Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2 Released on GOG

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: BioWare; LucasArts; Obsidian Entertainment; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords

Back in October, the folks at GOG announced that they had finally managed to secure a deal with Disney to release LucasArts' classic titles on their platform. One of the first six titles released was BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic. However, I felt it would be remiss to make a news post about it until its sequel, Obsidian's Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, was released in the same way.

Well, that took longer than expected. For some reason, there was a hiatus in further LucasArts releases (related to end of year sales, perhaps?), but starting from today, they have resumed. A further six titles have been released, with KOTOR2 among them. Both of the KOTORs are priced at $10, plus a 20% launch discount. Go get 'em if you can't abide by Steam. Personally, I'm still waiting for Day of the Tentacle...

Last edited by a moderator:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Hmm, if they managed to release a version of TSL with wide-screen support, it would be awesome.

Modding it on the steam version requires you to use an outdated exe that hasn't the latest bug fixes in.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
What does it matter? Download the EXE, it works with the Steam version too.
I think I tried all of these different exes, including the proposed Russian forum one from the steam community and while some do allow the game to run at wide-screen resolution, they do tend to crash.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think I tried all of these different exes, including the proposed Russian forum one from the steam community and while some do allow the game to run at wide-screen resolution, they do tend to crash.

Well, I learned about this one in some KOTOR modding forum. The guy there seemed to imply that it was simply the EXE taken directly from that DVD, not some cracked version. I guess we'll have to wait for somebody to try things out.

Luckra

Educated
I replayed KotOR II at the beginning of last year on Steam and I'm pretty sure I used this exe. I'll need to do some digging to see if I still have the files somewhere to confirm but the game was surprinsingly stable (even more so than KotOR I).

sgm

Educated
Well, I learned about this one in some KOTOR modding forum. The guy there seemed to imply that it was simply the EXE taken directly from that DVD, not some cracked version. I guess we'll have to wait for somebody to try things out.

Infinitron, that file on GCW is a crack. It says so in it's description. I have that Collection DVD and it uses Securom. Trying to run that EXE without the include BAK file wont work and sometimes the game won't start anyway. I tried that EXE fix and it works with the restored content and wide screen mods, but the menu system response time becomes oddly sluggish, especially when trying to change resolutions. And yes, it can crash.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
However, I felt it would be remiss to make a news post about it until its sequel, Obsidian's Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, was released in the same way.
gfBRHxw.jpg

sgm

Educated
Securerom is freaking out because i dont have a DVD drive...

:badnews:

Here's what I did:

1. install the game
2. install TSLRCM mod
3. install M4-78EP mod
4. put the new EXE (link) + BAK file it comes with in game directory.
5. set new EXE to admin privileges.
6. run the game (if you get a SecuRoM warning, just cancel and run it again. Usually the second attempt works) then change the in-game resolution to anything you wouldn't normally use (I recommended setting it to 800x600).
7. exit game + run UniWS patcher by Wogg.
8. choose Kotor 2 under Game drop down menu, find your install folder (don't use the automated feature, do it manually in so you don't accidentally patch a back up EXE) and set new resolution to screen (1920x1080) and patch it.
9. go to the game folder and open swkotor2.ini, then delete swkotor.undo1 file while the INI file is still open.
10. Change to these settings in the INI file:

[Display Options]
Width=1920
Height=1080

[Graphics Options]
Height=1080
Width=1920

11. Save + exit.
12. extract the appropriate folder from Widescreen UI Fix by Achilles (I used the default 1920x1080 folder) and place files into the game's Override folder.
13. Run the game (you might still get a SecuRom warning, particularly on the first try. Just try it again and it should work).

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
sgm

Is there any chance that fixes the problems KotOR2 had with ATI cards?

sgm

Educated
Sorry, I wish I could tell you but, I have a nVidia card.

Try setting your Frame Buffer and Soft Shadows=0 in you INI file.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
Have they fixed KOTOR 2? Like giving the game an ending and fixing the endless amount of game breaking bugs?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Sorry, I wish I could tell you but, I have a nVidia card.

Try setting your Frame Buffer and Soft Shadows=0 in you INI file.
I was more curious than actually wanting to play right now.

(also, I want those frame buffer effects and soft shadows, they worked in kotor1)

Hassat Hunter

Educated
Have they fixed KOTOR 2? Like giving the game an ending and fixing the endless amount of game breaking bugs?
I thought we already did that years ago?
(also, I want those frame buffer effects and soft shadows, they worked in kotor1)
If they work in KOTOR1 they work in KOTOR2 (and vice versa). Seems modern drivers give crap though (both games). So depends how up-to-date you keep those.

racofer

Thread Incliner

Here's what I did:

1. install the game
2. install TSLRCM mod
3. install M4-78EP mod
6. run the game (if you get a SecuRoM warning, just cancel and run it again. Usually the second attempt works) then change the in-game resolution to anything you wouldn't normally use (I recommended setting it to 800x600).
8. choose Kotor 2 under Game drop down menu, find your install folder (don't use the automated feature, do it manually in so you don't accidentally patch a back up EXE) and set new resolution to screen (1920x1080) and patch it.
9. go to the game folder and open swkotor2.ini, then delete swkotor.undo1 file while the INI file is still open.

[Display Options]
Width=1920
Height=1080

[Graphics Options]
Height=1080
Width=1920

11. Save + exit.
12. extract the appropriate folder from Widescreen UI Fix by Achilles (I used the default 1920x1080 folder) and place files into the game's Override folder.
13. Run the game (you might still get a SecuRom warning, particularly on the first try. Just try it again and it should work).

Here's what I did:

1. Torrented it
2. Played it

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Here's what I did:

1. install the game
2. install TSLRCM mod
3. install M4-78EP mod

[Display Options]
Width=1920
Height=1080

[Graphics Options]
Height=1080
Width=1920

11. Save + exit.

Here's what I did:

1. Torrented it
2. Played it

It's what i ended up doing as well, i downloaded the GOG version, took the exe, put it on my steam install directory, modded for widescreen and was ready to go.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom