Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Because the alternative is dating virtual disabled girls for me. Downloading.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I don't want to hear what is fixed or made less shitty. I want to hear why would anyone play this damn game.

"Kiss me, Shepard"

2118785-2118783-chobot_super.jpg

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
What's the word on the game world? Does it open up, or is the whole thing a series of indoor/outdoor corridors like the demo?
They're all zones connected by corridors. Most of them are about the same size, and there's decent variety - some are vast, rolling plains, some are fairly thick woods, some are craggy passes with cliffs, etc. Despite the marketing, though, this is not really an open-world game - sure, it is technically, but I haven't found any reasons to return to previous locations. It's not linear by any means (past the opening areas you can end up going one of several directions) but it's not an Elder Scrolls game either.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What's the word on the game world? Does it open up, or is the whole thing a series of indoor/outdoor corridors like the demo?
They're all zones connected by corridors. Most of them are about the same size, and there's decent variety - some are vast, rolling plains, some are fairly thick woods, some are craggy passes with cliffs, etc. Despite the marketing, though, this is not really an open-world game - sure, it is technically, but I haven't found any reasons to return to previous locations. It's not linear by any means (past the opening areas you can end up going one of several directions) but it's not an Elder Scrolls game either.

So it's kind of like a less linear Dungeon Siege? Ie, more like "seamless world" than "open world"?

Heresiarch

Prophet
Finished download the game, and will play for this month, because I've nothing else that's fun to play.

I don't want to hear what is fixed or made less shitty. I want to hear why would anyone play this damn game.

Well, I can give two reasons:

1. Because it's not exactly THAT bad a game? Though it's a ARPG with the jack-of-all-trade concept stretched to the extreme, some of its gaming elements are pretty good even compared to a pure action OR rpg. Its non-combat skills like persuasion seems to have very noticable effects (the very first persuade attempt gave one character with no persuasion skill a 5% of success rate, while the other character of +2 persuade skill has fucking 95%; and you can make such checks wth only one attempt), its combat skills all have VERY noticable effects and many unlock new moves, dungeon crawling seems to be brutal and fun due to traps, because: 1. traps are EVERYWHERE; 2. traps are hard to spot (no "TRAP" word popping up even if you mouse over it); 3. There's no health-regen and traps HURT. Combat wise it's fast and furious and fun.

Some people complain that the combat is worse than true action games, the dialogues are terrible, the exploration parts are worse than TES etc, but that's like complaining that a tablet is shit because it's sucking at mobility compared to a mobile and it's shitty at true PC gaming compared to a true PC.

2. Because even if you ARGH MUST HATE all the things of it, it's still undeniable that KoA is a pretty unique game that can attract people to play with. I've finished quite a few games from last year till now including RPG like Skyrim, Morrowind, DX: HR (hurr yeah it's an RPG), Twitcher2, Torchlight, even MM6, and action games like Alice 2, Arkham City. I WANT to play something that is something of a combination of Action + RPG, but action in Skyrim and Twitcher 2 is a fucking joke compared to Alice 2 and Arkham City, while the latters don't even have true NPC and towns and dungeons for me to RPG with. And since I don't have a console, I can't play Dark/Demo Souls.

So KoA actually managed to satisfy my need to have a fantasy setting game to play that there's tons of dialogues (even though they're mostly shit), tons of equipment, an interesting skill system, a VERY interesting combat system with dozens of weapon + skill combos to play with, and last but not the least, the combat IS harder and more player skill based than all the other "serious" RPG I've played so far (and I'm a veteran Monster Hunter player btw). There's not many games that allows you to mix up warrior/rogue/magic combos like using your staff's special attack to attract a bunch of enemies in one spot and then drop a meteor on them, or first cast 3 remote bombs on different monsters, then use your main sword to smack them into the air, then switch to your bow to pepper them while they're afloat, then finally trigger the explosions.

BTW, people who say button mashing is the key to victory in this game is so full of Skyway. On hard difficulty, the rock troll club smash can hit you for 25% health if you get hit while 15% if you block, and has a huge reach. His flying stone attack is very hard to dodge and can only reliably avoided by blocking. He also has a uninterruptible hand smack attack to use if you keep clickfesting on him, so you must observe its action and dodge in advance, or it'll be too late. And that's only a TUTORIAL boss. Even regular mobs aren't a pushover, they LOVE ganging up on you while you're happily comboing on one of them. You can try to kill two wolves with just the awesum button without any dodge and block, and watch how much health you'll lose and how many full combos you can actually perform without being interrupted.

PS: The game don't have auto-regen either, even killing stuff won't drop green balls to heal you like GOW/DMC do. That alone is a :incline:

Heresiarch

Prophet

So it's kind of like a less linear Dungeon Siege? Ie, more like "seamless world" than "open world"?

It's actually more like WOW. Each different zones have something to seamlessly connect each other, like a passage or a valley. Each zone by itself is a decently sized area with different dungeons and hidden places to explore. It's no Elder Scrolls, but more like a traditional RPG just with more places to freely explore. You may think it as how the maps and areas of MM6/7 work.

Wulfstand

Prophet
The game looks so bland and boring, like your typical fantasy setting. You've also got those azn huge-ass,flamed/rainbow-colored weapons, same goes for the armors. Fable instantly comes to mind whenever I look at it, and no way am I playing anything resembling that. I'd rather replay fucking DA:O than this.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It's actually more like WOW. Each different zones have something to seamlessly connect each other, like a passage or a valley. Each zone by itself is a decently sized area with different dungeons and hidden places to explore. It's no Elder Scrolls, but more like a traditional RPG just with more places to freely explore. You may think it as how the maps and areas of MM6/7 work.
What? Maybe Vanilla WOW man, every region after allows you to fly over and explore every inch. At least the DEMO region in KoA is a maze of corridors, not much different from Fable.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Yeah the setting can turn off people. I almost puked when I got out of the tutorial dungeon and right into my eyes were flowers and grasses and trees and waterfall and river and cute gnomes.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
It's also worth pointing out that the lack of regeneration gives serious credence to potions and healing skills. Alchemy is basically necessary early on if only because otherwise healing is very expensive. Money in this game comes quickly and frequently but it is also consumed equally quickly (even repairs have a habit of draining 1/4 of my income), and if you want to buy health potions you'll be spending thousands of gold doing so. Potions are a bit of an "I win" button in the sense that they usually heal you up quite a bit, but at the same time you go through them extremely quickly, and if you don't have a consistent way to stock up, you will be screwed. This actually means you have to learn how to play the game better rather than just do the standard back to town spiel, because it stops working at higher levels. In fact I would say overall that the non-combat skills are very well-balanced at least early on, and all have their potential uses right out of the gate.

If I have one complaint about the game outside of controls/UI/camera, it's that it's maybe a bit too centered on combat for my liking. Quests never really have non-combat solutions (unless they're just fetch quests), and basically all the skills are built to enhance combat options (either more loot or new tactics). That's not really a bad thing but I still haven't decided if combat alone is enough to sustain the game, especially as there are parts where the game likes to throw the same two enemies at you over and over again for hours. I prefer my RPGs to be a little more about the "what" rather than the "how" as far as play-style goes.

EDIT: And yeah, S&M elves made me facepalm.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The world is about as 'open' as World of Warcraft. Technically you can go anywhere but progression is obviously funneled through certain zones -- there is no reason to go back once you've cleared them out. Not surprising considering they're turning this brand into an MMO.

DraQ

Arcane
Yeah the setting can turn off people. I almost puked when I got out of the tutorial dungeon and right into my eyes were flowers and grasses and trees and waterfall and river and cute gnomes.
And this is much bigger problem for me than any shortcomings of combat or other systems. Because while I can appreciate good mechanics I ultimately need a reason to care - interesting characters OR interesting world OR interesting story OR interesting atmosphere OR at least interesting lulz.

If I don't care I won't play.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Then crawl back to and enjoy your Moronwind wonderland you elitist bastard :smug:

j/k

anus_pounder

Arcane
Acquired the unofficial version. Combat seems pretty fun. It veers between button mash easy and roll-strategy-magic-arsenal combat, though. Still, even when facing the really easy enemies, it pays to roll and/or block. This is doubly important because enemies can do quite a bit of damage, plate male be damned.

The main complaint is that so far there doesn't seem to be anything to the game beyond the fairly interesting combat system. Apparently the game has 100+ hours of content ? Applying the usual by-half rule, thats still 50 hours of gameplay there. I'm not sure I can stomach 50-100 hours of this combat, to be quite frank.

I think a score of 6-8 would be the best thing here. The combat system is certainly interesting, though I'm not sure why people are going lolwitcher2 ? I'm several hours in and the combat seems to be only slightly more complicated than Witcher 2. W2 minus quen seems very similar to this game. Roll, block and jump in, slash a few times, jump out. Circle around the enemy, use spells to weaken. If anything KoA just seems to have a slightly more complex battle system in the sense that Archery and Full Mage are fully fledged options, as opposed to support like W2.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Are you being sarcastic or something?
2r606du.gif
Nah, pretty sure he's serious. And while he'd just have to read what he wrote and comprehend the meaning to see the ridiculousness of it; bragging about pirating and playing a game for the full 100+ hours without the slightest intention of buying it is pretty shitty. One can always hope that that was only said to troll Metro...

DraQ

Arcane
Then crawl back to and enjoy your Moronwind wonderland you elitist bastard :smug:

j/k
I have Skyrim to finish (and determine whether I like it more than I'm butthurt by excessive dumbing down), Daggerfall to finish or restart, temporarily abandoned Wiz8 ironman run to finish, Wiz6>8 run to start, BG series I have to play through, Arcanum, LoL1, BaK and some nonRPGs (including SS2 for the first time as a psionic and community upgrade of RTNP). And that's either the stuff I haven't played at all, haven't completed this particular way (SS2 as psion, Wiz8 ironman) or played, then abandoned for nonspecific reasons (LoL1, BG - ok it's shit but I persevered to the moment it started being mildly interesting, so I can do this provided a lot of beer, DF). Add replays of various stuff I have played already (Morrowind, DKS, Witcher 2 on high settings) and I'm stocked up.

I'm not desperate and don't need to play a game with shitty setting I don't care about illustrated by graphics with shitty art direction I don't care for only because combat or something is supposedly better than expected.
:obviously:

I'm going to buy Dragon Commader (it should've stayed Dragon Armada, honestly), because I'm almost certain I can count on quality entertainment, some quality lulz and maybe even quality gameplay, plus I like it when devs attempt something different than rehashes of genre archetypes. And I want to be a dragon. With jetpack.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Are you being sarcastic or something?
2r606du.gif

Not really. See, I have nothing against people who pirate from companies that sorta deserve it (BioWhore, Bethesda), but this is BHG's first RPG, and I think they should get a chance to get a foothold into the RPG market. By pirating the fuck out of it without buying it later, will only suffocate the last remaining independent devs into death, and what's left are only EA & Co., shitty Hollywood games with draconian DRM.

made

Arcane
Indeed. It's much preferable to buy the game, no matter how shitty it may be, in order to give BHG a chance to be bought out by EA (who happens to be the publisher) and churn out Amalur sequels on a yearly basis.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom