Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Darkzone

Arcane
A forest that actually looks like a forest. Huh.
Problem is in Middle Ages there actually weren't that many forests, just freely standing in the freeware countryside. The richest lords had some, as their private hunting grounds, but other than that everything was cut down for firewood or timber.
I guess they decided to pass on that particular historical detail so we won't be running around the virtual equivalent of Ukraine - fields, fields and more fields.

Perhaps this applies to Bohemia, but even then i wouldn't be sure about this. Because the last living urus or aurochs was killed in poland in 17th or 18th century, the last free living wisents in WW1. But this was in bialowieza, once the protected hunting ground of the polish kings.
Nearly all mighty noblemen keep forests as their own hunting grounds and then the were the swamps. The swamps around Rom were dried out by mussolini and the pripet swamps were dried out by the soviets after WW2. Ukraine has the best grounds for plantation of crops in europe called black earth, but why the ukrainians cannot properly use this, i cannot tell you. Bohemia had a large population density in the middle ages compared to Poland or Hungary, so yes the amount of forests in bohemia should be far less than this of poland and ukraine in this times (around 10 million people for 1 million km^2, poland itself had only 3.5 million ). HRE had in 1500AD only 12 million people.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
So how realistic is their "realistic" combat after all? Example: your femoral artery is cut. Do you bleed out and die in 5 minutes?

otsego

Cipher
I had a brief look at this game at E3 at it looked quite impressive. In fact, I didn't even know they were going to be there until I saw Based Daniel standing outside the door. There was limited time and they were already in the middle of a demonstration, but it looked beautiful and more historical fantasy than high fantasy (Dungeons without the Dragons, so they say).

The combat looked heavy and technical, and probably one of the only games I can personally recall seeing a half-sword technique used rather than sloppy overhead swings.

But I was barely aware of this game until I then, and now I need to go back to page 1 and read through this thread.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
1) respecting the first proper maps from early 18th century

But such forests are too boring to look at. What we do respect however is the composition of tree species.

18th century European villages were in many respect poorer than high and late Medieval villages.

It is true that Bohemia was fairly deforested compared to the rest of the empire but to the point that most forests would only be artificial private ones like that?

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
So how realistic is their "realistic" combat after all? Example: your femoral artery is cut. Do you bleed out and die in 5 minutes?
realistic != simulationistic
A slight difference for some, I know, yet after all difference it is.
Also it's injury system, not combat system. We never claimed to have realistic injuries :-P

However we all know For Honor is THE game when it comes to "realistück kombat". Rite, rite?

Smejki

Developer
1) respecting the first proper maps from early 18th century

But such forests are too boring to look at. What we do respect however is the composition of tree species.

18th century European villages were in many respect poorer than high and late Medieval villages.

It is true that Bohemia was fairly deforested compared to the rest of the empire but to the point that most forests would only be artificial private ones like that?
That picture is of course a photo of an american monoculture wood plantation and as such is an exaggeration.
This and this is more what it should look like, while we are doing this semi-wild stuff which is more contemporary yet still far from wild (actual Czech wild forest or primary/virgin forest to be precise)

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The attention to detail is really encouraging, Smejki, but the million dollar question is: how much of the combat gameplay will be stat based and how much of it will be action/player input based? How important are the STATS in the game?

Smejki

Developer
The attention to detail is really encouraging, Smejki, but the million dollar question is: how much of the combat gameplay will be stat based and how much of it will be action/player input based? How important are the STATS in the game?
Frankly I don't know exactly as combat is completely separate from my work. Also I don't care that much as I always focus more on RP in RPGs.

However from what I experienced gameplay is very player-skill based so you can't do shit without proper input and reactions, yet all this is heavily influenced by numbers. The basic pre-requirement is to learn the system properly (learn the interface, the moves and countermoves, learn the specifics of positioning, PC/NPC kinetics, learn to read the enemy etc.) the second one is to get proper equipment, stats and perks. So rather than Fallout 3, where you can kill a supermutant with default pistol using degenerate strategies it's closer to Alpha Protocol (let's forget AP combat was shit) where you have to aim, cover, switch weapons, read the environment and run around while numbers limit your abilities or influence your chance of success. Or New Vegas where numbers behind combat played much more significant role (compared to Fallout 3). Yet you were the one aiming and shooting these numbers at other moving numbers, eventually getting numbers in order to be better at getting numbers from other sources.
So yeah it is action based with numbers like Diablo, not purely numbers based like XCOM.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
FINALLY a somewhat straight answer! Wish I could brofist twice.

The more I learn about the game, the more interested I become. Now all we have to do is hope for KC: D to actually DELIVER all that good stuff they are promising AND for Smejki to have a thick enough skin to keep on posting here AFTER the game is released and some people inevitably hate it. You can't please everyone and this is the Codex.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Got around watching the video. Visually it looks really great, down to combat animations, which are probably the best i've ever seen in a first person melee game. Needless to say, game will probably be shit anyway trololo Codex.

Ahem, anyway. One thing i find puzzling was how you voiced the player's character. Was that really necessary? Couldn't you have gone the Half Life route? Kinda seems like a waste of resources to me.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Vavra is a sucker for a good story, having made one of the first "cinematic" games with good writing in the first Mafia. Hence the set protagonist and voiced everything, Witcher 3-style.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I see. Never played Mafia before, so i don't really have a point of reference. Should probably fix that one of this days.

Ptosio

Arcane
Vavra is a sucker for a good story, having made one of the first "cinematic" games with good writing in the first Mafia. Hence the set protagonist and voiced everything, Witcher 3-style.

This kind of sucks, full voice acting always restricts you a lot in an RPG, especially if you don't have anything resembling a bloated budget.

BTW I've read this article forum.kingdomcomerpg.com/t/poll-voiceovers-accents-and-archaic-language/22700 but have they already decided how the languages would work? Will you be able to play it in a "realistic" mode where everyone would speak their own language, be it Czech, German or Latin?

EDIT: On the other hand, with no disrespect intended for our Bohemian Bros, I would probably not be able to play the game in Czech and still treat it seriously:D
:troll:

Ptosio

Arcane
Correct me if I'm wrong*, but wasn't it that after 1620 the Czech language was progressively pushed back into villages and when the Czech National Revival became a thing in the 19th century, the "revivalists" discovered that the language, charming as it may be, cannot serve the needs of a modern society without using a shitton of germanisms? So what they did to de-germanize the way they spoke? They borrowed wholeheartedly from the nearby Slavic languages and altered these words a bit to form their own and that's the reason why Czech can sound quite...curious for us:D
So while a 15th century Bohemian would have a full right to jest at my uncouth speech and heathen ways, it's sadly not like this anymore, now this privilege is fully on my side:D

*I think I've read somewhere you had a Polish historical consultant, she may clarify a thing or to if she dares:P

BTW, out of curiosity, can we except any Polish inqusition filthy intruders and generally people of other colors and races ethnicities than Czech and German? Or maybe at least some subtle references to Sapkowski's works?:P:outrage: Is the game fully set in 1403, or only begins in that year and then continues onto the Hussite Wars?

Smejki

Developer
Correct me if I'm wrong*, but wasn't it that after 1620 the Czech language was progressively pushed back into villages and when the Czech National Revival became a thing in the 19th century, the "revivalists" discovered that the language, charming as it may be, cannot serve the needs of a modern society without using a shitton of germanisms? So what they did to de-germanize the way they spoke? They borrowed wholeheartedly from the nearby Slavic languages and altered these words a bit to form their own and that's the reason why Czech can sound quite...curious for us:D
Simplistic but yes we are closer tied to German culture and language than any other Slavic tongue. We use some German speech patterns (sometimes as secondary mode), similar diction and we did domesticate a big part of vocabulary (but very often, just like with the patterns, we use a 'czechisized' german equivalent as a mere synonymum). As for the borrowing and changes from other Slavs, yes it happened in some way but I am no expert in this field so I cannot comment on actual processes nor the scale of it all. Fact is hat even prior to that we had many words with changed meaning and some completely different but our own.
The funny sound? Vice versa, man! When Geralt says "Szukam Ciri" (=I am seeking/looking for Ciri) we hear "I am fucking Ciri". So I can't play games in Polish either :D
However that word shifted in meaning by itself, this wasn't caused by borrowing and deliberate change. Šukat meant "to move quickly, hectically" in 19th century but as it happens with any "sudden/fast movement/vibration" meaning word it slowly became synonymic with "to fuck". Mrdat (historically "to move suddenly or to vibrate") is the same case.

*I think I've read somewhere you had a Polish historical consultant
That's correct, Joanna Nowak. She's awesome. And her Czech is pretty good too!
BTW, out of curiosity, can we except any Polish inqusition filthy intruders and generally people of other colors and races ethnicities than Czech and German? Or maybe at least some subtle references to Sapkowski's works?:P:outrage: Is the game fully set in 1403, or only begins in that year and then continues onto the Hussite Wars?
There will be other nationals beside Czechs and Germans that's all I can say. Sapkowski? Maybe as some easter egg from one of the designers (most designers read his books)

Got bored and left

Ah, "szukać". The false friend to end all false friends :)

I am also curious about the Hussite wars. I understand that this is entering spoiler territory, but will the build-up to that conflict (not to mention the wars themselves, they're proabbly a bit too far off in time) be present in the game, or is it a totally seperate story? How about some hot Jan Žižka action? :)

Smejki

Developer
I can't say anything, really.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom