Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Kingdom Come: Deliverance Progress Report: New trailer, alpha access coming on October 22

Zeriel

Arcane
Actually, it isn't that great. Morrowind is one of those titles that is inoffensive because it isn't terrible and is a solid, okay game, but it is by no stretch of the imagination exceptional. It is a halfway house between Daggerfall and the utter garbage of Oblivion, they just hadn't finished their "evolution" of the consoles formula yet.

Paul_cz

Arcane
The comparisons to Skyrim are fucking hilarious considering that it was Dan Vavra who wrote one of the most widely read articles on czech gaming internet, it was called:

100+ reasons why Dan Vavra hates Skyrim
http://games.tiscali.cz/tema/100-duvodu-proc-dan-vavra-nesnasi-tes-v-skyrim-57711

He made plenty enemies among gamers with that, because plenty gamers love Skyrim (I enjoyed it too for its atmosphere/exploration, but that does not mean I do not see its flaws).
Now anytime there is an article about KCD, there are trolls/offended crybabies whining about KCD that it is going to be shit and it better not be or Vavra will have to be walking through sewers from then on.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
This represents a unique opportunity for someone to become champion and lightning rod for this guy on the Codex. Unfortunately, Roguey is fully occupied.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Actually, it isn't that great. Morrowind is one of those titles that is inoffensive because it isn't terrible and is a solid, okay game, but it is by no stretch of the imagination exceptional. It is a halfway house between Daggerfall and the utter garbage of Oblivion, they just hadn't finished their "evolution" of the consoles formula yet.

No, Morrowind could be said to be an attempt to make a game for two crowds.

Unfortunately, Bethesda didn't just misjudge the derpiness of the causals, but the irrational hatred the oldschoolers would have for anything that was made for a console. It sold well enough but I don't think it gets the recognition it deserves.

Darkzone

Arcane
Paul_cz
There is also a translated version from Vavra. It would be better if you would link the english and not the czech version.

If it can be compared to any game, we will find out on the 22 October or later. The combat mechanics will be then added later to the alpha, and then we will know if it is good or bad. Any statement from people who didn't test the game before this event is close to nonsens.
And i admit my bias towards a historically more accurate game in medieval times, with elaborate mechanics that reproduces the art, lifestyle and thinking and social groups of the people of this times in this region. And that is set in an eventful time in a region, which has been rarely explored by game developers. But that offers more intriguing historical events that surpasses current made series like the Borgias or Tudors (Tewdwr) in a shorter time spann.

This were my words to todays sunday.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm pretty stoked someone's making a game like this, it takes a pair of massive cojones, but I have to admit I'm pretty skeptical of the combat. I feel like Vavra's and Bocan's distaste of abstraction and their obsession with realism is gonna be their downfall. It's my layman feeling that as long as you manipulate with a game world through a keyboard and a mouse (or a gamepad) a huge amount of abstraction is gonna be needed for any game or combat to be fun.

Then again, I'd love to be proven wrong and Vavra proven a visionary.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Paul_cz
There is also a translated version from Vavra. It would be better if you would link the english and not the czech version.

I linked CZ version because I have no idea there is english translation. If you know about how about you link it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This represents a unique opportunity for someone to become champion and lightning rod for this guy on the Codex. Unfortunately, Roguey is fully occupied.
There's also no way in hell I'd champion anyone who thinks it's a great idea to make a first person slasher.

Elder Scrolls has tradition as their excuse. What does he have?

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
There's also no way in hell I'd champion anyone who thinks it's a great idea to make a first person slasher.

Elder Scrolls has tradition as their excuse. What does he have?

A dream. Looking Glass did first person well with Ultima Underworld decades ago. They also happened to be the first to attempt it. It can be done.

valcik

Arcane
I feel like Vavra's and Bocan's distaste of abstraction and their obsession with realism is gonna be their downfall.
What I'm truly hoping for is Martin Klima, former CEO of Altar Interactive, working on their next project as a creative leader, whilst Dan would be swimming in money generated by KCD. The UFO series showed a great promise in terms of tactical combat system combined with old school izo-perspective. Oh well, sweet dreams, I know..

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
A dream. Looking Glass did first person well with Ultima Underworld decades ago. They also happened to be the first to attempt it. It can be done.
Combat in that was bad.

The biggest problems are low situational awareness (due to the proximity of enemies and the limitations of FoV -- in fact the DMoMM designer admitted that enemies effectively hold back when out of view to deal with this problem), poor readability of your own character's attacks (for the same reason), and poor depth perception (a DMoMM designer admitted that their hit detection effectively "cheats" to help the player).

I sort of view first-person melee like turbine-powered motorcycles. You can make a well-executed turbine-powered motorcycle. Unfortunately, turbines are poorly suited for the sort of use that motorcycles actually see in most applications. DMoMM was the most viscerally satisfying first-person melee I've seen yet, but I found it frustrating to actually play.

Higher Animal

Arcane
And if you carefull read my statement you will not read the word communism. Take always into your thinking account that your country, is your country. And Czechia is Czechia. Even if we talk in this global village called internet, we still might be living in different countries. And if you even dislike certain ideas in your country, the same ideas might have a different effect in other countries. The context gives a thing a meaning by making the definition complete. And a different country means a different context.
And there is a saying where i come from: What you do in your four walls, as long as it is happening between adults in mutual agreement, does not concern me. And without a victim, there is no crime, therefore there are no thought crimes.
Transferred this means: Your ideas in your country, does not concern me, as long as there are no other victims, besides your own nation. To make other example, that you might understand this at a base level:
Perhaps a libertarian approach in Czechia is a good thing and solves their problems? Or perhaps even in Poland where 99% of the populus are polish, the fascism would be good thing?
As long as this stays in their countries i would give a fuck, and if a pole states than that fascism is good for them, i say: OK. But this has failed in other countries.
The western slavs have a different approach and different problems, and as long as they produce no victims it is their problem, especially if it is connected with a certain history.

Uhhh, yes? I'm a localist who believes that people should be able to determine their own destiny.

Higher Animal do you think Mafia, Hidden and Dangerous and Operation Flashpoint is shit?

Operation Flashpoint is one of the best games ever made but I'm unaware he had any involvement. Mafia and Hidden and Dangerous are okayish games that are not as good as other games in the same genre released around the same time. Mafia 2 was very uninspired. This new Oblivion game looks fucking terrible TBH especially as we are in the midst of a great incline for the RPG genre.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Combat in that was bad.

The biggest problems are low situational awareness (due to the proximity of enemies and the limitations of FoV -- in fact the DMoMM designer admitted that enemies effectively hold back when out of view to deal with this problem), poor readability of your own character's attacks (for the same reason), and poor depth perception (a DMoMM designer admitted that their hit detection effectively "cheats" to help the player).

I sort of view first-person melee like turbine-powered motorcycles. You can make a well-executed turbine-powered motorcycle. Unfortunately, turbines are poorly suited for the sort of use that motorcycles actually see in most applications. DMoMM was the most viscerally satisfying first-person melee I've seen yet, but I found it frustrating to actually play.
Your sawyer quotes have no power here. Avert!

Paul_cz

Arcane
Higher Animal do you think Mafia, Hidden and Dangerous and Operation Flashpoint is shit?

Operation Flashpoint is one of the best games ever made but I'm unaware he had any involvement. Mafia and Hidden and Dangerous are okayish games that are not as good as other games in the same genre released around the same time. Mafia 2 was very uninspired. This new Oblivion game looks fucking terrible TBH especially as we are in the midst of a great incline for the RPG genre.

Viktor Bocan, lead designer of KCD, was a lead designer of Operation Flashpoint.
And saying that Mafia and Hidden and Dangerouns " are okayish games that are not as good as other games in the same genre released around the same time" is incredibly retarded. Mafia was incredibly way ahead of its time (it had graphics close to Max Payne (but unlike tunnel Max Payne, it was open world) and years ahead of GTA 3/VC , which was its only competition, while the gameplay and story was also a lot more sofisticated, with every mission having unique design etc).
Hidden and Dangerous, especially the second one, is without competition until this day.
I will grant that Mafia 2 was not as good as it should have been, mainly because Vavra and other people left 18 months before its release and it was butchered by 2K.
Still there were some great aspects to it.

Paul_cz
I have found this translatation in the forum of KCD. Because i have said my word to sunday, i had to wait for monday to post this.

Thanks. The translation is as hilarious as the original.

"Because of that, most of the trees look like pieces from a stage set made by pupils of an intellectual disability intervention school. It is sad that the company that has produced open world games for years has nobody who knows how a spruce looks like and it is a shame that the company that bought id Soft cannot hire somebody who then would be able to model it."

"31. ...that entering a building triggers some mystical distortion of space-time or our main hero, because the size of the interiors and exteriors is never mutually corresponding. In each tiny shed you can find kilometers of corridors and banquet halls of gigantic proportions. The problem was being addressed by most developers about a decade ago primarily due to 3rd person cameras. It has been solved, and today in the majority of games exteriors and interiors match. Bethesda, however, ignores such bleeding edge trends."

"34. Nobody in Bethesda has the faintest idea what is vault ceiling of stones good for. Stone ceiling can not be flat, because rock is not reinforced concrete. In the whole game you can come across various flat ceilings, gates and other absurdities that deny the laws of physics. No decent artist could make something like that without having to harakiri themselves afterwards from shame."

and on and on

Last edited:

Higher Animal

Arcane
Viktor Bocan, lead designer of KCD, was a lead designer of Operation Flashpoint.

Okay. Leonard Boyarsky was the lead designer of Diablo 3.

And saying that Mafia and Hidden and Dangerouns " are okayish games that are not as good as other games in the same genre released around the same time" is incredibly retarded. Mafia was incredibly way ahead of its time (it had graphics close to Max Payne (but unlike tunnel Max Payne, it was open world) and years ahead of GTA 3/VC , which was its only competition, while the gameplay and story was also a lot more sofisticated, with every mission having unique design etc).

I remember Mafia being playable but not nearly as good as anything Rockstar put out.
Hidden and Dangerous, especially the second one, is without competition until this day.

Well the first one was a pretty early squad based first person shooter so maybe it has historical significance of being a less interesting Jagged Alliance but the second one is simply uninteresting to play. Have you played Socom? Rainbow Six? Swat? No one lives Forever? Thief? Deus Ex? All fantastically superior to Hidden and Dangerous covering a lot of the same territory. Hell even Full Spectrum Warrior is better.

Paul_cz

Arcane

Okay. Leonard Boyarsky was the lead designer of Diablo 3.

I remember Mafia being playable but not nearly as good as anything Rockstar put out.

Well the first one was a pretty early squad based first person shooter so maybe it has historical significance of being a less interesting Jagged Alliance but the second one is simply uninteresting to play. Have you played Socom? Rainbow Six? Swat? No one lives Forever? Thief? Deus Ex? All fantastically superior to Hidden and Dangerous covering a lot of the same territory. Hell even Full Spectrum Warrior is better.

Alright, there is nothing to argue here - your taste in games is completely fucked up and incompatible with mine, so I will let you to it.

Just regarding Leon Boyarsky, as if it had anything to do with KCD, but he was, as you posted, lead world designer, meaning he did not work on actual game design, but world/lore/whatever design. I did not play D3 so I have no idea what it is like.

I am sad he is wasting his talent at Blizzard, but I cannot exactly fault him with the money and job security he gets there.

Higher Animal

Arcane
Alright, there is nothing to argue here - your taste in games is completely fucked up and incompatible with mine, so I will let you to it.

My taste in games is exceptional and every game I listed was better than H&D.
Just regarding Leon Boyarsky, as if it had anything to do with KCD, but he was, as you posted, lead world designer, meaning he did not work on actual game design, but world/lore/whatever design. I did not play D3 so I have no idea what it is like.

Okay, fair enough, I'm not sure exactly what his role was other than he did a lot of the writing and RPG mechanics involved with the game. My point was to say that just because so and so helms a project doesn't mean that it's going to turn out well.

Black

Arcane

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The blessing of Codex is that most of the resident trolls are colourful and entertaining, like hiver or HHR. Higher Animal is one of the few blabbermouths that are just annoying, dull and stupid. A zero value character. How is he still without a tag is a mystery to me but there's always the "Ignore" magic spell.

Btw Operation Flashpoint, Mafia 1 and H&D were not only fantastic games but also very innovative, visionary and ahead of its time. And lol, comparing, H&D and Jagged Alliance, I don't even.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom