Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

King of Dragon Pass (Android Release)

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I imagine the phone appearance would depend on the resolution of the screen. On my Galaxy S3 I have none of the overlap shown above. I see the same thing that I do on the tablet from my experience.

oscar

Arcane
This seems a fairly solid port. Spotted a few new events and artifacts and the occasional streamlining is for the best.

Multi-headed Cow

Well that's heartbreaking. Had been playing around with the Android version recently and wasn't aware it didn't have all the new bells and whistles. I'd hope he'd patch them in, but since he's apparently so incompetent he was mystified that GoG was able to get the game running without a CD I don't have high hopes.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Pig and sheep herds are just abstract numbers now, and you must use cows for everything: temple maintenance are paid in goods and cows, and you can only slaughter cows and horses for food. Also, crafters are completely automatized. The player can't control their numbers nor what or the quantities of goods they make; they work the same as trade routes: they are proportional to the level of the Issaries temple.
Hmm, on one hand - dumbing down.

On the other hand, I never gave a shit about those in the PC version...

Decisions decisions.

And while I would prefer it on Android, I guess the consensus is that Android version is shit.

oscar

Arcane
Nicest interface change is the easy access to clan relations. No more accidentally raiding someone whose paying you tribute or fucking with a tribe member.

Being able to see your noble's stats during combat events is also a nice touch.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Pig and sheep herds are just abstract numbers now, and you must use cows for everything: temple maintenance are paid in goods and cows, and you can only slaughter cows and horses for food. Also, crafters are completely automatized. The player can't control their numbers nor what or the quantities of goods they make; they work the same as trade routes: they are proportional to the level of the Issaries temple.
Hmm, on one hand - dumbing down.

On the other hand, I never gave a shit about those in the PC version...

Decisions decisions.

And while I would prefer it on Android, I guess the consensus is that Android version is shit.

What? The consensus is that the Android version is excellent.

makute

Literate
thats not in my case at least.
Nor mine. But those screens looks like the iOS ones, perhaps the interface resizing is different in each platform?

Nicest interface change is the easy access to clan relations. No more accidentally raiding someone whose paying you tribute or fucking with a tribe member.

Being able to see your noble's stats during combat events is also a nice touch.
Those aditions are very useful, but there is no excuse in dumbing down other aspects of the game.

It's far from excellent. The Android version is a few versions down the road compared to the iOS version, and is bugged as hell too: dupped treasures and events, dissapearing ring pictures, self-activating blessings... The only reason I'm playing the mobile version of KoDP over the PC one is portability, and the fact that the GoG version randomly crashes to desktop.

TigerKnee

Arcane
It's far from excellent. The Android version is a few versions down the road compared to the iOS version, and is bugged as hell too: dupped treasures and events, dissapearing ring pictures, self-activating blessings....
See what I mean?

Fuck, wish I gone for an iOS phone instead of an Android one.

Gord

Arcane
The main issue is that the Android version is done by an external studio, not the guy himself. He's not doing anything but iOS nowadays and without Herocraft taking up the Android development, there wouldn't be an Android version at all. It's a pity, really, but not to be helped currently.
At least they still seem somewhat dedicated to continuing the development of the Android version, so there's hope that it will reach the same feature level as the iOS one and more polish.

makute

Literate
If you read through the posts at Mr. Dunham blog, the disconnection between both platforms development becomes obvious. Not that this is intrinsically a bad thing, but if/when Herocraft reach a certain point, it can be tempting for them to take the shortest route and cut more features.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Let's put it this way. I have played PC and Android versions extensively. The android version is better and the game is significantly more enjoyable using the touch interface.

If you have both an ipad and an android tablet then OK get the ipad version. Otherwise, the Android version is better than PC.

tindrli

Arcane
Let's put it this way. I have played PC and Android versions extensively. The android version is better and the game is significantly more enjoyable using the touch interface.

If you have both an ipad and an android tablet then OK get the ipad version. Otherwise, the Android version is better than PC.

can you be more specific about what is better beside your opinion that touch interface is more comfortable to use that mouse

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
You can check previous pages/posts. I and others talk about new changes, content and interface improvements.

Absalom

Well that's heartbreaking. Had been playing around with the Android version recently and wasn't aware it didn't have all the new bells and whistles. I'd hope he'd patch them in, but since he's apparently so incompetent he was mystified that GoG was able to get the game running without a CD I don't have high hopes.
Fucking mac users. (Will probably get the android version anyway)

Tigranes

Arcane
I played it while flying this week, it doesn't lose a whole lot compared to the PC version and is the number one game to recommend on tablets. I never thought the farming side of it was that fun or that transparent anyway, it's all about heroquests and events and such.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I played it while flying this week, it doesn't lose a whole lot compared to the PC version

Does it lose anything? I just got done with a PC playthrough last year, and picked up the tablet version this year. I'd say it's at least comparable, but I actually find the tablet version better since the UI is improved, IMO. Unless you're talking Android version of course, I'm still not sure about that version.

Tigranes

Arcane
I played it while flying this week, it doesn't lose a whole lot compared to the PC version

Does it lose anything? I just got done with a PC playthrough last year, and picked up the tablet version this year. I'd say it's at least comparable, but I actually find the tablet version better since the UI is improved, IMO. Unless you're talking Android version of course, I'm still not sure about that version.

Well, I use an android tablet. I think, as Shaewaroz noted, some of the options in managing animals and such get simplified. But I find that's actually a good case of streamlining, since one major possible issue with KoDP is how opaque everything is, before you play a few games and work it out.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture

Well, I use an android tablet. I think, as Shaewaroz noted, some of the options in managing animals and such get simplified. But I find that's actually a good case of streamlining, since one major possible issue with KoDP is how opaque everything is, before you play a few games and work it out.

In the original PC version planting different crops actually had a huge impact on the amount of crop you would harvest during Earth Season - Wheat and Barley yealded large crops, but if there were a bad year for farming (which you can always see as omens during Sacred Time), you should change the crops you plant during Dark Season. So if you get omens that predict poor harvest, you should decrease the amount of Wheat and Barley, which will automatically increase the amount of Rye produced. Rye can survive harsh weather better and therefore your harvest is going to be at least average even if weather is terrible.

In the original PC version sheep and pigs also had major significance, however it wasn't very transparent as Tigranes mentioned. Pigs aren't used for temple sacrifices and therefore they're ideal for slaughtering when extra food was needed. However sheep are used for temple sacrifices and imo they should never be slaughtered, since you couldn't trade for more sheep and if you ever ran out of them, you were basically fucked - you couldn't pay the upkeep for temple sacrifices and therefore all your temples closed down one by one. I dunno how many games I lost because I didn't know this little detail.

Crafters were a bit op in the original game and best strategy was pretty much always to create the maximum amount of trade routes and get as many crafters as possible. I dunno if this was the reason why crafters were removed (or made static) in the new versions but personally I miss the op bastards. :cry:

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^ all that is in the ipad version as far as I can see.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom