Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Kingdom Come: Deliverance Progress Report: New trailer, alpha access coming on October 22

Alfons

Prophet
The game footage you have seen is more than a year old demo they pitched to publishers, with place holder "voice acting" done by amateur expats, and the combat is obviously extremely work in progress.
Judging the game as "Skyrim" based on that makes you retarded.

The thing about the combat that looks shitty is not the execution but the principle,a block button that blocks all attacks and different angles of attack that's it.
The voice acting might be just a place holder but when you have a stretch goal that asks for 200k for better voice acting it's fair to assume that it's not a priority.

Devs often say "work in progress" the problem with that statement is that the execution might improve but the principals remain the same. Early builds are not a representation of the final product,true but if you think that you can't draw conclusions from them you are a fuckin idiot.

Dr Schultz

Augur
The thing about the combat that looks shitty is not the execution but the principle,a block button that blocks all attacks and different angles of attack that's it.

A couple of years ago I played another shitty game with a block button that blocks all attacks and different angles of attack that's it. If I recal correctly, it's called Dark Souls :asd:...

Alfons

Prophet
A couple of years ago I played another shitty game with a block button that blocks all attacks and different angles of attack that's it. If I recal correctly, it's called Dark Souls :asd:...
Of course,exactly the same except for the fact that it's 3rd person ,has a dodge and it has more enemies than man with medieval weapon.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I would say wait and see. Too much discussion here about a game that hasn't been released. Block button could be fine and worked in Mount & Blade, or it could be shit.

But the art direction looked great on this one from the beginning, and Vavra has delivered in the past. If Mafia would have been open world and supported modding I would still play it today.

What I really don't like is the voice acting, the usual mixture of trying too hard and people who sound like they do audio cassettes for children.
Modern Egnlish could be bearable but if it stays like that these guys pretending to speak old english would be absolutely painful. If it is like that in the game I will probably turn that shit off completely.
Makes you wonder why they can't hire amateurs for voice acting, most re-enactment people would do a much better job at this.

This would also be my advice for this project, less is more. This was supposed to be more of an attempt at simulation and not a game that teenagers can brag with. Though we would already be lucky if it fell halfway between.

Darkzone

Arcane
Except that nothing indicates this conclusion. Victor has lost 31 - 1 in the sword fight against that Knight, and killed him only with a bow shot. So blocking seems to be more difficult than just push one button. They have always stated that combat will be more difficult and mostly focusing on one against one.

The voice acting might be just a place holder but when you have a stretch goal that asks for 200k for better voice acting it's fair to assume that it's not a priority.
Before the KS they have invested only 1.5 Million into KCD. The KS was not to get the money to finance the production of the game, but more to see if the game will have its audience. But because of the well recived KS (nearly 4x the requested amount), they have added this strech goal for professional actors, and not some local people.

I really advice you the look at their KS and Update videos and listen to what really they are saying.

Paul_cz

Arcane
The game footage you have seen is more than a year old demo they pitched to publishers, with place holder "voice acting" done by amateur expats, and the combat is obviously extremely work in progress.
Judging the game as "Skyrim" based on that makes you retarded.

Devs often say "work in progress" the problem with that statement is that the execution might improve but the principals remain the same. Early builds are not a representation of the final product,true but if you think that you can't draw conclusions from them you are a fuckin idiot.

The hilarious thing is that just today I read an article on melee combat systems in videogames in CZ gaming magazine Level, which had a lot of input from Viktor Bocan, lead designer (and main combat designer/programmer) on Kingdom Come.
Suffice to say, he mentions pretty much all the games that ever used melee combat, from Severance, Dark Messiah, Dark Souls to Mount and Blade or Chivalry. But according to him, all these games sacrifice realism for "fun".
He wants it more realistic. We shall see how they suceed or not, but judging ANYTHING at this stage is just blowing empty air.

The voice acting stretch goal is just something to entice people to donate money. It has no bearing on actual voice acting budget (I would think this is obvious, but apparently not). Their entire crowdfunded budget is just a fraction of the entire game's budget.
And yes, you are a fucking idiot.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Darkzone, there is really no need for you to waste the tips of your fingers by discussing these things with neckbearded shitlords. Take it easy man. You know that you are discussing things with the person who has no fucking clue what he is talking about and probably haven't seen a single update from the game (If he saw, it is actually even more pathetic, as it would imply he has serious brian disease and cannot grasp the single line from said updates).

The game may still be shit of course. But it will be due to the failed execution and not the concept (which is solid, unique and generally very good). It is simply too early to say at this point.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
wow this man is magnificently despicable

Alfons

Prophet
I would say wait and see. Too much discussion here about a game that hasn't been released.
I really advice you the look at their KS and Update videos and listen to what really they are saying.
My speculations are just that and I try to base them on what I see as opposed to what I hear or read from devs and fans,the reason for that is that in the end words have no weight.
I'm sure that almost everyone on this forum got a game or got hyped because of some promises the developers made,promises that were never realized.

In the end the game should be judged by the release version, until that is available all we have as reference is the footage of the current build and the words of the developers.
Both sources are unreliable in my opinion but based on experience I find the former to be more indicative of the final product.

Alfons

Prophet
But calling it "Skyrim without fantasy" sounds like you're trying too hard.
First person open world rpg set in a medieval world with what looks like lackluster combat and a fuckton of quests.
Has a lot of similarities,even if it turns out to be a great game it will still have most of those similarities.

Burning Bridges

But Skyrim is a piece of shit. It oozes awful taste from every pixel of its butt ugly textures and every tab of its inept UI.
Why do you think comparing a checklist of features will prove that KKD is like Skyrim? There is a lot of promise in its art direction and general approach, although I am also sceptical about the story and dialog I have seen.
At least if we are on the same boat that Vavra is a rockstar, his Mafia was a piece of art and not a GTA clone without CD player just because you are a gangster and drive cars in a city.
I am also not so concerned about combat because I still hope that it will not be the main part of the game, (I think) Vavra said combat was supposed to be something special and not just grind, and to be honest, fuck combat. I am tired of games that have combat as the only recurring gameplay element and force me to kill something around every corner.

Chunkyman

Augur
I was willing, able, and ready to give Vavra my monies for his First Person fuckfest due to his stance on #gamergate but then I made the mistake of reading his twitter feed uncovering lolbertarian sympathies. Pass.

I knew he was against "social justice" shit but I had no clue he was a libertarian (or at least sympathetic to it). Upping my pledge significantly, thanks for informing of this.

Alfons

Prophet
Skyrim is a piece of shit but taste,art direction and general approach are highly subjective while features are more objective.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
My response was provoked by comparison to Skyrim. It is like comparing Diablo 3 and Age of Decadence. They are both in top-down perspective and have RPG elements in it, but it is insane to compare them as AoD has much more down-to-earth story with very hard combat that occurs only if you really want it. And millions other things that differentiate them (different weight put on RPG elements, story, story-branching, C&C, combat-mode and so on).
Similarly, Skyrim is shovelware FPP fantasy with RPG elements where you kill popping-up enemies from generic ruins and caves in a shooting-gallery style with juvenile story for kids, and D:KC promises to be FPP with RPG elements, story-oriented, history-based setting, no fantasy as we know it from video games, with hard combat that is (hopefully) not the "meat" of the game.

Comparing them just because FPP, graphics and "RPG" plastered in marketing materials is plain silly. Of course they can flip-flop 180 degree and become another Skyrim, but it is not what is promised. Hence, my opinion to refrain from such comparison at this point of time.

There are some doubts of course as per: to ambitious for its budget etc. and one of Daniel.Vavra previous update was not what you would call "confidence-deliverer" (where he complained how he is lost in managing the growing studio and amount of challenges he is about to face post-kickstarter) but it seems like they finally got the shit together and this update is very good IMO showing a lot of progress. The game is not out for a year or probably more, so it is simply premature to vocalize such comparisons.

Last edited:

Higher Animal

Arcane
Higher Animal
I will fight for your right to say any nonsense that you want, but i will not approve it.
First of all learn the approach of west slavs towards freedom / liberties and rights, then learn why they disapprove the totalitarian states and their history of the last 1000 years. And last of all, learn more about the last 70 years of middle slav europe. And do this, before you make any statement concerning their viewpoint on this things. Chechien is not USA or any west european country, they have a right to say things that goes far beyond the rights of any anglo saxion or any western country.
You have the right to buy or not buy a game for any reason, but not to criticise him for his standpoint on certain things, which is also a product of their history and west slavic heritage. So you Pan Animal, think carefully about it.

This isn't about communism in his former country.

I would never use the mischaracterizations of LoLbertarian disputation for an argument.

"Disputation." Who actually uses that word without feeling pretentious? Your stilted word choice only ROFLects your own insecurities and self-doubt, and your politics ROFLect your love of your idol, LMAO Zedong.

"Disputation" is a medieval form of argument where the same methods of answering questions are used repeatedly. LOLbertarians receive inherited wisdom and parrot it back in debate with little sophistication or context. They reject empiricism and natural biology. My word choice was intended to convey a specific message about the types of people attracted to LOLbertarianism.

Burning Bridges

Similarly, Skyrim is shovelware FPP fantasy with RPG elements where you kill popping-up enemies from generic ruins and caves in a shooting-gallery style with juvenile story for kids, and D:KC promises to be FPP with RPG elements, story-oriented, history-based setting, no fantasy as we know it from video games, with hard combat that is (hopefully) not the "meat" of the game.

:bro:

marked the word that matters

I dont give a shit if Vavra is a libertarion or a communist. But he never made juvenile stuff, and now he is in charge of his own company so it could be even better.
And he makes pictures of himself doing survival in the forest, which do not look fake.

How is the story in Skyrim juvenile?

A state is subjugated. Former king rebels. There is civil war. Dragons and player with fantasy powers play into it. The way it's handled through quests, dialogues and whatnot can be juvenile but the story on its own? Because of fantasy elements? Or what?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom