Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

SlamDunk

Arcane
Smejki

I really hope that KCD is a success and manages to inspire other quality developers to brew a tasty batch of realistic historical RPGs for us to learn from and enjoy.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I want muh Assyrian historical rpg using this engine. Or some gupta gupta chasing buddha all over ancient india. Or some sweet-ass mayan virgin sacrifice simulator 2000.
Oh, the possibilities!

I want to play a neanderthal fending off the Homo sapiens mass invasion from Africa.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
A french online mag (whose opinion I trust) got to play the game at E3 and really tore KCD to pieces, saying the combat was still very clunky and the writing and VA uninspired.

Dayyālu

Arcane
A french online mag (whose opinion I trust) got to play the game at E3 and really tore KCD to pieces, saying the combat was still very clunky and the writing and VA uninspired.

Link?

KCD seems to be nice, but I don't know, I have this peculiar feeling that if they don't hit it right there's a good risk it will become the next eurotrash game. It's just a gut feeling.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
They say the combat looks like two drunkards in armor, the animations are stiff and awkward...Etc.
Sounds like the usual criticism towards games from Central and Eastern Europe. It's not exactly news either if you've watched the gameplay videos.

Was there anything of interest said about the actual mechanics?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
What a surprise. The combat is this game's weakest link.

I mean the game seems seems excellent in every aspect (and I do hope it is), but ever since they showed the combat it has been quite obvious that it's the worst aspect of it.

They should have done what the guy's of Mordhau did, improve Mount & Blade combat while keeping it similiar enough.

SlamDunk

Arcane
something's telling me the story is gonna be a complete snortfest
Have you played Mafia and Mafia 2? Those games have one of the best stories and story implementations in gaming, at least to my taste, and they were also written by Daniel Vávra. That's one of the main reasons I'm so excited about KCD.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
to be honest, i never expected the combat in this to be that good. maybe above elder scrolls, but first person melee combat will always feel iffy.

so long the game has good quests and exploration and chance to lollygag around i will love it. bonus if the story is actually good and well written

I dunno, KCD could turn out to be complete trash for all I know, but I just don't trust these media guys. I remember how some of the greatest games of all time were trashed by these clowns while they would praise any crappy product from a big studio. Gothic got really luke-warm reviews back in the day, the first Hitman got something like 5.4 from Gamespot, and so on. It's amazing to what depth they will go to, to point our the smallest deficiency in games from unknown developers while ignoring the massive issues in Bethesda or Bioware games.

And also, most of these guys have no clue about historical HEMA type combat. Maybe what to him is clunky is actually realistic and deep. Remember, these are the kinds of people that praise the pirouettes that Geralt does in Witcher combat as elegant, ignoring the fact that no one with an IQ of over 20 would try something like that in actual fencing. So I will wait and see.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Here is a nice video and interview from E3 with some new footage (ignore the dumb Oblivion clickbait BS)

Tbh I think the combat is great mechanics-wise, but it does not look especially good (stiff animations) and it requires some actual skill (so ofcourse dumb frenchmen are gonna whine)

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
I am surprised by how little animation variation there still is in combat - that's not actually combat related. The attacks and parries look good, but the faces animate very little and reactions are mostly strange. And people break into a casual jog at inappropriate times, or just start walking away. There needs to be more variation for "OMG exciting battle situation" for these movement animations.

Another way to explain this - combatants always look super focused on just the thing they're doing. (and it's VERY obvious the combat was designed as a dueling system) There should be animations blended in of reactions to their surroundings - so if you're pushing them, they look behind them. If there's someone running nearby, their eyes dart, or their head turns for a bit, or they do some kind of surprised reaction.
They need to adjust their helmet in the middle of combat, or spit, look around nervously.

These are super difficult to do in a simulation, I know, but that's the way to improve how combat looks.

Last edited:
You could've used the same criticism against Operation Flashpoint, back in the day. Compared to the smooth and exciting run-n-gun action of contemporary shooters, its combat system felt clunky and dull. Unless you actually played it. Then you realized it was a thousand times more interesting than the other arcadey bs.

It's the difference between the dance-like gamey melee combat, which looks elegant to someone clueless about how things actually work, and a HEMA youtube video. There is already more than enough of the former, so let us have the latter.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
No. HEMA can look good, this looks clunky.
The difference being, this is "HEMA" mapped to keyboard and controller schemes, so the animators are restricted by artificial options players could reasonably manage. Maybe blending fewer movements is actually harder, given the unnatural window of options, because the animations have to depict assorted combinations. Then, if player skill is the decisive factor they say it is, for a game barely anyone's played, I'm not surprised all the footage looks clunky. If Warhorse nail the basic concept this time, they can translate situational awareness the next time. I'm skeptical, their maiden voyage should have been a tighter combat sim - no stowy time, no libraries of voice acting - but I don't want to write this one off yet.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
something's telling me the story is gonna be a complete snortfest
Have you played Mafia and Mafia 2? Those games have one of the best stories and story implementations in gaming, at least to my taste, and they were also written by Daniel Vávra. That's one of the main reasons I'm so excited about KCD.

Yeah, and there's no doubt about Dan's talent. But Mafia's NYC-alike setting was exciting, whereas running around with a tin-canned Slav in the Bohemian hills might prove to be anti-climatic. We're gonna see.

Starwars

Arcane
Why does one of those guys around the 17 minute mark in the video above sound like Brian Fargo?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom