Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Knights of the Chalice review

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Really? Playing K-C-W-W and I seem to be doing OK... I'm close to the beginning, of course. We'll see...

Terpsichore

Arcane
Knight is completely useless later on and the extra final fight will be a nightmare.

But of course, with a proper party and gear the game is just too easy.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Elwro said:
Really? Playing K-C-W-W and I seem to be doing OK... I'm close to the beginning, of course. We'll see...

Haha. :lol: This is the best party, and the easiest one to control. Just remember that damage spells are not that useful here. For first few levels Sleep and Glitterdust is your best friend.

One knight is ok. Two or three would be a problem.

visions

Arcane
Still haven't gotten to the end since I've been playing it on and off (at the undead tower right now, just did the Fire Pits) but K-K-C-W- has worked out pretty well for me so far, also most of the time I have relied primarily on direct damage (aoe) spells (and healing with the cleric, of course) and found this approach to be effective. Of course, things might change when I reach the final fight.

Don't actually remember if I used direct damage spells less at the beginning, since I started the game quite some time ago.

Coyote

Arcane
I did just fine with two knights my first time through, although it's definitely not as effective as parties with only one knight. Parties with no knights are probably better in terms of what they're capable in any given battle, but due to the way buffing works and a desire to avoid abusing the campfires (which makes later areas far too easy), I prefer to keep one around.

One thing that helps out immensely with a K-K-C-M party in the (semi-)final battle is that

you can go into a room at the back of the area, cast Wall of Stone to block the entrance, and cast all of your buffs without any interference from the enemies. (You might have to kill the enemy casters first, can't remember.)

visions

Arcane
I find it hard to restrain myself from using the campfires often. However the thought of running a party with no knights/fighters (also in other games) just feels alien to me, I like it when I have guys who specialize in whacking enemies in melee.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Luigi said:
Grunker said:
Honestly the sequel looks like it's gonna beat the original over the head with a diamond-encrusted spade (no, I have no ideas what that even means), so I'll probably be willing to the same... It seems the new one's gonna be bursting with character customization.
And it will have an almost obvious powergame build and its gonna be easy as fuck. Price of LARP. Death of Game.
Heh, it's already pretty easy to build an obvious powergamer build in KotC if you know your OGL/3.5ed rules.

Coyote

Arcane
I should qualify my earlier statement by adding that I do find knights somewhat underrated in KotC. They're definitely the weakest class overall, but many battles throughout the game (especially early on) are, IMO, much tougher without them.

visions said:
I find it hard to restrain myself from using the campfires often. However the thought of running a party with no knights/fighters (also in other games) just feels alien to me, I like it when I have guys who specialize in whacking enemies in melee.

True, there's an element of that for me, too. And I definitely found myself more tempted (and occasionally succumbing) to overuse the campfires on ironman playthroughs.

Annonchinil

Scholar
I wasn't sure if KCWW would provide enough meele in the early levels, so I went with KCCW. So far Clerics are better at taking dmg. than dealing dmg. Noth have 18 CON but only oner has 18 STR. So far my 20STR knight is the best character in the party.

Note: I just let the castle and am just at the caves trying to retrieve the dwarves ring.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
It's ok villain, paypal me the money and i'll play it.

Terpsichore

Arcane
I don't think you can finish the final fight while keeping both npcs alive with a knight in your party, they contribute absolutely nothing, all they do is die to reflect shields and there aren't spare turns to buff them up.

Clerics are capable of dealing more raw damage than wizards in some situations (harm, mass harm, firestorm).

Mrowak

Arcane
Terpsichore said:
I don't think you can finish the final fight while keeping both npcs alive with a knight in your party, they contribute absolutely nothing, all they do is die to reflect shields and there aren't spare turns to buff them up.

Clerics are capable of dealing more raw damage than wizards in some situations (harm, mass harm, firestorm).

Once I managed to keep everyone alive, including both the npcs with my K C W W party. Naturally it all came down to Mass Monster Domination spam, but who cares about meaningless details :P.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Blackadder said:
RK47 said:
It's ok villain, paypal me the money and i'll play it.

Which country do you live in?

It's alright man, I did some recalculation, yeah, it's not as bad as I thought. $30-40 bucks in local currency, give or take. Guess I'll set that much aside next month after pay day. But still...Skyrim 11/11/11.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Elwro said:
I used the same and by the end I was wishing I'd gone KKCW instead of listening to W fetishists. Anyone, claiming K are useless is either trolling you or doesn't know how to use them. But KCWW will do fine, too, of course. A party without C or W would probably be the only one with severe problems.

Wunderpurps

Educated
Terpsichore said:

:roll:

kkwc was my party and I did fine. The easiest way to take that fight mummy fight would be with all knights with tons of crafted items. The game started off hard then was very easy after 5th level, and then the last couple fights were slightly challenging.

There needs to be an autoreplace that changes fighters are usless in DnD to fighters are useless in DnD, if you have a head wound of some kind.

Luigi

Barely Literate
lolyeah
prolly the most broken thing ingame
also ww >> kk by a meta tonne

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Knights may be the weakest class at some points of the game but (at least in the early patches) Knight Knight Wizard Cleric parties can win the game without significant problems. I found my two Knights to be quite effective up until the really late parts of the game when damage resistance got crazy. I actually found my cleric was the least useful in combat, not my knights. I hear clerics got some more spells in later patches though and obviously his healing utility was irreplaceable.

KoTC's biggest balance flaw is probably campfire abuse, so going Knight heavy is arguably a more "legit" way to play, since you can rest less.

Although Knights do heavily encourage you to abuse KoTC's second biggest balance flaw, crafting.

Annonchinil said:
I couldn't care any less about crafting, should I atleast try it out?

If you don't craft you will be greatly bumping up the game's difficulty.

Mrowak

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:
Yes, take craft wand. A wand of fireball will be your best friend when campfires are scarce.

A minute ago I just learned that wands and scrolls have lowered DC - they don't take bonuses from spellcasting abilities (Wisdom/Intelligence). And it's all after I kept relying on them on both KotC and ToEE. Thanks to them I even finished the final secret battle without anyone dying in KotC. The power of irony and ignorance never ceases to amaze me. :lol:

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Shannow said:
I used the same and by the end I was wishing I'd gone KKCW instead of listening to W fetishists. Anyone, claiming K are useless is either trolling you or doesn't know how to use them. But KCWW will do fine, too, of course. A party without C or W would probably be the only one with severe problems.
Knights are not useless, they are just less useful. For instance, it's very possible to leave the castle and go straight for the spider queen killing her at lvl3 (or 4?, don't remember how much you level up until meeting her, but it's pre-fireball, so lvl4 max) with 2 clerics and 2 wizards. This whole endeavor will be far more difficult if not impossible the more knights you have. Same for the secret final fight at the castle, I doubt it's possible to save both NPCs with a party of KKWC. The more casters you have the easier this fight gets.

Shannow

Waster of Time
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Shannow said:
Knights are not useless, they are just less useful. For instance, it's very possible to leave the castle and go straight for the spider queen killing her at lvl3 (or 4?, don't remember how much you level up until meeting her, but it's pre-fireball, so lvl4 max) with 2 clerics and 2 wizards. This whole endeavor will be far more difficult if not impossible the more knights you have. Same for the secret final fight at the castle, I doubt it's possible to save both NPCs with a party of KKWC. The more casters you have the easier this fight gets.
Are we back to arguing this again? The efficacy of classes depends on situation, playstyle and character builds. With my playstyle my single knight was killing every major enemy in no time (elder dragons would survive 2-3 rounds) and could take a severe beating himself by the end, while my casters were running around like little bitches trying not to get killed. (The AI's attack focus on casters, the bad scaling of spells, spell immunities and the inability to pre-buff do not work in casters' favour, either. Just sayin'.).

Why do we even have to argue about that? I do better with fighter heavy parties, you like casters. Fine. Done. What's your problem?

Disclaimer: VoD and I aren't arguing this kind of stuff for the first time, for anybody wondering ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom