Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
German media reported some detail on the quick save functionality - at first it reads like a joke. To use quick save, you have to drink a shot of Slivowitz ("Savowitz"), which gives you a slight stat boost. But if you quick save too often ("before every dialogue or before every lock"), you get reduced stats from constantly drinking. You can also become an alcoholic and have to cure this by sleeping or potions.

Wow, they really are going hard on the Polish authenticity, aren't they. I don't get the reduced stats thing, though. Surely, if it's set in Poland, it should be a steady continuum of 'absolutely no fucking effect', followed by 'passed out drunk for a week'. I'm not saying that the Polish have any greater or lesser alcohol tolerance than the rest of us. They seem to end up in the same place at the end of it all. They just seem to skip all the intermediary steps of 'tipsy, then happy-talkative, then happy-dancing, then sort-of-lecherous, then downbeat, then crying on your friend's shoulder' in the middle.
Dude, they're Czech, not poles.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Stop spreading racist stereotypes, ok. And the restricted saving in an rpg-ish game is imo a bad idea. Go too far with the LARPing and the game is going to be a chore rather than fun.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
During the demonstration they repeatedly said that "it's still a game" and therefore their restrictions (saving, combat, etc.) won't be too punishing.

German media reported some detail on the quick save functionality - at first it reads like a joke. To use quick save, you have to drink a shot of Slivowitz ("Savowitz"), which gives you a slight stat boost. But if you quick save too often ("before every dialogue or before every lock"), you get reduced stats from constantly drinking. You can also become an alcoholic and have to cure this by sleeping or potions.

Wow, they really are going hard on the Polish authenticity, aren't they. I don't get the reduced stats thing, though. Surely, if it's set in Poland, it should be a steady continuum of 'absolutely no fucking effect', followed by 'passed out drunk for a week'. I'm not saying that the Polish have any greater or lesser alcohol tolerance than the rest of us. They seem to end up in the same place at the end of it all. They just seem to skip all the intermediary steps of 'tipsy, then happy-talkative, then happy-dancing, then sort-of-lecherous, then downbeat, then crying on your friend's shoulder' in the middle.

Sorry, should have clarified. I meant 'Southwest Poland':). Or 'North-Slavia', to be more precise. The borders are ill-defined if you're going by the map, but when you're in the actual area it's pretty easy, just look for the passed out guys with vodka bottles on the train and you know you've crossed from Europe into Slavia.

Last edited:

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Sorry, should have clarified. I meant 'Southwest Poland':). Or 'North-Slavia', to be more precise. The borders are ill-defined if you're going by the map, but when you're in the actual area it's pretty easy, just look for the passed out guys with vodka bottles on the train and you know you've crossed from Europe into Slavia.
Bro, we don't even drink vodka that much, just copious amounts of beer.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Some serious geographical confusion here. But you're an Anglo so it's expected.

As for vodka drinking, just a tidbit of wisdom - the more boozy a nation is, the clearer alcohol they drink, since clear booze is the best for your next day well being. Anglos are chumps so they drink brown whisky. Czechs and Polaks are in the middle so we drink mainly fruit spirits and Polaks herb vodkas. And the Ruskis re the top drinkers in the world so they drink the purest vodka they can produce. (I'm told the Finns do this too but can't confirm).

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Tobi and Martin are introducing the 1st Quest in Kingdom Come: Deliverance. See the complex quest structure of the game and get new insights into the development of Kingdom Come: Deliverance. They are also answering questions about the game and are discussing interesting current topics. Let's take a look!

As for vodka drinking, just a tidbit of wisdom - the more boozy a nation is, the clearer alcohol they drink, since clear booze is the best for your next day well being. Anglos are chumps so they drink brown whisky. Czechs and Polaks are in the middle so we drink mainly fruit spirits and Polaks herb vodkas. And the Ruskis re the top drinkers in the world so they drink the purest vodka they can produce. (I'm told the Finns do this too but can't confirm).

In fairness, I'll also give you that I met more hot Czech women (only the women) when I headed through there for a couple of weeks (yes, I am well aware that it seriously compounds my error to have been to each of these countries) than anywhere else in Europe. Only place I've been where he average attractiveness of females is higher than in Australia. Plus in Australia, they age/wrinkle earlier due to the much greater sun exposure and lack of ozone later, so whilst our relative quality is at number 1 until mid 30s, it novedives bigtime after that.

I assume that Czech is like the scandinavian countries/Scotland, where the lack of sun means that by 45 people look 10 years younger than Aussies of the same age.

Edit: but unless your drinking habits have changed massively in last 15 years, I'm standing by my 'border crossings as delineated by the sudden exchange of ordinary travellers and business commuters for random folk passed out with vodka bottle in hand. I'll accept that I may have been mistaken about the type of spirits involved (I assume that it's safer to try and grab the gun from a French Gendarme than a bottle of spirits from a passed out slav, so it's not like I was studying the bottles carefully.)

Same thing works in British trains, as you get the 'lads and ladettes' tyes drinking beer on the London tube and first few stops of intercity train north, then you start seeing a few ciders and ales once you're properly north of London, and then as you reach Edinburgh it's these cheap plastic cider bottles that, at that time, were cheaper than buying water from the same outlet ('white lightning', I think the name was).

Last edited:

Yeah, I'll believe that. Used to live with a guy who managed his 'drink like an alcoholic fish' period for longer than anyone else I've known without falling apart during or after, and he was drinking the shithouse vodka - Smirnoff Red, the cheapest shit you can get here without going into obvious antifreeze territory. Never ever mixed it - always straight from the bottle, always kept at least 3 bottles in the freezer because he liked it icy but without watering it down by inserting actual ice.

I'd occasionally try buying him good vodka for birthdays and the like (though I'd be relying on bottle shop's advice, as I'm not a vodka drinker - usually Grey Goose or Bellevedere - no idea whether they're actually good, or just 'standard bottle shop advice' good). He'd still prefer the shithouse Smirnoff Red, and we'd spend at least 3 work-nights drinking from around the time we got home to about 2am, + the weekends, and I'd often find him having started drinking at 10am on a Sat/Sun, bottle of vodka in hand. Can't imagine doing that with even the best whisky, and I'm a guy who never drinks straight vodka, but absolutely loves Islay scotches like Laphroig/Ardberg.

Would have thought brandy/cognac/armagnac might be an exception though. It's got the alcohol content of a spirit, but originally it was just 'dehydrated wine' - wine was taxed by volume in the middle ages, so merchants would evaporate out as much water as possible (also meant they could transport more of it), then added the water back in after paying the tax. With time, they found out that the wooden barrels they were carring it in gave the stuff its own flavour, and smoothed out the dehdrated wine to the point where some customers would enjoy drinking it straight. Then the French, Spanish etc added a pot-still to the process, and it became a spirit. Still, the base ingredient is wine, and good brandies are made from good wine, so I'm not sure the same rules would apply.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron

C0Nyd1fXAAIhCOs.jpg

Paul_cz

Arcane
https://forum.kingdomcomerpg.com/t/warhorse-studios-weekly-torch/29593/40

1) How did you get the idea of making Kingdom Come Deliverance?
I was always interested in history. When I was a little kid, I drew pictures of huuuuge medieval battles. My grandparents took me to all the castles and I wanted to make a medieval game even before we started working on Mafia. We even had a prototype of it in 1998. Hell, back in 1995 or so, we were working on something similar to Elder Scrolls Arena where you would be a scribe to a knight…

2) Describe your position. What is it about being a Creative Director?
I came up with the idea of the game, then started the company with Martin, wrote most of the design document with Victor, and then I prepared the outline of the story. I then lead the team and I’m basically that annoying guy who needs to have his fingers and last word in almost everything that gets into the game. I also wrote quite a few of the main quests, directed the actors, and hell, I even did some of the icons. Most of the directors do just the “management” and vision stuff, so I am doing it all wrong and everybody hates me for giving them advice on how to do stuff that they are better at then I am :)

3) The Region of Rataje and Sázava offers some very beautiful places with an interesting history. How did you find this piece of landscape?
When I chose the events that are in the background of the game, I was literally checking out the history of every castle, town, and village in the region (literally hundreds of places), in that particular year. Even if I couldn’t get some more info about what happened there (or interesting inspirations of some real-world events), I found Skalitz and Ratay, which played an important role in this little war, which is what the game is all about.

4) Which job would you not want to do? Why?
Programmer. I’m really bad at math.

5) Please describe Warhorse Studios:
Well, we have a very flat structure, so everybody can talk to anyone at any time. I guess that Americans especially would be a little shocked that it’s possible to just come to the CEO of the company and tell him that his idea (to do something) is really stupid and still have a job the next day, which is a daily routine over here at Warhorse Studios :) Currently, it’s also very busy and very tense right now. There’s a lot of very complex work with a very tight schedule and there’s lots of issues to solve. So, it’s definitely not just “shiny, happy people”.

6) Why is Kingdom Come Deliverance called Kingdom Come Deliverance?
People at the time really believed that the end of the world was coming, especially the Hussites (a few years after the events in our game). Deliverance is a story thing and it was also a very cool Amiga game and a very good Opeth album :)

7) Why did you choose the year 1403 and not the Hussite wars period?
I wanted to begin when it all started and eventually continue to the Hussite wars in the future. Furthermore, we are building the technology, the combat system and everything else, so we would not be able to create such epic events as those that happened during these wars. When we are ready, I want to make sure that everything is done properly.

8) You did a lot of research for Kingdom Come Deliverance, what turned out to be completely different from what you expected?
There were lots of myths about medieval times that turned out to be really stupid. Combat and sword fighting were totally different than in the movies. The times were not as dirty, brown, cruel and dangerous when there was no war. Actually, all was quite colorful: they had lower taxes then we have today and even the crime rate was quite lower than most big cities today. What shocked me was, when I got into the intrigues of the nobility - it was much more complicated than the craziest plots of Game of Thrones. The ability of nobles to switch sides, ally with their worst enemies, and then switch again the next week is really unbelievable. I still don’t get how they could come along with each other.

.....there is lot more in the link.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Vávra has such glorious no fucks given sense of humor :mrpresident::russiastronk:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom