Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kickstarter Watch.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
tPjlaP.png

Wow. Just... wow.

Ninjerk

Arcane
It's like telling a burglar leaving your house, "I won't buy any more jewelry for you to steal! So there!" :argh:

Mustawd

This is what happens without proper accounting.

How the fuck do they not know where the funds went?!

pippin

Tim Cain and MCA both collaborated in Nuka Break, and in return, the Nuka Break melee weapon found its way into New Vegas :M

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I went back to OP to see if I'd missed out on any cool Kickstarters with collectors' editions that I should lurk on eBay for. I wasn't expecting much, so I was very pleasantly surprised to see that the Kickstarters lists had been diligently kept and updated by KzBr0. Thanks man. :bro:

SmartCheetah

Arcane

30,200$ for modding in your own art. This is kinda pricey but oh well. I hope they achieve that. That tool might be pretty great for creating interiors or exterior encounter maps for your PnP sessions. :-x I don't care about the "play" mode.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ok, so I typed in some data Kickstarter provides at their website, this is the total number of pledges per country for the following 15 projects that I think most of us found interesting at some stage of their development.

The games used for computing the totals are:

Serpent in the Staglands
Copper Dreams
Wasteland2
T:TON
BTIV
Pillars of Eternity
SRR
SR:HK
Battletech
D:OS
D:OS2
Legends of Eisenwald
Dead State
Expeditions: Conquistador
Darkest Dungeon

And here are the totals:

KV4Mm8Y.png
YEmrHm8.png

A few observations:
- Note that this is only the pledge count, I cannot compute actual value, since it's not given by country
- Top-10 pledges cover 5/6 of all pledges in terms of count
- For most of the games pledges from the USA make about half or even more of. Expeditions: Conquistador and D:OS 1 have the smallest USA-share, about 36% each.
- Nordic countries are pretty much over-represent given their size (except Norway puzzles me, they are clearly the richest and still the fewest pledges)
- There is noticeable home country bias: D:OS and D:OS2 are the only games which have Belgium in the top-10, Expeditions: Conquistador has almost 10% share of pledges coming from Denmark.
- The only game for which Singapore and Spain enter top-10 is Battletech, whereas SRR:HK gathers enough pledges from Netherlands to place it in top-10, the same holds for Brazil and SRR, respectively
- For the countries that have entries in all big-3 games (WL2, T:TON & PoE) the share is between 47%-59% of all pledges placed by that country, except for Russia: 93% of pledges from Russia were placed on these three games (between 1100-1200 on each).

If you like, I can do a graphs by game for selected games, and will take suggestions for other games to be included.

EDIT: oh and a google spreadsheet, if someone is interested.
EDIT2: of course, for any country that does not have top-10 entry in each 15 games, these figures are downward biased (but only slightly).

Last edited:

Severian Silk

So what you're saying is that they use up all our bandwidth *and* don't contribute to the Codex fund drives?

WTF, Poland?

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So what you're saying is that they use up all our bandwidth *and* don't contribute to the Codex fund drives?

WTF, Poland?
I think you're just having a laugh, but to be honest, I don't know how Codex fundraisers would show up in there if at all. Perhaps as a single pledge for USA?

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
That's actually the most interesting find.. Kickstarter doesn't seem that popular in Potatoland, that is true - national mistrust for people who sell you dreams. But still potato rpg fanbase is quite large and I refuse to believe they all chime into the codex fundraiser.

Besides, anecdotal evidence, I gave my shekels to 8 out of those. That must be a bigger blip on radar tha The Brazilian Slaughter and his 0,07% !

DarkUnderlord - are there similar stats for Codex fundraisers?

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
But still potato rpg fanbase is quite large and I refuse to believe they all chime into the codex fundraiser.

Well, I find it puzzling that western European countries do not feature in more heavily. For example Netherlands, affluent country with good skills in English.

For the slavic countries I wonder if it's the localisation that matters, and on the other hand - do banks readily offer other than national credit cards?

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
But still potato rpg fanbase is quite large and I refuse to believe they all chime into the codex fundraiser.

Well, I find it puzzling that western European countries do not feature in more heavily. For example Netherlands, affluent country with good skills in English.

For the slavic countries I wonder if it's the localisation that matters, and on the other hand - do banks readily offer other than national credit cards?

Where are all zee germans? They like RPGs..

Localisation doesn't matter that much in ce/ee, at least not in my experience - most RPG enthusiasts here speak good enough EN and know how cringeworthy localisations can be.

It is harder (at least was in the beginning) to back Kickstarter from here. The way they just charge your card remotely doesn't mesh that well with our DCs (rarely people use Credit Cards here). So an extra hoop was here to create a virtual CC in some bank.

But in the end - all the whales are in states. Even if we back games it is usually lower tiers because of (1) relative buying power (2) shipping costs

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom