Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tradition is a meaningless word.

Mount and Blades plays such that there is a limited amount of narrative, but there's always a story. It is a sandbox game, but that doesn't mean you play idly with sand castles - every faction is controlled in a specific way by the AI. They battle with each other, take prisoners, have to deal with bandit raids and the royals have to take brides. You can just be a dick bandit and go around and have your fun, or you can get involved in getting your own fief, or conquering another nation. The sandbox gameplay is driven by a good amount of simulation, such that organic stories develop.

Saying that isn't a "traditional story" is part of the reason why so many games suck these days.

Until M&B's simulationist approach to design can provide the kind of narrative Fallout New Vegas/Vampire Bloodlines/Deus Ex/Tormen/Witcher 2/etc provides, the word "traditional" will not be meaningless.
I am looking forward to the day it happens, but I am not sure it will be anytime soon. And until then, I will always prefer "traditional" human mindcrafted RPGs over pure sandboxes like M&B.

Also, Mount and Blade has some mechanics set in place that make the whole thing rather boring and minimize actual things that can change. Named characters can only be captured, never killed, for example. Cities are usually static and don't change much during the course of the game- It doesn't even halfway reach the simulation complexity of a strategy game like Crusader Kings or even Total War.

set

Cipher
But it's even worse in a narrative game. Who can you kill in Skyrim? New Vegas is way better about it, but the cities there are even more static (and can only be affected in scripted ways anyway).

Narrative games like DE or VTMB or NV are great at making you /think/ you drove the story. That's all.

Last edited:

Paul_cz

Arcane
But it's even worse in a narrative game. Who can you kill in Skyrim? New Vegas is way better about it, but the cities there are even more static (and can only be affected in scripted ways anyway).

Narrative games like DE or VTMB or NV are great at making you /think/ you drove the story. That's all.
So what ? To me what matters is the quality of the story. And handcrafted games offer that in higher quality than systemdriven ones.
But feel free preferring systemdriven ones yourself, market can sustain both approaches.
I am glad KCD will be more like FNV and less like M&B when it comes to story though.

"Tradition" is meaningless - stories have existed for as long as humans have. There are more ways to tell a story than characters reading lines for a script. Let's not use a toxic word like that to describe attempts at moving beyond "cinematic story telling" - which is not a tradition even in the realm of video games.

semantics, whatever.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

But at least they have story, and quests, which M&B sadly lacks. It's better to have a pre-written story with at least some cosmetic consequences, than to have a rather static world that never changes much and is just a sandbox, which M&B mostly is.
I'd be much happier with it if it had more strategy game elements and the gameworld would actually change more.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-04-02-kingdom-come-deliverance-delayed-until-2016

Kingdom Come: Deliverance delayed until summer 2016
Beta due later this year on Steam Early Access.

Non-fantasy medieval RPG Kingdom Come: Deliverance has been delayed until summer 2016, developer Warhorse Studios has announced.

It was originally targeting a December 2015 release, but it's falling behind schedule. Then again, the scope of the game increased dramatically as Warhorse was initially looking for $300K and ended up with over $2.3m.

"Although we make great progress every month, there is still a lot of work ahead of us," said Warhorse's Jiří Rýdl. "We feel obliged to our backers to deliver the game with promised stretch goals in the best quality, thus we have decided to postpone the release date to summer 2016."

"We have made a great progress in 2014 as you can see in the last video update, we doubled our staff, moved to new offices, built a motion capture studio, released technology alpha, finished the quests documentation, made bigger map, implemented AI, prepared assets for new locations, tested the console versions, made first original music tracks and much more," he added. Clearly Warhorse has been busy.

In the meantime, those who've pledged at least $45 can enjoy the technical alpha, which now has a lock-picking mini-game, new quests, and temporary voice acting.

A beta is due later this year, and Warhorse noted that it would like to bring this to Steam Early Access to get more feedback.

Kingdom Come director Daniel Vavra said in the latest video update that he'd like to make the beta encompass about the first quarter of the game, ala Wasteland 2.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, no surprise there, world peace was more likely to happen on December 2015.

I've never had any problems with delays though, better than releasing bugged trash. It's just what's even the point of setting release dates years ahead? Blizzard never did this and they seem to be doing just fine.

Paul_cz

Arcane
The delay was obvious to anyone with a brain. More interesting info for me is the E3 alpha, finally it will have early version of combat and stealth, I am curious to try that out. New village is nice to have too.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I guess this thing will be more enjoyable than the latest crap Piranha Bytes have been shitting out, so yeah, looking forward to this.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Some new pics. Compare this to the oversaturated, overcoloured, overcontrasted Witcher 3.

11169717_1611956252382745_118976359756842650_o.jpg

10012206_1611956242382746_9092879466548003611_o.jpg

11206861_1611956249049412_5100601683228479864_o.jpg

11154992_1611956245716079_1122074613029802282_o.jpg

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Even if all else fails the game seems to be poised to be the best tracking simulator evar.

Copper

Savant
Depends on whether or not there's copy-pasted trios of bandits lurking behind every tree

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Been looking forward to this game for a while. Anyone have any idea how deep/complex the RPG mechanics will be?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Been looking forward to this game for a while. Anyone have any idea how deep/complex the RPG mechanics will be?

Only Warhorse. And they're not telling yet. They're releasing a big alpha update at E3 with most of the game features but beats me if it also includes character development. My secret tip is Elder Scrolls continuous system instead of XP based, due to Warhorse's obsession with everything as realistic and tactile as possible.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron

Only Warhorse. And they're not telling yet. They're releasing a big alpha update at E3 with most of the game features but beats me if it also includes character development. My secret tip is Elder Scrolls continuous system instead of XP based, due to Warhorse's obsession with everything as realistic and tactile as possible.

So...low fantasy Morrowind? If they manage to DELIVER said game...

:takemymoney:

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
So...low fantasy Morrowind?

Not Morrowind. It's a console game. Maybe a good one but still just a console game.

My guess is more like no fantasy crossbreed of Witcher 3, Skyrim and Clang.

Well, I read a bit about the people involved on this project and they are responsible for stuff like Operation Flashpoint, Hidden and Dangerous and Mafia games. These are all games that took a pretty BOLD aproach to otherwise well established genres so...maybe Warhorse brings :incline: to consoletards?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Updaytan:

We have been silent for a while, because we are working hard on the next Technology Alpha update, which will be presented at E3 in June. What are the main new features you can look forward to?
  • Combat: 1-on-1 combat with Long sword, featuring parrying, ripostes and combos
  • New location: introducing a new village and surrounding countryside
  • Travel: horse riding is now available
  • Quests: new quests featuring alchemy, lock picking or grave digging
  • Localization: in addition to English voice-overs you can now choose German or French subtitles

But who cares about that when we have also this:

For European backers we have one more surprise - exclusive Warhorse beer pack by Přátelský pivovar Malešov! The collector's set contains four different beer tastes - light Lager, very strong Lager, Stout Imperial and India Pale Ale. Each bottle is labeled with original artworks, created by our lead concept artist Miky Podprocký and Daniel Vávra.

ea291754d7206db482f2f937de78088f_original.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom