Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Knights of the Chalice is Here

almondblight

Arcane
Fezzik said:
I just put the demo up on megaupload. Maybe that'll work for you.

Thanks! You sir, are a prince among men.

Just started but the game seems really cool so far.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Just finished the main quest, but I'm gonna visit stuff I haven't been to before completely finishing.

Overall, I liked this, generic as fuck plot aside (it's not like it's important, anyway). And the end-game area was... really fucking hard to say the least.

Gwendo

Augur
Darth Roxor said:
Just finished the main quest, but I'm gonna visit stuff I haven't been to before completely finishing.

Overall, I liked this, generic as fuck plot aside (it's not like it's important, anyway). And the end-game area was... really fucking hard to say the least.

How much time did it take to finish it?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Gwendo said:
How much time did it take to finish it?

Well, I bought it on Tuesday, and I played it rather extensively (especially the first day) being the low-life bastard that I am, but I'd say something around... 15-20 hours?

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Panthera said:
Hoaxmetal said:
Anything else good except the combat?

That's like talking about Tetris and saying 'anything else good except the falling blocks part?'
Well I just hoped that combat isn't only thing which is done well.

Panthera

Scholar
Well, I like the music.

And all the dialog inside the dungeons.

And the way crafting works.

Darth Roxor said:
And the end-game area was... really fucking hard to say the least.

That's the

place under Vanacia right? So is that gigantic brawl with all the dudes and the souped-up red dragon the final fight or are there a few more? I have a feeling it's not the end so I'm trying to conserve spells and not go all out, but if it is the end I guess I should.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Edward_R_Murrow said:
I have a feeling it's not the end so I'm trying to conserve spells and not go all out, but if it is the end I guess I should.

Your feeling is correct. Also, you'd better have a save-game before entering that temple and getting sealed in, because I had to reload after the red dragon fight and stock up on loads and loads of heal/harm/rez scrolls.

Luzur

Good Sir
getter77 said:
Luzur said:
-Check their profile and you should notice their weakness(es) on the Babaus.

the ingame profile? ive been looking around the net but didnt find any mention of weakness.

Yep, easiest way to figure out the abilities and weaknesses of anything you fight in the game right down to their specific inventory.

well okay, i looked around in their profile and they are demons who works as assassins.

is that supposed to tell me something? sorry but i dont get it. should i burn their protective ooze off first? try casting protect from evil? searing light? what?

:x

Fezzik

Cipher
Luzur said:
getter77 said:
Luzur said:
-Check their profile and you should notice their weakness(es) on the Babaus.

the ingame profile? ive been looking around the net but didnt find any mention of weakness.

Yep, easiest way to figure out the abilities and weaknesses of anything you fight in the game right down to their specific inventory.

well okay, i looked around in their profile and they are demons who works as assassins.

is that supposed to tell me something? sorry but i dont get it. should i burn their protective ooze off first? try casting protect from evil? searing light? what?

:x

He probably means the stuff under the "Feats" menu. Sometimes there is information in there about weaknesses and a bunch of other stuff.

Panthera said:
That's like talking about Tetris and saying 'anything else good except the falling blocks part?'

You take that back! We'll have no such 'Tetris' talk 'round here sonny!
pyrocopy.jpg

Ashery

Prophet
I'd say ~20 is about right for the estimated completion time. Although the amount could vary quite wildly depending on how many times you have to retry the frequently challenging fights. God damn did that first dungeon beat the living shit outta me...

Not many complaints overall (Font could use some work, but I'm fine with the rest of it), but crafting definitely needs to be tweaked a bit as it's rather exploitable as it stands now. Being stuck in a dungeon where there's no return would seem like it should be a challenging situation to be in, but when you can recharge wands with fifty charges of cure light wounds for 412g and 33xp even when you don't have any level one spells left, the challenge is pretty much gone.

Honestly, that first dungeon gave me the most trouble by far as I didn't have the masses of gold and experience to burn on crafting the necessary gear (Currently about to finish the slaver town). Gotta love having a cloak of displacement on my half-elf mage with 24ac. Actually, that half-elf immunity doesn't matter all that much with the high ac combined with the 50% outright miss change, hah. It doesn't help that your casters are so weak in that first dungeon...Your mage has, at best, a handful of spells to use whenever he rests and can barely hit the broad side of a barn with a crossbow...

By the way, are gems ever useful for anything outside of selling? And what about the tons of corpses you eventually pick up (Currently my cleric is carrying around 32 corpses, heh)? Tried raising them from the dead while the were on the ground, but alas...

getter77

Augur
-Nothing to the corpses.

-Gems are for selling.

-Sorry on the Babau bit, if you look their monster profile in the bestiary you can see that they have Dmg Reduction to all but Cold Iron, and an innate Acid Shield. So, Cold Iron weaponry + Minor Acid Ring + taking advantage of alignments will help you carry the day.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
1.06 is out and has some nice changes, the best being the ability to have the characters keep moving while leaving the mouse button pressed. That felt more annoying to me than the font.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78 said:
Changes:

1) Fixed a rules compliance issue: a character should be able to take an equivalent move action (that is to say an action other than moving which takes as much time as moving up to the character’s speed), such as Use the inventory, after taking a five foot step (free action) and making a single attack (standard action).
2) Added an option for automatic end of turn, as requested. If this option is on, the game will check after each action performed whether there’s anything more you could do and if not, it will automatically end the character’s turn. Examples: after moving and then attacking; moving and then using the inventory; performing a five foot step then some attacks and finding yourself without anymore enemies around you.
3) Fixed a problem with casting from a scroll outside combat: the scroll was destroyed even when the spellcaster cancelled his spell.
4) Improved the design of the scribe scroll and craft wand screens.
5) Escape will bring up the menu screen even when the computer is playing.
6) Added a button linking to the main help index in the title screen.
7) Cure spells cast outside combat on a player character will not require the caster to be adjacent to the recipient.
8) Fixed the issue when swapping characters: this issue was responsible for the bugs with Luminara targeting Kline as well as the double swapping issue. It was a small bit missing in the swapping code.
9) Added Luminara and Elinor to the list of random female names. Cool names. PS: I enjoyed reading the personalised descriptions of Elinor’s swords.
10) Fixed broken link in the Ghoul Touch spell description.
11) Fixed the spelling of peeble to pebble in Magic Stone spell description.
12) Damage dice now printed as “1D8” rather than “1D08” in the character sheet and inventory screen.
13) Changed the way campfires are printed so that the contrast is higher.
14) Added Movement by holding the Mouse button pressed.
15) Fixed a big bug in the chronometer. Thanks for spotting that, I missed it earlier as I thought the reloading was cutting down time. Now displays both hours and minutes.
16) The game will now save the cursor state (attack, shoot or observe) of each character at the end of their turn and resume it on their turn. Also saved in save games.
17) Fixed a bug with Dexterity 0 when obtained from sleep. Being put to sleep (or pinned) reduces the dexterity to 0 but it should not “paralyze” a creature. It’s only when a character acquires dexterity zero from ability damage that he becomes paralyzed because of low dex.

Haven’t had enough time to upgrade the item interface.

Nothing about a new hi-res font though...

Andhaira

Arcane
Wha would you say to having a party of 2 knights and 2 wizards (aka no cleric) The only real flaw in that is you don't have heal spells AND you can't use healing wands. Is it that big a deal though?

Ashery

Prophet
AndhairaX said:
Wha would you say to having a party of 2 knights and 2 wizards (aka no cleric) The only real flaw in that is you don't have heal spells AND you can't use healing wands. Is it that big a deal though?

Suicidal.

The problem is when you have dungeons where there are points of no return...ie you can't just run away and rest whenever you're low on hp.

And cold iron/silver/adam. weapons are best acquired through crafting. I actually recommend to take crafting fairly early on as it's useful even in the first dungeon.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Some of you played it already... please answer:

-no Undead Turning?
-how are Concentration checks handled (they fail all the time) since there is no Concentration skill?

combat is fun so far but really... reload-heavy

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
VentilatorOfDoom said:
-no Undead Turning?

Unfortunately, yes :? this is definitely one of the things I missed. Hell, clerics are overall rather gimped - in the later areas I didn't use almost anything except (mass) cure/inflict/harm/heal, because all the other spells seemed pretty useless

-how are Concentration checks handled (they fail all the time) since there is no Concentration skill?

Concentration 'skill' is equal to your level iirc.

Panthera

Scholar
Ashery said:
AndhairaX said:

Suicidal.

The problem is when you have dungeons where there are points of no return...ie you can't just run away and rest whenever you're low on hp.

And cold iron/silver/adam. weapons are best acquired through crafting. I actually recommend to take crafting fairly early on as it's useful even in the first dungeon.

Wizards get Teleport, so you only have to worry about that for the first few dungeons.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Unfortunately, yes this is definitely one of the things I missed. Hell, clerics are overall rather gimped - in the later areas I didn't use almost anything except (mass) cure/inflict/harm/heal, because all the other spells seemed pretty useless

Meh, :oops: sry Blackadder

Concentration 'skill' is equal to your level iirc.

If true, Concentration is slightly gimped but acceptable... but I somehow doubt that judging by my rolls (I also have Improved Concentration or whatever that was called).
Thanks for answer though.

Wizards get Teleport

Awesome!

I'm trying to beat the spiders, I'm only lvl3 ... WTF?

I played dice and bought another wand... now spiders are gonna pay!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom