Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
cZAms.jpg

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
*sigh* they brought in a D&D writer, creator of Spawn and this is the best they can come up with?

A game set in the kingdom that is worth saving. For fuck sake, why cant' we destroy the world instead? Break the convention fuckers. Not everyone aspires to be a hero in games. Especially when you discovered that YOU CAN RISE FROM THE GRAVE OMFG. DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS? YOU WANT TO SAVE THE WORLD? YOU FAGGOT! YOU UNIMAGINATIVE FAGGOT! DIE WITH A PEN STABBED THROUGH YOUR EYES.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
You are asking too much of shitty game developers. The guys make a game where you play as one of the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse, WAR! Fuck yeah! And how is the game? A Zelda clone where you save the world....

I've played through the demo, and I can say that it's good for what it is: a hack n' slash without an isometric camera which has a stiffie for itself.

Perhaps if they tried to act a LITTLE MORE SERIOUS next time they wouldn't get their graphical engine carved up by Heath Ledger.

"Well of souls"... give me a fucking break.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Bunch of interviews with Amalur personnel: http://www.ultimaaiera.com/blog/big-huge-wednesdays/

Ken Rolston said:
That would be bitter… because I was always a hardcore PC gamer, and had to be dragged, kicking and screaming, from the PC towards the Xbox for Morrowind. I credit Todd Howard with the Genuine Visionary Lunacy to inspire that transition, and I am ashamed that Tood often had to drag me along behind him, on his Pilgrimage to the Promised Land.

:hmmm:

PC MASTER RACE TRAITOR!

:mob:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've played through the demo, and I can say that it's good for what it is: a hack n' slash without an isometric camera which has a stiffie for itself.

Perhaps if they tried to act a LITTLE MORE SERIOUS next time they wouldn't get their graphical engine carved up by Heath Ledger.

"Well of souls"... give me a fucking break.

There's actually a "Well of Souls" in Ultima VII (in haunted Skara Brae).

Heresiarch

Prophet
Played the demo. Pretty GFWII.

The post processing with all the bloom and doom can really melt eyes, but thanks to the art direction (which I hate), it must be turned on to make the world look "right". The textures are all awful, even your character in the pause menu looks very blurry. Other than these, the game look pretty WOWish, with some small incline (male characters look slightly better, gnomes look slightly less cartoonish, shoulder armour looks smaller, etc).

On the gameplay, I like it so far. It's really a mix of TES, WOW, Divinity II, Fable, Gothic, and MASS EFFECT, and fucking GOD OF WAR. It's actually like a single player WOW that have a combat system that require skilz (i.e. God of War/DMC) with character interaction complete with Bioware's dialogue wheel, mixed in with some good TES/Gothic like exploration.

The combat is not too bad, it's more complicated/flashy than Gothic (so if Gothic's action is the max you can tolerate in a RPG, then you'll have problem playing this), but far less punishing than GOW/DMC/NG (at the very least you can drink potions). It's more like Alice 2 and the recent WH20k action game. And it's MUCH better than Twitcher 2 and Two Worlds, especally the responsiveness. Using skills and mixing them with your combos is fluid and easy, and you must master them well because the difficulty is not THAT easy. The soldiers I needed to kill in the beginning were jokes that can be killed with button mashing, but once I met the first boss I was pleasantly surprised when I found that I must use various ways to dodge/block its various attacks, as it hits HARD and FAST. And the kobolds in the mine were very brutal, those with a little distance away will attack you with fast ranged attacks, and those close to you will attack you with COMBOS. If you want to kill them with simple clickfest you'll get killed fast, you really must now how, where and when to dodge.

The game sure has tons of dialogues in it, which isn't a bad thing, although so far the majority of them are purely for fluffs, and most of the voice acting are awful. I won't expect the plot to be deep or what, but if it's at least on par of Two Worlds 1 I'll find it fine.

The world seems pretty big, and there are lots of little and not-so-little things hidden everywhere, so exploration should be fun. Although it seems to be extremely WOW-ish designed. The first area after the tutorial is almost an Elwynn Forest ripoff - big forest with Defias bandits roaming around...

The game have some problems here and there, I got some serious hickups during battles in the forest, the music doesn't always play (maybe it's designed like that, but I find the game too quiet if that's working as intended), sometimes textures will get borked up, and the UI is fucking bad, it's even worse than Skyrim for fuck sake. Some of the consolish controls makes me facepalm - press 3 to switch between local and world map? BTW, there's a fast way to quit the game menu without pressing ESC for 3-4 times - a single "I" will work.

I've deleted the demo even though I've 30 minutes left to play, not because I hated it, but because I liked it. I want to preserve the excitement playing it when the full version comes out, not really acquiring it from an inventory though...

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
AWESOME trailer

"In a world like no other"

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Good enough thread as any to dump this IGN(orant) preview: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1216517p1.html
It's arcadey, to be sure, but when you compare it to the three popular fantasy RPGs of our time -- Skyrim, Dark Souls and Dragon Age -- Reckoning easily outclasses all of them in the gameplay department. The competition isn't even remotely close in any respect.
Just sad.
In general, enemies seem to scale to your own strength, but only to a degree. When going through parts of the map that you conquered early on in the game, you'll find that enemies are perhaps a bit stronger, but are actually giving you less experience points then they did before.
The game selects which enemy it thinks you want to attack when you're using ranged weapons or spells, though you can sometimes tweak the camera with the analog stick to switch over to another enemy in the horde you're fighting.
I can't even comprehend why they thought these were good ideas.
Reckoning doesn't place considerable emphasis on choice, which is something not everyone is going to be a fan of. But I like this system, since it gives you an admittedly more static and predictable experience, which I feel there's a place for in the greater WRPG market. That's not to say you don't make choices and decisions in the game -- because you do -- but it is to say that you shouldn't go in expecting the sheer amount of choice-and-consequence that you'd find in a game like Mass Effect.
:M
Honestly, I wouldn't recommend it if you're new to RPGs. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is a deep, dense and incredibly time-consuming game. As a result, it's definitely not a good game for someone who wants to see if RPGs are their thing or not. The combat is definitely far more refined than its contemporaries (whether we're talking about Dragon Age, Skyrim or Dark Souls), and gameplay is indeed king. But everything else about the game might be too daunting for an RPG newbie. Then again, I can't really think what a good example of a starter RPG is... so maybe this game is just as good for such an endeavor as any other
Guys... guys...

RPGs still aren't accessible enough.

Deleted member 7219

IGN turned full retard years ago, their opinions aren't worth a shit these days.

In general, enemies seem to scale to your own strength, but only to a degree. When going through parts of the map that you conquered early on in the game, you'll find that enemies are perhaps a bit stronger, but are actually giving you less experience points then they did before.
o_O

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend it if you're new to RPGs. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is a deep, dense and incredibly time-consuming game. As a result, it's definitely not a good game for someone who wants to see if RPGs are their thing or not. The combat is definitely far more refined than its contemporaries (whether we're talking about Dragon Age, Skyrim or Dark Souls), and gameplay is indeed king. But everything else about the game might be too daunting for an RPG newbie. Then again, I can't really think what a good example of a starter RPG is... so maybe this game is just as good for such an endeavor as any other

So is it or is it not, you fucker? And what's so daunting about crafting and blacksmithing, or fucking specialization trees? Pressing buttons is hard? Skyrim had that, and from what I hear it is the greatest feat Man has achieved, for it's beautiful and complex world and wonderful accessibility. So what's different here?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I guess we've found the intended audience of ME3's "Story Mode" - IGN's editorial staff.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It's arcadey, to be sure, but when you compare it to the three popular fantasy RPGs of our time -- Skyrim, Dark Souls and Dragon Age -- Reckoning easily outclasses all of them in the gameplay department. The competition isn't even remotely close in any respect.
FUCK YOU!

Heresiarch

Prophet
AWESOME trailer

"In a world like no other"

I hate trailers like this.
"RPG" trailer full of hack & slashes & awesum animations like pretending it's another DMC/NG/GOW.
Mixed with HUGE ARMIES but in fact those exist only in cutscenes and the real battles consist of only at most half a dozen monsters.
And finally, the trailer ALWAYS end with IT'S GONNA BLOW! RUN! JUUUMMMP---

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I hate trailers like this.
"RPG" trailer full of hack & slashes & awesum animations like pretending it's another DMC/NG/GOW.
Mixed with HUGE ARMIES but in fact those exist only in cutscenes and the real battles consist of only at most half a dozen monsters.
And finally, the trailer ALWAYS end with IT'S GONNA BLOW! RUN! JUUUMMMP---
I enjoyed the trailer, showed me that I already did everything the game has to offer on the first 10 minutes of the demo. :lol:

there's no piracy on consoles

7741la6_19.jpeg

Stinger

Arcane
...you shouldn't go in expecting the sheer amount of choice-and-consequence that you'd find in a game like Mass Effect.

From a different IGN preview for Amalur:

Choices may direct you into different conversation branches and give the game a fresh feeling, but making the wrong choice won't cut out a piece of content for you like Fallout 3 and New Vegas so infamously did.

Make up your fucking mind!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom