Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning?

DarthBehemoth

Learned
Just discovered it today. Are any of you guys gonna buy it? I heard has a pretty impressive development team.

Chuck Norris

Augur
Just discovered it today. Are any of you guys gonna buy it? I heard has a pretty impressive development team.
Were you living under a rock bro? M:
Anyway, this game exactly reminds of me of Two Worlds. A game that is not necessarily bad, but doesn't deserve all the time and effort it expects you to dedicate to it. In other words, a waste of time. Also the art style looks awful. They really have gone far with it. A major turn off for me personally.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Turd McFarlane's craptastic art and R.A Salvabore's "writing" will probably put me off from this game unless the combat is really, really good.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Oblivion + World of Warcraft - MMO = Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The game has some promise and I'm interested to see how their vision of an "RPG without the RPG" will pan out. The art style is mixed (good environments, but characters are ehgh), and overall I get a really strong Fable vibe from the game, which could be a good or a bad thing depending on how it ultimately plays. I doubt it'll be the hardcore RPG anyone's waiting for, but it could be a fun diversion if the combat holds up well.

DarthBehemoth

Learned
So far I haven't heard anything about the plot and characters, though the gameplay looks decent (about the same 'quality' of DA2)

MaroonSkein

Augur
(about the same 'quality' of DA2)
That's just not true. Trailers have already showed that there's plenty of depth to the combo system. Even if the AI turns out to be completely passive, even if the game completely lacks any challenge, I know I'll have at least some fun just experimenting with various attacks and finding out what combos and what doesn't. There's nothing fun about combat in BioWare games.

DarthBehemoth

Learned
That's just not true. Trailers have already showed that there's plenty of depth to the combo system. Even if the AI turns out to be completely passive, even if the game completely lacks any challenge, I know I'll have at least some fun just experimenting with various attacks and finding out what combos and what doesn't. There's nothing fun about combat in BioWare games.

After rewatching the combat trailer I have to agree with you. My previous comment makes no sense now. The combat is looking better than I'd initially thought

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Looks like fable if you ask me. Demo coming in about a week supposedly, so I guess we'll find out then.

Xi

Arcane
Oblivion + World of Warcraft - MMO = Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

You know, WoW's combat system was actually pretty damned good. It's gone through many iterations, but it's about as good as a game can get in the action RPG combat department. It would be fantastic to see a single player cRPG use a system like it. Honestly, that would be a plus.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Too bad it uses behind-the-ass camera. Looks especially stupid when your character tries to be stealthy. Almost as stupid as that oversized hammer.

Stinger

Arcane
The combat looks like it could potentially be fun and the story premise kinda gave me a PST vibe at first.

But apart from that I don't really expect it to be any good.

Also, Origin.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Origin is rather nice to use, unless there is something disgusting I haven't seen yet.

Anyway, so far I have failed to get interested by this game. Yet Another ARPG. Apart from Diablo 3, and I still stay cautious with that one, I'm not looking to any of them. I enjoy them once in a while, especially when I want a bit of action/exploration and they are strongly discounted, but it's not like there is a shortage of that genre.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Too bad it uses behind-the-ass camera. Looks especially stupid when your character tries to be stealthy. Almost as stupid as that oversized hammer.

You mean like the camera position in the Gothic series? Of all the complaints to be levied at this game camera position/angle isn't one of them. At least it isn't the standard console over the shoulder crap.

Unfortunately it looks a little bit too much like Fable in terms of game play/design.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
You mean like the camera position in the Gothic series? Of all the complaints to be levied at this game camera position/angle isn't one of them. At least it isn't the standard console over the shoulder crap.

Over the shoulder or behind the ass makes no indifference to me. I can't stand 3rd person view in a single character open 3D game world. In a Role Playing Game I want to be the character, not some puppet master remotely controling it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
In a Role Playing Game I want to be the character...

Well, there's the difference then. I play RPGs for the core elements of the genre: C&C, mutually exclusive character builds, steady character progression, exploration, and -- in an ARPG -- challenging combat; not to e-LARP as a character.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Well, there's the difference then. I play RPGs for the core elements of the genre: C&C, mutually exclusive character builds, steady character progression, exploration, and -- in an ARPG -- challenging combat; not to e-LARP as a character.

Well, I like those elements too, but I prefer to explore and conquer the world from my character's view point, not from som arbitrary point behind his shoulder or ass. Ultima Underworld was the first single player RPG in true 3D, and is still the most perfect single character RPG in my opinion.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I'm glad that you take that serious approach to RPG's, one that isn't unfortunately given much consideration in these troubled times. Have you considered these fine practices carefully designed to enhance your roleplaying experience?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom