Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

King's Bounty: Warriors of the North

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ran into a weird bug.
At some point, the monster hunt quest ran into an endless loop. After each and every combat, Van Tallinn would contact me, congratulate me on killing the final monster in the quest, and reward me accordingly. The reward can be destroyed using the artifactor skill and will yield either 6 crystals or 2 random runes.
It meant that runes became a non-issue. Reached l72 as I finished the game. Not sure what triggered this bug.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=41648

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
They just fixed a lot of things
Code:
Ice and Fire DLC Update Released
We're happy to present quite a list of improvements. 

1. Fixed dialog with the Owls. Error that allowed adding owls without active quest fixed (requires restart). 
2. Error that prevented gaining additional Runes for the creatures’ experience fixed. 
3. Hypnotized creatures that received bonuses from Empathy effect no longer gain that bonus after they have returned to their army. 
4. Error message while Miners’ attacks fixed. 
5. Druids’ description fixed. 
6. Scalds get XP for using their talents Paean and Evil Taunt. 
7. King’s griffons get XP for using the talent Heavenly Guard. 
8. Descriptions for Robbers and Marauders corrected. 
9. Steadfast Norse wrongly decreased the duration of some positive effects for players’ creatures 
10. Empathy talent duration even after the Mystics exit trance corrected. 
11. Corrected misprints in the Armor characteristics for some creatures. 
12. Witch Hunters’ talent Magic Block fixed – damage to the squad wasn’t inflicted while using non-combat talents. 
13. Some items’ descriptions corrected. 
14. Pyromages’ talent Fire Shield now correctely increases fire resistance of the affected squad. 
15. Description of Ogre's Rage effect corrected. 
16. Fixed incrorrect battlelog message that some squad gain energy instead of Contemplators. 
17. Fixed the situation when player was unable to collect some resources in Arlania because of blocked path (restart required). 
18. Jarls now gains XP for using the talent Call to Battle. 
19. Duplicated talent Sowing of the Thorn-Hunters fixed. 
20. The medal Favorite of the Valkyries now correctly increases damage of all rage abilities. 
21. Yew bow item now gives correct bonuses to Avengers and Scouts. 
22. Corrected additional damage for Contemplators when they accumulated enough energy. Conditions to activate enhanced effects for the talents decreased. 
23. Improved pathfinding on the docks in the Ice Gardens. 
24. Error that caused game crash during the turn of the AI-controlled Advisors fixed. 
25. Effects applied to Celestial Guards are removed correctly. 
26. A correct message appears when Snow Falcon trying to use their talent Ice Explosion (and there are no Ice Spikes on the battlefield). 
27. Giant Birth scroll will summon Ancient Ents instead of regular ones. 
28. It is easier to navigate in upper Demonis now. 
29. Quest 'Stone statue' can be completed in a different order now. 
30. Additional battle arenas were added to Ice Gardens. 
31. 'Monster Hunting' quest corrected (requires restart). 
32. Getting medal Favorite of the Valkyries will no longer insantly grant 4th or 5th level of it. 
33. Units will no longer erroneously skip a turn after a rage ability activation (for example, Mista's Lightning Ball). 
34. Defeating Masks in a certain quest will no longer give player too much gold. 
35. An item Chalice of Tears now grants hitpoints bonus to Mystics correctly. 
36. Price of Rune Mage bought via item Mysterious Parcel was corrected. 
37. Blind Rage medal requirements were lowered. 
38. MContemplators and Rune Mages can now target and damage static objects by their abilities Vector and Destruction. 
39. Rune Mages and Snow Falcons now receive correct bonuses from valkyre Regina. 
40. Rune Mages will no longer receive healing bonus from earned experience. 
41. Game crash caused by Catapults’ bomb explosion fixed. 
42. Some Ork units have their Adrenalin parameters modifiers corrected. 
43. Ogres can use their Throw ability on 5th level creatures now. 
44. Simon Danziker dialog corrected (previously the dialog option about Ice Gardens disappeared upon completion of the missing sailor quest). 
45. Frosty Stars item now grants defence bonus correctly. 
46. Pyromages will no longer play their animation while recieving bonus from Fire Keeper ability after they were killed. 
47. Miners will no longer receive additional turn after a successful attack under Drunken effect. 
48. Rezo will not have a certain dialog option about Marshan Swamp too early in the game. 

In addition, issues with Kamikaze crash and scrolls of the raven are fixed n the base game.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
That was fast, kudos for them.

Anyways, I'm getting close to the end of the I&F playthrough and I can say that overall the addon is mostly a bad thing. Yes the starting island is much less annoying now and the new creatures and the whole Ice Gardens plot content is quite nice.

The main problem though is that they added about 20 extra hours to the gameplay time without tweaking the overall difficulty balance. The result is your hero is absurdly overpowered halfway through the game and all the challenge is completely gone. This problem is further exacerbated by the new creature levelling system that makes especially the low tier units absolutely ridiculous by the time they got to level 5, so you're basically forced to get rid of them to keep at least some modicum of challenge. It's simply no fun when your Slingers can almost singlehandedly monster any opponent on the map.

To the WotN newcomers I'd probably recommend to give that one a pass and play the original. The three new maps are quite enjoyable but it's a high price to pay for a completely boring and pointless second half of the game.

Renegen

Arcane
I've been playing this for 30+ hours and I have to say it's the best version of KB. Crossworlds suffered from too many items, too quick level progression and too many pirates and islands. It felt like pirate popamole and it was all over too quick. The challenge so far for me has been good, been playing on Hard with a mage and the Viking islands were easier than Crossworlds, (but I hated searching the whole sea just to find that 1 pirate that was doable) but after you get to the mainland the difficulty just spiked through the roof. I feel like this version is a great middle ground between the first two games and it's just right. It also has the most content and I like the Valkyries more than any of the other Rage talents, the only problem is too many undeads to fight.

Started a game. The first island did feel a lot smoother. Don't know if that's because of the new, slightly OP units or because the difficulty has been fixed.

Like the idea of the elf island being unlocked early, but they literally did nothing to balance it so it's way overleveled for you and any fight there is entirely beyond impossible. This means that the only use you can get out of it is kiting around enemies to visit shops, which is pretty lame. I was hoping to see the whole early/mid game rebalanced so that the transition from the first 4 islands to the mainland would be smoother, but it's absolutely not. Instead I just picked up Paladins and Phoenix (holy shit is this OP at lvl 3) and tried as hard as I could not to use them for as long as possible.

This problem is further exacerbated by the new creature levelling system that makes especially the low tier units absolutely ridiculous by the time they got to level 5, so you're basically forced to get rid of them to keep at least some modicum of challenge. It's simply no fun when your Slingers can almost singlehandedly monster any opponent on the map.

The creature leveling system has actually not been that bad balance-wise. So far at level 6 I'm sitting at +4/5/6 attack (that's like +25% damage), which is hardly major compared to all the random drops and bonuses and what not. I certainly can't see how your slingers are that beastly, slingers aren't even that great of a unit. Did you just get much better level up rolls or something? Of course regardless of how OP leveling is the whole mechanic is still an offensively stupid idea.

Level 5 medals, on the other hand, holy crap. When it's not even the mid game and my units have +22% to all resistances the game is just bonkers. Who thought that adding more grind was a good idea btw? Anyone?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The creature leveling system has actually not been that bad balance-wise. So far at level 6 I'm sitting at +4/5/6 attack (that's like +25% damage), which is hardly major compared to all the random drops and bonuses and what not. I certainly can't see how your slingers are that beastly, slingers aren't even that great of a unit.

See, + 15 Attack for lvl 10 Jarls is nice addition but the same amount for maxed out Slingers, with their low Leadership requirement, is insane. Same goes for other low tier ranged units like Skeleton Archers or Thorn Hunters (I suppose maxed out Thorn Hunters would be even more ridiculous).

You can clearly see the difference when you swap your lvl 10 Slingers for similar unleveled unit. Your damage outputs just plummets.

Anyways wait for later stages of the game, then you'll probably see what I mean. I'm lvl 62 now and I haven't met much challenge since about lvl 35.

AFAIK the damage formula works out so that +1 is +5% damage no matter what you are, the only limit is that attack more than +60 over the enemy's defense doesn't count (which certainly puts a bit of a hit on rank 4/5 creatures when buffed, but otherwise won't matter). But I'm just talking about the level 5/6 numbers since that's what you mentioned, not level 10, dunno yet how insane those high levels get.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
AFAIK the damage formula works out so that +1 is +5% damage no matter what you are, the only limit is that attack more than +60 over the enemy's defense doesn't count (which certainly puts a bit of a hit on rank 4/5 creatures when buffed, but otherwise won't matter). But I'm just talking about the level 5/6 numbers since that's what you mentioned, not level 10, dunno yet how insane those high levels get.

Don't know the exact math, I'm just seeing what I'm seeing.

Btw leveling also increases crit chance, runes and the flat damage values. Besides I've maxed out the Berserker skill, which is 15% chance for double damage (although it seems to trigger a lot more often). So it was about halfway through when I started to see my beasted up Slingers crit for 140 000 damage.

I then switched them up for Cyclops but the last third of the game was such a walkover I took them back, just to wrap it all up a bit faster. Right now I'm on the last island and I beat the Invincible head honcho in a few turns without loss. I still remember that in my first WotN playthrough the Orc island was still a bit challenging so the balance in I&F must be simply off.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The current version is stop pirating and buy a copy and you'll have the current version updated.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Guessing I called the situation accurately which is why you're so :butthurt:. At least save your criminal ways for worthwhile games and not the third iteration of the same shit.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Lol @ the 'cover' art. These guys are shameless shoveling the same fucking game into another barely distinguishable package again and again.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Yeah, they really need some new ideas. Wowowo picking class now comes with cosmetic race option!
. Orcs are warriors, the Demoness is a paladin and Vampire is a mage.
Demonss is a paladin :roll:

GreyViper

Prophet
Yeah, they really need some new ideas. Wowowo picking class now comes with cosmetic race option!
. Orcs are warriors, the Demoness is a paladin and Vampire is a mage.
Demonss is a paladin :roll:
Yeah still will probably get it, Im just sucker for KB series. :/ That box art though .:what:

Last edited:
Unwanted

Kaiserian

Andhaira
Andhaira
Is this game as good as The Legend and Armored Princess?

Similar to Might & Magic atmosphere and gameplay these two games were really enjoyable. Those Paladins, Inquisitors, Black Dragons and Veteran Orcs were my favorite units!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They're all the same so if you liked those you'll like this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom