Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Known World - Dead Gods hear no pray (CYOA) - "frozen"

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Or if you are stupid enough to choose suicide by stupidy.
One man's stupidity is another one's MAXIMUM FUCK. :salute:

Questions? Complaints?
I think most of them will come in once we see our character options. :)

Nevill

Arcane
Well, well, how can I refuse the good old DEVOUR SOUL? :lol:
ALERT AS FUCK - Soulless adventure will be VERY hard. It is race create to see if you want to get with hardcore ruleset of gameplay.
[...]
However, some people still feared them as they have ability to suck people life force by touching them (at will) and some say, that even sucking their souls to use it as a force for more powers.
Besides, the MAXIMUM FUCK way is the only true Codexian way. Though the Way of Suck is not too far behind. :salute:

And female, of course. Because everyone knows everything is better with tits, but also because it fits, really. A soulless soul-sucking harpy. A perfect heroine.

So, 4F.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Votes are closed now... and we have heroine there! (Again, wow)
Soulless heroine will be our... heroine. Soon will add next vote and next little part for chapter 0 + some skills things.

Another little thing - Chapter 0 will be updated until we will get to point where you will finish character creation. (2 parts - class - and skills + name.)

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Uh, just fast update... I managed to one, maybe two lines in second post about knowledge. It took a short while, so don't worry, rest of update knowledge tomorrow. And skills voting too.

Kidding, added entire main continent section, including kingdoms now. Not all of them yet, but finishing them now.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
The classes on offer are somewhat split between brawny types and sneaky types. Warriors and thieves:
Veteran Fighter/Weaponmaster/Mercenary Leader and 'Looter'/Master Thief/Assassin.

Since this is a magic-heavy setting, I have to ask, where are mah mages? :)

I want to try a class that is based on Dex, Int and Cha. It probably would still be a rogue of some kind. Perhaps a bard. Someone who has no need to eat and sleep does not have to work for a living, so a more carefree lifestyle would make sense. The character would be a vagabond, not staying in a single place for too long.

And I'd like to be able to adapt ourselves to a society enough so that we could mask our soulless nature, if needed. Some things are better hidden in plain sight, and an actor stands a better chance of their weirdness being handwaved. It's not like we will be there on the next day anyway. Besides, D&D bards are known to dabble in magic. A few touches here and there and we can almost pass for a human in a dark inn... almost.

I'll come up with the stats and a backstory if anyone wants to pursue the character.

How different are we from a regular woman, appearance-wise?

Last edited:

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Since this is a magic-heavy setting, I have to ask, where are mah mages? :)

'You can't also take any magic class as soulless (DUH!) don't have soul and can't use magic.' - from class choice part of voting. :lol:

In this setting, source of most of magic powers is soul. Triangle of Existence is basic magic theory in the world, nothing can exist as normal creature without three elements: Soul, mind and body.

Body itself is everything connected to material sort of things - this is why most undeads are combination of transformed body element, destroyed ('turned off') mind and soul bonded to that body. There are also undeads with mind turned 'on' and they are preety much people they were back in time, just dead... in Dragon Empire this kind of magic is called Aeromancy (instead of Necromancy, as this is connected to normal undeads) and many mages (it is preety much magocracy) have their favourite bodyguards and servants transformed into these undeads (yeah, soul MUST want to stay in the body in Aeromancy or spell will be just fucked up. And this may be dangerous, you don't want deamon enter empty, opened for any soul body as this can end bad).

Mind is very... special and unknown in Known World, as it is this what make 'you'. Memories, thinking, experience - all of these are part of mind. Without mind, you don't think, your personality is wiped out... you aren't person anymore. Mind itself is also connected to psionic powers, but these almost don't exist in Known World (I suggest you go North if you want to find them). You will had chance to get these on basic level as a monk class, but other then that, on start... I don't think so.

Soul - ah, it is what make you exist in this setting. It is binder between soul and mind, source of live force and magical powers. You probably think 'How the fuck we live after our soul was torn away form us?' Well it is simple - First, Your soul was just sucked out, not destroyed inside of you, (like souls closer to the Rift, to become souless, you really have to be lucky bastard). Second - remember four years mentioned before, when you was monster? Well, that was time when your mind and body tried to balance that what left from you. They could fail (means you would just die), partial succeed mean you would become a monster, like most of souless that left, and like in your case - success means that you get substitute of soul, but this don't make you human again. You have your memories, your experience, but you aren't exactly same person anymore. Every souless changed after they came back to sanity, sometimes only in little things like food you like, but sometimes character of each person could be totally different.

About bard - I had bard class in plan, there even is MAGICAL bard class, but it is beyond your char as it use arcane magic with music to combine them into kind of effects (Vitruoso). It is indeed based on Int, Cha and a bit of Dex.

About souless and eating + drinking - You still can eat and drink as you feel the taste and can get drunk, but you didn't have to eat if you didn't want. This however, make regeneration of wounds much faster and is good for any souless (they feed on liveforce, but it don't make them feel 'full' in psychological mean of that word. Most of them eat becouse they had to do it all of their lives and they get used to it. But about sleep - you need to sleep at least 24 hours in a week - your metabolism is much different then humans - and if you don't do that, you will get into kind of coma for around 40 hours.

Well... but you are souless after all. You fell hunger, but not exactly that you may think of - you need to suck people out of their liveforce in order to live (sucking 10 people from some part of live energy = one person sucked to death). How much people you must suck out of liveforce to live? Well... one person sucked from entire of their energy will give you enough liveforce to don't feel hunger for two weeks. This is one of reasons why so many people see soulesses as monsters (kind of vamipres). There is skill called 'Strong Will' that will make you fell 'full' after sucking one person for longer time (three weeks), but you will have to either kill people or steal energy from 10 people - they aren't exactly harmed after that, they are weaker however (like people that donate their blood, they may feel bad for two, three days).

About class - feel free to send stats, background however isn't and option. Why? First - story of your character is important part of that how people look at you, where you have possible enemies and allies and all that kind of things. You will choose your background in skills voting (there are backgroud skills section + historical things) and after that you will get whole your character story in starting update, as well as what people in cells next to you think about... well, you. (They are potential allies and companions or enemies).

About how people can tell you are souless - they just need to look at your eyes. You don't have iris (you can however still hide it under glasses or dwarven contact lenses on special order. However, any magic user can detect you will spells called 'Search: Live, Undead or special for you: Souless'. You can hide live force as well as undead part (you aren't exactly any of them) with right spell (people can cast spells on you, you can still use magical items and et cetera), but on Search: Souless (or soulless - both versions are correct) they will detect you as it is special spell. Other then that - a bit pale skin, but nothing special enough to make people figure out who you are at first glance.

EDIT: I almost forget, dang. As souless you are immune to some insta-kill spells from arcane magic (Like Touch of Dead or Word of Order - Die), but this isn't something that your char know, but you do. :D

Also, sucking people whole live energy in amount higher then one in these two weeks can unlock soulless powers. What they do? Well, some give you ability to really suck someone soul and place it inside of your subconsciousness... what it can do there and what you can do with it? Well... find out yourself. Also it is same thing with other abilites - find them out yourself.

How you suck out liveforce - You must touch victim skin and you can start doing it. It can take around 5-10 minutes (sucking harmless part of their energy) or 10-30 minutes. (Sucking all of it). This depends where you start to steal energy (neck and parts around heart will make it faster, while legs and hands will make it much longer). Victim feel that something is stealing it's liveforce and they can protect themselfs so I suggest knocking them out first or aim on heart or neck (neck with both hands, like when you strangle someone) as it have chance to make them faint.

Using soulless powers cost you soul points (these aren't hunger points, that disappear after two weeks as you consume them with liveforce). They stack each time you suck someone above this necessary number one. They will be displayed in character sheet. (Hunger points also appear there)

Last edited:

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
By the way, some classes will be added, but feel free to change votes later (as voting don't started yet, but you will have more time to think about it). Rest of classes will be added today.

(I also suggest to start reading second post in thread as I will aim to finish it before starting real game)

Jester

Arbiter
Weaponmaster, Master Thief, Mercenary Leader, Assassin - sounds nice for me.

Somewhat going for ninja master would be fun. Master thief into Assassin i think.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
I will add two classes that you may like, Jester.
One is Agent, class based o infiltration and getting information and second is Spymaster: combined assassin and agent, good in getting information and killing people but on much lower levels then any of those classes. There will be also Bard and some other classes.

Nevill

Arcane
'You can't also take any magic class as soulless (DUH!) don't have soul and can't use magic.' - from class choice part of voting. :lol:
Duh indeed. :lol:

Right, no magic then.

Bard.
Str: 3/15 Dex: 8/15 Con: 4/15
Int: 6/15 Wis: 4/15 Cha: 8/15

Equipment: Light Armor, a shiv (an easily concealable weapon), a lute, an assortment of poisons and drugs, a few magical trinkets that you have 'borrowed' as mementos from your victims, 300 gold coins.

Base class: Thief? - You have been called a bard, a rogue, an actress, a vagabond - it is all the same to you. You are finding life easier when you are constantly on the road. You fall in with traveling troops from time to time, but never for long enough that they recognize you for what you are. You natural charms make you quite good at manipulating others to fulfill your whims. Whenever you get hungry, you just slip into the first inn, find yourself a bloke, get him drunk, 'invite' him to a room, then knock him off and feed. Usually the guy wakes up none the wiser the next morning, not remembering what he did to get a hangover like that. It all goes rather smooth and no one ever suspects anything, - especially so since you rarely visits the same place twice, - and you blend in perfectly... unless you run into a mage, then you have to get creative.

Last time you did, the guy raised quite a ruckus, so you tried to silence him. Didn't even have time to check if he was dead or alive before you had to flee the city in a hurry. You were still on the run when you got captured by some strange people. At first, you thought that one of your former 'clients' finally caught up with you, but now you understand that this wasn't quite the case...

SPECIAL - you get massive bonuses to Lore, since you have seen most of the Known World on your travels; knowledge of medicine, alchemy and chemistry; a few connections with the less respectable parts of society in the cities and on the road (fellow bards, traveling circuses, thieves, fencers, barmen - the ilk you'd expect a character like that to know).
A diplomatic character who is good at making others do her work and slipping away unnoticed whenever things get hot. A rare case of a sociable vampire, err, Soulless.

Last edited:

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Ok, guys. You have 3 days for voting, as I will go to wild regions (for two days, to rest a bit) and after I come back, we will start last voting in game.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Ok, let's see the votes, finally.
1 - Spymaster/Bard
2 - Assassin.
3 - Bard
4 Looter > LW Agent
5 Spymaster > Bard

I seems that we have winner... Spymaster have two strong votes, but bard have 3 of them. I think it will be Bard, unless someone want to change vote. You have 3 hours for that.

Nevill

Arcane
I might be biased, as someone who created one of those, but they both seem to have good hooks for the future. A mysterious man who betrayed your organization that you have to hunt down no matter the cost, and a man who knows your terrible secret that you might have to deal with one way or the other. Any of those can provide some sweet, sweet game over material. :lol:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Not that it has a chance of winning

Assassin

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom