Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

King of Dragon Pass (Android Release)

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
They have added (and continue in a minor way) functionality and content to it.

Historically I have always sensed that my actions effect the clan in various ways, but the tablet versions let you know specifically what my decisions have done.

Imagine an incident involving chaos which effects the clan. Thanes and carls both demand actions more favourable to them. As we know my decisions could effect relations with either group, morale of the clan in general, it could effect clan magic, and many others. The game shows this right on screen. If I use magic to perform a divination and then choose a course of action, I will see something like this fly across the screen on incident closure:

Clan magic -3
Warriors +1
Carls -1
Crops +1

This is very helpful. Also, modern tablets have much more real estate than a 640x480 monitor, so they have maximized the use of the screen to include portraits, art, plus additional controls and access to lists etc on the same screen. The tablet version is full of little touches like this - enough for anyone who enjoys this game to buy it if they own a tablet.

They have also added other content bits that I appreciated in my play-through. I have not seen a catalog of these changes but I noticed a few in my short game.

Gord

Arcane
I wonder if it works well on a S4 mini (4.3'', 540x960) or whether it's not a good idea to get it for a phone (I hardly will buy a tablet in the foreseeable future).

I wonder if it works well on a S4 mini (4.3'', 540x960) or whether it's not a good idea to get it for a phone (I hardly will buy a tablet in the foreseeable future).
After iPad version I bought Android port for my SGS Note 2, and I kinda regret this. Even on its 5,5" HD screen interface feels very clunky in comparison to iOS tablet version. It's playable, but I really expected them at least try and think about ergonomics.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I think on a phone it would be just too small. I don't believe zooming is supported.

I think on a phone it would be just too small. I don't believe zooming is supported.
Nah, on Android it zooms (menus, some art, etc), it's just very cumbersome to constantly switch menus even for tasks in similar category (i.e. farming, trade, exploration, etc), zoom certainty doesn't help.

Gord

Arcane
Hm, as much as I'd like to play the enhanced version, that sounds as if it's probably better not to get it for my phone. At least for now, who knows, maybe patches will improve it eventually.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
The porting company has been patching it and most of the issues I had on my gaming tablet are now fixed.

It's fun, but so far I haven't run into any of the scenes I painted. (or the new character I did portraits for) :(

BTW: David is a really nice guy, just not always optimistic about other platforms and stuff. (I kept commenting on his blog, before I started working for him, about how he should put the damned thing on GoG. "Nah, can't be done, too much hassle, it's too messy etc. etc." So, thank GoG for making that happen, he seemed honestly surprised they pulled it off. The Android port is another example of letting someone do the tedious work, hopefully it'll turn out just as good.)

And so far it looks like I might be painting more stuff for him next year, so that's pretty great.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So I caved in and bought it. Man oh man. This game was made for the tablet!

I've been playing non-stop on my travels, and it's as great as it ever was, but now with the addition of an interface and a control that arguably suits it more. Plus, the updates are awesome.

This game is easily worth its price on the ipad at least. Highly recommended.

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Agreed, I now consider these improved tablet versions to be the best available. You will even notice some new content if you are familiar with it already.

makute

Literate
Good day,

I already reported this as a bug at Herocraft, but I'm looking for some hindsight from fellow players. I'm not entirely sure if this is a bug, a symptome of some curse, or plain bad management on my part.

For some reason, at the start of the year 1334 of the attached savegame (you may restore the year 1333), if I allocate 128 hides of land to cropland, the ring says that I still have 76 farmers and 52 oxes available, but allocating just one more hide suddenly brings the "our herds are too small" message, even with Plowsong activated. Also, if you keep playing, the ring members says something along the lines of "there should more farmers on the ring". Others blessings (like Woad) seems to have stopped working altogether.

I'm not sure if an enemy curse can make your own blessings to fail, it never happened to me before, but maybe I'm just missing something. Forum and wiki search were in vain. I'm playing the 1.0.5 Android version purchased from the Amazon Appstore.

Best regards.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vlfwflg9kkk2k22/kodpsave.zip?dl=0

oscar

Arcane
Does the Android version have all the new events and updates?

Gord

Arcane
I'm not sure if an enemy curse can make your own blessings to fail, it never happened to me before, but maybe I'm just missing something. Forum and wiki search were in vain. I'm playing the 1.0.5 Android version purchased from the Amazon Appstore.

Might well be a bug, but it can be hard to tell with KoDP. How large are your herds, anyway? You only talked about cropland.
If you are afflicted by some curse, you can usually find out by sacrificing to your ancestors, iirc.

Also out of interest, what device are you playing on?

makute

Literate
From what i can tell it is not watered down in any way shape or form.
Pig and sheep herds are just abstract numbers now, and you must use cows for everything: temple maintenance are paid in goods and cows, and you can only slaughter cows and horses for food. Also, crafters are completely automatized. The player can't control their numbers nor what or the quantities of goods they make; they work the same as trade routes: they are proportional to the level of the Issaries temple.

Does the Android version have all the new events and updates?
I believe so, yes.
Nope: http://kingofdragonpass.blogspot.co...howComment=1407881306571#c4456624967013973089

Might well be a bug, but it can be hard to tell with KoDP. How large are your herds, anyway? You only talked about cropland.
If you are afflicted by some curse, you can usually find out by sacrificing to your ancestors, iirc.

Also out of interest, what device are you playing on?
I play in both a Huawei G630 smartphone and a BQ Curie tablet.
I already reported that bug (and many others), and the guys at Herocraft said they were working on it, so I hope it get fixed in the next update.

Gord

Arcane
I play in both a Huawei G630 smartphone and a BQ Curie tablet.
I already reported that bug (and many others), and the guys at Herocraft said they were working on it, so I hope it get fixed in the next update.

Can you reccommend it on smartphones? I've been thinking about getting it for my s4 mini (which is even a little bit smaller, I think), but am sceptical about how well it plays on small devices...

Last edited:

makute

Literate
It adjust surprisingly well to small screens, but some menus can get too cluttered. On the other hand, bigger screens will allow you to enjoy the awesome art of this game at its fullest.

tindrli

Arcane
It adjust surprisingly well to small screens, but some menus can get too cluttered. On the other hand, bigger screens will allow you to enjoy the awesome art of this game at its fullest.

thats not in my case at least.. i have LG G3 5.5 " and i dont enjoy awesome art at its fullest , more than half images are covered with story text let me take a picture
basic menus are ok
Wvkt5x.png

battle is.. well i dont call that awesome
owkAMz.jpg

and same happens with all ingame events
6UF4Ce.jpg

and we all know how the game looks on app store

e0W_WY7XJMXjZ5rKaeCUole4GvVxgUwcCD2PirVc5SvbmBGYUAsdB3h64bvGylPzp4Q=h900-rw

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Looks pretty bad compared to the tablet version tbh. Phones are probably shrinking it too much.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Short post, don't feel like explaining too much.

I was stuck 9 hours on a plane with this game on a tablet and played for most of the flight with it, completely hooked. I'd heard good things about the narrative-driven mechanics for many years but now I understand first hand.

Really cool game.

Last edited:

tindrli

Arcane
Looks pretty bad compared to the tablet version tbh. Phones are probably shrinking it too much.

yep.. but i dont get it why they opted for this at least with 5.0" and +

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom