. You heard at least part of their words and they pretty much agreed with you. They also scold him for 'not enough caution'.

'It was accident, I swear. We had little sparing and then your friend punched me across the room... I kind of fell into some group of angry sailors... or whatever they call local people that swim on that damn lake. They kind of started it after my friends decided to help me a bit!' one of his companions, young girl with hair red like fire and freckles all over her face nodded and added something to his explanation.

'Sarim is right. We didn't started it nor your friend. It was their duel and... oh shit, commander...' she looked at man, slowly walking towards their group. Bald, with claymore sword on his back. Expensive set of armor and purple cloak were looking almost like part of him. His face was calm, but his eyes... well, you won't grace them with description. Enough to say, he was not amused. His voice was also calm, but loud, as almost every voice that yells orders on battlefield. It was one of these types that looked like they were born on battefield and their first words were 'Stand in damn array, you morons!'.

He look at group of mercenaries and makes an little gesture, summoning elf and girl toward him. Their faces look like face of punished little dog... it would be kind of funny, if this wouldn't be kind of problem. Damage was already done. People saw your group, you leave the trace. He whispered something to them and their faces change for a moment, almost like he wouldn't say something, but slaped them. They respond, silent enough to make even you don't hear their words. In meantime, two dwarfes silently came back to tavern... you shake your head... it is always like that.

After few moments, he turned his head to you and slowly approach. He greet you with little nod and says.

'Well, it seems that we have kind of problem. My soldiers kind of explained me what happend in that tavern... eh, two days in that damn town and they already get themselfs into another 'adventure', bloody hell.' he rub his forehead and sighs. 'Anyway, probably soon we will have little visit from some kind of angry local militia or whatever they have in this part of Larnmarn. I never stayed there, as I don't like this part of this town, but I was forced to. Anyway, I hope you don't have any problems with my morons.'

Before you even could say something, Regreh jumps next to you and almost yell at poor man.

'Of course we have pretensions to them! That... that damn elf insulted dwarven culture! I demand either his apology or his blood!' he touched his beard and pulled it, furiously.

'Regreh, shut the fuck up.' your voice was cold as ice on northren sea. Dwarf opens his mouth and look at you suprised. 'And now, when you finally pay some attention to me, tell me... what did he said.'

'He said that elven wine is better then those "dwarven piss"! You understand!? HE INSULTED DWARVEN BREWERY. I DEMANT VENDETTA!' you looks at Regreh, for few, long moments. And merc commander accompanies you in this, for long time. Your hand find your forehead almost like some kind of automaton as you mutters something that, for peace of poor souls reading about this adventure in future, I don't write there. Suddenly, elf responds.

'Becouse I'm right! This damn piss is terrible! I would ra... rath... ' he stops talking as soon as he see his commander glance placed at him. He pales a bit as commander summons him closer, with another gesture.

'Sarim.' his voice is too calm for your own taste. You know what will happend in a few moments.

'Yes, commander Garrik?' Sarim looks at ground, rather then on Garrik. Well, his face looks pretty much as face of man that will soon meet rope at top of gallows.

'Three weeks of cooking, without any help. Cleaning toilets, two weeks. And I'm taking 1/5 of your payment to pay for damage you did in that tavern, understand?' elf nods, with pale face, without any word of objection. 'Now, get your things and get the fuck out of my sight.' he turns his eyes on rest of his soliders. 'All of you!'

After few moments, Garrik mercenaries disappear from your sight, as Garrik ordered. They stop on other site of street, around 150 feets from you, near bunch of packages. Commander himself sighs and turns to Regreh.

'I'm sorry for Sarim words... he can be... mean sometimes. I hope you aren't angry at rest of my people.'

'No, commander Garrik. I shouldn't react like that too. It is my fault as well. I must apologize for my actions!' Regreh turn his head away and start walking toward mercenaries. Castor, silent for whole time, go with him. You try to stop them, but Garrik hand on your shoulder hold you in one place. In meanwhile, group of bystanders finally start to walk away. 'At least they had their part of fun', you chuckles in your mind.

'Anyway, I'm Garrik, commander of that group of morons. Sometimes I think it is shame that they called their group with my own name... but those are my morons, after all.' he smiles to you in that weird warm way... you respond with same smile. You understand well enough how is it, to have people under your command... well, not in that way, but House of Servants sometimes had that kind of problems.

'I'm... Laizne. I understand your pain, Garrik. Anyway, I'm sorry for problems... I wasn't there to stop it. Next time, I will be sure that this don't happend. I swear.' your "be" was strong enough to make Garrik shiver. Bravo.

'Laizne, nice name. I will remember it. Anyway, are you mercenaries too?' you look at him, suprised. And you shaked your head.

'No, we are just traveling together. Why do you ask?'

'Oh, most of people that come there now are either soliders or mercenaries... I assume you heard about invasion?'

'Demons? Oh, right.' you shake your head, remembering Samer story. 'Larnmarn is kind of under siege now, right?'

'Kind of... yeah. Every week or two, an portal appear in Drunk Ward. Demons come out, make mess, kill everyone they could and take their bodies back to portal. Dawn and poof! It disappears. This is why Council decided to set up 'War Stance'... when was last time?' he scratch his head.

'South Kingdoms invasion... Gods, almost 100 years ago, I think. They really have so much problems? There is difference between setting up merc forces and War Stance.' War Stance was pretty much setting entire town into battle mode. City Guard starts patrols, Thieves don't steal, Assassins close their buisness... everything upside down. It was probably first time in last 2000 years that anyone attacked Larnmarn directly in some kind.

'So much? Gods, they almost went tantrum becouse of it. Drunk Ward is pretty much ruined and every Ward next to it are either damaged or evacutated. They lost almost 500-600 people each attack, so yes... they have problem. Even with Council working together they can't solve this damn thing. They even considered calling Circle for help.' you whistle. Now, it was serious shit. Larnmarn was free city and putting it into nice words - they don't like Circle. And Circle don't like them. Council was one of few groups in entire Known World that could opposite Circle and wake up alive next day.

'This is why we are there. But... I'm not so sure about it anymore.' he looks at his group, now talking with Regreh and Castor and pretty much... wait, why Regreh and Sarim are hugging each other? Anyway, Garrik continue. 'I'm afraid that it isn't worth it. You seems to be person that know what is it... to command. I know it, now. Way that you scold that... Regreh. Yeah, it is same.' he chuckles when you look at him, suprised. 'I wanted to ask you, about your opinion... what I should do? Do it or go somewhere else?'

'Garrik, I don't think I'm right person to advice you things like that. I'm not commander or anything like that...' you try to get away from answer, but he presses.

'This is why I ask you. Please. What would you do in my place?'

You decide to tell Garrik that...
a) He should take this job. They are merc and they know risk, but they will get their payment for it. Job is a job.
b) He should get away from there when he can. There is difference between fighting armies and killing demons from other world. This may cost them too much.
c) You tell him that it is his decision. He is their Commander, not you. You don't want to take responsibility for their live and death.
d) You offer him... to join you. You may want to hire them and they seems to be experienced group of people, but this may force you to change your plans. Also, Garrik may want to ask about your goals and plans... so this may not be best idea. But don't tell me that I didn't give you options.
e) Freeform.

All right! I know, this was supposed to be longer update, my dear friend and players, but sadly, I was very busy and I'm sorry for that... and Regreh fucked up muuuuch of his rolls, along with other dwarfs and mercs. It may happend, sometimes! If you want to ask Garrik about something, feel free. Also, to speed up things, I make this voting short.

24 hours and we continue with update. Choosing D) may force you to change your plans. Expect Larnmarn lore after we finish this update.

Last edited:

Jester

Arbiter
Huh. I would advice him to get a wizard, or something if he wants to go with this.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
When you mention wizard he point at "flamehead" girl and man with staff next to her. 'They are my magic support. She is bard, but with magic music... Virtuozo or something. And he is pretty good wizard, but sadly... Council paid bunch of wizards already, so - yeah, they have support and still lost half thousand people each attack. Payment is high, around 15000 for each group... But many of these groups will never get it.'

asxetos

Augur
hmmm, i would go with A.
Garrik seems to be an ok guy but i dont want him on our payroll just yet. We need to consider our options first.
I guess that sooner or later we will have to check on the Demon Portal problem and we can cooperate with him if needed.

Nevill

Arcane
I am not sure 24 hours is enough time, but oh well.

Fighting demon armies in not worth it. Not without a courtesan by your side, anyway. :M

The problem is clearly bigger than the man, and he should not get involved unless he knows what he is doing... and if he turns to a complete stranger for advice, he clearly doesn't. So B. He'll thank us later.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Also, Jester, Kz3r0. :M

Ask Garrik how big the pay the Council is offering (and how - monthly? one-time payment?), and if he knows any of the mercenary outfits that have answered the call and are currently in the city.

Does the war spill in any other Wards? How long until the next portal opens (when did it open last)? What do they do once it does, evacuate the Ward? Or maybe they already did?

Last edited:

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Also, Jester, Kz3r0. :M

Ask Garrik how big the pay the Council is offering (and how - monthly? one-time payment?), and if he knows any of the mercenary outfits that have answered the call and are currently in the city.

Does the war spill in any other Wards? How long until the next portal opens (when did it open last)? What do they do once it does, evacuate the Ward? Or maybe they already did?

Payment - 15000 for each group (or if anyone are famous enough - even people) for whole mission. Once. They get 1000 at first, for buying necessary equipment. They get free supplies from city. But considering how much they can lose, this is less then Garrik expected. Mercs in City - he heard about some, but most of them are little groups under bigger companies command, for now. Or they work with Guard and look around city. List of groups most important groups:

- Bloody Larns - famous companion from Larnmarn itself. They are often seen as Council special forces, permanently hired to guard their offical business. They are 'bloody good' and they gained this kind of fame by almost never failing anyone with enough cash to pay them. They and others choosen merc groups formed kind of main force and they are pretty much only people allowed to get into Drunk Ward without some kind of special permission. How much of the around? Nobody knows, as they never give any details like that to rando people, but Garrik is sure that there is more then two thousand of them in Larnmarn right now.

- Brothers - another famous company. They have long history and in this kind of work, it is enough to make some people impressed. You remember that those guys actually fought in March... well, not them, but company existed that time and they actually was your enemies (they fought on Gods side)... so yes, it is impressive that they managed to escape from March and Rift itself, even if they managed to to so in small numbers. You also heard that they have some souless people among them. Garrik don't know anything about their role in Council plans, but he is pretty sure that they aren't there just for show.

- Xarn'arba - those guys are suprise. They are one of free companies from Tribunat, so this is pretty weird that they came there. Either they get there on their own and plan to stay or Council summoned them and Garrik bets on second thing. They have pretty skilled wizards among them and they are rumored to often take care of weird shit like that. They are very small company and all of them seems to be there, at least this is what Commander heard.

Those are three main groups that Garrik heard of. Rest of them are there just for support.

Wards around Drunk Ward are secured, but most of people around there decided to move into other Wards. Council provides them support, but those are hard times for those people. Only time when Ward other then Drunk were damaged was first attack, but that was damn chaos. Nobody expected even a thing. Portal usually shows up few minutes after dusk and last to first signs of dawn and it showed up last time... around week ago. When portal opens, mercs get ready (they actually do it everyday, few hours before dusk) and wait. There is nothing more they can do. Other wards are often evacuated, but there are some places, at borders of Wards that stay opened. Large part of them are now camps full of mercs.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Also, I almost forget about this... I know it isn't anything like map Trev get to Overlord, but I hope you don't mind.

Larnmarn Wards map:

qTGLIQJ.jpg

Plis, don't kill me.

Larnmarn - [Larnmar(long, like rrr)n] - City builded on island in the middle of Lake Darknam, around 500 years before March, captial of Kingdom of Tarum, but later it lost it's capital title to town called Varin. (Varin itself was destroyed during March, in one of most terrible battles of all in that war - fight between Circle and Avatars, later called "Falling Moon". Why? Well, mostly becouse Varin itself was destroyed by Circle spell, empowered epic Meteor. It was large enough to kill most of Avatars and destroy city itself. Yeah, this is one of main reasons why Larnmarn citizens don't like Circle. They doesn't loved people from Varin, but those still was part of their nation)

How many people live in Larmnarn? Hard to say, really. People move, come and get away without a trace and Council never cared to make any statictics or anything like that. However, Larnmarn is considered to be second largest town in entire Known World by most of sages. (right after Dragon Empire capital - Egzrom) While it's probably also most 'free' from entire Known Kingdom areas, it is filled with people of many, many groups. Merchants, whores, mercs... all of them at some point are or live there.

City itself have it's City Guard (but everyone know that it is actually organization under Council command, but still it actually... do it's job. People need to be protected from unregistered thieves, nobody like murderers - unless it is work of assassins, of course (actually, they mind too, if assassin fuck up job or kill guards. They are alowed to slash guts out of them if they are stupid enough to something too stupid. However, this almost never happend) - and unless assassins themselfs aren't interested of dealing with people like this, this is Guard job.

Also, Larnmarn have Mayor. He is one of three 'known' Council members that are allowed to speak in it's name. If you want to talk with Council, you go to them. If you want to deal with something big, you go to them. If somebody broke general rules of city and he is someone important... yeah, good job! You go to them. Who they are? Well:

- Kardim Brotheron - Captain of City Guard. He is man that make it work, rumored to be machine powered by coffee, bacon and a lot of determination. One of people with 'clean' reputation in Larnmarn, considered by many Larns as one of finest man in city. They love their Captain and would do pretty much for him, as he is fair with them and never make problems unless you make problems. Many people are still suprised by his own 'patrols' around city, without more then standard five patrol number, without any sign of his position in guard. Many new thiefs in Larnmarn learned their first lessons about rules not from Thieves Guild, but from him (and they may thanks Gods for this, as it would probably also be their last lesson.) He was trained by old Captain, Maugrim Razgernam, but after his daughter was raped (and later, after he want tantrum and get with this thing on public court, killed infront of his eyes) by... "kids" of pretty too important people in Larnmarn, he get killed by one of assassins. Same assassin, later, get contract for unknown amount of money to dispose of same people that raped Maurgim's daughter. (Who was this assassin? Well, they speak about their own, but many people claims that it was Alexander Varnemo, current master of Assassins Guild. He wasn't master back then, but in this guild, it is pretty much father-son role and he inherited it. Anyway, all of people that were confirmed to rape Maugrim daughter soon died, along with people that payed to kill Razgernam himself. This is how much people loved old Captain) For now, he is pretty much always working, becouse of demons attacks. He ever was fighting in first line during one of them, but after that he get scolded by his second in command, Regina Straser, in public... well, enough to say that he is forced to sit on his ass all time now.

- Katarina Cook - current boss of Whores Guild. Every whore, registered or not, owe her something. She pays right people to make sure girls are untouchable by anyone. (unless, of course... girl agrees and customer pays for it) She also is person that allows whores that aren't registed by Guild to work (cause if you are in any guild, you must pay membership fees, and she knows some of them do it to live another day). Besides those informations, everything around her are rumors: she is supposed to be best living whore in entire Known World, she really is love goddess reincarnation, she and Alexander Varnemo are lovers... and so on. You, as Weaver, actually meet her once, during Mayor party. She is charming half elf lady with class and a lot of contacts... and knowledge. She like you, you like her, as both of you had same experience in commanding people... but you was spy boss, she is whore boss.

- Bagnam Raggins - Mayor. Fat man with great sense of humor, likes a lot of alcohol and food and, most important... he is artist in math. Any kind of math. Even if he is Mayor, he should be rather called Guilds 'accountant'. At some point, every official guild money get through his and his clerks hands. He also takes care about most typical city things - documents, parcels, buildings... Many things. There isn't much to tell about his, besides that he loves to make party of some sort at least once in a year, sometimes two. And when he make one, Gods, it is from that kind of parties that make man wake up week later without any memory about what happend.

Well, there also is fourth one, but he isn't official contact of Council, however, most of people in Town know about him and his role in Larnmarn.

- Alexander Varnemo - leader of Assassins Guild and one of of city mysteries. To be honest, he is an living rumor. Almost everybody have ready story about who he is, how he looks like (except race. He is confirmed to be human male) and how amazing in killing people he is. Considering thing that almost everybody heard of him and nobody ever saw him in action, people have kinda warm thoughs about him... but only that. Nobody knows or at least nobody talks about his secrets... and they are wise. (many stories describe him as good man, who cares about Larns and city... and to be honest, you know it is truth. You knew little Alex... he even called you Auntie! Why?

Well, during one of Weaver mission in Larnmarn, around 25 years ago she meet man called Tamon and he asked her for little help - one night in her home. He was hiding and it was clear as mountain stream. Well, you agreed, mostly becouse you was working alone and you actually finished your mission... and that he was looking like young god, in terms of appearance. Well, it didn't go as you planned, becouse you and him were attacked by large group of assassins, somehow both of you slaughered most of them - it was Tamion that killed most of them, but he was aware of that they will come! - and after that, you sleep with him. Well, it was award, you think. You stayed in town for month, dealing with his jobs, as he was Assassins Guildmaster... and those who attacked him were traitors. Anyway, Tamon Varnemo and his son Alexander were very close to you in past, as you visited them, time to time. Alexander probably always knew that you sleep with his father, but he didn't mind... probably. Enough to say, you stoped to visit them after Alexander become assassin himself and short after that, Tamon died. You heard that he had heart attack. Anyway, you appeared on his funeral, even if you feeled that you shouldn't be there when he was placed next to his wife...

Sometimes, Alex tried to contact you, but you was rather busy with your own work and contacted him only by letters. After House destruction, you never was able to contact him again, but he probably know that you are still alive... he have his ways to know that)

'Live in City of Wonders or Larnmarn described" - Book written by Gormuk 'Getthelloutofthereyoudirtygoblin', third edition. Part About Wards.

South - one of so called 'Gate' Wards. Well, reason is simple - it is one of two wards that have gates and bridges connecting them to land. Of course, there are canals and tunels under city, but those also can be locked form inside. Both main gates are made from legendary Blue Steel, metal so rare that it is almost impossible to find it. Some people even say it didn't exist and gates itself are just magicaly changed. However, everyone know that gates have weird... features. Any hit in metal come back to anyone who hits, with much smaller force, however.

South Ward itself is one of most 'clean' wards in whole Larnmarn. Thieves almost don't come there, whores stay away from it and even Assassins seems to avoid it, for some reason. Even travelers seems to be disturbed by this area. Only a few people have shops here and those are usually are small, simple shops near main street. Most of houses are also empty, but there aren't so many in this part of city, as "Gate" Wards are places where people load and unload their carts. Thousands of warehouses are around there. Also, empty houses are often used as trade points for... not so legal goods.

Why this ward is so empty... well. People talk. Some say that it is cursed. Other say that it is smell from lake. And others... well. Some people swear that something appears in this Ward, in deep, moonless nights. Something old, maybe even older then town itself. People disappear in dark corners of South Ward... but people may disappear without trace in town like Larnmarn... right?

People that live there are either brave or mad, like most of people claims. They are often poor people that decided to take fate in their hands and live in empty houses. Sometimes witch or some sort of wizard. Maybe alchemist. Not many of them. People have respect for 'Souths', like they call them. If they live there many years, they gain even more respect.

Trade - like it's name said, it is Ward where everything happend. Trade. Source of money in city. Blood in it's veins. Heart. If South can be called empty, Trade is overpopulated. Thousands of people come, buy and sold... and almost as many guards and mercs keep looking at their hands. Even if you pay. Carts ride from there to every part of Larnmarn and inside of it.

Thousands of shops, stalls and other places where you can buy something. Almost hundred inns or taverns. And many, many people. Walking around can give you amazing offers or make you lost your money, either by buying junk or losing your bag with money. While shops can be grouped into categories, stalls... can't. You can found treasure or junk there. There also aren't many houses, excluding part of ward where important merchants have their houses, behind another walls. Not everyone can walk to that part of Ward, as guards there are mostly well paid mercs. And border of Wards, of course. Many people prefer to live next to South and Beggars Wards, then in center of Trade clusterfuck. Why? Well, many people don't like idea of living in South, but in Trade, next to it, with perfect location to rob/load/unload/steal from warehouses? Great location. Also, Beggars Ward isn't some kind of bad Ward, or something... it is called like that becouse in old times, many people would stand on streets leading to Trade and beg... and they still do it.

What you can buy there? Well, ask what you can't buy. It will be easier to answer. Wood, steel, stone, food, armor, weapons... anything, from any part of this world can be found there. Most of goods that shouldn't be there... well, just ask right people. There is only exception, however. Slavery is punishable by death... and nobody tries to pull that trick there. No slaves in this town.

Lords - ah, elite of this town. Nobles of Larnmarn, hidden in their estates, behind safe walls, armed guards, best mercs and magic. A lot of magic. Traps, alerts and golems guarding their houses are worth fortune... and with right antimagic things, they can be useless. Empty steets are clean, chariots ride there and there (for some reason, those are famous now... well, nobles and their weird shit), shops and restaurants cost fortune and everyone walking around without permission or good looking clothes... probably will get out fast.

Lords are probably first and last Ward where guards really check people at gates and by check, I mean really check them. They take their weapons unless they are bodyguards or hired mercs with right papers and any hidden weapon is asking for big trouble. Thieves usually don't try their luck with anyone there... yet, if they succeed, they may as well ask for promotion in guild. Stealing from one of estates is considered to be kind of legendary thing among Thieves Guild and people that manage to do it get either reward or if they fuck up and talk about it too much - knive in back.

While ward itself is considered to be most calm in Larnmarn, people that live there... not exacly. Power hungry, corrupted bastards aren't rare there as many of people living there managed to get their fortunes from... well, like people say 'blood and lies', but not many people care. They are important now, aren't they...? Well, not always. Those people still must be careful as Council don't tolerate any kind of opposition in Larnmarn. Also, with Guard under Brotheron command became a little more... bribe-resistant. Guards probably don't mind breaking or avoiding a few not important rules sometimes, when gold appears, but trying to break law and then laughing at their face... well. Coins may not save them.

Central/Council - Ah, sweet smell of ink and stamples... this is place where Mayor and his people do their job and also where they live. Many people consider this ward as a part of both Citadel and Lords, as many clerks both have their houses and work. Also, Mayor estate is there, so it sometimes changes itself into area of mad parties. Many people dream of legendary Mayor parties and they have their reasons. Best whores, food, drinks, presents that Mayor often offer his guest for playing in his games or riddles and other fabled things.

People usually use this Ward as an way to other Wards, but sometimes they need assistance of clerk. Maybe they want to get something legal way. Maybe they have big problems. Or just maybe they are bored enough to do that? Who knows. There aren't much other things to do there, excluding visiting one of best taverns in entire town - "Nine Cats". It is always full of many people, as everybody can get in, but everybody have one rule - everything connected to violence, stay outside. "You want to kill each other? Fine, get outside. (Where Guards can take care of you without destroing my Inn)" - as it's owner, Balhazarus, said. Bal is probably second most important man in this Ward, as he is close friend of Mayor and both of them know each other for years.

Other then that, entire Ward is filled with offices and other places where clerk can work, their houses and some nobles estates near border with Lords. Near border with Citadel - some important archives and what is interesting - one wizard tower. It is locked for ages now, as many people tried to open it's main door with everything (including bombs and magic), but it stay a mystery to this day.

Beggars - this ward have important place in Larnmarn history. This is where Revolution of Freelanders (Pretty much bunch of chaotics locals that decide to prevent themselfs and their town from falling into shithole along with whole Tarum kingdom. Later some of them created first Council) started. Even if it is poor part of town, locals remember what people from there did for them. Guards often come there, with crates full of food and clean water barrels. Thieves often recruit in this area. Everybody support Beggars how they can, but they don't spoil them. Living there is harsh, maybe even a bit more then in Outskirts.

Even when Guards patrol area, something happends each night. Someone rape local girl, somebody dies, someone disappears... things like this. People are scared and avoid newcomers. And not many newcomers even get there as they prefer to don't disappear in some dark corner.

But there is a part of ward where houses are build like towers, but one into another. Somehow, those weird things don't fall or collapse on each other and people live in them, making thier own shops or other places inside of those. Many Thieves Highways come through there. Entire ward looks like chaotic mix of styles, materials and other weird things, including temples and religions. Strange people pray to long dead gods in tunels under Beggars. Strange things happend when they scream their rituals... but Gods are dead. Who can listen to their whispers?

Circle - ah, the irony. While real Circle is hated among Larns, this name is based on old stone circle on plaza, in main part of this Ward. Circle itself is central Ward of Larnmarn, place where people live, drink and do their jobs. This is heart of social life of this town. Think of it as a city center, where everything happend. While middle class of town live there, many people traveling through Larnmarn stay there, unless they are dwarfs (dwarfs prefer their own Ward).

While most of trade happend in... well Trade ward, some famous shops are placed in Circle (I can give you list later, if you want), mostly becouse of their quality or location. While best inn also is placed in other Ward, it still can be proud of itself in that matter. Also, it's famous of many, many bards that live in 'Minstrels Alley' and many of them are considered to be best in whole Known World.

Stone Circle itself is amazing thing, absorbing every magic, from item or person while they are in middle of it. Back in time even Tarok - Emperor of Dragon Empire - visited Larnmarn to cast some poweful spells on it... and it absorbed those without much problems. Enough to say - he was impressed. (And if you wonder why Council agreed, he paid. A lot.) In the middle of Circle, statue of last Larnmarn king still looks at his town. Brian IV 'Bor', savior of Larnmarn (while it still was City-Kingdom, around 2000 years ago, while Gods didn't cared that much about politics and other shit) that died in battle with Ragnrogz (check 15 and 14 on main map of KW. First page) - barbarian people form north mountains. However, his death is rather seen as miracle today, instead of tragedy - thanks to his sacrifice, his people managed to drive enemy off.

Drunk - back in time, heart of town alcohol industry, now battlefield. Many famous breweries burned becouse of green demonic fire. While in past, it was one of main Wards, now it is almost abandoned. Nobody come there, even if they want. Council never give town orders... at least I never did that in past. Now it is off limits, for everything and everyone unless Council say otherwise. Mercs and Guards are allowed to use lethal force to drive off anyone trying to get there and they get full support from every other town organization. Thieves patrol tunels under Ward, Assassins hide in shadows and wait for anyone foolish enough to think that he may ignore orders.

Buildings not destroyed in demons attacks are now warehouses, 'towers', field hospital, barrack. Soldiers patrol whole Wards with wizards support. It seems almost impossible to get there without getting anyone attention... and nobody tries that. Even unregistered thieves don't try to broke rules this time.

Demon attack usually start with some lesser forces, always. After that - two or three larger parties move from portal and while one attack main defense lines, other try to move deeply into Ward, probably trying to get into another wards... well, for now, they didn't succeed.

Citadel - if Central is heart of political life of this town, Citadel is brain. Guard Headquarters, Assassins House and Council Citadel are placed in this ward. It is probably most guarded place in whole Larnmarn. (excluding Drunk Ward, but this is... extreme case) Citadel Ward is named after... well, not suprise there, Council Citadel - largest building in whole town, with walls even thicker then city walls itself and with enough magical shields to make it iluminate in night. Those bastards make sure they are safe when they meet, didn't they?

There are rumors in city about Council meeting itself... some people say that some of them don't even show their faces to other people in Council itself and stay hidden in magical shadows during those meetings (or don't appear at all, using ilusion messengers - kind of magical reflection that can talk, listen or move but nothing else). They don't always meet there, but this is place where they make important decisions. After demonic attack. they prefer to meet there, for safety... at least it is what officals say. Do they always meet only Council members? Nope, but when any guest appear, their identity is mistery as big as Council itself.

You may ask - Why Larns want to have Council? Becouse they give them what they want. Peace. Stability. Status quo. Freedom. All those things aren't only words in this town. Larns see kings and lords as danger for their own freedom. Merchants don't pay Gods how much fees for moving though Larnmarn territory (there are fees, of course. But those are fair... unless someone fuck with Council. Then he may be sure he will pay fortune), mercs may find other employers then kingdoms itselfs and thieves may stole without need to kill every people that could see them... Council know that it would be pointless to fight those things. Those are part of human nature... and why don't make them legal and under some control? If there must be criminality, why not make it organized criminality?

About other buildings in this Ward - there are few estates of Nobles, as part of Lords Ward. There also is famous inn, build for Guard, called 'Watchman'. For shit and giggles, people created proverb about this place "Who watch drunk Watcher? Drunk captain", as even Guard Captain(s) were often guests of this place and not always they were there to get their guards on duty...

Magic/Wizards - place where magic flow on streets around towers touching sky itself. It is enough to say bout it... what, want to hear more? Well, wizards like to keep their secrets. And I like my head too! Anyway, let's quit joking... (I'm not joking. At all) This place is filled with everything magical. Wizards, items, spells, creatures. You want to hire wizard? Buy some scrolls? Drink interesting potions? Challenge wizard on drunk spells battle? (I suggest don't do it, at least when I'm not around, please) Go there!

While half of Ward is full of shops, other is locked for anyone that didn't get invitation from one of wizards. Magical field cover towers and don't let anyone without right sigils - of course most of city organizations have them and they can go in and out whenever they want. Wizard often stay in this ward and don't get out from it unless they are forced to. Any magic user can be sure that he/she will get respect if he manage to get there and don't get killed if they want to try their chances and live there... old foxes that live there don't like newcomers trying to get into their 'club'.

Well, if you are not wizard, you can still hire one of many from there or stay there for amazing amount of shops with real magic, not some fancy junk. If you aren't interested, you can listen to wizards that sometimes decide to make little lecture in public... it often get interesting. Especially if they go into debate and they lost their temper... prehaps this is reason why there are guards with anti-magic armors around.

Thief - ah, legendary Thieves Ward. Place where you can get robbed by most experienced people on this site of Zinoth! Of course, I'm joking. Thieves Guild indeed have their place there, just nobody know where. Guard usually don't come there as Guild enforce their law there. And one of rules is 'Don't rob anyone in Thieves Ward'. Why? Well, it is kind of tradition. There always was proverb among thieves in Larnmarn - don't steal from hand that can cover your. They don't steal from their people. And it still work that way. Not many newcomers decide to stay there for long as thieves don't like too many eyes looking around...

While it is dark place, it isn't only full of people under hoods... there are some shops around and actually this is also place where most of Larnmarn food is created - many butchers and bakeries are placed there and they provide town enough food to even export it. While Lake itself almost don't have fishes in it, they still manage to export large part of their wares out of Larmarn. Power of coin, probably. And also quality.

It is also place where you can hire... specialists in many, many interesting things. Traps, locks, climbing tools and other amazing sources of items. And I don't mean only disposing of them, but also making and placing them! Most of Lords estates order their locks there. They are sure about their quality... after all, if someone know how to open something, he may know how to lock it, yes?

Dwarf - Dwarf Ward! Place where Earthkin lives in this town. If you are dwarf, go there and you will feel like in home, my friend! Oh, yes. More details.

While dwarf don't like going out of their mountains, somehow Larnmarn managed to lure large community of them into their town. And now Larns don't imagine themselfs live without them. Factories sometimes can be bad, yes. Smoke and dust is bad for lungs... but dwarfs themselfs are good for everything else. Economy. Trade. Craftsmanship. Dwarf Ward was back in time Knowledge/Temple Ward, but after Sacred March they decided to get rid of temples and fallen priests... but not libaries and knowledge. This is why they invided dwarfs. And they did miracles in those 200 years.

Working factories, smiths with quality of craft almost like in Dur-bazuk and other things among that. Funny thing, but also many writers and archivists also live there now, next to Great City Library, one of greatest libraries in whole Known World. Nobody know why dwarves decided to invite so large amount of them, but somehow it works.

Nobody know how many dwarves lives in Dwarf Ward, excluding themselfs, but they are probably 90% of citizens in that part of town. Also, they have their own Guard and voice in Council itself. Nobody know why Council ever gave them so large autonomy, but nobody cares as dwarfs work from their reputation. This is why most of Larns have respect for their own dwarfs... sometimes even some people call them Larns, even if they live there for only one their generation!

North - ah, full circle. Second "Gate" Ward is almost complete opposite of South. Full of houses and living people, almost no warehouses and clean streets. While it is the smallest Ward of Larnmarn, it is also most 'pure' of all of them. No Guilds, any important buildings, safe streets, Guard patrols and neverending river of newcomers coming inside and out. Houses and shops, inns and taverns, restaurants...

It is hard to describe this ward in other words then this what I wrote above. There is nothing here, yet there is some kind of town spirit that don't let this place go... south(!) doesn't matter what happend! I hope you will like it!

And that was last Ward of Larmarn and thus end of my book last chapter. I, Gormuk 'Getthelloutofthereyoudirtygoblin', famous explorer and writer, finally finished third edition of my guidebook...

I hope we will see each other next in my next book, "Dragon Heart - Dargon Volcano" where I will tell you about my visit in place where last great dragon sleeps!

See you soon!

Last edited:

Jester

Arbiter
B i guess.

Unless he knows someone interested into hiring bodyguards to help escape city in thief. I think anyone fighting will see Black Company style action and that is brutal slaughterhouse. Great book series by Glen Cook.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
B i guess.

Unless he knows someone interested into hiring bodyguards to help escape city in thief. I think anyone fighting will see Black Company style action and that is brutal slaughterhouse. Great book series by Glen Cook.
Black Company... Hmmm. *Looks at Glen Cook books, almost all of them in his room.* Nah, I didn't heard about it.:smug:

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
First part of Larnmarn guide is posted in map post. Writing second one right now, about Wards and Guilds. Last part will probably be rather about other important characters and kind of economy and politics.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Jesus, it was hard battle, but I finally finished Larnman Guidebook! I hope sometimes still read this thread and want to read, but update will be there soon (probably this weekend).

And of course, I made mistake above! I didn't mean myself, but my great friend Gormuk! Make sure to buy his next book and support him with your gold. Indeed, great explorer!

Violet

Literate
B It took me awhile to read all of this, but great story so far! I can't wait for more :D

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Chapter 5
Staying in shadows

You look at Commander, for a long while, thinking about your answer. You know what it mean to command people, but even there, you would think twice. Large reward... probably even largest if they would succeed and make it alive. Probably enough to retire and live a pretty nice life. But demons... you didn't heard much about those creatures. Veil that surround Zinoth make traveling between worlds problematic... at least you heard that from fellow wizards.

This is also reason why teleportation there almost didn't exist. Some wizard says that on other 'planes' or worlds, without thing as Veil, it would be easy to do. But Veil itself block teleportation on planet itself too and trying to using Gate spells may end... bad. Also, Veil is only thing that make Void monsters stay away from planet itself... and also, creatures from other planes. These demons are very weird kind of problem. It never happend, at least you didn't heard about that any creatures like that would appear in those amounts. You shake your head and let words flow.

'Garrik, I will be honest with you. I don't know a thing about this demon shit, but this is weird. Wizards can't do shit with it, other then making them burn with their magic, at least I heard so. You are experienced fellows, I believe so, but... Those aren't some bandits or soldiers. Those are creatures from other world and they slaughter Dead Gods know how much people each attack. On your place, I would throw towel by now... but it is your decision.'

Garrik looks at you, for a moment and then nods with a thoughtful expression on his face. After a moment, he smiles to you and nods again.

'Thanks you, Laizine. Whenever you will go, know that you may save my people lives. And I don't forget that. See you and may wind fly always in eyes of your enemies' he still was smiling during talk and after those words he nodded and walked away to his soldiers. Soliders themselfs were still talking with Regreh and Castor, but it seems that their attitude to each other was warmer and warmer with every minute. After Gerrik came near them, they talked with him for a while, waved to your group and start walking away. Your companions also came back to you.

'Well, girl, those aren't so bad as I was thinking. Damn, that elf is really good fella. I judged him too fast. Aye, I must meet him another time and drink a bit!' Regreh laughs and shakes his head, while Castor smiled to you and added.

'I told you, Regreh. Those are very nice people, for soldiers. Sir Sarim is also very nice. He even told us a bit more about Larmarn.' he tries to continue, but you gesture him to stop. Another gesture. They follow you, for a while, between buildings. And then you start what you promised Garrik.

'You fucking, bloody, retarded bunch of morons.' your cold voice make both of them suprised, as they look at your face. 'You fight in brawl, while we are hidding from powerful God knows who and leave trace more fucking clear then yelling on street "HEY THERE WE ARE YOU PURPLE ROBED FUCKS". I swear, if you really would be my spies, I would already had you hanged. Both of you.' your glance make them shiver, as they try to mutter something, but you don't let them. 'Next time, I will just leave you, without saying anything. Is that clear?' Another mutters. 'I asked. IS THAT CLEAR?!' you almost shout, whispering... how the hells you can shout when you whisper?

Their faces show you that they really regret, however... both of them looks like sad puppies. Damn them... you sighs and finally add. 'No, I will not leave you. But please, listen to me. Don't make me change our plans. It is hard to do organize things that way, really.'

'We are sorry, ma'am. Really.' Castor don't even look at you, ashamed. Regreh himself bite his own beard, worried. He probably wasn't scolded like that for long, long time.

'Aye... Laizine. We were fools... I mean, I was. It wasn't Castor fault. He was just forced to help me, as they saw him with me. It don't happend again, I promise.' he mutters, letting his beard go from his mouth. You nod, still angry, but not so much as before.

'Good. We are going to swim into town this night.' you lower your voice. 'We are gonna swim with people that I don't exacly trust, but I worked with them before. Don't say anything about me, don't ask stupid questions and don't even try to sneak around their ship or they will make you drown in one of these crates. Now, we are going to hide around and wait until night.'

And you did exacly as you planed....

This night was dark as devil asshole only could be. Even stars were hidden behind black clouds... and it was perfect for your plans. This isn't first time when you swim in smugglers ship. Dark nights are perfect for those jobs. Hidden in shed near little pier, you and your companions were waiting for ship to come. They were silent and excited... you don't blame them. You don't sneak into Larnmarn everyday. But you hope that this excitment won't ruin everything.

Time passes slowly as you finally see barge, slowly coming near pier. You send signal with your lattern, stolen from one of houses around and hidden under some rags to this moment. You wait a few moments and after that, you get response.

'Here we go boys. Fast and silent.' you signals them to move as you run on pier and jump on ship, after a short while of looking at ship. Everything was normal. Barnaba smiles to you from deck as you come closer.

'Good day... or rather, good night my friends. I'm happy to see you. Welcome on "Brigitta", my dear ship.' he still smiles when you jump on ship, with Regreh and Castor next to you, with their faces hidden under hoods. 'I'm Barnaba, captain.' he says to your companions and offer them handhake.

'I'm Garrok and this is Warren.' Regreh respond and shakes Barn hand, as Castor do after he finishes.

'Nice to meet captain of so fine ship.' says Castor and this makes everyone except Barnaba laugh silently. You heard how they comment their own ship, but term 'fine ship' isn't among them. Barn looks around, with 'angry' glance and silents his man. He gestures them to 'set sail' and they do it fast.

'Ah, people with manners. It is honour to help friends of Black.' you smile under hood. Black. One of your aliases. What you can do, you love black color! And clothes. And leather. Yes, leather black clothes! Anyway, Barn continues. 'I hope you will be happy with our services. If you want, go under deck and wait. It will take a while anyway. We must sail to some places first. Your destination is last one.'

You nod to them and signals them to follow you. You slowly go, first into shed. Empty room, excluding some beds on floor... it seems... but you knew where you should look to find an little trapdoor. You slowly go under deck. Lake itself, as you knew, is deep enough to make barges hide an little more then on normal river. It was bigger inside then anyone could see. Too much mud and filth in Lake itself hide it well.

You get into small corridor and then, into an little room with few chairs, table and some crates. Small lamp is secured on middle of table, to make sure it won't fall from it. You sit on one of chairs and take your pipe out of your bag. Also, pipeweed. Regreh look suprised at you and smile.

'I didn't know you smoke.' he tries to hide amazement in his voice. You flashes him a smile and lit pipeweed.

'You don't know many things about me, my dear dwarf. Anyway, I hope you don't mind that our transport is kind of... dirty. In many meanings of that word.' you shakes your head and releases some smoke from your lungs.

'It is fine, to be honest. I was in more filthy ships.' Castor chuckles and stratch his head. 'How much time it should take?'

'Around hour. They know their job. Don't worry, Castor. They should be...' you suddenly listen to steps, on corridor. From other site then you came. Somebody was trying to be silent, but he was clumsy for you. Too many years of listening to creeping spies. Probably anyone else would be suprised. You signals both of your companions to continue talk and hide behind pile of crates near entrance to room, with blade in your hand. They look at you, suprised, but do it anyway.

Kid from before slowly aim at them with two little crossbows. He seems to be nervous, even very nervous... his voice is weak.

'W-where is that bitch that was with you, you scums.' he looks at Regreh and Castor, suprised even more. Regreh try to move, but kid immediately aims at him, forcing him to sit down.

'Calm down. We don't...' Regreh try to talk, but kid disturbs him.

'Sh-ut the fu-ck up or I will shoot you in your face, m-midget. Where is that bitch? She make me a-ashamed infront of m-my c-crew. She will p-pay.' he make few steps in your direction, now standing with his back at you... and you act. Hidding your blade in scabbard, you decide to teach him a little lesson.

First, you catch his hands and fast pull them those behind his back, twisting them and make him shoot crossbows in floor. He screams as you twist his hands, but you silence him with fast kick in his back. He falls on the ground, sobbing. You hide your blade and take knive from boy shoe, throwing it on other side of room. As he tries to clawl away, you kick him again, not too hard... but still in painfull place.

'Bitch, yes? Here I'm. So you wanted to make me pay? Interesting. I remember that I only told you about be careful with those.' you take your blade out of scabbard, making kid face pale. And you cut between his legs, right into crossbow... you cut it in half. He tries to scream again, but your fast move make you place blade on his throat before he even start. 'Scream, little bird. I dare you. Now... I wonder if you know who I'm. I was woman that saved your captain kids... but you maybe didn't heard this story. But I'm pretty sure that you heard about my name.'

'I'm woman that is called Black.' you grins to him as his face become even more pale, almost white. 'I'm that woman that killed Salty Jack becouse he wanted to kill me. I'm that woman that make Fat Johanna jump from city walls. I'm woman that destroyed Cavirdalli smugglers crew.' you actually lies a bit to him. Salty Jack died by accident, becouse he fell on his own blade... kind of funny story. Fat Joha is actually your close friend, becouse you saved her live, instead of killing her and make her get away to Barbari lands... she is married to one of them now and instead of living as cartel boss, she have two kids now and spend most of her days on making cheese... and Cavirdalli's... well, this is truth, but this was official job from Council for House. You did that mission alone, under name of Black. It make you proud... tough guys to fough. They were smart and skilled in those games. But they failed. You killed both of them in close combat. But you tell him those stories as people from Outskirts tell those.

'So, you still want to get your payment?' he looks at you, with big, big eyes. He barely even dare to breath. 'No? Great. Now, get up.' you catch his hand and pull him on his legs, making him almost faint. 'You will take your toys, get away from this room and you will tell your captain that you fell from stairs. You know that is best you can do... if he finds out that you tried to kill me, you may end in one of those crates...' he looks at you, even more scared. Becouse you aren't joking. Barnaba probably would do that if he would ever learn about what happend. Not that he would do it becouse he want to... he probably would be forced too, at least in his eyes. He know your reputation too well. 'Now, go.'

Kid takes knive and crossbows... well one and an half of crossbow with him, sobbing, but fast. He disappears in corridor and runs away into some other room.

'That was... brutal.' Castor almost say this without any scold in his voice. Almost.

'I was forced to. I'm sorry. But I can afford some kid trying to telltale about me and how he almost shot me. Now he didn't tell anyone. I make sure of it.' you hide your blade and sit on your chair, cursing under nose as you try to flame pipeweed again.

'You seems to have kind of... impressive reputation there.' Regreh voice is troubled... he seems even more unsettled with his relationship with you, now.

'I have it, indeed. This is why I wasn't forced to kill that kid or tell Barn to do it. I don't want to talk about it now... maybe later.' you mutter and smoke a bit. You didn't like things like that... it was supposed to be calm journey...

Time passes fast, as you stop first time and crewmans carry crates on deck. It repeats itself second time, after more time that you spend on talking about bullshit with your companions. Finally, you Barnaba calls you on deck.

You slowly walk away, looking at tunnel under Trade Ward. Gratings are up, as always, but... something is not right. Archers stand on footbridges, above you, calm but ready to shoot. You see one of them slowly coming to an edge. Barn, however, seems calm.

'Barnaba, you old scum.' he smiles to him. You see amulet on his neck... Thieves Guild. What they do there? Is Barnaba working for them tonight? Who knows. 'Standard things?'

'Well, yep. But also three "packages".' he points at you and you know why he called you... Guild is making blockade. Weird as hell... but you realise that it is probably becouse of sieges. A bit paranoid...

'Who they are? Hey, show your faces.' thief looks at you and jumps on deck. Slowly coming closer to you, he repeats. 'Hoods up, people. Don't make me repeat myself.'

Castor and Regreh looks at you and you show them to do as he says. You pull hood from your head and look in his eyes. He almost jumps as he sees you eyes. Your companions also pull their hoods.

'Dangit, don't scare me like that! Souless... you don't see those around too much. So, people, who are you and why you use...' he coughs. 'Our dear friends instead of main gate?'

'I'm Laizine and those are Garrok and Warren. We are getting there, becouse we have private buisness. Can't afford to be seen in main gate, if you understand.' you smiles to thief and touches your ear, signaling him that you are working in 'information' buisness. He nods to you, but eyes you suspiciously. After a while, Barn touches his arm.

'Hey, leave them alone. Really, those are fair guys, I'm telling ya, I know them.' he looks at Barnaba and then at you, thinking... you try to look don't like someone who is sneak into city. Really.

'Hmm... this young guy don't look like information broker.' he come closer to Castor and scrathes his head, thinking. 'I wonder... nah. Probably... not that. Eh, come along people. Darn it, we don't have whole night!' he shakes his head and jumps on footbridge again. 'Swim, Barnaba. Swim or get away!' he chuckles as Barn order his man to swim futher into tunnel. Slowly, you reach small 'harbor', where ship finally stops. You let get away a sigh of relief from your mouth. Thanks Gods, you are there, finally. Under Trade Ward.

'It seems we are here. Well, time to pay, my dear packages.' Barn awaits for you to give him promissed gold. Two hundred coins for each one. But Regreh remember something, suddenly.

'Damn it! Our horses!' he yells and looks at you.

'Don't worry, dwarf. I sold them to get gold for our dear captain service. Thanks you, Barn.' you give him gold and smile to yourself. You don't have to told them everything, right? You don't need horses in Larnmarn... you either walk there or use cart. Anything other then that is asking for trouble from Guard or angry people.

'Aye, my dear. It was pleasure. I hope we will see each other again, this time sooner then last.' he nods to you and turns away. 'May waters always be calm under your ships.'

You pull hood on your head and your companions do same. Slowly walking towards exit, you finally reach your first goal on your journey... you are inside of City of Wonders... and Thieves, without getting anyone attention. At least anyone that isn't supposed to know.

It took two hours to finally get into Dwarf Ward. Full of smoke smoke and... well... earthkin, even in night. You heard working factories, pipes knocking in walls and people talking around. It is middle of night, but nobody cares about group of people waking around. Regreh adds something to your cover, after all. You get into one of few grocery shops near Great Library, buying few things. Also, butcher's. And shop wit clothes. Dwarf shops are always open... almost. Slowly coming around Great Library, now closed, you finally get to big tenement house, next to it. Walking trough stairs, on last floor, you finally reach it.

Behind one of brick, you found key. Great. It is in it's place. You slowly open door and turn on gas lighs. Living room, with big oak table, kitchen part in one of corners, fireplace, now empty, bookshelfs, big sofa with red leather on it, some chests and chairs... not perfect, but comfy, good and yours. You place bags with food on table and looks around.

'Well, welcome in my... well. One of my houses. Lock door behind us.' Regreh closes door. 'Feel free to look around and pick your beds. Behind doors are bathroom and sleeping room.' you point both doors on left site of room. 'Also... I hope somebody of you know how to cook.'

'I know, girl... You bought good food there, I will make some stew. Do we have wood or you use gas in those?' he looked at stove.

'Gas. Ok, great. Uh... So, I say it first... don't go out tonight. We must rest. Also... Bathroom is mine first!' you run towards door and close it before they could say anything... well. You mostly was living with people that were tricky enough to use that trick to get bathroom for themselfs. Undressing, you place your dirty clothes near little stone sink... Dwarfs are amazing. You even have damn stone tub like in dwarven baths... with hot water... that you don't need to pay for! You stole this from pipes connected to Library, actually... funny story. You also take out new clothes... simple dress, some normal, men clothes and other things. Also, something comfortable to put in under armor... damn rags. You must burn those rags. And wash your armor, tomorrow. Very thoroughly.

You pull switch and let hot water flow and slowly fill bath. Putting your blade next to it, you block door to bathroom and finally dive into hot water, smiling... Gods... how great. You let yourself relax, thinking about that year in prison... your thoughs become calmer and calmer as water flows and your body is relaxed more and more. Damn, you missed it. You missed many things and people, but hot bath... Yes, this is thing to live for... next to Hiri, of course... under her... much less important then her.

You look at water and see your reflection in it and smile to yourself. You will find her. You will make people pay...

You will fix everything.

And that was first part of Chapter 5. I hope you like it, I will finish and post rest tomorrow.

Last edited:

Violet

Literate
I am a little disappointed we did not choose Adbel as the one we saved, but I still cannot wait to meet Hiri! :P I am looking forward to the next part of chapter 5.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Good stuff. Please post the rest in a new post!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom