Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Every story is derivative, the question is how it is told.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A save system like that doesn't work with all-or-nothing skills like pickpocket.
When a possible result from attempting to pick pockets is that the guards will be on your ass and you will need to reload to replay the last 20 minutes of playing, then you will simply never pick pockets.
I played Fallout I without reloading. Of course failed pick pocket meant whole city would gank on you. But that's a consequence you need to accept.
I don't need to accept anything.
Maybe you have the luxury of endless time.
Normal people do not and like to advance in their games while also allowing them to try things just out of curiosity. Which in this game is only possible if you happen to have the save item or directly after an auto save.

Fallout is also a useless comparison as towns are optional there. Good luck having to skip an entire location in KCD (that you need to go to for quests) because of a failed pickpocket attempt.
And it is not like Dark Souls where you can get your stuff back during the next attempt - even making a gain from it, or learn something useful from defeat.
There's nothing to be learned from a failed pickpocket attempt.

Pickpocket in general is just a stupid mechanic in games. With reloading, it becomes a walk in the park, without reloading it becomes something nobody without endless time will ever do.
There is no middle ground that isn't ridiculous.

Lockpicking is much better as it allows you to make sure nobody sees you and can raise alarm even if you fail.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A save system like that doesn't work with all-or-nothing skills like pickpocket.
When a possible result from attempting to pick pockets is that the guards will be on your ass and you will need to reload to replay the last 20 minutes of playing, then you will simply never pick pockets.
I played Fallout I without reloading. Of course failed pick pocket meant whole city would gank on you. But that's a consequence you need to accept.
I don't need to accept anything.
Maybe you have the luxury of endless time.
Normal people do not and like to advance in their games while also allowing them to try things just out of curiosity. Which in this game is only possible if you happen to have the save item or directly after an auto save.

Fallout is also a useless comparison as towns are optional there. Good luck having to skip an entire location in KCD (that you need to go to for quests) because of a failed pickpocket attempt.
And it is not like Dark Soul where you can get your stuff back during the next attempt - even making a gain from it, or learn something useful from defeat.
There's nothing to be learned from a failed pickpocket attempt.

Pickpocket in general is just a stupid mechanic in games. With reloading, it becomes a walk in the park, without reloading it becomes something nobody without endless time will ever do.
There is no middle ground that isn't ridiculous.

Lockpicking is much better as it allows you to make sure nobody sees you and can raise alarm even if you fail.

Eh, I just took a nap at my bed in the castle during the prologue before trying to learn out how to lockpick. Now I’m going to use my bed in Rattay to save before learning how to pickpocket.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
That's exactly what I did. Use your bed. I did use schnaps once when I needed to knock a guard out to get keys to the armory.

You can make schaps using alchemy by the way.

Beowulf

Arcane
Further comparing with the Witcher 3, I see there is no feature for the NPCs to make remarks as you pass them by. This was eventually getting repetitive, but in retrospect, it was adding to the feeling of a town being inhabited by people as opposed to white walkers. Or maybe just the player in this stream hasn't accumulated enough reputation to provoke reactions? Even so, they could have been dropping lines about the weather, the harvest, the Cumans, etc.

I didn't watch that much, as I don't want to spoil the game for myself, but do the NPC's acknowledge that the player is a physical entity and act accordingly, or just mindlessly bump into him, like in W3?
Great question, because that was one of the things that annoyed me greatly in Witcher 3. Nope, no bumping thankfully. But I saw a moment when the player entered a room while an NPC was preforming its animation for closing the door to that room. The player was able to walk through the NPC with a little pushing. 3D Collision has to be resolved somehow, I don't mind stuff like that. You can only break it if you want to break it.

Just a quick update on that - the characters walk on predefined paths (from what I observed so far) and will indeed bump into you and mumble the same thing as in Witcher (that is something like "hey", "watch it", as if you just bumped into them).

But as a way to prevent them from endlessly blocking your path, they will teleport behind you after brief time of being stuck.
Although I have not made my mind yet, if it's a bug, or a feature.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Interesting, maybe I became convinced they walk around you because there is a lot more space on the streets in this game, and the players in the videos I've been watching have been avoiding bumping into NPCs. Still, I've hardly seen NPCs bumping into players, more often the player has been bumping into NPCs trying to examine them up close.

BTW, RPS have fixed their 14th century error.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
I'm curious, what was the size of the team working on this (during the last 6 months), and roughly the budget of the game?

Doma

Augur
When I try to change graphics settings (going from Medium to High for example), the game starts loading and never returns. Did anyone else encounter this?

It does return. It just takes a VERY long time.

At least that is what happened when I switched from High to Very High.

Deathsquid

Learned
Chris Roberts or some PR person at CIG said:
The good news is: the team at Warhorse isn’t just an incredible talented group of people… they’re also kindred spirits who are willing to share the work they’ve done! We will be sharing with them the tricks for working with CryEngine we’ve learned over the last 18 months and they will be letting us in on the secrets and the tech behind what they’re doing!

MeaslyUltimateFlycatcher-max-14mb.gif

giphy.gif

Seeing the mention of bugs in this game, the state of Star Citizen, and the fact that Warhorse took tricks from CIG, I'm surprised it's not far, far worse.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I have spent a few hours yesterday watching multiple streams and game looks like a fun interactive movie. Probably would be better if one can cut out all the interactive parts that are boring and mundane and just leave the movie.

But I can safely say that buying this and for 60$ is pure waste of money and playing this is pure waste of time. I rather play a real game on my PC and watch this movie on twitch on my 2nd screen.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I played for a few hours last night. I'm enjoying it.

It has some technical issues, but I'm sure these will be fixed. I'm liking the characters and story (even if a little formulaic), and the combat is getting more fun after getting a bit of training.

As others have said, the game has a lot of cutscenes, but what did anyone expect from the guy that made Mafia?

Hazey

Novice
can you hold a castle and command men in battle?

Not really, it's more story focused, you're looking for Mount and Blade 2.

I'm curious, what was the size of the team working on this (during the last 6 months), and roughly the budget of the game?

I believe about 60 people and I read somewhere about $15mil (though not sure on either).

Sheepherder

Augur
Anyone else is having a problem where your CPU regularly reaches 100% in towns and freezes for a moment before unfreezing? Wilderness is fine.
My specs are above recommended, but even if I set everything to low, the problem still persists.

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
Since we're pestering Smejki already, can you guys add the ability to disable markers on the compass? Obviously the ship has already sailed re needing the quest markers at all but I'd much rather have to open the map to see them than to always have them on my screen.
It's been proposed internally. I'd welcome it. We'll see.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Anyone else is having a problem where your CPU regularly reaches 100% in towns and freezes for a moment before unfreezing? Wilderness is fine.
My specs are above recommended, but even if I set everything to low, the problem still persists.
Someone said to go into your Physix settings in windows and set that it uses your GPU and not CPU.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
I have spent a few hours yesterday watching multiple streams and game looks like a fun interactive movie. Probably would be better if one can cut out all the interactive parts that are boring and mundane and just leave the movie.

But I can safely say that buying this and for 60$ is pure waste of money and playing this is pure waste of time. I rather play a real game on my PC and watch this movie on twitch on my 2nd screen.

That’s really just the tutorial/prologue. There’s probably a full feature film in the first few hours, but after that there’s far more gameplay and far fewer cutscenes. It goes from a nearly 50/50 split to more like 95/5 once you get out and can start exploring the world.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Isn't PhysX a NVidia tech that solely relies on GPU and shouldn't task CPU at all?

Sheepherder

Augur
Someone said to go into your Physix settings in windows and set that it uses your GPU and not CPU.
Did it just now. I still freeze up every minute or so. Game is fun when it works but towns are fucking infuriating due to the freezes. I think I'll refund it and wait for patches and a sale.

ArchAngel

Arcane

That’s really just the tutorial/prologue. There’s probably a full feature film in the first few hours, but after that there’s far more gameplay and far fewer cutscenes. It goes from a nearly 50/50 split to more like 95/5 once you get out and can start exploring the world.
I watched even after that ends and still it is mostly cutscenes or completely random and mundane wandering and waste of time (note that I don't like these games, I could not even play FNV for long because of too much waste of time between stuff happening; although this game seems to have even less gameplay).

Isometric games don't have such waste and I prefer those.

tet666

Augur

The game doesn't even use PhsyX (or any other Gameworks feature for that matter) it uses their own physic engine probably based on the one allrdy in the cryengine so this would do absolutely nothing

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron

I watched even after that ends and still it is mostly cutscenes or completely random and mundane wandering and waste of time (note that I don't like these games, I could not even play FNV for long because of too much waste of time between stuff happening; although this game seems to have even less gameplay).

Isometric games don't have such waste and I prefer those.

I hear you. I’m not normally a big fan of hiking simulators, which is why i’m so glad Warhorse made their open world fairly small. It’s not Gothic, but it’s far from bloated—not too much pointless walking/riding.

As for the cutscene to gameplay ratio, it’s really much better, but if you don’t like New Vegas then, yeah, you shouldn’t bother with any of these 3D ARPGs.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
When I try to change graphics settings (going from Medium to High for example), the game starts loading and never returns. Did anyone else encounter this?

There's a "stand by..." icon, bottom right corner, the rotating part is also a progress bar....is it slowly filling with red? Yesterday on the Angry Joe stream switching from Medium to High took several minutes.

Hopefully someone will make a mod that will put all the settlement names into proper German ones~
They should've gone full balls-to-the-wall with the renaming. They did a great job with most names but shit like "Przybyslawice" is just hanging mid-way, nor Czech, nor German, just ugly.

Maybe 120 strong team (maybe a bit more) and as for the budget, various numbers popping up. Some say 5 million USD but that seems way too low. I've seen 10 or even 15 million, hard to say.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom