Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Cryengine environments always have that, in my perception, realistic lighting, I don'T know, but UE4 always looks a bit more artificial.

Lockpicking minigame – I like their reasoning to make it abstract, but why not discard mini games completely?

NPCs aren't reacting to the player at all, but ok, it's an alpha.

The quests seem to be really generic for now.

But I'm still looking forward to it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I hope real combat will be better than that training from the video. I would expect one hit on an unprotected head to finish the combat instantly.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Well, you can always chop someone's nose, jaw, or ears. Lets say that 95% of hits to the head are finishing the combat instantly. All the other ones MIGHT finish it, but as well might not.
I've seen a historical reenactment guy getting his nose chopped off. He was so high on adrenaline, that he haven't even realized that he basicly lost half of his nose until his opponent stopped fighting. Losing a jaw is definitely more harsh, but I assume there might be a possibility that someone will actually keep fighting after that. At least for a little while.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, you can always chop someone's nose, jaw, or ears. Lets say that 95% of hits to the head are finishing the combat instantly. All the other ones MIGHT finish it, but as well might not.
I've seen a historical reenactment guy getting his nose chopped off. He was so high on adrenaline, that he haven't even realized that he basicly lost half of his nose until his opponent stopped fighting. Losing a jaw is definitely more harsh, but I assume there might be a possibility that someone will actually keep fighting after that. At least for a little while.

Losing a nose, an ear, half the jaw or a cheek is "fine", adrenaline and all that. What's really an insta-finisher are direct hits (sword, mace, stick, brick, stone, knee, whatever) to an unarmoured skull. Even without actually bashing the skull in, if not instakill, people at the very least would black-out/instafaint from it. Brain concussion FTW.

valcik

Arcane
Hussite leader Zizka has lost his friggin' eye after being hit in the skull, guys. He lost his second eye later too, so he continued to command his army completely blind. Instagib simply doesn't work against Hussites, it's pretty tricky to bring them down!
http://www.badassoftheweek.com/zizka.html
:yeah:

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hussite leader Zizka has lost his friggin' eye after being hit in the skull, guys. He lost his second eye later too, so he continued to command his army completely blind. Instagib simply doesn't work against Hussites, it's pretty tricky to bring them down!

Still doesn't beat that guy who survived, with injuries, Hiroshima, and dutifully kept going to work the following days. In Nagasaki. And survived that too. He died in 2010, well into his 90s. Molon labe, KWA, Tsutomu can take whatever shit you throw at him.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I doubt he kept fighting after being hit.
We are talking about how in the video you fight a guy without a helmet and hope in final game in real battle (not training) you can drop enemy without a helmet with one hit to his head. If that enemy survives that somehow it is not relevant anymore.

Got bored and left

Well, there are some historical accounts of people sustaining pretty harsh injuries (like losing an arm, for example) and continuing to fight regardless. And then we have some accounts of people not being able to do anything after receiving relatively minor wounds, so it all depends I guess. But yeah, those are exceptions, and in first person video game land, a hit to the head should probably (at least 9 times out of 10) mean death or at least crippling injury, just for the sake of simplicity and consistency. Unless enemies can have some pretty amazeballs stats, in which case anything goes, I suppose.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
How many people are actually going to fight with unarmored heads in this game? A helmet has been the most basic piece of armor since ancient times, and this game seems to be about soldiers fighting rather than tavern brawls.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
How many people are actually going to fight with unarmored heads in this game? A helmet has been the most basic piece of armor since ancient times, and this game seems to be about soldiers fighting rather than tavern brawls.
This. Going to battle without a helmet was basically a suicide. A bounced piece of arrow could kill you in an instant. The problem with the best helmets like bascinet is you literally can't see shit. I think Vavra mentioned you could take off your helmet for better vision - at a much greater risk. Which I approve.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Apparently the enemy in the video does :)

norolim

Arcane
That, as you noticed, was a trainer, a spring partner not an enemy. No dmg was dealt in that duel.

Darkzone

Arcane
That, as you noticed, was a trainer, a spring partner not an enemy. No dmg was dealt in that duel.
I have no problem with this, but perhaps they should equip the trainer with some form of helmet just for this people who are pissing them self about this fact. Also this helmet thing is not that easy, many knight had pulled of their helmets during battle, because it was difficult to breath in some models especially if they were on foot. And many knights fell unconscious during battle, because the helmet did not let enough air through the holes. Many knight fought with open visor, because they needed the air and a clear field of vision. The bassinet helmet was made especially for the knights with a pig face just for the sake of air. Closed helmets have been nearly always used due to this fact by horse riding groups like Knights or Pistol armed riders like the Cuirassiers. Troops with lower social status had to rely on their lord to provide them with armors and rarely they had some armor or helmet. Krim Tatars as an example had rarely armors and helmets. And even the poles with their husars in 1650s had rarely armor and helmets. But this was due to the lost battles and in 1670s they were already very well armored. But the early hussars in the early 1520s which were mostly serbs from the balkan had only a fur hat and not a helmet. The arabic riders had also only 50% of the time helmets but more often only turbans, turks also. Famous janissaries depiction also shows them without helmets and this even in battles.
Overall the czechs we're not poor (i would even state quite rich) in this times (before the hussite wars), so all of the regular troops and knights should have helmets, but conscripted or levy troops not.

Last edited:

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
A forest that actually looks like a forest. Huh.

Problem is in Middle Ages there actually weren't that many forests, just freely standing in the freeware countryside. The richest lords had some, as their private hunting grounds, but other than that everything was cut down for firewood or timber.

I guess they decided to pass on that particular historical detail so we won't be running around the virtual equivalent of Ukraine - fields, fields and more fields.
Actually there were forests in the area the game is set. However nobody knows where they were exactly in 1403 so we are
1) respecting the first proper maps from early 18th century
2) and altering it slightly for purpose of visuals and and game design

A bigger sin on our part is the fact that medieval forests were very well mantained, even more than the forest you have in Central Europe today. But such forests are too boring to look at. What we do respect however is the composition of tree species.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom