Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

King's Bounty: Warriors of the North

Angthoron

Arcane
Not that I'm against KB, but they could really give those tits a break and make a new game any time, it wouldn't break my heart too much if I'd not get a 2 xpacks a year.

belated

Augur
Fucking 0 dmg bug wiping out my stacks. Maybe fix the awful bugs in WotN before starting on yet another game?

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Well this is the latest kings bounty thread that i could find.

Anyway went out and got the Dark side... standalone.
You can pick 3 races - classes - Warrior(orc), Paladin (demon), Mage (vampire).
The game is overall like every king's bounty game, humor that is abit of a hit and miss at times and a story that dont take itself to serious.
You play as a Dark aligned race above^ and you are forced to flee from your homeland as the forces of light "good" come over there are sacrifice children to the light deity (yeah very nice people). Over the game you will have to go out and kill all the "light" people by torturing light sided people with a stick, turning them into vampires, or making them cheat on the one they love. Depending on the race you will get a few companions (like every KB game) and they give stats as they level up.

You also have a... well i dont know what to call it... the pet thing? And its overpowered like with every KB game.

While i have enjoyed the game (even with all the crashes and yes it crash ALL the time (save all the time)). I still have a few problems with the game. First of all the progression is all over the place. First it start as somewhat a challenge and then you will start to get the ultimate units of doom... and faceroll everything. The game still have the problem with dot spells dealing lots of damage and at times it feel like the entire game is based around the enemy having 3-15 stacks of casters dealing damage over time up to 1000 dmg / turn for eat dot type (fire, cold, plague and so on). Yes the game is still easy when you have the dragons... that can summon dragons. Whats the point in having anything other then these units? In most cases a few stacks of summoned dragons can kill anything and everything the enemy have without you taking damage (unless they cast a dot).

You will also cast alot of damage over time aoe spells or aoe abilities as its the best way to remove the 1000's of units the enemy have in 15 stacks. Atleast i have not found any single target spell that deal enough damage to be worth casting.

If you do decide to play this... Remember to save ALL the time. Also use the map note ability. As the game can at times be very vague with what you have to do. So you have to travel from island to island to talk to people and if you have not made any notes on where all the npc's are... Well have fun running around and looking at every island for that one npc... Oh and here is the best part... some times the quest cant be completed until later in the game... So if you did not make notes you might just run around and waste time looking for a building or npc that is not part of the islands you have explored.

Oh and dont sell spider eggs... And save one princess.

So far i recommend the game if you enjoy KB games.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
John Locke

Is the special pet/ability STILL disabled for boss battles?
I have not encountered a boss fight yet and im almost at what i guess is the end of the game. Its possible the fights abit later will be against a boss i would not know. If i find out i will write about it here.

Oh and another suggestion for anyone that care. For some reason the game run very very slow for me. So i decided to see if i could speed the game up by using a speed hack - And yes it worked like a charm, the game run faster, load faster, save faster... And as a + the traveling around dont take years. Feels like they have coded the game abit strange if i save and load faster with the hack on O.o

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
King's Bounty Warriors of the North

Thought I would take a break from my undertaking to play the best RPG of all time before I get dementia.

So after Codex advice towards Arx Fatalis, LoX, M&M X Legacy, Wasteland 2 and Blackguards - I go back to King's Bounty for respite.

A big fan of these games since The Legend. I had not seen anything them before as I missed the whole Heroes of M&M series.

Completed Legend and Armoured Princess and now on to Warriors of the North - second time around - this time to completion!

Just about to beat the Spider (again) but this time playing as a mage. Annotating maps as I go to help complete quests and remember who was selling what and how many. Otherwise the back and forth gets complicated to decipher.

Otherwise all fine - lovely game. Also interesting watching my boy trying to play it. Strategy Games are so not shooter or Skyrim. Even simple strategy games. He gets a bit lost and sometimes forgets to spend his runes to level up his main character. I wonder if they teach planning in schools these days?

I have maxed out my intelligence as possible and mostly use Vikings with some viking+ items. My flying horse eventually got me two level 5 Jotuns who I plan to use as tanks to draw attention. Those suckers have 800 HP or something. Struggling to increase my Warrior element of the skill tree as I get less might runes and many of those are spent increasing the spell levels in the Magician tree.

One thing I can't figure out - why can't I buy any scrolls that I see in shops? I have enough space in my spell book - it reads something like 54 (23) - what am I missing?

Otherwise any tips for playing as mage?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
One thing I can't figure out - why can't I buy any scrolls that I see in shops? I have enough space in my spell book - it reads something like 54 (23) - what am I missing?

Otherwise any tips for playing as mage?
54(23) means you are carrying 54 scrolls, and have room for 23 :)

For mage its basically all about delaying the enemy by using minions who can summon stuff, while summoning/nuking with the good spells. Phoenix is ridiculously strong.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

You playing with the Ice and Fire addon? Because that one is completely broken balance-wise.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...rriors-of-the-north.76792/page-7#post-3128276

I've just started a Dark Side playthrough and I'm glad the levelling system and all the other excessive crap is gone (at least it seems so from the first hour). Overall I think WotN is by far the worst part of the series, the Crossworlds remaining the best. Although I like from I'm seeing in Dark Side so far.

bloodlover

Arcane
:necro:

I have started playing this in between Arcanum and it's quite fun. I just have the Valhalla DLC on Steam but whatever. I have made two characters so far, to get a feeling of it and I think I will stick to my warrior. It's a bit rough at the start but with gold flowing from every fight and now that I finally got the valkyrie from the second island, things are going better. I was given the option to upgrade my rage skill thing and I just kept maxing the vortex. It seems to scale ok and it does aoe dmg so why now. I am not sure however how rage abilities go in the long run. Anything useful I should/have to take and should avoid? Also, there are some skills that work with orc champions. I have not seen any around yet, just rolling with the full standard vikings party for the boosted morale, but they will come into play later I assume. But mixing vikings with orcs would mess up my morale and I am not really fond of loosing those bonuses.

exe

Augur
I played the first one and burned out somewhere in lava/hell land. I know Armored Princess exist and adds a pet dragon to level or something. How many more games are there? Should I play them one after the other or just the last? Or not at all, since it's all the same as the first?

kazgar

Arcane
I played the first one and burned out somewhere in lava/hell land. I know Armored Princess exist and adds a pet dragon to level or something. How many more games are there? Should I play them one after the other or just the last? Or not at all, since it's all the same as the first?

They're all pretty much the same, with some different units available and different tricks for special attacks. You should know if you like the gameplay or not and want to do that again and again. I've played a couple but haven't got to warriors of the north or darkside, ill probably end up playing them, but will wait for sales to pick them up.

There's Armored Princess (+Crossworlds), Warriors of the North (+ Fire and Ice) and Darkside.

They all have way more variance in units/spells and more openness than The Legend, so if was the repetitiveness of certain enemy types and areas that burned you out then there's your cure. Armored Princess is the best in terms of balance but otherwise pick whether you want to play a game as a cute princess with a cute dragon, a grim viking with his valkyrie harem, or an evil orc/succubus/vampire who does evil things.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
PC Gamer recently did a retrospective on the series.
https://www.pcgamer.com/how-a-russi...an-marry-a-frog-or-a-zombie-became-a-classic/

King's Bounty: The Legend proved to be a big hit for 1C Company, and was one of the most successful games ever produced in Russia. They published three sequels and an expansion pack, with the last two sequels developed internally when developer Katauri moved on to developing MMO Royal Quest. "My favorite is King's Bounty: Dark Side," says Baryshnikov, who worked on it directly. "I have a great nostalgia for games like Dungeon Keeper and I always wanted to tell the story of the 'bad guys' that are not just mindless Chaotic Evil characters but have their own dark charisma."

King's Bounty: Dark Side came out in 2014. When asked about the future of the series, Baryshnikov is excited and optimistic: "I have played thousands of hours of the King's Bounty series. I am in love with it; it definitely has a future. I don't have specific details yet, but I have a personal dream to push King's Bounty to the next level. Sometimes being an executive in a game development company really helps to make your dreams come true. So stay tuned!"

Citizen

I played only the Legend, and, despite my love for HoMM and slav games, never finished it. I was expecting something like a super-hard HoMM2-3 custom maps, with few insanely hard puzzle-like battles which you have to cheese to win. But the Legend was just about grind and fighting similar enemy parties over and over. Even on hard it wasn't really hard, you just had to play safely, I never really had to switch my army for some encounters or change my standart tactics. Are later games different? Because this played just like the original King's Bounty, but without the time limit.

tindrli

Arcane
Well if you didnt finnish legend i dont see why would you persue next one. They are bit different but not much.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
AP: Crossworlds is one of my favourite games of all times, glad they have more plans with the franchise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom