Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Known World - Dead Gods hear no pray (CYOA) - "frozen"

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
There was a tie. :M

But it's not like there are complaints, so all is fine.

Uh oh. Fuck me, I was sure there was more C. Well, shit, I hope nobody is sad with that choice. Well, you actually get more from it, so I think it was your luck... Yeah, note to self - check tally twice. Always. :lol:

asxetos

Augur
I think we should work on both ends. Main plan as Nevill suggests should be to get the dwarves to shake the Wizard Tower and backup plan should be to get access to the sewer Anchor.

Both of these plans require the dwarves and we should get a hold of Regeh ASAP.
Is it feasible to gather dwarf mechanics and miners plus the resources they need (tools and explosives) in the first hour?
We should set our squad on it plus we should go and personally ask the Goban-Tar veteran for assistance.
Also ask the wizards in the squad what they know about the shield that surrounds the tower. Maybe it has a weak point or another way to get inside.
Tell Falr to send word to the council that shit is going down really soon. Area around the Wizard Tower should be evacuated and Guards and Mercs should be on high alert and ready to make a good defense around the portal to buy as any extra time we might need.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
and backup plan should be to get access to the sewer Anchor.
It crossed my mind, but what are we going to do with it?

Both of these plans require the dwarves and we should get a hold of Regeh ASAP.
We do have a standing among the dwarves, too, though we would have to disclose our name/identity to the whole Ward. Alternatively, the Council can contact them, seeing how they have a vote in it, there have to be some contact lines.

Regreh should be faster, though, assuming we can get a lot of people to search for him.

Also ask the wizards in the squad what they know about the shield that surrounds the tower. Maybe it has a weak point or another way to get inside.
Yeah, a wizard needs to be contracted for that job. But we wouldn't be the codexers if we don't equip the Ring!

Tell Falr to send word to the council that shit is going down really soon.
Sadly, the Council is not a single entity anymore. Falr should be our contact in the Council as usual, discourage their paranoia to the best of his abilities, and try to get them to respond, but we should be prepared that Alexander is the only man we can work with.

You wish Larnmarn was governed by dictatorship in times like these. :M

asxetos

Augur
It crossed my mind, but what are we going to do with it?
If the dwarves clear a path, Castor can diffuse it and buy us some extra time. At least I think Karwelas mentioned the bit about the extra time somewhere.

We do have a standing among the dwarves, too, though we would have to disclose our name/identity to the whole Ward. Alternatively, the Council can contact them, seeing how they have a vote in it, there have to be some contact lines.
It would take too long for the council to contact them so i dont think we should rely on that alone. Plus the veteran shop-keeper already knows about us and i believe he is well-connected.
Between Regeh (squad should be looking for him), Veteran (contacted by us) and Councilman (alerted by Falr) i think we can have a satisfactory outcome on that front.

Regreh should be faster, though, assuming we can get a lot of people to search for him.
Agree. Maybe Falr can help on that front too? I suspect the council is keeping a close eye on us and Regeh.

Yeah, a wizard needs to be contracted for that job. But we wouldn't be the codexers if we don't equip the Ring!
ofc we should use the ring :D we have all that extra juice too. It wont take us too much time to contact the veteran and come back to study the tower a bit.

Sadly, the Council is not a single entity anymore. Falr should be our contact in the Council as usual, discourage their paranoia to the best of his abilities, and try to get them to respond, but we should be prepared that Alexander is the only man we can work with.

But i think Falr is the dictator as far as every involved officer in the vicinity is concerned. What i meant is for him to send word to the council and then get to personally handle the rally of the defense and probably delegate the evacuation.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Is it feasible to gather dwarf mechanics and miners plus the resources they need (tools and explosives) in the first hour?
We should set our squad on it plus we should go and personally ask the Goban-Tar veteran for assistance.

Depends, but it may be really hard to get. If you manage to contact dwarf mayor (it may be hard becouse of chaos), he probably will be more then happy to give you everything what he can. Dwarfs hates demons, really. Goban-Tar Veteran probably also may help get you some equipment, but I you can't be sure if he have access to things heavy enough to make tower fall. But he can probably get you some dwarf forces.
Those that make it alive probably will be more then happy to help... unless someone don't slaughter them accussing them that they are traitors if thing about what happend spread.

Tell Falr to send word to the council that shit is going down really soon.

Sadly, Nev may be right. They are either trying to gather informations about what the fuck is going on or work to protect their Wards. They probably have no idea about that portal will open in three hours. Main forces near portal and commanders around there probably know, Castor should told them already, but they can't afford to send any big forces anywhere. As far as you understand, if portal opens, they will have to fight all time to don't let demons spread around city. Alex may be only man that can help you right now. But it may also be worth to try send Falr somewhere else too. (but you are sure that he can't meet everyone in three hours)

Heh, it is kind of dictatorship. Just multiple dictators.

If the dwarves clear a path, Castor can diffuse it and buy us some extra time. At least I think Karwelas mentioned the bit about the extra time somewhere.

Agree. Maybe Falr can help on that front too? I suspect the council is keeping a close eye on us and Regeh.

It wont take us too much time to contact the veteran and come back to study the tower a bit.

But i think Falr is the dictator as far as every involved officer in the vicinity is concerned. What i meant is for him to send word to the council and then get to personally handle the rally of the defense and probably delegate the evacuation.

That is true, if you manage to get to it, you may stop them for a some more time. You can also ask for Circle help, or even better, ask Alexander to send for help. It may take some time for them to get message, but when they will understand what happend, they will come. (at least some of Circle members will. They don't want war with demons, you are sure of it)

As far as you know, Falr is there to help you, not keep eye at you. If there are any agents that observe your movements (and you are pretty sure there are), they are hidden and stay out of sight. Or, after what happend, they try to get back to Council members they work for.

Yes, contacting dwarves, if you know which one, should take less then 20 minutes. Of course, if you want more then that only dwarf, you will have to wait.

Falr is well known among guard and if he will show some people his badge with Council symbol, most of them should listen to him. Even better if you will have Alex with you there, everybody will listen to him... probably. But as far as you will make Falr say that he works becouse of Council orders, most of Larns will follow him/you.

Nevill

Arcane
I'll try to compose something tomorrow and lay it out for possible additions/corrections.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Wait, did I hear that right? Do we have the means to contact the Circle?

Anyway, drafting the plan.

Weaver is sure that Council have messages ready to send right away if they didn't did that yet. Alexander is friend of Count Zabadon so even if they don't contact Circle by official ways, he will ask for help if situation will be really fucked up. Damn, you are sure that there are Circle agents around, looking at that what happened and ready to send reports. Council also probably warned them about demons right after Castor told them what they really want to do.

It is like that - Council don't like Circle and vice versa, because their goals are often different. Both are other parties in Game, but they aren't stupid or mad. They won't risk demon invasion at planet for sake of their own games. For now, Council probably didn't wanted to to show any weakness to their people, but if they will learn about that portal may activate... Well, you can be sure that at least some Circle members will come to aid you (either officially or by personal means) You can always ask Alexander about that if they send those messages.

Also, even if you succeed you may be sure that situation in town will be... chaotic as fuck. Betrayal of one of Council members will be impossible to hide and for few months entire city may be paralysed. Probably political fight between guilds will really be a thing.

Nevill

Arcane
Ok, so, the plan.

Primary goal - destroy the main anchor before the portal activates. In case of emergency we might have to destroy it after the portal opens.
Secondary goal - destroy the auxillary anchor to either buy more time for the primary goal, or delay the invasion by making the area around the portal harder to traverse.

Go contact the shoopkeeper in the Dwarven ward. Warn him of the situation and enlist his help and his connections. Dwarves can not be compromised by demons, so you can depend on them. You need explosives and their mechanical expertise. If they excel at construction work and build anti-earthquake devices, they know more than anyone about what it takes to topple a building. Have them grab anyone who has the necessary expertise and requisite whatever they need anywhere in the city, and send them to the Wizard Ward.

Your squad should help with informing the dwarven townsfolk (even if they have to walk the streats shouting 'Hear ye! Hear ye!'), contacting the right people, searching for Regreh and informing him of what happened and what we need (if we need someone in charge that we can trust), or just grabbing the resourses. Task them with anything that requires numbers.

Immediately after head to the Wizard Ward to evaluate the situation. Grab the wizards from the squads and a few soldiers assassins to keep an eye on them - you might need their expertise on what is happening in the Ward and what kind of field is in effect. Don't threaten them directly, but make it clear that their chances of living through this would be much higher if they cooperate. I think there are tough days ahead for wizards in Larnmarn, now that the head of their guild is complicit in treason. If I learned anything about how the city works, somehow I doubt good Larns will be very understanding of that.

Send Natrila to Alexander. Not only because she is his confidante, but because he might appreciate it if his girlfriend isn't anywhere near a nuclear bomb. Give him the full report, including Castor's message, so that he knows what we are dealing with and our time limits. Have him try and organize the Counsil. In a moment of uncertainty people tend to follow the one who behaves as if he knows what he is doing. I want him to try and contact the Circle, and I want him to direct a few siege weapons or something that could help against the Wizard's tower our way. Don't take too much or any forces from the Drunk Ward, though - we'll need them if there is an invasion. Try to limit yourselves to what you find in the neighbouring wards - I think there are 2000 people there, and they are closer to the Wizard's Ward.

We want Alex in control over the situation, if only to get anything we might need for plan's success.

In the Wizard Ward, take command of the forces there through Falr. Or rather, be his advisor. The forces won't listen to you, but would obey the Council's representative.

I assume the local forces are trying to bypass the tower's security measures. Keep doing so, if only to distract the enemy from plan B that is supposed to take them unawares.

Current plan B it to try and topple/damage the building by attacking its foundation. It can be done from the tunnels below, if there are any; directly from the ground; by siege weapons, or by dropping another tower as a method of payload delivery. Look at what's available.

Use your rings to see if there are any structural weaknesses in the building, or something that helps bypass the field. Use the expertise of wizards and dwarves to find out the details.

Use them to see what is normally unseen by others. If they can tell us where the external 'helpers' are (the wizards working against us), good enough. As long as they do something useful.

There should be a lot of soldiers in the ward now, but not a lot of ways to use them as assaulting the field proves fruitless. See if you can use them in other ways. Try to evacuate the Ward. Try to set up a simple friend-or-foe system. Any wizard (or perhaps anyone) who is not working with the local the militia and didn't leave after half an hour is considered an enemy and is marked for elimination, just like that. That should reduce the number of external 'helpers', if there are any, and partially solve the problem Castor was talking about (we don't know who is working with us - assume that anyone who isn't, and who doesn't follow your orders is working against you).

Try to keep your eyes peeled for Circle agents if you can. There is no way there aren't any in Larnmarn, and there is no way they missed an explosion that rocked half the city. Someone must be there. If you can, identify them (maybe the rings could help) and ask them if any of the archmages are around and how fast they can get here. See if you can't use whatever rapport you may have with them (if you ever did) to broker a deal, or direct them to Alex. We need big guns.

I get this strange feeling that Masked could be around. This demonic invasion is too interesting and too close, and he must have known Castor's identity. I doubt he would pass up a chance to look at one of the most interesting events in the last 50 years, if Samer's account is to be believed. Perhaps the rings would help us find him, too, but I am not hung on that.

Send out Avian to check the Drunk Ward and maybe find Castor. He can only be in two places - in the Drunk Ward, preparing for the invasion, or in the Wizard Ward, coordinating the attack. See if he has any insights in the situation. In any case, have the forces in the Drunk ward try to get to the anchor below and blow it up. Not that we have much to lose from attempting everything at that moment.

REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE NOT A FOOTSOLDIER, nor you are a commander. You are not the one to storm inside the tower, and you are not there to fight anyone. Your role is one of a spy - to find weaknesses to exploit and direct the forces if there is a breach in enemy defences. If it looks like a plan could/would succeed, grab your team and whoever you care about and GTFO on the double before it does! We DON'T want to be there when the anchor explodes, we want to be safely away, preferably FAR away.

Any additions, Codex?

Damn, you are sure that there are Circle agents around, looking at that what happened and ready to send reports.
Didn't read that, but came to the same conclusion. They can't not be interested in what's happening. It would be nice if any of the archmages were around, too, but that's a bit too much to hope for.

Betrayal of one of Council members will be impossible to hide and for few months entire city may be paralysed.
I want to make sure that Alex comes on top, and handle the situation in a way that is beneficial for him. We could use friendlies at the top. Taking charge of Larnmarn defence would be a good step towards that. People tend to remember that.

Also, he is the head of the Assassins Guild. Chances are he can off whoever doesn't comply.

Larnmarn could really use being ruled by a single governor. :M

Addition:
- Establish a 'connection line' with Alex, so that if you wanted something or if he wanted something to tell you, the message would reach the recipient fast. It could be a certain command center set up somewhere in the vicinity, a carrier-pigeon... something. If we can find Castor, he might be used as a coordination tool.

- Obvious, but still - try searching for a way to disable the field. We are going to the center of the events to do anything that could help us achieve the stated goal.

Last edited:

asxetos

Augur
I knew i could trust Nevill with the plan :)
I believe it covers everything to the max of our abilities, so +1 from me.

Jester

Arbiter
Karwelas
I wonder if there is any underground plumbing system, or something like that under city. There is that water thing under portal is it part of bigger system?

Nevill
If there is we might get there, go under Wizard bringing explosives, bum our way inside tower and sabotage the anti-earthquake protection. This should decrease amount of explosives necessary to destabilise anchor. Not sure if we can organise enough explosives without sabotage in 3h. On bright side most of enemy forces probably will be concentrated on protecting spell shield, anchor and existing entry points with loyal wizards close, so points we are interested in will be less guarded. Anchor destabilisation can take many opponents without risks to city forces. Dwarfs probably have sappers and plans of this installation as most likely builders. Thief's and smugglers might have routes to get thing into ward unnoticed to.

Ok i going to bed. See you tomorrow.

Nevill

Arcane
If there is we might get there, go under Wizard bringing explosives, bum our way inside tower and sabotage the anti-earthquake protection.
Yes, this is covered. We take the dwarves and seek for the weak points. If we can get under the building, sure.

On bright side most of enemy forces probably will be concentrated on protecting spell shield, anchor and existing entry points with loyal wizards close, so points we are interested in will be less guarded.
Should be covered as well, distraction is on the list of militia's tasks.

Anchor destabilisation can take many opponents without risks to city forces.
The explosion would likely wipe out everyone who is nearby, friend and enemy alike.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Update should appear on monday... at least is should be ready before that. Updates will probably appear more often, as after a bit of talk with some people, I decided to make them shorter, a bit like treave do. Maybe those are really too long for amount of action you choose during those.

Also, I'm working on some other project, related to Known World, but not exactly connected to your main plot (Weaver). It also won't appear on Codex itself, but you may feel free to join if you will really want, I will send link there or PM it to you. Does it mean that Dead Gods will be abandoned? No, not at all. It is actually part of my plan to show people some both our Codexian CYOAs (well, I'm not exactly best person to do it, but I want rather to ask both treave and Fangshi if I can post link to their threads on short recommendation list with best Codex CYOAs)

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Chapter 3
About towers, dwarves and wizards

This entire thing started to looks like spy nightmare. You don't really blame yourself for that decision, but... well. Let's just say you could just already finish your business with Kaizoku long ago and get the hell out of there. Pulling Avian and Natrila, you quickly tell them what you learned. Their faces pales a bit as they realize that entire town has been betrayed by one of Council members.

'Fuck... This is bad. And you say that wizards in Drunk started another battle... fuck, fuck, fuck. Entire town was filled with wizards, but this shit is bad now.' Avian mutters to himself. 'We must damn act.'

'I know that well enough and you are gonna help me with that now. I have a plan, but we don't have much time, three hours, like I said. I'm going to get help from dwarves, when they will learn what wizards pulled out of their ass, it may get unplesant so it is better to get them now. You will send part of your squad to Dwarf Ward with me, I need their help. Make them inform dwarves about wizards and that we need their help. Every damn dwarf, even if it mean shouting it on streets. Try to find someone with access to powerful explosives and anyone with any knowledge about Great Wizard tower. We are gonna blow the fuck out of it, if we can. Also, if anyone know anything about damn anti-earthquake machines, you are gonna get their asses here even if it mean using force.' you takes a deep breath as they look at you, shocked, but focused. 'We also need to find Regreh, try to do it. If we want fast and clear communication with dwarfes, we will need one.'

'What about me?' Natrila looks at you, trying to bandage Avian hand.

'I will need you to get back to Alex. You will inform him about everything that we know. We need damn Council to act... at least try to do it. If he can't do it, then make him organize that what left from it. Anyone he can trust with this damn town fate. Tell him to send us some weapons and forces there, something with not damn Drunk, but next to it. Some siege weapons and few squads of armed people... WITHOUT WIZARDS.' you finish your sentence as she finish patching up Avian and nods to you, waiting for any other order, but you only nod back to her and she rushes between streets, to Assassins House. You turn your head back at Avian, already picking up soldiers and screaming orders to them. Some of them are clever enough to gather small parts of squads that can still act and rushes to Dwarf Ward. 'I need you and rest of your people in Wizard. Tell some assassins to keep their eyes on wizards from your squad. Tell them about their situation, but don't threaten them. Just reminder them that they will have some problems when people will learn that about their Guildmaster deeds. And they will. Send someone to find Falr, he is in Beggars, at least should be on his way there right now.'

'Anything else we should do in Wizard, excluding looking at that damn field?' he hold his hand again. 'Aght! Damn it, I hope that isn't bone or I'm out of fight.'

'In meantime, when I will take care of things in Dwarf, take anyone from our forces that appeared around there or Wizard and start evacuating damn Ward. Anyone who isn't member of Guard or merc forces of town, out. If anyone don't get out of there in less then 30 minutes, he will be terminated as potential demon or wizard spy.' you frowns as Avian looks at you, shocked. 'I'm serious there. Kill them if they don't get the hell out of there. Also, try to find Castor.' you finish your speech and almost start your race with time, but Avian stops you.

'What if we find any wizards that fight between each other or anything like this? Or don't work along with your orders?' he looks at you, but from way he looks at you... well, it is enough to say he already knows the answer. You respond only with nod and he grins.

When you run into Dwarf Ward, you already see some of people from squad, screaming about demons attack and wizards deed. Some of them do their job, as some dwarves already either take their weapons or run around, screaming in dwarven about getting armed, but some parts of Ward seems... too silent. You run on plaza near Town Library when you see one of squads, fighting with some wizards on middle of it. You can't afford to try to help them, but it seems that you lost some of soilders there... however, when you run on other streets, you see some dwarves charging at wizards... you grins to yourself as you disappear behind the corner.

After a while, you finally get to place that you wanted to visit. Shop of your "comrade" from Goban-Tar. You rush inside, taking deep breaths... damn, you really need to rest for a second. Old dwarf looks at you, surprised, with crossbow in his hands.

'What the hells is happening in this cursed town? I heard that someone is fighting on plaza nearby, but nobody know what the fuck is this about... I heard some explosion that sound damn too loud for normal surface explosives. Care to explain?' he eyes you, but he don't aim at you with his crossbow. Good...

'We have fucking demonic invasion coming, old man. And I mean main one, but that isn't most important. We have been fooled by Great Wizard all along, he is working for demons and have only thing that can save our asses in his tower, now also behind magical field that we must penetrate in... three hours. Or even better, destroy entire tower with this motherfucker inside.' as you talk, dwarf face become more and more flushed. When you finish, he burst with anger and screams.

'KARAK BARDUI! TARON LERAK ZARAK! VAAARAAAN!!!' (Cursed traitor! May God fuck him! Betrayal!) he almost throw his crossbow as he rushes to wall and pick up... horn? Yes, it seems that he picks up horn from wall. 'Follow me, we are going to call everyone!'

'I don't have time for this, damn it! Listen, we are gonna need explosives and someone who can plant them, we need to get into that Tower or get it destroyed with anything inside. Also, find someone who can have knowledge about anything with anti-earthquake devices of your, they may have some in tower. If you can get any dwarf that can help either us in Wizard with other things, also send them there and order them to meet with man calling himself Avian. He will know what to do.' After a while of thinking, you add. 'And... don't kill every wizard you see, just those that attack you. Not all of them work for demons.'

Dwarf laughs as he put crossbow in some sort of sheath. 'Don't worry, my comrade. Today, dwarf kin will fucking support you with all we have around there. Just give me some time and you will get anything you need... but I don't know if we will be able to get those explosives in three hours... we have those in South Ward. At least those most powerful. You know, gas pipes don't mix well with explosions.' he get to door with horn in his hands and let you go on street first. 'Also, my name is Darder. If we don't meet anymore, it was pleasure to serve with you on that damn mountain. As it will be in this town!'

He starts running as he scream in dwarven and blow his horn. More and more dwarves appear in windows suprised and disappear almost as fast as they show up. You hear more and more screams as armed units of dwarven milita slaughter wizards on same plaza you was before...

Yes, it is time to give those fucker a payment.

You run between streets, hidding from any signs of fight between wizards and dwarfs... you wonder how many wizards are truly fighting with everyone else on streets... you know they didn't stand a chance. Prehaps Great Wizard promised them flying mountains of gold, you chuckles to yourself in your mind. Foolish move. You wonder if this was preplaned... probably. They couldn't predict where you will send your squad... unless they wanted to blow them up with purpose. Either way, they have problems now, as you do. Most of wizards will die. Also, many dwarves seems to join you on street, running either behind or disappearing on other streers.

You finally get to gates of Wizard Ward and you look inside with shock on your face. Massive groups of dwarves are coming from either gate or other ways. All of them are either armored with some kind of melee or ranged weapon. Sometimes you even see dwarves suggesting that you may have small squad of berserkers around, holy fuck. It seems that either squads or Darder do better job then you expected. You quickly push between dwarves to reach point where most of forces gather, hidden behind some buildings. And you see person that you didn't expected to see there. Alexander talks with Avian and give orders around. Some more assassins then before are around... also, almost everyone disappeared. Ward seems to be evacuated. You smell something that reminds you of burned meat and when you come closer, you see that some people from Alex personal guard are hurt.

'Alexander, what the fuck are you doing there?' your scolding tone don't seems appropriate, but hey, old habits. He turns to you and smile, but it is poor smile.

'Doing what you asked me to do... Good job with dwarves. I don't know what you did, but we have dwarf army around there. I send most of them to Drunk, they will need good help there.' as you almost slap him in face, he quickly adds. 'Weaver, I know what you asked me to do, but... we don't have Council anymore. Wizards attacked some of Guilds in their own Houses, damn it. I know that we lost almost half of Council, don't ask me how. Some of them were smart enough to don't wizards inside and managed to escape. I know that old geezer thief is gone, Cook may be dead. Mayor is missing half of face and entire hand, I don't know if he will make it. I managed to kill those bastard before they attacked and Kardim is coming there, but he knows nothing yet. I warned him about attack and he managed to slip from those bastards trap. Others... either missing or escaped. Well, except one.' he points at tower and spit on street. 'I managed to get some siege weapons and already tried to shoot down that field...' he sighs and calls one of his personal guard members with gesture.

Voice of that person is muted a bit, as he hides his face behind some sort of cloth mask. 'We tried to examine shield, my lady, but it will take some time. Tower is there for ages and shields are work of more then one archmage that lived there. They always correct something or add new effect each time somebody is choosen to live inside... kind of tradition.'

'So I assume that it will take more time then... two hours?' you look at Alex and he shurg one shoulder. Simple code - trusted.

'Two hours?' he looks at you, suprised. 'It will take at least day or maybe even more.'

Day?! You don't have that much time... 'Alexander, you send for Castor?'

'Yes, he is busy with preparing people in Drunk, but he should come there soon.' he turns to group of people waiting for another order. 'Ask dwarves forces what they need and provide it! Also, Gerson, take some of your people and send them to Circle Ward. We have some problems with wizards near gates around there, you take care of that! Avian, you get those people ready and create safe supplies road from South. We really will need those explosives.'

'Right, on it.' Avian salue and soon disappears between dwarves and other soldiers.

'Good. Oh, look who comes.' you point at group of Guard that escort person with helmet on his head. Kardim. He slowly get into "camp" and pull helmet from his head.

'Damn it, Varnemo, you saved my and my guard asses there. Fucking motherfuckers almost get me.' he laughs and touches Alexander arm. His expression quickly changes however. 'I heard that Mayor was attacked... it isn't only about me and you, right?'

'It is safe to assume that we may be only living members of Council.' he whispers and calls same guard member that responded you. 'Make this area safe for talking.'

Man nods and whisper something, waving his hands... wizard? Huh, you heard about that sometimes wizards serve as assassins, but never something about them in personal guard of Alexander family. After few seconds some sort of force field appear around you, guard, Kardim and Alexander, but to be honest, you see it only becouse of years of field work. It is transparent.

'Now.' Alexander points at tower. 'We have traitor among us. That bearded bastard fucked us all along, he is working for demons. As far as we know, he have only thing that keep that portal open inside of his tower and we plan to bomb it. Field may be too powerful to force.'

It takes a while of talking, as Kardim have many question. He seems to be calm, but you see that he is doing only becouse his experience. If it would be possible, he would probably charge this field himself. When he finally know everyone he want to know, he screams more orders then you could ever remember. Members of Guard disappear and appear when Alex and Kardim learn more and more about situation in city. In meantime, you decide to look around with those rings of yours around... you ask one of assassins to come with you and put other ring on his finger...

You almost scream when lights hit your eyes, almost blinding you for a while. Damn, so this is how world can look... you see fields of magic around you, people casting spells, mostly wizards under careful observation of assassins or assassins themselfs. You look around for a while, searching any Circle agents or anything that could point at weak part of field around Tower... nothing. It looks like field created from more fields... you aren't mage and you can't even understand how this work, but you are sure - it isn't weak... something however seems not right... on the highest point of tower you see holes, slowly opening... something is shining inside. You quickly reach Alexander and ask him about Tower.

'Huh... Oh, fuck! Order everyone to get away from tower! Behind buildings, quick! Before they start shooting!' he scream orders as people around moves, first slowly and then start to move faster... however, not fast enough. Seeing how people try to get away from tower range, roof opens, revealing some kind of obelisk on the top of it... it start shooting with some kind of magic spears that explode when they hit ground!

You lost some more forces before all of those are far enough to don't be targets... it will be hard to get close now. Anyway, you don't find anything else then that, but you are proud. You saved some of your forces from slaughter. After some time, Castor and Falr come... damn, they were fighting, too. Castor have small wound on his head and Falr looks like he was running through some field of fire. You quickly tell them about your plan and they agree. Also, Castor is more then happy to say that he already send some forces to take care about anchor under Drunk. Good, somebody think there. After that, both of them get back to Drunk Ward, as you don't need Falr there, with two Council members with you right now. Dwarfs manage to get planes of tunnels under Wizard and find tunnel nearby, but to get close enough to Tower, they must dig. On surface, they also will be forced to dig, as they can't just explode it above ground. It wouldn't work. You ask how much time it will take, but they only shake their heads and shrugs.

'Maybe six hours? We don't know, those are old streets, older then your human town. Tough and hard to dig.'

How much time left? - you ask yourself when first carts with explosives come... and then, you get your response. Sky above Tower explodes, as it release purple light. It sounds like someone would rub glass with glass... terrible sound. You quickly get another message from Castor, short and simple.

'So it begins. My forces under ward have problems, many of them. Lost large force. I don't know for how much time we can stop them from getting to other wards, but we still have chance as long as they don't get to Wizard and Tower. Blow the hell out of it.'

Well, thanks, Castor. You sit around, helping whoever may need your help, as you hear some kind of whisper in your head... something almost take control of you, as you head to house nearby. It is opened. As soon as you get inside, you see two persons.

Persons you already know.

'Hello, Weaver.' Masked chuckles under his hood... you could predict that he will be around there. Either Circle would send him there, or he is there on his own. After all, it may be most important thing that happend in last 50 years. And he missed many other events. 'I see you was busy around there.'

'Yes... kind of.' you look at Masked, puzzled. 'So you are around here, but why you called me there?'

'Oh, I have proposition for you, my dear. I know what is inside that tower, after all, I know everything that our friend... or prehaps, I should say - friends, know. You want to blow it up... not easy thing to do, I must say. Great Wizard tower isn't some sort of building that just stand around. It was home for many, many powerful people and they wanted to be safe inside of it. I don't say that your plan will fail, but... you can't exactly afford it to fail, didn't you?'

'As you can't.' you frowns.

'Well... true. We can't let those demons to get there. Some of my... friends, will appear there soon. But I offer you something that won't bring more problems on this town. They may want payment that... well, maybe Alexander will be forced to give away city for city safety. Or they will just gather forces and blow it up along with portal. Or siege it.' Masked chuckles. 'I will help you to get into that tower without blowing it up. I may penetrate shield, for long enough to let inside small squad of people before it close again. And probably another time when you will try to get outside.'

You look at Masked and scratch your head. 'Can't you just destroy this field?'

Grin appear under hood. 'Weaver, Weaver. I'm archmage, but security of this tower had more then thousand years for creating improvements. I would do that, eventually, but we don't have much time. Like I said, small squad could get inside and deal with anchor and wizards inside. But I have one condition.' another grin, as he looks at you. 'You will be part of that squad.'

You look at Masked, when he chuckles... 'You are kidding, right? I'm not warrior.'

'Oh, I know. That is the point. Are you ready to risk your existence to stop that will happend? Or maybe you are so sure of your plan that you will risk entire world... Well, not world, we will stop demons. But this town... destruction of it may be very useful to some people. Oh and don't worry. I will must be sure your chances will be as big as Great Wizard's. Samer will go with you.'

Samer, silent giant, waves to you and smiles.

'So... What will you say? We don't have much time and it will take some more of this time. But still less then your explosion inducing plan. Also, don't worry, if you disagee. I will make sure that no demons get outside this town as long as we don't decide what to so with it, so you will still have chance. I don't know when they will come, but hey, they will anyway.'

Archmage Masked offers you alternative way to defead Great Wizard... But if you decide to agree, it may be last night of your life. But... if you disagee, yo may doom entire city. Circle archmages are coming and for their assistance theyay want payment.

A) You agree to Masked offer. Instead of blowing up tower you will get inside, leading squad of people you may pick up (including you and Samer - 15 people. Pick them to yourself, but be aware that not everyone may agree - I will said who before next update, of course)
B) You stick with your plan. You work for city, yes, but I don't mean that you must sacrifice yourself for it. Masked will go help to hold demonic forces instead... Still, even with his help, you don't know if they will hold for long enough to either blow up tower or wait for Circle reinforcements.
C) Try to convince Masked to help you, but without risking your life... It may be foolish, but maybe it is worth to try. Or maybe he will be able to speed up dwarven work?
D) This thing is getting too dangerous for your taste. It is time to disappear from everyone sight and deal with your own business. They will make it without you anyway. You may try to get Regreh with you, but others are now beyond your range.
a) You will go and deal with Kaizoku, as chaos in the city will be ideal distraction. Time to finally take care of him.
b) It is time to follow Hiri. You will stole horse and ride same way she left this city.
c) You must get out of there, now. Doesn't matter where, but you don't want to be there when Circle will come. Or before they will lock city.

There you had some rolls. First - squad part that you send to inform dwarves. They were both lucky and unlucky as they managed to stop wizards trying to attack dwarves, but they didn't managed to inform as many dwarves as they could. Veteran, however, is other story. He didn't even rolled, as it was auto-success and he gave you huuuge bonus of dwarven forces. Maybe Regreh did same, somewhere.

You had some more rolls with ring and managed to learn that... You aren't exactly specialist to examine fields, but you found out about turrets on a top of tower and really saved ass of some people. And deal with some problems with explosives.

I still must roll for some more situation in city. Also, as some people adviced me - updates will be shorter, but appear more often and contain right amount of action and choices.

Castor forces under Drunk fucked up their rolls, so they failed to do anything with that anchor under portal for now. Regreh is nowhere to be seen. No rolls for main forces as battle just started.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Well. We are fucked.

Don't really want to involve ourselves in the affairs of the archmages. That's a one way ticket. We did that once and had 250 years to re-think our priorities.

And of course I believe in my plan. :M

Will have to consider that one.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Oh, and standard questions rule applies, as always. Ask about whatever you want as long as character is in your range of choices this round. So everybody in Wizard.

Nevill

Arcane
C) Try to convince Masked to help you, but without risking your life... It may be foolish, but maybe it is worth to try. Or maybe he will be able to speed up dwarven work?
What about inviting the guy inside with us? How does he feel about risking his hide? :M

He can make sure our chances our better by leading by example.

If he is too wimpy cautious to do that, I don't think he can ask that of us. So if he refuses, I'll stick to my own guns.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Nevill - let's treat it as Weaver question.

'Oh, it is simple. I must hold still during casting spell stopping field from beheading anyone if it close on him. Or worse.' he smiles. 'This is why I send my Ageless with you. Fair chance for you. Believe me, he know how to deal with people, but I assume you already know that. So, I can't move when I breach field and keep it open.'

asxetos

Augur
I think we have the best tools around to use against wizards.
Assassins and dwarves.

A squad of 6 assassins (Avian + 5 trusted assassins/spell-casting assassins)
A squad of 7 dwarves (Darder + 6 berserkers or anyone Darder would pick)
Weaver and Samer.

Alex and Natrila are out of the question.
Falr is out of the question.
Guards will probably be useless inside the tower.
If Regeh shows up he can replace a dwarf.
Not sure about Castor. He would be really useful but i dont think he should come.

Nevill

Arcane
A suicidal rush to be a hero is strong with the Codex.

While I do not object to it too strongly (I, too, is vulnerable to YOLO), I would still ask what is it in Larnmarn that is worth a spymaster risking her life.

If we fail, Alex will lose control over the city to the Circle. While it would be nice to have a 'nephew' in charge of the city ruins, why do we feel the need to go on a suicide mission for that?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom