Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed King Arthur II : Katawa Legions

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
01.jpg

Chapter 01: Arise, Septimus

Music: The Quest Begins

When you open your eyes, you can't decide whether you're awake, or in some kind of dream. You stand upon a soaring mountaintop, looking down on a thick layer of clouds beneath your feet. It is almost as if you were in the abode of the gods.

02.jpg

sep.jpg
Could it be that...?

Your thoughts are interrupted by an ethereal yet powerful voice.

"WHO ARE YOU, LOST SOUL AND WHY HAVE YOU CROSSED INTO THE LAND OF SAVAGES?"

sep.jpg
I am Septimus Sulla, Champion of Eboracum! Who are YOU?

Your reply merely echoes in the celestial void at first, but then the apparition of an elderly figure manifests itself before you. He addresses you with a faint smile and an air of absolute authority.

03.jpg

had.jpg
A Roman champion... Well then, I am honoured to meet someone with such a rare vocation. But let's see what else we can learn about you...

As he speaks, you realize that you know him. You have seen his face on marble statues a hundred times before. This is the great Emperor Hadrian himself - who died centuries ago... You begin to struggle with this impossible thought, but your pondering is cut short when you are beset by a series of visions.

04.jpg

Still images form and melt away, one after another. You soon realize that these are the scenes from your own past, but they are all hazy and lack details. Finally the visions stop and you are left staring at one of your past battles.

05.jpg

had.jpg
Ah... So THAT's the kind of champion you are...
sep.jpg
Those fugitives deserved no mercy! The crowd cheered at their deaths, when I killed three of them with each strike!
had.jpg
Yes indeed. Your skills have brought you many victories, and yet here you are.

06.jpg

had.jpg
Tell me, how is it that the barbarians defeated the mighty Septimus Sulla? Have the Romans become so weak, or was it your strategy which was flawed?
sep.jpg
There was no mistake! I was betrayed by the Caracallas! All my soldiers are dead because of them!

It seems the apparition intends to discuss the reasons for your defeat further, but the thought of betrayal fills you with sudden rage.

sep.jpg
Enough! I have answered your questions, now you answer mine! Who are you, and what is this place?
had.jpg
Indeed, you have the right to know.

07.jpg

had.jpg
I was once known as Emperor Hadrian, and you are in my... prison. As you know, I mastered the arcane arts in my life and created many arcane objects for the glory of Rome. My greatest creation was the Wall, and yet it is not the reason I'm here.

08.jpg

had.jpg
Unbeknownst to me, when I first bound magic to an object... an object of personal vanity... I also bound my eternal soul to it. Thus I became part of my golden wreath, unable to let it go, even after death. Centuries passed, and now only a fragment of the wreath remains, but that is enough to keep me here.
sep.jpg
So... Am I dead?
had.jpg
You have been mortally wounded, yes, but your heart still beats. Still, you would have died, had you not stumbled upon my wreath. It is fortunate that you did - for both of us.
sep.jpg
What do you mea-
had.jpg
But your questions will have to wait. I must first show you something. For much has happened since you marched north, and there are many things that you must know.
sep.jpg
Such as?
had.jpg
While you were fighting savages, an enemy struck at your home...an enemy you were not aware of.

The emperor falls silent, and lets you watch another stream of image, which depicts a bloody assault on your home.

09.jpg

sep.jpg
No...

10.jpg

You can only look in horror, as everything you hold dear is ruthlessly destroyed.

11.jpg

had.jpg
Your family, your bride, even your lands... All gone...
sep.jpg
I shall have my vengeance! This...I swear!
had.jpg
You have lost much, but you may yet save some of what you have. In this place, our powers combined can alter the very fabric of reality, and thus we can change what is about to happen. But your life is fading away, and we cannot risk you dying.
sep.jpg
The trading post and the nearby village... it's being razed to the ground.
had.jpg
We can only make one change, so you must choose.
sep.jpg
Then save the trading post. Filthy villagers won't help me exact my vengeance.

12.jpg

The image depicts the enemies siege weaponry mercilessly destroyed by a crack of flame from the skies. The siege on the trading post is a failure. Elsewhere, only ashes remain of the hapless village.

had.jpg
Very good. You have now faced the past and the present, but you have not yet faced the future. And you must see it to know what you must do...
sep.jpg
I..I don't understand.
had.jpg
All your suffering, all the devastation you've seen, is just a prelude to something much worse. I thought it was inevitable, until your arrival provided us with a chance. But it all hinges on you now...

13.jpg

had.jpg
This is what will happen if you die. This is what will be if you don't walk the path that destiny has chosen for you!

14.jpg

had.jpg
Our people have grown decadent and weak. Divided and leaderless, they cannot withstand what is to come!

15.jpg

had.jpg
The members of your murdered family will have been the lucky ones! There is a reason you found me, Septimus, and together we shall face a monumental task!
sep.jpg
I...
had.jpg
With the power of my wreath, you shall return from the dead, and chisel the world around you, until it has a future again!
sep.jpg
Yes, my Emperor.
had.jpg
You must rebuild the legions and unite the squabbling families. Restore glory to Rome so it can stand firm against the tide of the coming darkness. While the rest of the world burns, a New Rome shall stand!
sep.jpg
Point my sword at our enemies, and I shall deliver unto them a wrath like no other.
had.jpg
But first, you must reclaim what you have lost.

16.jpg

had.jpg
You shall return home, bury your dead, rebuild, and gather your strength.

17.jpg

sep.jpg
By the Gods...
had.jpg
Your people and soldiers await you. There is much to be done, before the name Septimus Sulla is known by all.

18.jpg

sep.jpg
My allies shall honour me, while my enemies shall rue the day they crossed Septimus Sulla. This, I swear.

RK47

Patron
I really love Neocore's attention to details here. It's like...every little animated slide may seem not much, but the whole slide by slide is transitioned in a side scrolling tapestry. Impressive stuff for non-major name developer. Also the choices represented in the first intro actually allows some choices like:
1. What is your class? Warlord/Sage/Champion.
2. What is your starting skill bonus? Cleave / HP Passive?
and a few others which I am unsure what it affects. I'm sure the village / outpost affects landmarks on the map. I won't rush into this. Take it slow and try not to get burned out. BTW, playing on medium setting seems the most palatable for the loading time on my rig. Also, Neocore Kate told me to run the app as admin to improve performance. Not sure if it mattered or the details down the medium, but it seemed to do the trick.

:salute: Sulla Victus!

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Good art direction, though a little bit over the top (teh armours). Still, this might prove entertaining.

RK47

Patron
Yes! Finally!

Oh, btw, is this KA2 itself or is it that "Dead Legions" stand-alone prelude?

It's the full game. This campaign isn't mandatory completion to proceed to Arthur's campaign, but hell. I'll see if I have the appetite for more after this one. Taking it slow.

RK47

Patron
Chapter 02: Homecoming

sep.jpg
This trail takes me back to the Sulla estates, but how can I raise an army out of nothing? I fear this task may be more difficult than I thought...

The sound of soldiers marching alerts you, much to your relief, they bore the banner of the Sulla.

leg.jpg
Halt! Who goes there?
sep.jpg
Septimus Sulla, Heir of the Sulla family! Are you with me, or against me?
01.jpg

leg.jpg
By Jupiter! Milord, we thought you were lost for sure! Command us and we shall retake Sulla immediately.
sep.jpg
Who dares to attack our province, was it the Caracallas?
leg.jpg
The slaves rebelled, they outnumbered us. We took what we could and used the gold to raise an army. With your command, we will retake our home province!
sep.jpg
Onward, my Legion. We will cleanse our home of this filth.

02.jpg

03.jpg

sep.jpg
Miserable bastards, all of them. Death to the last of them.
04.jpg

sep.jpg
Do you hear me?! LEAVE NONE ALIVE!

The Legion shouted in agreement and ready themselves for vengeance.

05.jpg

Three points of interest are on the map. The first, the Statue of Jupiter, located atop a forested hill is the closest to us.
06.jpg

By invoking his blessing, we will be able to call down a mighty lightning to smite our foes.

The second is a Roman Temple,
07.jpg

Whoever controls the temple can invoke healing. It is located deeper in the forest, the enemies will fight for its control. Battle seems likely.

08.jpg

The final control point grants war-like blessing - the enemies control it from the start. Our army shall divide itself. Heavy infantry will march in the open. With Septimus leading the charge, followed by his heavy legion and archers. Cavalry will charge forth and secure both the Temple and Statue. The light infantry will scramble through the forest to support the cavalry in capturing both points. Spearmen will guard our archers in case the savages manage to bypass our steel wall.

sep.jpg
Victory awaits the brave! Onward!

09.jpg

As expected, the rebels decide to contest the temple, reaching it before our cavalry. But as long our horsemen is there, they can prevent it from being captured.

10.jpg

11.jpg

Once they are eliminated, the capturing can begin.

12.jpg

Elsewhere, the statue is under our control. Unfortunately, the enemy's magic resistance proved too high for the lightning to overcome and the spell fizzled on its first try.

13.jpg

More rebel warriors emerge in the forest, our light infantry scramble to respond in kind.

Elsewhere-

14.jpg

sep.jpg
DO NOT FALTER. RAISE YOUR SHIELDS AND ADVANCE!

Rains of steel accompanied Septimus' advance yet he knows he cannot stop as the hordes of rebels begin to advance towards his archers.

15.jpg

sep.jpg
LEGIONS! SHIELD WALL FORMATION NOW!

16.jpg

sep.jpg
Death to the enemies of rome! MY RETAINERS- WEDGE FORMATION! CUT THEM DOWN!

Septimus' blade cuts a path through the rebel horde and his followers met the rebel leader head on.

17.jpg

His legions performed excellently, cutting off the rebels advance in the open, while archers rain death from the back.
18.jpg

19.jpg

sep.jpg
Your leader is dead, and so are you!
20.jpg

sep.jpg
NEXT! ONWARD! IN JUPITER'S NAME!

Almost like on cue, a lightning bolt streaks through the sky, with the enemy hero down, their magical protection failed them. A massive explosion rocked their archer ranks, sending men flying.

21.jpg

22.jpg

sep.jpg
MORE! I DEMAND SATISFACTION!

The battle for the temple is concluded, our army can now employ the healing spell.
23.jpg

The wounded archers gain some respite.
24.jpg

Septimus finishes off the remnants of the terrified rebels.
25.jpg

Till none stand.
26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

leg.jpg
Milord, we've recovered gold and artifacts.
sep.jpg
Excellent...we have so much more to be done.

Septimus immediately wields the shield and bracelet. He can feel his wounds closing as he grip the sturdy shield. While the bracelet seems to lower the magical resistance of enemies close to him. He thanked the gods for their blessing and remembered Hadrian's task.

leg.jpg
Where to Milord?
sep.jpg
To the Senate! We must restore our family's name, and bring the Caracallas' treachery to light!
29.jpg

RK47

Patron
Chapter 03: The Viper's Nest

Music: Battle Preparations, the Third

01.jpg

For the first time in your life you see the main square of the Eboracum as the perfect symbol of what the provinces have become: crumbling palaces, cracked flagstones, all hidden in the shadows of the past, cringing before the gigantic statues build by Emperor Hadrian.

On the broad steps of the Senate building you come across an usually large gathering, where small groups gather to scheme and gossip. The news of your return must have reached here sooner than you'd though. You feel their questioning stares while you are climbing the steps.

sep.jpg
Into the Viper's Nest...

Muffled voices herald your arrival in the gloomy, vaulted hall. You notice that some of the Senators quickly withdraw into the shadows. You walk briskly past the row of marble columns and enter the Chamber of the Senate.

02.jpg

The Chamber of the Senate resembles a large cauldron, where the rows of seats gradually descend towards the speaker's stand. When you arrive, the only person there is the Censor, the administrator responsible for keeping the catalogue of the meetings, but the crowd follows you.

sep.jpg
My name is Septimus Sulla. I wish to speak to the Senate. I bring news of the gravest importance.

03.jpg

The Censor shakes his head sadly. "My sincere apologies, but you are not a member of the Senate. You have no right to speak here." You feel the nauseating surge of anger rising again. This man can't fathom the things you went through, but you might give him a taste.

sep.jpg
Apologize THIS! :bro:

04.jpg

The man hits the ground with a loud crash. A stunned silence falls over the hall, so everyone can hear you when you repeat your name.

sep.jpg
Now, I say again: My name is Septimus Sulla. I demand an audience with the Senate. Immediately.

The Censor grabs the pen, but his hand is shaking. A drop of blood stains the ink and your name. It feels like an omen. You waste no time and walk straight to the speaker's stand.

05.jpg

sep.jpg
Noble Senators! I'm aware that my behaviour may strike you as offensive. Some of you think my words defy tradition. But take into consideration the sad events that befell my family. This matter is of the gravest urgency. If I'm not a Senator, I cannot address you properly.
sep.jpg
If you want to formally discuss my request, I shall wait here. However, considering the urgency of the matter I intend to present before you, I'm willing to share my thoughts with you before the formal session.

You pause and the hall is filled with an excited buzz. Cornelius, the head of the merchant family Severus, nods to the augur in his traditional robe with the blood-red stripes. The augur invokes the blessings of the gods on the assembly and opens the session.

sep.jpg
(I must remember Severus' family gesture and repay them in kind. My allies shall be rewarded.)

06.jpg

Cornelius Severus is a noble-looking man with silver hair and a powerful presence. After greeting the Senate, he immediately turns to you, "I see that Septimus Sula is making an unexpected appearance among us. May I ask for his formal acceptance into our ranks?"

sep.jpg
You have made the right decision today, Cornelius. :smug:

The Senators argue among themselves for a while, carefully weighing every word. It takes a while until the noise in the hall subsides, then an elderly member of the Ordo Equester raises to speak. The ageing Senator puts your request to the vote and the Senators reach an unanimous agreement. Afterwards, Cornelius Severus walks to the speaker's platform, but only ask you to speak.

sep.jpg
(Unusual, according to traditions, right after the Severus Speaker finishes, the Messala Speaker is next...but I shall seize the moment.)

Accepting the invitation, you walk to the speaker's platform.

sep.jpg
Senators! You ordered me to the Wall to help the Caracalla family against the invading Picts. And then I was left alone, betrayed by those who sought my help.

"Lies!" shouts one of the Caracallas. "We had to move back to our estates to defend ourselves!"

You glare at Senator Caracalla.

sep.jpg
Your estates were far away from any danger! And the place where you set up your camp is a day's walk from the Wall."

The Senator suddenly looks more relaxed, and he even tries a weak smile.

cara.jpg
Prove it, Sulla. Otherwise these are just empty words. Due to some unforeseen circumstances we were delayed. That much is true. But look who is talking about betrayal! The leader who survived the battle without any wounds?

sep.jpg
(That snake! He is accusing me of cowardice? I could let them think I am a coward..it might lower their guard in the future....but...no. I cannot let him insult the Sulla family name further.)

With a flick on the clasps, your chest piece falls to the ground, exposing your battle wounds. Excited murmuring sweeps through the hall. These wounds would have sent an average man to the death's door, but here you are, with only the pink scars of your healed wounds as as reminder. There aren't any healers in Eboracum who could perform such a miracle, that is for sure.

07.jpg

sep.jpg
I have no idea which god was gracious enough to spare my life, but I'll say my prayers for all of them.
cara.jpg
Or perhaps it was a demon!
sep.jpg
Gods create. Demons are the harbingers of destruction! Just ask any priest... or those who meddle in the art of black magic!

The uproar shakes the hall, Senator Caracalla glares at you. As a scholar, he's been researching the cult of death that helped to build the wall.

sep.jpg
But my well-being is hardly a matter worthy of your precious attention. I have more important things to say now. Most of my warriors died in that battle. I was left for dead, bleeding from my wounds and it is a miracle that I survived. And for what? To come home and see my family destroyed? My estates burned to the ground? I stood up for you and you betrayed me!

The Senators exchange ashamed glances. Instead of the usual commotion, this time eerie silence fills the marble hall.

sep.jpg
(I should poison the Caralla's name further - compensations can wait.) Senators, I'm talking about the series of seemingly accidental events that somehow still led to the destruction of my family. Don't they sound suspicious? Should I also mention the absence of the Caracalla family from the battle? Or the unknown soldiers who looted my lands?

The Senators can't contain their anger any more. The noise quickly becomes deafening. "These are only assumptions! We demand proof!" However, you sense uncertainty in the air that is far from the angry disbelief that they display.

sep.jpg
(I have no proof. I must not press the matter further lest they distrust me in the future. I've sown enough seeds for now...) I admit I cannot prove anything. But I never dared to hope my words alone could convince this noble congregation, so this wasn't the reason that brought me here. No, Senators, we have some more pressing matters to attend to.
sep.jpg
You all know the consultum the Senate passed a hundred years ago. That decree set the terms that still apply to the families lending the military or financial help for the protection of the wall, namely that all losses sustained must be covered by the other families.
sep.jpg
The Sulla family defended the wall, and thus the whole realm against the tide of the Picts! And what was the price we paid? We lost everything! Our soldiers, slaves and estates are gone, not to mention the personal losses. I demand compensation!

08.jpg

Cornelius rises from his bench. "We need time to study the decree that Septimus Sulla quoted with such fervour. It would be unwise to make the provinces of Eboracum pay for someone's mistakes in leadership or the inexperience of his family in the treatment of their slaves."

sep.jpg
(Cornelius Severus,...still governed by greed, after all?) I'm ready to prove my worth as a military leader! Am I wrong to suppose that the Senate is unable to decide even such a trifling matter? A weak Senate is the sign of a weak Eboracum!

The uproar is so loud that it's almost ear-piercing. This is clearly a debate that will go into the annals of the Senate. Finally the augur has to intervene personally, but it takes some time until everyone calms down. Now the Senate will vote on the matter of your compensation.

Finally, the Senate offers you 2000 gold and grants you an auxiliary force until you've gathered a new army.

09.jpg

The debate is over. The Caracallas leave the hall immediately. Horatius Quintus family assures you of his support. You meet Cornelius Severus at the door. He smiles at you and calls you "Senator". Still, you'd give anything to know what's going on in his head.

Rewards:
+ 2000 Gold
+ 1 Unit of Sulla Auxilia
+ 1 Tyrant

House Relations:
+10 Quintus
- 2 Severus
- 12 Caracalla
- 4 Messala

corvus

Arcane
The art style looks pretty cool. Looking forward to moar, since I enjoyed the first one quite a bit.

RK47

Patron
Some family backgrounds:

The Messala
05.jpg

The Caracallas
06.jpg

The Severus
07.jpg

The Quintus
08.jpg

kazgar

Arcane
Is there choices to be made here? If so go with the money and bitches Gold loving Severus and Decadent Messala

Also, did the opening cutscene explain how our hero ended up with the wreath, video didn't explain it.

RK47

Patron
Glowing stuff stuck on his foot as he falls. Deus Ex Machina baby. :lol:
Anyways, I will cover the choices later when I get home, I'm at work, so I'm just posting some lores and what not. There's a lot of choice for the quests this time around. And I really am impressed with Neocore's effort.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Very cool, I like your style, as always.:bro:

How important are the relation with the houses, do they change only what questline you follow or are there more long-term consequences?

RK47

Patron
I am playing this game mostly first-time. I wouldn't know everything. :) So it's part of the charm.

Most of the diplomacy options are lifted from the original King Arthur DLC : The Saxons
Relations will rise and lower depending on your actions. At times, quest choices will improve them, but sometimes gold will hasten friendships as well. Once relations certain a certain point, special diplomatic actions can take place.
13.jpg

Quintus Family
Military force is their forte, we take advantage of our GOOD relations (I take it they love our EXTREME display at the Senate) with their family to bolster our forces.
14.jpg

Aside from that, their region is famous for their awesome breed of horses.
15.jpg

After some deliberation, I decided for the increased movement points for the army. Next year, we can secure other deals. So it's not a one-off choice.

Severus Family
A family of rich merchants, Severus can lower recruitment costs and give better equipments to your units. It only costs their favorite currency: gold.
16.jpg

After much deliberation, I decided to support the Severus' proposed tax cuts to the Senate. This bolsters our family relations and grants a 40% discount when we resupply our troops.

Messala Family
Decadent aristocrats, they employ the best bowmakers in Eboracum. We should really take advantage of this deal to bolster our bows firepower.
17.jpg

The Messala also offers one of their...princess' hand in marriage.
18.jpg

I politely refused. It's too early to remarry, and I rather not be tied down by these decadent folk too much.

Our forces compose of a mix of heavy, light, archers and cavalry.
01.jpg

The Auxilia is best used to capture points and run through bad terrain. Lightly armored, they will not last long in open battles. Don't count on them surviving cavalry charges either.

02.jpg

Heavy legions are perfect for open field engagements but lack speed. They will get pummeled by archers and spells often. It's a good thing their shields provide extra defense against archers.

03.jpg

Sulla Archers are our only ranged option at the start. They will deliver death from above as our forces protect them from harm.

04.jpg

Sulla cavalry, unlike the southern Britain counterpart, is lightly armored. But they pack enough punch and can respond quickly to situations. I will recruit more since I prefer to base my army on speed.

Tonight, we'll do battle once more.

RK47

Patron
Chapter 5: Choices & Caracallas

Septimus rallies his men around the Sulla province for a season, recuperating their strength as well as adding more cavalry into his command.
01.jpg

The next season, a Senate messenger arrived bearing military orders. Normally, a battle against the Picts would be cause for a cheer. Not this time...

02.jpg

sep.jpg
They want us to assist the Caracallas? Is this some sick joke?
leg.jpg
Milord, it would not be best to defy the Senate so openly...but perhaps if we arrive and settle matters with our own discretion...
sep.jpg
Very well. Rally the men! We march!

The Sulla army marches from their home province towards the Hadrian Walls, where the Caracallas territory spread alongside it.
03.jpg

En route, a messenger from the Severus family comes forth.
04.jpg

sep.jpg
Tell Senator Cornelius I appreciate his gesture. We will know how to act.
leg.jpg
This appears very suspicious, milord.
sep.jpg
How so?
leg.jpg
What would they gain out of warning us? Beware, the Severus family is known for their profit-driven conduct...it is no surprise they have few friends in the Senate.
sep.jpg
Indeed. I am no lamb. Come. The Picts await.

Another season passes. Autumn is upon them, they must hurry before the snow falls and halt their march.
05.jpg

Eventually, they arrive before season's end.
06.jpg

sep.jpg
What is the situation?
leg.jpg
Scores of villagers running in terror, smell of burning bodies - no sign of the Caracallas.
sep.jpg
What are our options?
leg.jpg
We could act immediately, bring our arms to bear.
07.jpg

leg.jpg
Attacking immediately might minimize the damage to the province...yet waiting for them on open ground will provide our troops with superior position.
sep.jpg
And the next option?
leg.jpg
We could...uh...'negotiate.'
08.jpg

leg.jpg
A simple tribute may persuade them to leave...or if you prefer, we should incite them against the Caracallas army instead, as the Severus family has advised us.
sep.jpg
I like that idea.
leg.jpg
I'm not finished yet... we can invite their leader for parlay...and slay him.
sep.jpg
Indeed. A dishonorable deed, befitting of a dishonorable foe.
leg.jpg
Or if you wish...we can negotiate with the Caracallas.
sep.jpg
How so?
09.jpg

leg.jpg
We may be able to repair our strained relations-
sep.jpg
SILENCE!
leg.jpg
Forgive me milord!
sep.jpg
I am only willing to negotiate ONLY and ONLY if they pay me a tribute.

What should Septimus do?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom