Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. It has come to this administration's attention that brofists are divisive, and encourage the formation of agenda-based brofist cliques. The RPGCodex strives to provide a welcoming forum experience for all fans of the genre, and brofists are hindering this mission's success. In light of this, brofist functionality has been removed so as to create a new, better, Codex browsing experience.

We further advise our members not to attempt circumvention of this removal by reverting to the old and just as divisive method of creating empty posts of "+1" and "what he said." Such posts only seek to further a culture of exclusion where select users may end up feeling discomfort or emotional trauma. These posts will be considered spam and thus a banable offense. The Codex administration seeks to provide a safe and secure posting environment where the needs of the minority outweigh the needs of the agenda-reproducing majority.
  2. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by DarthBehemoth, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Click here and disable ads!
    Yeah, I think you really need to play the actual world bits to get a decent impression of the game - if you're playing the tutorial bits for the very first time it's tedious, stupid, and boring. Afterwards, the only shitty part of the tutorial that remains is the screwed up art and the terrible UI/controls. Not minor, but still.

Without knowing what comes after, though, just looking at the first town, it's not as good as Div 2 (no console, no Dark Souls). Div 2 had a more polished world, a more alive world. I think there's a lot of interesting stuff in KoA but a lot of it simply feels amateur, in major part but not wholly due to the crappy visuals/controls. I'd say it's better than Two Worlds 2, but then I thought that game was simply so mediocre in every way, and was amateur in execution. Here the combat could possibly get fun after a few levels depending on how they've designed the creatures and hwo hard Hard is.
    ^ Top  
  2. Zed RPG Codex Staff

Zed
    Nope, I couldn't go on. I was having a headache because of the camera, for real. The UI and all the obligatory non-skippable tutorial bits made it take too long as well, even though I skipped everything I could. I thought I was nearing the end but then they wanted me to learn about magic as well so I just alt-f4'd.

Since everyone speaks so dearly about the post-tutorial bit then maybe I should give it another try.
    ^ Top  
  3. Raghar Magister

Raghar
    Does it have better combat than Sudeki, or not? What about magic system? Unbeatable bosses? Overpowered weapons given from the beginning?
    ^ Top  
  4. Rasputin Liturgist

Rasputin
    Yes, watching this thread I almost got a heart attack. I mean, the same people who told that Deus Ex: HR would be japanese weaboo fest because main character had something of a spiked hair. Same people who are now lapping up this mutated child of World of Warcraft. How the times have changed.

This isn't 2002 anymore. NOT. GONNA. HAPPEN
    ^ Top  
  5. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    What's with this fixation on combos? Since when did that become a huge selling point of ARPGs? This isn't Street Fighter.

Okay, that's laying it on a bit thick... If you skip past all of the cutscenes and opt out of all the dialogues on the first choice then the tutorial area is maaaaaybe fifteen minutes long. Probably not even that.
    ^ Top  
  6. MMXI Prestigious Gentleman Prophet

MMXI
    People are judging this game on criteria that I cannot comprehend. Therefore this thread should go in General Gaming.
    ^ Top  
  7. Raghar Magister

Raghar
    Why? That game has stats. It's better than Skyrim
    ^ Top  
  8. MaroonSkein Prestigious Gentleman Augur

MaroonSkein
    Much of the depth in regular action games comes from combos. It's about time ARPGs caught up.
    ^ Top  
  9. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    I thought that ARPG's where a different kind EXACTLY for having skill based attacks instead of combos...
    ^ Top  
  10. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    By 'action games' you mean arcade beat'em ups? There's a reason that 'much of the depth' in those games come from combos... it's because that's all there is in those games. Not sure why you want to conflate two different genres.
    ^ Top  
  11. Genma:TheDestroyer Liturgist

Genma:TheDestroyer
    I was actually pretty impressed with the feel of the game. Combat has the flow later Fables should have, and looking through the skill sets it'd be easy to differentiate characters, provided you aren't leveling obscenely high. I'm looking forward to this now.
    ^ Top  
  12. anus_pounder Arcane

anus_pounder
    [​IMG]

This is why I love GRPG.
    ^ Top  
  13. MaroonSkein Prestigious Gentleman Augur

MaroonSkein
    It's a flawed line of thinking because it denies ARPGs the most fun part of action games. There are ways to combine the combat of action games with an RPG-style character progression system without making this sacrifice. KoA shows one such way.
    I mean action games. Beat 'em ups is a term mainly used to refer to isometric sidescrollers like Final Fight, Streets of Rage and Double Dragon. I'm talking about games like Devil May Cry, Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden.
    That's not true. Studying the AI patterns is just as important. No matter how good your execution is, you'll get your ass kicked on your first playthrough of any action game simply because you don't know what to expect from enemies.
    I want ARPGs to borrow the best from both action games and RPGs. The action genre went beyond mindless button mashing years ago. ARPGs should do the same.
    ^ Top  
  14. Marobug Newbie

Marobug
    :what:

The fuck is a isometric sidescroller ?
    ^ Top  
  15. Cowboy Moment Arcane

Cowboy Moment
    I don't get this kind of butthurt. The DX:HR bit aside, it's not like anyone's saying the game is actually good as a whole. Everybody, me included, presumably expected it to be more awful shit with no redeeming qualities. Surprisingly though, it's an arpg with pretty decent combat (by arpg standards), a functional character system, a relatively open world, and no bits that are so absolutely fucking awful as to make it immediately unplayable. Whether the decent parts actually persist in the full game or it devloves into utter shit is yet to be seen, but for now the reaction is basically "Not as bad as we thought".

I mean srsly, your rage would be better spent on that 50 page Skyrim thread.
    ^ Top  
  16. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Gothic. No mindless button mashing there. But let's get to what's really going on here...

[​IMG]

You're an anime fan, fair enough. As such you have a proclivity to the Japanese style of 'action games' (*cough* beat-em-ups). What you really want is a J-ARPG. You seem to think that's the only way you can have good combat in an ARPG and that simply isn't the case.
    ^ Top  
  18. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Hmm. I don't know, I would have thought the "Japanese style of action games" has been pretty much Americanized by now, by the likes of Mortal Kombat (a game made by two white guys).

What's the alternative, then?
    ^ Top  
  19. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Alternative to what? 'Combos?' As already mentioned: something like Gothic or Die By the Sword (granted it isn't an ARPG). A system based on timing, blocking, and dodging and not simply chaining attacks in Guitar Hero fashion.

Edited to add: Dark Souls is another example. The combat in that game is not based around chaining combos but defensive posturing, evading attacks, and making your own attack at an opportune time.
    ^ Top  
  20. MMXI Prestigious Gentleman Prophet

MMXI
    That's oblique, not isometric. :smug:
    ^ Top  
  21. Cowboy Moment Arcane

Cowboy Moment
    I'd assume the alternative would be to have more deliberate, slow-paced and "realistic" melee combat - take Gothic, Dark Souls, or most notably Blade of Darkness as examples. I don't think this was ever really done in a pure action game though.

Man, I wish someone could make another Blade of Darkness. Would be hilarious to see Dark Souls fanboys complain about the combat being too hard. :obviously:
    ^ Top  
  22. MaroonSkein Prestigious Gentleman Augur

MaroonSkein
    Agreed. I like Gothic.
    Except I'm not. The avatar's from an RPG. A Japanese one, certainly, but that doesn't make me an anime fan. Anime fans watch anime, and I don't.
    I have a fondness for Japanese action games because barely anyone else makes action games. America and Europe are all about shooters. Sure, there's God of War, there's Heavenly Sword, but they aren't particularly good, and they're heavily influenced by Japanese games anyway.
    Piranha Bytes games are another way. The Souls games are yet another one.
    ^ Top  
  23. MMXI Prestigious Gentleman Prophet

MMXI
    No offence or anything but shooters are action games.
    ^ Top  
  24. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    And... as I said, ARPGs have already 'caught up.' The ones that have just don't use the 'combo' style you're looking for. The ones that haven't are just mediocre to poor games. Fable 1 wouldn't be made any more challenging by having combo attacks.
    ^ Top  
  25. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Ahn...and every game is an RPG because you play as an character?
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)