Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Need to see new combat vids.

ArchAngel

Arcane
some of these shots looks pretty photorealistic. great job
Not even close. And the shots from that twitter above also didn't look that awesome and were running at 29 fps on a very powerful computer.
Personally I expected graphics and hardware to progress faster from the time of 1st Crysis that was many years ago now.
I think I am just going to ignore all these games that are proud of their graphics for next 10+ years until we actually get something worthy of being called photorealistic.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dude edginess aside, if you arent impressed by the last photo for example, you have issues. But running well is important of course

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

This. But don't get your hopes up. Combat will almost certainly be so hard and complex it'll appeal only to Skallagrim and a few like him. I know my fellow prestigious gamers - they all say they want complex, sophisticated combat but in reality they want Diablo. Or Dark Souls at best (DS combat is fun in the bun but reality-level complex it is not).

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
But DS combat isn't "fun". It is masochistic.

In some regards, KCD combat is even worse.

Really can't foresee massive commercial success for this one, unless the hiking in the wilds aspect appeals to wider customer segment than I thought.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Dude edginess aside, if you arent impressed by the last photo for example, you have issues. But running well is important of course
Go and find screenshots from Crysis 1, and that is 2007. Compare to this shit 10 years later and you will see what I am talking about. Then go to 1997 and compare that with Crysis 1.
Maybe I am unrealistic but I expected more in 10 years.
EDIT: For example
crysis1.jpg
EDIT2:
Or this one:
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Go and find screenshots from Crysis 1, and that is 2007. Compare to this shit 10 years later and you will see what I am talking about. Then go to 1997 and compare that with Crysis 1.
I've played Crysis. The foliage in these screens are miles better than there. If someone showed me the last photo without mentioning anything about the game, I would easily believe it's a real location

ArchAngel

Arcane
I've played Crysis. The foliage in these screens are miles better than there. If someone showed me the last photo without mentioning anything about the game, I would easily believe it's a real location
Check out my last post with edits. And now tell me truthfully graphics advanced enough in 10 years? Now go and compare those images to games from 1997.

ArchAngel

Arcane
EDIT2:
Or this one:
maxresdefault.jpg

That's a stock photograph from 2012

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail...ildflower-forest-royalty-free-image/108329265

Edit: The other screenshot is a mod - CryZENx's Photorealistic Mod. I am unable to ascertain a specific date for it, but it seems to be at least 2013.
Actually this one was shown as part of the mod. At least that is what I found when I googled Crysis 1. And a mod will up the details but engine underneath will still be same and have same limitations.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Actually this one was shown as part of the mod. At least that is what I found when I googled Crysis 1. And a mod will up the details but engine underneath will still be same and have same limitations.

Are you really arguing that a 2007 game with modern textures and modern shaders running on modern hardware is a good example of technology from 2007?

In that case, allow me to show you some screenshots from that lovely 2002 game, Morrowind.

ae8453a6a1.png

6baad37549.png

That was 5 years before Crysis! Wow. Looks like they managed to improve the lighting and models a bit in those 5 years, but otherwise it looks about the same. Where's the progress?????

ArchAngel

Arcane

Are you really arguing that a 2007 game with modern textures and modern shaders running on modern hardware is a good example of technology from 2007?

In that case, allow me to show you some screenshots from that lovely 2002 game, Morrowind.

ae8453a6a1.png

6baad37549.png

That was 5 years before Crysis! Wow. Looks like they managed to improve the lighting and models a bit in those 5 years, but otherwise it looks about the same. Where's the progress?????
Except it looks worse than vanilla Crysis as it should. Much much worse.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Ok butthurt brigade:
A picture from review of Crysis 1:
The one your are all autistic about from KC: D is not how you are going to see it in the game but they basically made to be as best as possible from their engine. The one from the game when people are able to play it at 60 fps are not going to look like a 10 year improvement over this one above.

Now lets compare the above picture with something from 1997:
Quake 2:
quake2_tweaked1.jpg
Tomb Raider 2
331bcbe00fc91bbf1489c328696072f0.jpg
Tie Fighter
68d6d3cdd3f703888dc597644bb09d7c.jpg

Now go kill yourselves in a fire idiots.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Not sure if these shots are old or not:

3214368-7905394854-30926.jpg

3214361-25448866092_2dfe553df4_o.png

3214400-25472946181_8685a463c8_o.png

The vegetations/forests in this game are probably the most realistic I've seen in a game, regardless if the graphics are the most advanced to date or not. It really looks and feels like a real forest when you're passing through it.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not sure if these shots are old or not:

3214368-7905394854-30926.jpg

3214361-25448866092_2dfe553df4_o.png

3214400-25472946181_8685a463c8_o.png

The vegetations/forests in this game are probably the most realistic I've seen in a game, regardless if the graphics are the most advanced to date or not. It really looks and feels like a real forest when you're passing through it.

If I would nitpick them, I'd say in the second and third screenshots, those small plants look like they're missing ambient occlusion, they look kinda out of place:

GeKJ0iP.png

7dAcn2p.png

Darkzone

Arcane
Ok butthurt brigade.
Ok before i go deep into 3d engines and etc. I say something very simple:
It is easy to improve something from 0% to 50%, but thereafter every for every improvent of 50% you got the pay at least double the cost.
So to make it more simple:
You for 75% you pay 2x the cost of what you needed to reach 50%. For 87.5% you pay 4x the costs and for 92.75 you pay 8x the cost. To name this exponential functions should be normaly enough among smart people who know something about programming and graphics.
There is only a slight improvement between a 512 tris barrel and a 1024 tris barrel, but a very large improvement between a 64 tris barrel and a 128 tris barrel. The same applies to textures and etc.
Now think very carefully about it and at best compare KCDs graphics with other current games graphics, like MEA or TW3 or ....
Btw they seem to be very sloppy with some resources like the RAM, so it could be that they waste space and display unnecessary assets (or use to few LODs models for the assets) that are concealed from the players view.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

This. But don't get your hopes up. Combat will almost certainly be so hard and complex it'll appeal only to Skallagrim and a few like him. I know my fellow prestigious gamers - they all say they want complex, sophisticated combat but in reality they want Diablo. Or Dark Souls at best (DS combat is fun in the bun but reality-level complex it is not).
I bet it will *look* p. realistic since they are into HEMA and shit, I'm more concerned if it will work realistically.

I just want a system that captures the essence of real HEMA stuff, that is an intelligent system where everything revolves around responding. You learn some basic rules (in real life, these rules would be quite many, but in a game they can be simplified to a manageable number where you won't have to learn the system for 2 years), and then use them. Rule 1: if enemy does this guard, you respond with that guard to counter. Rule 2: if enemy uses this attack, respond with that parry. Rule 3: feint this way, and if enemy bites, perform that attack. And so on.

Having to perform these kinds of decisions in real time would make for a really cool, tactical but also exciting combat.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
It won't hurt to have 1(one) game with sort of a half-hearted attempt at realistic-ish fighting for a change.
In the beta it was so slow I doubt it'll be all that hard tbh. Is there going to be seamless grappling/dagger attacks?

More concerned with the controls for the fighting...

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Combat will very likely be this game's greatest fail. The problem is that they tried to make the most realistic Medieval combat system as possible. In other words it will be boring as fuck.
They seem to forget that is still a game. Not only it is nearly impossible to fully implement HEMA stuff because there are various limitations, but also in the end their product needs to be entertaining and that's what really matters.

This is something that the Mordhau developers managed to score perfectly. A combat system that captatures some of that HEMA feel, while being still fun and challenging.

Not saying this game will be bad. From what I've seem the other aspects like exploration, world building, quests and the remaining gameplay mechanics they seem to be truly great. So I'll definetivly try it out once it releases.

ChasinTheTrane

Literate
Combat will very likely be this game's greatest fail. The problem is that they tried to make the most realistic Medieval combat system as possible. In other words it will be boring as fuck.
They seem to forget that is still a game. Not only it is nearly impossible to fully implement HEMA stuff because there are various limitations, but also in the end their product needs to be entertaining and that's what really matters.

This is something that the Mordhau developers managed to score perfectly. A combat system that captatures some of that HEMA feel, while being still fun and challenging.

Not saying this game will be bad. From what I've seem the other aspects like exploration, world building, quests and the remaining gameplay mechanics they seem to be truly great. So I'll definetivly try it out once it releases.

I can't get too excited about Kingdom Come ever since I found Mordhau. I'm hoping I'm not building up too much hype, though. :?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
kys imbecile.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom