Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
Are you going to post this little speech on every thread where a game is criticised?
I stopped reading right here. Crititised is the key word here. If you read my post you might have noticed I mentioned criticism as a-ok and desirable.
So no, I am not gonna post this everywhere a game is crititcised. Only where bullshit starts appearing and where it bothers me. I wasn't commenting on criticism. That should be quite easy to notice.

Reading resumed.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Is there something I am missing which made some of you to think that way?

Yeah, I have more faith in Fargo than I do Daniel 'I look like a serial rapist' Vavra. That and something like WL2 is fairly discreet where something like this is much more prone to go off the rails and down the road of pointless technology racking up massive costs. But none of that matters because you seem to be a shill for this game.

Unwanted

Magic User

Unwanted
Have they said anything about what role the Catholic Church will play in this? I hope this won't be one of those supposedly realistic and historical interpretations of the period where they either create a whole lot of baloney or simply pretend the largest and most powerful institution of the time simply didn't exist because someone's butt would be hurt otherwise.

Cadmus

Arcane
As PorkyThePladin said you are not obliged to like the game. Maybe the whole concept is something completely beyond you and your tastes. That's ok. Ignore the project. You have the freedom to do so.
But hatred is pointless. It won't cause the game not being made, not being (un)successful, it won't change the game into something you like, most probably. Is it really hatred what we see here? I don't know, maybe it's just miunderstading.
But we are on 'Dex. I know 'Dex. Hate and schadenfreude are one of the core fuels here. So what's the point?
Man does that mean I cant shit on every game left and right just for fun??? what am I even doing here then

Smejki

Developer
Have they said anything about what role the Catholic Church will play in this? I hope this won't be one of those supposedly realistic and historical interpretations of the period where they either create a whole lot of baloney or simply pretend the largest and most powerful institution of the time simply didn't exist because someone's butt would be hurt otherwise.
It'll play significant role. That's all I can say for now. After all the events lead to Hussite wars few years down the road which were a massive religious unrest.
Yeah, I have more faith in Fargo than I do Daniel 'I look like a serial rapist' Vavra. That and something like WL2 is fairly discreet where something like this is much more prone to go off the rails and down the road of pointless technology racking up massive costs. But none of that matters because you seem to be a shill for this game.
Fair enough. You are free to extrapolate of course. Just use facts as the basis. For example your "KS was launched/funded before they announced it was episodic" needed correction as it wasn't true.
I am one of the designers. I thought this was known here. I mentioned it here or in some other KCD topic. Hence my attitude, including avoiding any fanboyism.
Man does that mean I cant shit on every game left and right just for fun??? what am I even doing here then
The decision is upon you.

Cadmus

Arcane
Smejki can you tell me if you'll get rid of the horrible red splash effect in combat? you know, like when you hit someone's armor with a sword and it makes a red bloody effect even though you just hit a steel plate. it looks like shit.

I'm always asking the important questions.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The amount of butthurt on this thread is amusing. Since the beginning, there have been people here excited by the idea of this game, and people who absolutely hated it. Some of the latter have since been coming up with all kinds of ways to trash the game, the company, the development process. I think it really comes down to some people just not wanting a game like KCD to succeed, because they just hate the idea of action RPGs with first person view and real time combat. Well, it might very well fail yet, but nothing they've revealed so far is an indication of that, and I am guessing that if other developers were as forthcoming as Vavra about their situations, we would see just as much chaos and unpredictability most times. I mean think about it, AAA games from studios rolling in money like Blizzard and EA routinely get delayed, or even scrapped entirely (e.g. Titan), and most of those games don't even try much new stuff, just retread the same old BS in a new shirt. So here we have a game from a new studio, with all sorts of new ideas, and its development has been marked with all kinds of unpredictable events, so what do you realistically expect?

What new ideas beyond the standard hiking simulator tropes? Lot's of promises about unprecedented immersion, "real" combat, "real" medieval setting, but so far its all promises with little to show beyond graphics.
From what has been revealed
1) The combat really is innovative. Systemization of real combat has some limitations so of course it cannot allow you 1:1 combat experience. Yet it is a completely new system more close to reality than anything else. If it ends up being good and fun (or even effective selling point), that's another question.
2) Theme+genre+production qualities combo. That's unprecedented. That is and actual selling point. Again might end up not being interesting enough for a game. But there are tens of thousands gamers hooked on this already.
3) Story based on real historical events which are not well known (it's not another Joan of Arc or Willy Wallace) yet are interesting.
4) Real historical places. Again not unique but quite uncommon, taking into account that it's not like AssCreed's Colosseo + Piramide Cestia + some generated buildings and whoop! we've got a historical Rome.
5) A sort of more or less deep life simulation. If it's not just a gimmick and if it makes sense in the design that's again another question.
6) Survival/character maintenance aspects. Will it be fun? Will see. But again in combination with there genre I thing some sort of survival (and not very good one) was notable only in New Vegas.
7) Unprecedented layered clothing system. This more a technical feature than a design one but hey, it gives much more diversity to the world for much less work.
8) And at last Awsum Grafix!

Following with promises
1) Grounded non black-and-white story. That's not unique but such games are still scarce. Additionally many which tried, failed horribly.
2) Few large scale historical battles: This was admitted to be a very tricky part which might not end up being as envisioned ('cause tech limitations so design will be very tricky here)
3) Innovative crafting (and) minigames. Will it be fun? Will see.
4) Innovative approach to law/criminal system. No details were revealed. There was just some minor discussion on the forums regarding stolen items.
5) If it works out the horse might be some significant improvement on present systems.

Skepticism and constructive criticism is always good (hello backers of Areal, Star Command, Yogventures or CLANG! I backed CLANG btw). Pessimism... well, sometimes too as it shows some new pov on the topic. But it should always be based on facts and I see quite a lot of misunderstanding or even misinformation here. WH may be blamed for bad communication but I don't see many flaws in it so what is the real problem that causes this little shitrain here?

As PorkyThePladin said you are not obliged to like the game. Maybe the whole concept is something completely beyond you and your tastes. That's ok. Ignore the project. You have the freedom to do so.
But hatred is pointless. It won't cause the game not being made, not being (un)successful, it won't change the game into something you like, most probably. Is it really hatred what we see here? I don't know, maybe it's just miunderstading.
But we are on 'Dex. I know 'Dex. Hate and schadenfreude are one of the core fuels here. So what's the point?

Thats a long list of promises that might or might not make it to release, the only things you guys managed to show off till now were the cosmetic elements, graphics and layered equipment? Considering the trouble to get a proper design doc implemented up to this point, it's very much down to blind faith that all those features will be well implemented properly.

Cadmus

Arcane
The amount of butthurt on this thread is amusing. Since the beginning, there have been people here excited by the idea of this game, and people who absolutely hated it. Some of the latter have since been coming up with all kinds of ways to trash the game, the company, the development process. I think it really comes down to some people just not wanting a game like KCD to succeed, because they just hate the idea of action RPGs with first person view and real time combat. Well, it might very well fail yet, but nothing they've revealed so far is an indication of that, and I am guessing that if other developers were as forthcoming as Vavra about their situations, we would see just as much chaos and unpredictability most times. I mean think about it, AAA games from studios rolling in money like Blizzard and EA routinely get delayed, or even scrapped entirely (e.g. Titan), and most of those games don't even try much new stuff, just retread the same old BS in a new shirt. So here we have a game from a new studio, with all sorts of new ideas, and its development has been marked with all kinds of unpredictable events, so what do you realistically expect?

What new ideas beyond the standard hiking simulator tropes? Lot's of promises about unprecedented immersion, "real" combat, "real" medieval setting, but so far its all promises with little to show beyond graphics.
From what has been revealed
1) The combat really is innovative. Systemization of real combat has some limitations so of course it cannot allow you 1:1 combat experience. Yet it is a completely new system more close to reality than anything else. If it ends up being good and fun (or even effective selling point), that's another question.
2) Theme+genre+production qualities combo. That's unprecedented. That is and actual selling point. Again might end up not being interesting enough for a game. But there are tens of thousands gamers hooked on this already.
3) Story based on real historical events which are not well known (it's not another Joan of Arc or Willy Wallace) yet are interesting.
4) Real historical places. Again not unique but quite uncommon, taking into account that it's not like AssCreed's Colosseo + Piramide Cestia + some generated buildings and whoop! we've got a historical Rome.
5) A sort of more or less deep life simulation. If it's not just a gimmick and if it makes sense in the design that's again another question.
6) Survival/character maintenance aspects. Will it be fun? Will see. But again in combination with there genre I thing some sort of survival (and not very good one) was notable only in New Vegas.
7) Unprecedented layered clothing system. This more a technical feature than a design one but hey, it gives much more diversity to the world for much less work.
8) And at last Awsum Grafix!

Following with promises
1) Grounded non black-and-white story. That's not unique but such games are still scarce. Additionally many which tried, failed horribly.
2) Few large scale historical battles: This was admitted to be a very tricky part which might not end up being as envisioned ('cause tech limitations so design will be very tricky here)
3) Innovative crafting (and) minigames. Will it be fun? Will see.
4) Innovative approach to law/criminal system. No details were revealed. There was just some minor discussion on the forums regarding stolen items.
5) If it works out the horse might be some significant improvement on present systems.

Skepticism and constructive criticism is always good (hello backers of Areal, Star Command, Yogventures or CLANG! I backed CLANG btw). Pessimism... well, sometimes too as it shows some new pov on the topic. But it should always be based on facts and I see quite a lot of misunderstanding or even misinformation here. WH may be blamed for bad communication but I don't see many flaws in it so what is the real problem that causes this little shitrain here?

For me the only selling points are:
a) made by Vavra and a czech studio, for that special slavic flavour and avoiding hollywood style tropes
b) the setting - no magic, flashpoint-style czech setting wankery. I love this shit

I'm really fucking tired of crafting. D:OS just killed off my last attempts at giving a shit about stuff like that. Maybe if it is simple enough. Large scale battles will never be done properly, so why bother. Maybe in 20 years. Law system never works, either you can steal everything or reload forever until it works. I cant imagine what would you have to introduce to the system so that the player doesnt reload upon the slightest failure, if nothing else just not to go through dialogues and scenes of nonsense to deal with his crime. Any horse riding gives my FPS a diarrhea. I don't like minigames and card games and any of that. The only exception was TW1 with the poker, that was fun, simple, aesthetically pleasing. TW2 fucked it up cuz you couldnt fucking read whats on the dice.

You see, I'd really get excited more for all the gameplay stuff if it actually had been shown. (or have I missed something major?) I still think the game will be awesome, my only fear is that the retarded czech studio fuck up the control scheme by introducing some non standard shit.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I am one of the designers. I thought this was known here.
I guess to the crazies that ardently follow the project. But yeah since you have a vested interest in keeping this gravy train running I'm sure you'll understand why I'll take whatever you say with massive grains of salt. And you have to admit Vavra looks like a rapist -- tell him to shave that beard.

Cadmus

Arcane
I am one of the designers. I thought this was known here.
I guess to the crazies that ardently follow the project. But yeah since you have a vested interest in keeping this gravy train running I'm sure you'll understand why I'll take whatever you say with massive grains of salt. And you have to admit Vavra looks like a rapist -- tell him to shave that beard.
I don't see him saying anything suspicious. I'm more surprised that he doesn't understand this place and says the stuff he says to the edgy cunts like yourself. His fault is being too positive, lol.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
Thats a long list of promises that might or might not make it to release, the only things you guys managed to show off till now were the cosmetic elements, graphics and layered equipment? Considering the trouble to get a proper design doc implemented up to this point, it's very much down to blind faith that all those features will be well implemented properly.

The same can be said about Project Eternity and Wasteland 2. Fucking kneejerkers.

All of you!

Kem0sabe

Arcane

The same can be said about Project Eternity and Wasteland 2. Fucking kneejerkers.

All of you!

The difference is that in PoE they (obsidian) actively put focus on the mechanics of the game, the combat, the rules, the classes and abilities, engaging the community as partners instead of cash cows. Warhorse seems to think graphics is all that is needed to impress the masses into believing the project has legs to walk on.

Daniel.Vavra

Warhorse Studios
Developer
Is there something I am missing which made some of you to think that way?

I heard what you just said. I am watching you. :flamesaw:

Perkel

Arcane
Look devs are codexers. This means that if they are as jaded and butthurt as rest of codex game will be good.

but it will sell like shit
bird.gif

buzz

Arcane
Kem0sabe I think you're being a bit obtuse in here. This project was funded what? A few months ago. PoE was funded almost two years ago and we barely got the first complete slice of gameplay (albeit with lots of design discussions since then). PoE during its campaign had one concept screenshot I think, whereas this seems like it already has some mechanics in place.

I take the pessimism surrounding this object as proof that kickstarter was a bubble. If the first projects consisted of one guy going on-screen, making some crappy jokes about publishers and saying "WE MAEK GAME U LOEV, GIB MONI" which resulted in tens of thousands of gamers going :bounce:, now you have projects with actual gameplay revealed, the security that they get extra funding and all that stuff and we still think they're gonna fold.

I'm not saying this couldn't blow back hard, but have a little bit of faith in here.

Smejki

Developer
Smejki can you tell me if you'll get rid of the horrible red splash effect in combat? you know, like when you hit someone's armor with a sword and it makes a red bloody effect even though you just hit a steel plate. it looks like shit.

This was nearly 2 yrs old prototype and I believe it was there to serve as a visual feedback. Also it was placeholder. The combat system is still being worked on.
BTW the combat system incorporates large amount of hitzones and the hit audiovisual feedback should be correct.
Honestly it looked like shit to me too.
Sure anything can get fucked up
But the first 8 points are real features which already are in the game.
The other 5 points (marked as promises) need to go through R&D so, yeah, you are right. It may or may not happen. Anything can get fucked up. Anything can be changed significantly. Anything can be thrown away as a proven-to-be-bad idea.
I don't see him saying anything suspicious. I'm more surprised that he doesn't understand this place and says the stuff he says to the edgy cunts like yourself. His fault is being too positive, lol.
:lol:
I understand this place. Even if not fully. I just refuse accepting some multi dick'd rules and patterns.
:fight:

anybody else here needs some clarifications on our
:popamole:
game?

Cadmus

Arcane
Kem0sabe I think you're being a bit obtuse in here. This project was funded what? A few months ago. PoE was funded almost two years ago and we barely got the first complete slice of gameplay (albeit with lots of design discussions since then). PoE during its campaign had one concept screenshot I think, whereas this seems like it already has some mechanics in place.

I take the pessimism surrounding this object as proof that kickstarter was a bubble. If the first projects consisted of one guy going on-screen, making some crappy jokes about publishers and saying "WE MAEK GAME U LOEV, GIB MONI" which resulted in tens of thousands of gamers going :bounce:, now you have projects with actual gameplay revealed, the security that they get extra funding and all that stuff and we still think they're gonna fold.

I'm not saying this couldn't blow back hard, but have a little bit of faith in here.

You are right, I completely forgot how early in the development this game was.

This was nearly 2 yrs old prototype and I believe it was there to serve as a visual feedback. Also it was placeholder. The combat system is still being worked on.
BTW the combat system incorporates large amount of hitzones and the hit audiovisual feedback should be correct.
Honestly it looked like shit to me too.
Sure anything can get fucked up
But the first 8 points are real features which already are in the game.
The other 5 points (marked as promises) need to go through R&D so, yeah, you are right. It may or may not happen. Anything can get fucked up. Anything can be changed significantly. Anything can be thrown away as a proven-to-be-bad idea.
:lol:
I understand this place. Even if not fully. I just refuse accepting some multi dick'd rules and patterns.
:fight:

anybody else here needs some clarifications on our
:popamole:
game?
About the blood - I know it seems stupid to ask but I'm sure many developers would consider it good enough "WELL WE UHM LIKE TO GIVE THE PLAYER FEEDBACK UHHM THAT HIS WEAPON CONNECTED WITH UH-HUH THE BODY PART OF THE OPPONENT THUS THIS IS NECESSARY FOR THE PLAYER TO SEE THE IMPACT OF HIS ACTIONS"
Sure!
In the videos, I get kinda weird vibe from the weather. I like the yellow September fields well enough but the whole game just seemed kinda yellow and samey weather. Can you say more stuff about the weather conditions?

Can you at least slightly hint at the law system so that I know it's not akin to Skyrim's "HEY CRIMINAL SCUM, PAY ME MONEY AND GO TO PRISON" whereas I just say fuck off and reload instead of wasting time on that shit?

How about the music? Are there any samples already available? Will it have a constant soundtrack like TES which I dislike or will there be time for the player to breathe and the music used for dramatic purposes? Has the composer been announced yet?

Any news about the Czech VO?
Will I have my inventory full of useless shit like in D:OS or will there be itemization more like in Gothic with a huge power gap between equipment?

I know it looks like I'm asking about superficial shit and I'm. There's just not much to ask about the combat system and character system, I just hope it's good. I want a nice, realistic action RPG in a great setting. I hope you guys deliver on the fucking art style, it seems great so far.

I don't remember stuff being said about the journal/quest compass/GUI in general. Will it be nice and clean like in Gothic? Will I NEED to make marks in my maps/journal? Will the quests be given simply by dialogue description ala morrowind or I get some stupid arrow, too?

eremita

Savant
Bioware style? no
Other style? Maybe. If it'll makes sense.
So you're telling me I can't fuck my fellow Knights?! DISAPPOINTED!
Whatevs mods will fix your shitty game... Speaking about the mods... What about modding?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I think we're all just worried (and being facetious in the typical Codexer way) that you're trying to put too many features that you won't be able to do and then the game goes vaporware due to mismanagement.

I think also, now, that I like what you said about going step-by-step and having features already done, and having the willingness to abandon later features if necessary.

But even so I like to err to the side of re-emphasizing this 'concern' rather than not saying anything, during the development process.

Smejki

Developer
In the videos, I get kinda weird vibe from the weather. I like the yellow September fields well enough but the whole game just seemed kinda yellow and samey weather. Can you say more stuff about the weather conditions?
multiple weathers are planned. And if I am not mistaken they are just being implemented.

Can you at least slightly hint at the law system so that I know it's not akin to Skyrim's "HEY CRIMINAL SCUM, PAY ME MONEY AND GO TO PRISON" whereas I just say fuck off and reload instead of wasting time on that shit?
I can't. I will only say that this consists of 2 parts - law system itself and the saving system. saving system affects other parts of the game too so it's tricky and as such we haven't come to final conclusion in that matter. We have some preferences but playtests will tell what's best

How about the music? Are there any samples already available? Will it have a constant soundtrack like TES which I dislike or will there be time for the player to breathe and the music used for dramatic purposes? Has the composer been announced yet?
No samples.
Just recently Dan said he doesn't like Skyrim music too. I was surprised for I don't mind it. But he decides so it might fit your tastes.
Musician was not announced yet. Maybe might reveal some info soon. Dan met some guys a few weeks back.

Any news about the Czech VO?
Nope. Situation is still the same - we want to do it but it is still uncertain if we can manage.
Will I have my inventory full of useless shit like in D:OS or will there be itemization more like in Gothic with a huge power gap between equipment?
I played D:OS for only 1 hour so I do know what the deal here. Is it Diablo syndrome (load with useless shit only to sell it, repeat 1000x)? Well, that shouldn't happen.
Neither will it suffer from TES syndrome (cups and plates and spoon ffs).
You might get a bit overloaded but all the items should be usable and useful.

I don't remember stuff being said about the journal/quest compass/GUI in general. Will it be nice and clean like in Gothic? Will I NEED to make marks in my maps/journal? Will the quests be given simply by dialogue description ala morrowind or I get some stupid arrow, too?
There will be some sort of compass. I think journal was mentioned in one of the updates.
There will be some quest hint system (arrows) but you should be able to turn it off and unlike in postMorrowind TES you should be able to be just fine without it.
ie. where Skyrim NPC says "Go see Bob." and then places a fucking arrow on him which you have to follow we will go the way that NPC says "Go see Bob, he's a smith, up in the city. His forge neighbors the castle walls." and there will be an arrow for you which you can ignore or even turn off. There also may be some neat modifications to this to add uncertainty and to prevent elimination of exploration (like area highlights, home-only marks and some such). We'll say more when we know more and have more.

So you're telling me I can't fuck my fellow Knights?! DISAPPOINTED!
Whatevs mods will fix your shitty game... Speaking about the mods... What about modding?
There's a huuuuge topic on homosexuality on our forum. Go see it, your head will explode.
Modding support is planned. Including release of dev tools of course. Day 1 katana mod incoming!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom