Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kickstarter you regret NOT giving money

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
We have a topic about which kickstarter you regret giving money to, but there must be some kickstarters which turned out great/good and you regret not giving them money during the fundraiser.

For me, it is Thumbleweed Park, which is shaping to be great, but unfortunately I was/am broke, so I couldn't pledge.

I somewhat regret not backing Elite: Dangerous, because although it can be a chore to play sometimes, it is great to fire it up from time to time.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
None because the ones I didn't kickstart but ended up trying and enjoying got money from me anyways so what is there to regret?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
None because I am poor and can't afford to pay for dreams.

There's a bunch I wish I had money to, mostly tabletop stuff that I'd never get to play but would be cool to own anyway.

Parsifarka

Arcane
None; I'll buy Bard's Tale IV and Inner Chains if they turn out decent for a cheaper price. And God how thankful I'm for not giving money to McGee's weaboo Alice movie -what a way to disgrace his own vision.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
None because the ones I didn't kickstart but ended up trying and enjoying got money from me anyways so what is there to regret?
Yeah, that's a point, but getting it cheaper plus some extras worth it I think. Also it is good to follow all the updates and see how's the game shaping up.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
it is good to follow all the updates and see how's the game shaping up.

Srsly though, it isn't. JUST GIB ME THE GODDAMN GAME ALREADY. After agonising about Kickstarter and other "pay for dreams" schemes, I've come to realise I don't like being involved in the development process, especially if it means I get a worse quality game. And especially if they don't tell you anything meaningful. "Lol we fixed stuff and it's going to be epic XD r00fles" is not helpful. I'm looking at you, Fargo.

It's like ordering a pizza, getting emails every 30 seconds telling you "we're still working on it and it's shaping up to be a good pizza", getting pictures of it 5 minutes in and then after 3 hours getting a pizza with half the toppings really perfect, half missing altogether and the whole thing undercooked.

Wasteland 2 was a good nostalgia experience and finally a modern RPG longer than 3 hours, but seriously flawed mechanics and showstopper bugs despite being delayed over a year ruined it.

Star Citizen: The less said the better.

Automation (The Car Company Tycoon Game) is now probably the world's most detailed and realistic Automobile Engine Building Simulator with no trace of the actual core game, the economic sim, in sight. But hey it's only been 6 years I'm sure they'll get around to making an actual game SOME time right?

Starbound - A picture is worth a thousand words. So here's 1004 words.

54246155.jpg

Hong Kong Shadowrun was a pale shadow of the previous excellent game Dragonfall.

Tides of Numa numa guy: Same as Starbound. Might release before Grimoire and/or heat death of the universe, but not likely.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh man. The Blades in the Dark Kickstarter. Someone making a Thief/Dishonored-inspired RPG, and I wrote it off without taking a better book because "it can't possibly work", and "I shouldn't back a game I'll never play". By the time I started paying attention, the campaign was over, and it slowly got out that BitD, while not exactly a traditional RPG, was awesome. One of my friends had pledged and ran a game using the test rules, and ever since, I have been jealous. Serves me right for missing the opportunity. :negative:

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Oh man. The Blades in the Dark Kickstarter. Someone making a Thief/Dishonored-inspired RPG, and I wrote it off without taking a better book because "it can't possibly work", and "I shouldn't back a game I'll never play". By the time I started paying attention, the campaign was over, and it slowly got out that BitD, while not exactly a traditional RPG, was awesome. One of my friends had pledged and ran a game using the test rules, and ever since, I have been jealous. Serves me right for missing the opportunity. :negative:
Looks interesting.

Churrasco

Augur
Patron
Wasteland 2
Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect

Was happy this was made and with the finished product

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect

Was happy this was made and with the finished product
Yeah that turned out p. good. I bought it from GOG. Don't see how KS would have changed it though, except there being less than 11 billion pictures of backers throughout the game.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
If I could go back, I would back Wasteland 2. The final game was pretty flawed but I like what it was trying to do.

pippin

I kind of regret not backing any instance of Shadowrun returns, but I don't have an international credit card and even if I had one I wouldn't use it for banal purchases on the interwebs. Don't trust the system at all. I'll end up buying any game I like, in fact most of the recent games I've played and loved were made after a Kickstarter campaign.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I wish I had backed the kickstarter to publish the Primeval Thule setting for D&D 5E, since it seems that was the only way to ever get a hard copy. The only alternative to get the book now is a pdf
:negative:

sser

Arcane
Developer
A couple of board games and that's about it -- but the donation limit for them is usually very high to actually receive the stuff. The regret mostly comes from the fact I very rarely will find or buy these games in an actual store, whereas all the PC stuff I pick up on Steam sales anyway.

I still consider most Kickstarters to be scams or close to it, if not by the verbiage alone -- the notion that any of these donations are "kickstarting" anything is an obfuscation of the development cycle in and of itself.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Divinity: Original Sin

I expected it to be shit, like all previous games of this developer, but it turned out to be amazing and became one of my favourite RPGs ever

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Maybe Numanuma, though the only Kickstarter I backed so far was Bard's Tale 4 - because it's a blobber. And $10.000 to Guido Henkel's Deathfire, which of course didn't make it. :lol:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!

I messaged John some time ago and he said he would consider putting the Special Edition up for pre-order.

For me, the Kickstarters I most regret not backing are mostly tabletop games, like Xia, Dungeon World and 13 True Ways. PC-wise it's Expeditions Conquistador and Legends of Eisenwald.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Regret not giving to:
Serpent in the Staglands. Even though I haven't really sunk my teeth into it, I appreciate what they built and the physical rewards seemed pretty darn nice.

Shadowrun. I bought it and played through it in one weekend. Enjoyed it immensely, in spite of the flaws.

Severian Silk

:(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom