Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I'm pretty sure every item on that table is made out of potatoes lel

Even beer sounds potatoish

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
inb4 "there is no traditional Czech cuisine"

What reason would anyone have to say that? Most central/eastern Yuro cuisines - Czech, Polish, Hungarian, Russian and Bulgarian especially - are very distinctive and traditional. Also quite well known I'd reckon, due to all the Slav immigrants flooding the Teuton world in the 1990s.
I was ironically alluding to the ridiculous Witcher article that suggested that there was no Polish authentic folklore/mythology and therefore it was totally awesome to dictate to Poles how to depict their cultural heritage. I have eaten and very much enjoyed traditional Czech cuisine (as well as traditional Hungarian, Ukranian, and Russian food).

Got bored and left

inb4 "there is no traditional Czech cuisine"

What reason would anyone have to say that? Most central/eastern Yuro cuisines - Czech, Polish, Hungarian, Russian and Bulgarian especially - are very distinctive and traditional. Also quite well known I'd reckon, due to all the Slav immigrants flooding the Teuton world in the 1990s.
I was ironically alluding to the ridiculous Witcher article that suggested that there was no Polish authentic folklore/mythology and therefore it was totally awesome to dictate to Poles how to depict their cultural heritage. I have eaten and very much enjoyed traditional Czech cuisine (as well as traditional Hungarian, Ukranian, and Russian food).

What in the actual fuck. Where can I read this incredible thing?

Got bored and left

Wow. The fact that this was written by (apparently) an actual Pole boggles the mind. Luckily, things like this also exist, just to balance things out with reason and a proper Polish perspective.

But to bring the discussion back on track, everybody knows there's no such thing as Czech culture. :troll:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Vavra's religious affiliation is public knowledge:

Thanks, and yes, I remember one of his acolytes wearing a "Odin instead of Jesus" shirt in one of the video updates.

I guess historical accuracy is going to get thrown out the window on this. What year is the game supposed to be set in?

1403. I wouldn't worry about historical sloppiness on this. They've employed a full time historian to do all the research down to the smallest detail. Apparently they've removed white chicken from the game when it turned out it's a product of much later breeding.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
There are shitloads of HEMA masters just in Eastern Yurop alone, why on Earth would they hire Harrison Ford's personal trainer from California?

skallagrim brofists this? Are you the Youtube dude? If so, kewl. Quit being a lurker and join the fun man. :cool: Maybe we could put to rest the rumpus about whether or not the current HEMA techniques are mostly for show or if they'd be useful in real life and death fights.

Gord

Arcane
Depends on what aspect of historical accuracy one is concerned about. With the proper counceling it shouldn't be too difficutl to accurately depict architecture, clothing, tools, anmials, etc.
When it comes to peoples mindset (i.e. their outlook on life, religion, various superstitions, etc.), it will probably be much more difficult (impossible, probably) - in a way we are as stuck in our modern mindset as they were in theirs, respectively.

Got bored and left

There are shitloads of HEMA masters just in Eastern Yurop alone, why on Earth would they hire Harrison Ford's personal trainer from California?

skallagrim brofists this? Are you the Youtube dude? If so, kewl. Quit being a lurker and join the fun man. :cool: Maybe we could put to rest the rumpus about whether or not the current HEMA techniques are mostly for show or if they'd be useful in real life and death fights.

Sadly, no. From profile posts: "Nope, I stole the name. BUT I didn't steal it from the guy on youtube. It was from Skalla-Grímr Kveldúlfsson and his son Egill Skallagrímsson, two vikings known from Egil's Saga."

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Hm. That's like me prancing around the internet as TotalBiscuit and then explaining "Oh no, i just totally like biscuits is all."

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
But to bring the discussion back on track, everybody knows there's no such thing as Czech culture.
The so called "Czechs" are nothing but confused Germans who for some reason are speaking a bastardized version of Slovakian. :troll:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Depends on what aspect of historical accuracy one is concerned about. With the proper counceling it shouldn't be too difficutl to accurately depict architecture, clothing, tools, anmials, etc.
When it comes to peoples mindset (i.e. their outlook on life, religion, various superstitions, etc.), it will probably be much more difficult (impossible, probably) - in a way we are as stuck in our modern mindset as they were in theirs, respectively.

That's a given really. Best we can hope for is a decent visual representation and fun gameplay, which in this day and age are already hard to come by. Hell, we would already be lucky if the story and writing don't end up being total shit. I'm not expecting some work of genius that captures the spirit of the middle ages in all of its complex facets. Just something that doesn't give me the urge to blow my own brains out, the way Bethesda games do.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm not expecting some work of genius that captures the spirit of the middle ages in all of its complex facets. Just something that doesn't give me the urge to blow my own brains out, the way Bethesda games do.

There's zero chance it'll be anywhere near as retarded and casual as a Bethesda game. As for authentical mindset and zeitgeist, best I expect is a skillful immitation. You wanna transport completely into the early 15th century? Read Canterbury Tales.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
He said he wants to present a lot of conflicts and "cultures" in this game, mainly the German / Czech conflicts / relations, with the Wenceslaus IV vs. Sigismund being the driving conflict of the game. But the year of course also the Hussite / Catholic lets you expect also some Hussite / Catholic church conflicts, foreshadowing the Council of Constance.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
If they put a Romanesque or Gothic church that actually looks like a real one i'd go in it to pray lol LARPing. :M

Cadmus

Arcane
Lovely. I still remember this Vavra's quote and I'm glad he puts so much work into his own game.
34. Nobody in Bethesda has the faintest idea what is vault ceiling of stones good for. Stone ceiling can not be flat, because rock is not reinforced concrete. In the whole game you can come across various flat ceilings, gates and other absurdities that deny the laws of physics. No decent artist could make something like that without having to harakiri themselves afterwards from shame.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Best part of that video: the artist has an open beer on his desk at 1:30 in the afternoon.

Say what you will about Europe, but US companies could learn a thing or two.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Best part of that video: the artist has an open beer on his desk at 1:30 in the afternoon.

Beer is full of cheap calories and minerals. Plus it's great to induce that vital siesta nap.

Impressive, but would the Church look that old and worn out?

They say it right in the video dude. Vavra wonders about that same thing but apparently it's been consulted and in 1403 this specific church was already several hundred years old.

EDIT: I checked it out and it's the romanesque Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary built in 1175.

P1000467.jpg

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom