Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Kingdom Come: Deliverance gets more trailers, now available for preorder on GOG

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: Kingdom Come: Deliverance; Warhorse Studios

Warhorse Studios' medieval Czech action-RPG Kingdom Come: Deliverance comes out in less than two weeks. Over the past few months, Warhorse have released a succession of increasingly impressive trailers and gameplay videos on their YouTube channel. The game is now available for preorder on GOG, which is a good excuse to post the latest of these. It's a story trailer called "A Blacksmith's Tale", referring to the young protagonist Henry, though it's also about the politics of early 15th century Bohemia. The trailer includes a decent look at the game's combat, and also at its Dan Vavra self-insert character. Check it out:

It should be noted that although Kingdom Come is now available for preorder on GOG, it's not coming out there until February 27th, giving Steam two weeks of exclusivity. Some sort of publisher shenanigan or piracy paranoia, no doubt.

• incline incline x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Doggy Doggy x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    Games from Steam get pirated within 1 day...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Bastion Novice

Bastion
    Parrots:
    They should make a challenge. The faster you manage to pirate it the sooner the game will be released on GOG.

• Shit Shit x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. MicoSelva Prestigious Gentleman Monstroterratum Furiosum Patron

MicoSelva
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
  5. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    Does Steam allow denuvo?

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • No No x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. MicoSelva Prestigious Gentleman Monstroterratum Furiosum Patron

MicoSelva
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Of course.

Steam is not DRM (there are many DRM-free games on Steam, which you just run from their exe files after downloading). Valve offers its own DRM solution (which is pretty weak AFAIK) within Steamworks pack, but it is not mandatory for every game.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. taxalot I request a spice shipment immediately. Patron

taxalot
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Why this talk about DRM ? There is going to be a GOG version.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. hivemind Arcane

hivemind
    Parrots:
    wow, swearing in the opening scene

how mature

:roll:

• Brofist x 4
    • Funny x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Pretty Liturgist Patron

Pretty
    Parrots:
    Gamers need to understand this!

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    I'm not making a normative statement about whether Steam is "really" DRM. I'm telling you that what's being referred to as "DRM" here as compared with GOG's DRM-free version appears to be Steam itself, or maybe Steamworks or whatever. If you want to say that both versions are DRM-free then feel free.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Leitz Learned

Leitz
    Parrots:
    (Kingdom) Come on all these trailers show the same boring shit. I don't understand your hype.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. MicoSelva Prestigious Gentleman Monstroterratum Furiosum Patron

MicoSelva
    Parrots:
    I have no clue whether Steam version of KCD will be DRM-free, they might be using Steamworks for all I know, but that DRM is very ineffective and would not justify a 2-week delay with piracy concerns in mind (Denuvo would), which makes me even more curious on why the delay exists in the first place.

On the other hand, GOG launch is kind of a surprise, since they never promised a DRM-free version of the game. Hopefully it's not one of those lesser GOG versions, when the developer stops supporting it after a while.

^ Top  
  14. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    But fitting for the time and location.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Smejki Warhorse Studios Developer

Smejki
    Parrots:
    No Denuvo

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Parrots:
    Eight years in the making!

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Parrots:
    Yeah. Too bad for the delay, as you said it won't change a thing in terms of piracy (the Steam version is gonna be cracked 30 minutes after the launch) and instead of people celebrating the DRM bersion they'll bitch about the delay. A missed potential.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Parrots:
    The real delay will be waiting for it to hit a Humble Bundle.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. darkpatriot Arcane

darkpatriot
    Parrots:
    No, requiring steam is still a form of DRM. Even if a game doesn't have the more involved DRM valve offers and you don't have to run steam to play it. Requiring steam (a third party app unnecessary to the functioning of the game) to install and receive updates is a method to manage your rights to digital content.

Steamtards always say, "but steam isn't really DRM!" Yes it is. Face reality.

DRM free means DRM free. Not lightweight DRM. Not partial DRM. Not limited DRM. It means no DRM.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Parrots:
    Kids today.

In my time, 10 years ago, people were butthurt about DRM because it was invasive and often prevented to you to play a legally obtained game.

Today people complain about shit like Steam or Denuvo as if they are some terrible burdens. Sometimes I feel like a war veteran who witnessed massacres and mass rapes hearing kids shouting that catcalling is sexual assault.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Goldfist Goldfist x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. darkpatriot Arcane

darkpatriot
    Parrots:
    I don't mind DRM as long as it is non-intrusive, although I prefer DRM free. Running a third party App (Steam) is incredibly intrusive. Requiring a constant internet connection is incredibly intrusive and often creates privacy concerns as every game that requires a constant internet connection collects some form of data.

A bit off topic but my main issue with steam is the games as a service business model. I love the move to digital downloads since I don't have to keep collections of CDs or DVDs anymore, but the games as a service business model chips away at consumer rights (which were always a bit sketchy in the games industry anyway with ever expansive EULAs) and steam is the poster boy of games as a service and has also done more to popularize it than any other company.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. TheSentinel Magister

TheSentinel
    Parrots:
    Requiring you to log in to GOG to install a game and receive updates is also method to manage your rights to digital content.
    At least until you can show me a way to grab the installers AND game updates without logging in to gog, legally.

^ Top  
  23. yyuse Literate

yyuse
    Parrots:
    there's also the fact that they are the undisputed monopoly

which is good for convenience, but kinda shit for a better service. i mean, yeah, gog is going along well enough and is an option for many games, but its kind of fucked up that steam only adopted a refund policy once the european union started biting their coat tails which is concerning.

for me at least, i find booting up steam really fucking annoying

even more so if you have steamguard enabled (if you're a trader or some shit you need this)

slow ass process. very unpleasant

bad argument

point of gog is that once you have those things you do NOT need gog to continue.
    point of steam is that you STILL NEED those things to continue

playing the games, that is.

^ Top  
  24. darkpatriot Arcane

darkpatriot
    Parrots:

Requiring you to purchase the game before they provide you a link to download the game files would not be considered DRM by any standard that anyone actually uses when using the term.

Assuming the patches were not released via other channels your statement could be true, although still a much lighter weight DRM than steam which requires installing a third party app to do the same thing. I don't know how common it is for patches to only be available locked behind an account at a digital download site when game otherwise has no DRM in this current day and age. As long as it was available via distribution channels not run by the publisher/developer or business affiliates that would be good enough to avoid that. As long as they didn't try and prevent the distribution of updates through non-official channels.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    ^ Top  
  25. Pizzashoes Educated

Pizzashoes
    Parrots:
    Bohemia is Austrian clay. Hopefully there's an option to become vassals to the Emperor.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)