Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Knights of the Chalice review

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Tags: Knights of the Chalice

<p>DIYGamer offer a new <a href="http://www.diygamer.com/2011/10/knights-chalice-review/">review</a> for the TB, old-school RPG, <a href="http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/">Knights of the Chalice</a>. While the reviewer hasn't noticed the option to choose between different display modes before writing the piece, he's positive in general. Still:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;">Another potential sticking point is the price-tag. At &pound;15 (approximately $24), this is a hard sell for many. There&rsquo;s a lot of content here despite the cut-down ruleset, but they might have trouble attracting interest outside of their core market, especially as a growing number of RPGs from the 90s are available now from stores like Good Old Games, and tend to be priced much lower.</p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;">&nbsp;</p>
<p>What good party-based old-school RPGs with turn-based combat are there on GoG? Well, OK, Betrayal at Krondor and the Arkania games... but even if you don't have them yet, checking out KotC <a href="http://heroicfantasygames.com/Download.htm">demo</a> should manadatory for any RPG fan!</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&amp;t=93&amp;start=40">KotC forums</a></p>

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
KOTC is p. cool but KOTC 2 is going to be grate. Quad-wielding Mantis, oh yes! Also, mod support.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
The issue of price was exactly the reason I initially pirated KotC. Sure, I had played the demo first, but was unconvinced. When being half-way through the game I forked that £15 and never looked back.

Goddamn, for £19 I could buy TW2 when it got released here in Poland. It's easy to see that a lot of not-so-hardcore people here are dissuaded from making a purchase.

I will probably buy the second part if it's released with the same price tag, but not after some consideration, and jewing lots of potato first.

MMXI

Arcane
Elwro said:
What good party-based old-school RPGs with turn-based combat are there on GoG?
Those two, Temple of Elemental Evil (if you count that as old-school), Might and Magic 1 through 5 and the Age of Enlightenment Ultima games. Of course, only Temple of Elemental Evil can compete with what KotC does out of those games.

Annonchinil

Scholar
Just got it, have a party with two clerics, a night and a mage. Any way to change the leader after the game started? Couldn't see the characters stats when I selected who was going to become one.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Annonchinil said:
Just got it, have a party with two clerics, a night and a mage. Any way to change the leader after the game started? Couldn't see the characters stats when I selected who was going to become one.
On the character sheet click on the white (Leader) text and you'll be able to drag and drop to change formations.

Elwro

Arcane
hanssolo said:
Why only review it now? It's not like it's an Obsidian game.
Well, it is improved. The vanilla game had worse font, didn't have the additional display modes, and e.g. didn't allow the clerics to turn undead!

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Same case here, it's 19.....POUNDS. FFS. I know it's indie, but geez. I could pick up a few steam bargains at that price. I haven't acquired it. And not planning to unless they revise its price.

Elwro

Arcane
19 pounds? Was 15 pounds (14.95) for me. Is this another of the shitty tax issues? If so, then for once it's not me who has to pay the additional tax :D

RK47

Patron
Elwro said:
19 pounds? Was 15 pounds (14.95) for me. Is this another of the shitty tax issues? If so, then for once it's not me who has to pay the additional tax :D

eh could be 15 only but still that's like $50 in my currency. I can't justify that kind of price.

RK47 said:
Elwro said:

eh could be 15 only but still that's like $50 in my currency. I can't justify that kind of price.

If this type of game isn't your thing, then yes, it isn't justifiable. If you really enjoy this type of game however, I wouldn't put off buying it, even for 50 of your zogbucks.

In which country do you live? That is a terrible exchange rate especially with the pound currently suffering a hangover.

Sordid Jester

Educated
Never was able to handle the screenshots of this game because of the perspective, but finally deciding to boot up the demo gave me much less trouble than I thought it would. And I put it off all this time, sigh.

Oh well, £15's an easy sell considering the praise. Bought.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hey you old school RPG fans that love to support old school titles! STEAM is selling the entire GTA collection for just 7.50 Euros! Why waste your time bitching about the price of some third rate game that looks worse than something that came out in 1990 when you can have all the GTA goodness for a fraction of the price!!!!!!

Get onto it NOWWWWWWW!!!

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
hi Konjad

Grunker said:
Ye, I had the same difficulties when I started KotC. Turns out it's a non-issue.
Same here. It put me off for ages - it's something I wasn't really able to get past the one time I tried Ultima 7, but that game never really grabbed me anyway - but I stopped noticing it pretty much as soon as I started playing the demo. I actually found the graphics and perspective to have their own great charm. More than worth £15, and I'd stump up for the sequel even if he decided to charge the price of a full commercial game.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Honestly the sequel looks like it's gonna beat the original over the head with a diamond-encrusted spade (no, I have no ideas what that even means), so I'll probably be willing to the same... It seems the new one's gonna be bursting with character customization.

Redlands

Arcane
Question: How many of your precious $4.99 Steam games are going to be like this? Or on GOG? And how many difficult turn-based tactical games were actually released new in the last few years?

You're either of the few (let's face it; Codex tastes don't generally extend much outside the small circle on this point) interested in this type of game, or you're not.

If you're not, then why are you worried about the price? You're not being forced to buy the game.

If you are, then you should be aware of the fucking dearth of titles like this, even among indie games, for a while. Small amount of competition + small user base = higher than average indie prices to make their work profitable. SpaceChem is a fucking puzzle game and that's priced at $15 and it's probably taken no more development time than KotC, and the market for SpaceChem is much higher.

In local moneys, that game costs $40 (after the conversion I just checked on): half the price of new release titles; actually more like a third now what with DLC and the increasing price rise I've noticed that has slapped on $10, even when our dollar was high versus the US (than usual).

Even if it's more than you can afford, either say "Welp, the game's not for me." (like I've had to do for the interim since the demo just doesn't want to run on this computer, unfortunately :() or do what I had to do when I was younger and save up.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Blackadder said:
RK47 said:
Elwro said:

If this type of game isn't your thing, then yes, it isn't justifiable. If you really enjoy this type of game however, I wouldn't put off buying it, even for 50 of your zogbucks.

In which country do you live? That is a terrible exchange rate especially with the pound currently suffering a hangover.

Yeah, definitely. I paid €30 for KotC, IIRC and did not regret it at all. Definitely buying KotC2 on Day1, no matter the price.

Multi-headed Cow

The solution is they should pull a Vogel and fleece the fans for $25, then put it on Steam and sell it for $5-10 for the bros.

Luigi

Barely Literate
Grunker said:
Honestly the sequel looks like it's gonna beat the original over the head with a diamond-encrusted spade (no, I have no ideas what that even means), so I'll probably be willing to the same... It seems the new one's gonna be bursting with character customization.
And it will have an almost obvious powergame build and its gonna be easy as fuck. Price of LARP. Death of Game.

RK47

Patron
Sorry guys, I'll have to wait till Xmas or something, cause I've spent my gaming budget for this month already on Battlefield 3 and GTA complete pack.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom