Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Knights of the Chalice is Here

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
VentilatorOfDoom said:
If true, Concentration is slightly gimped but acceptable... but I somehow doubt that judging by my rolls (I also have Improved Concentration or whatever that was called).
Thanks for answer though.

I think the level-based concentration was mentioned in the demo in a 'some things are changed' pop up.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
From the in-game documentation, the value of a concentration check is equal to 1d20 + caster level + constitution modifier. If defensive casting is activated, the DC is 15 + the level of the spell; without defensive casting, if you get hit by the AoO, the DC is equal to 10 + damage taken + level of the spell.

Luzur

Good Sir
seriously, we need someone to write a walktrough of this game.

defeated the babaus (and noticed i can make things...) south fromt he opening to the hills giant fort, but instead of the believed backdoor i found some gold and wooden walls.

am i supposed to do something important before getting inside that fort? disable forcefield?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Gragt said:
From the in-game documentation, the value of a concentration check is equal to 1d20 + caster level + constitution modifier. If defensive casting is activated, the DC is 15 + the level of the spell; without defensive casting, if you get hit by the AoO, the DC is equal to 10 + damage taken + level of the spell.

So it is as Roxor said, Concentration skill is replaced by caster level... ok.

I went away from the spider caves, tried 2h in vain to defeat them at lvl3... revenge comes later. What use have animal slaying arrows if you cant hit anything...

Fezzik

Cipher
Luzur said:

defeated the babaus (and noticed i can make things...) south fromt he opening to the hills giant fort, but instead of the believed backdoor i found some gold and wooden walls.

am i supposed to do something important before getting inside that fort? disable forcefield?

Follow the main quest for a bit by going to Taneliz through the mountain pass. Once you've finished up business there, the fortress should be open for you.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Muhahhhaaaha, spider queen dipshit and her cleric minions just learned not to mess with me! Awesome and fun!
Seriously guys, don't let me die ill-educated... how did you defeat queen dingsbums and at what lvl?

On to the Orc Fort.

edit: oh noes there is more in this cave...

Ashery

Prophet
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Gragt said:

So it is as Roxor said, Concentration skill is replaced by caster level... ok.

I went away from the spider caves, tried 2h in vain to defeat them at lvl3... revenge comes later. What use have animal slaying arrows if you cant hit anything...

Yea, that first dungeon is a bit obscene. That spider fight boiled down to me rushing one of my two fighters into the center and firing one of the monster slaying arrows into the main spider and reloading until one landed and killed her outright (I even lost the fight once *after* the spider died instantly).

"Go to the caves to the southeast to practice your skills," my ass...

I completely forgot about that teleport spell (I even took it as soon as my first spell of that level). Although, be aware that it says in the description that it doesn't work everywhere.

I'd also suggest giving your cleric the enchant weapon/armor perk over your mage, as that seems to be the crafting area where you're dump the most experience...Clerics don't gain all that much fire power and versatility in the later levels, what with only getting a total of four *possible* level six and seven spells and a mere three for levels eight and nine.

Oh, and if it hasn't been said before, the improved initiative feat is a must. Nothing like a mage with 22dex and improved initiative to open up every combat, heh.

Not quite sure how replayable the game will be considering the overall lack of variety in classes and gear (The only wondrous items decisions that involve any type of choice are a) gauntlets of armor or dexterity (The only class that effects is a naked knight with weapon finesse) and, b), the only choice requiring some thought, a handful of cloaks with entirely different purposes (Well, beyond blur/displacement).

Heh, I just realized my mage has almost 20% less experience when compared to my cleric (71k compared to 90k, both knights are around 89k). Those +3 destruction/speed weapons were worth it, though. Nothing like watching every enemy around you die thanks to great cleave and a prior fireball, haha (Great cleave > whirlwind in every way).

Edit: For Vent's question: My guess is I was around level three or four...There's not all that much you can do prior to that fight besides grinding on random encounters outside. that fight really just boils down to clearing the entire first level prior and using the arrows of animal slaying and the enchanted kuri that the vampire was guarding.

Luzur

Good Sir
Fezzik said:
Luzur said:

Follow the main quest for a bit by going to Taneliz through the mountain pass. Once you've finished up business there, the fortress should be open for you.

so i must go through that "no exit until dead" maze cave with the 12 fights and no rest to get in the fort? :x

hopefully the dev wont use this damn "one way in - no way out" dungeon in the sequel. sheesh, its too much, let me rest my party before throwing me into a hard boss fight.

getter77

Augur
Ashery: There's fun to be had yet with challenge parties in the game...plus there are some crazy fights along the way. Not to mention just outright doing things very differently, Ironman mode, and so on.

Ashery

Prophet
Which tomb are you talking about Vent?

And I've definitely had a few more challenging fights, it's just that they're no where near as frustrating as that first dungeon (Or maybe I've just gotten used to reloading, but it still seems as I don't do it nearly as often).

Take that last frost giant fight (Minor spoilers below):

First attempt: Tried out firestorm almost expecting it to be akin to firewall (Not sure *how* I misread that description) and accidentally used one of my main tank's bow instead of moving him to block the two dragons, reloaded to start fresh and avoid stupid mistakes. Oh, and I entered the room at around 60% hp, with only ~20% of my spells available, and unaware that I'd be completely surrounded.

Second attempt: Tried using fire wall to keep the ai from pathing straight to my casters. Not only can mobs walk through each other (Unless they're directly engaged), but the frost giant leader has fire immunity. Beyond that, my tanks weren't faring as well as they should've against the dragons, so reload after only two or so rounds.

Third attempt: First round, both my cleric and mage were hit by their archer...the archer that happened to have arrows of humanoid slaying. Poof go both my casters, reload.

Fourth attempt: Success. Said fuck it to the dragons and rushed the king and his archer. A summoned elemental kept the dragons occupied and a lucky disintegration crit hit the leader for 202 damage.

That fight was, by far, the most difficult fight of that dungeon. But then it helps that there are places to rest inside the dungeon and my casters actually have a substantial number of tricks up their sleeves. Well, my mage does at least. The cleric is mostly just a heal and prayer bot.

Note that most fights are nearly trivial due to my knights. Now that they have five attacks per round (Four naturally and one from the speed enchantment), they'll each dish out ~120-130 damage per round on average. Combine that with the fact that most giant fights occur in halls only two wide and one can see why most giant fights are trivial for the group. Hell, most of the challenge comes from when the game places my mage up front instead of behind the tanks. Normally he goes first so you'd think he could move back, but the game puts the cleric and my other tank directly behind...boxing the poor bastard in. Well, not quite boxed, but it's either wait there until the cleric can move or charge into a bunch of giants...

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
VentilatorOfDoom said:
lol, did anyone try to fight the Vrock in the tomb? 500HP, lvl 30...
I ask myself am I supposed to come here later?

I didn't even manage to get inside it (if you mean the locked one near the thri-keens beneath the spider caves).

Also, I motherfucking hate vrocks.

the frost giant leader has fire immunity.

Impossible. I took him out with maximized fireball spam (just like almost everything in the game, after I got the 'maximized spell' feat).

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Yes I meant the sealed tomb in the Thri-keen cave (I'm still there in the first dungeon but at lvl6 now), the insect king gave me the key after I "negotiated" peace with the dwarves beneath. That fight also was a bit unfair because - of course - all dwarves made a beeline for the dwarf you had to protect->reload->reload->reload->oh, i managed to open the fight with casting Displacement on the dwarf, success

Then I went to the tomb, there were generic undead in there, but 1 room had a mummy - already annoying - the other had the vrock (sealed inside a pentagram), he wants to be released rofl, promises wealth and power... sure, I release him for the lulz : lvl30 496HP or something ooookkaayyy reload. The next room had 4 babaus (optional), currently they are on my list of things to kill later.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Yes I meant the sealed tomb in the Thri-keen cave (I'm still there in the first dungeon but at lvl6 now), the insect king gave me the key after I "negotiated" peace with the dwarves beneath. That fight also was a bit unfair because - of course - all dwarves made a beeline for the dwarf you had to protect->reload->reload->reload->oh, i managed to open the fight with casting Displacement on the dwarf, success

I did the same but the thri-keen didn't give me the key :|

Ashery

Prophet
VentilatorOfDoom said:

Then I went to the tomb, there were generic undead in there, but 1 room had a mummy - already annoying - the other had the vrock (sealed inside a pentagram), he wants to be released rofl, promises wealth and power... sure, I release him for the lulz : lvl30 496HP or something ooookkaayyy reload. The next room had 4 babaus (optional), currently they are on my list of things to kill later.

Oh, that guy.

There should be another way ;)

Edit: And I would have sworn that the frost giant leader had immunity...Not sure how he could've walked past the firewall I had setup without getting hit at least once...

Oh, and it's hilarious watching giants take 30-40 damage from AoO's as they walk around to bull rush you characters into your wall of fire...and subsequently take only 4-10 damage XD

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
arrggh I'm in the Orc Fortress, I made lvl7 but cannot rest anywhere... i just had the accursed beast down to 20hp, then the last knight fell, maybe I should have let the guy in the rooms before live? But I saw he carried a magical weapon and magical armor, I instantly knew he had to die...

Luzur

Good Sir
the fight with the mages are easier if you let him live.

and he will tell you about some dragon slaying arrows hidden int he next rooms.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Mages? does that mean the dragon was not the worst part? I sense some serious problem ahead, where can I rest? Where? (killed the dragon by now, low on HP, out of spells)

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
ah those wussies.
I'm now in the underground to defeat the leader and some sorceress, my cleric has 1 hp and exactly 1 lvl1 spell left..., the wizard at least has the confusion and the stoneskin wands... I did accidently overwrite the save before I went to the fortress, very nice.
I wish I would at least find a healing wand.

Luzur

Good Sir
if you bargain with the guy you meet in the room after the dragon (with orcs) you will gain a fireplace to rest at.

getter77

Augur
For those lamenting that the Cleric can only heal and such, try experimenting with his Caster-only spells and some Melee centric feats----he can tear stuff up in his own regard pretty well in this way depending on how you spec him.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I went back and did "bargain" with him... the campfire spawned as soon as his corpse touched ground...muhhahhhaaa , should make things easier

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom