Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kickstarter Watch.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
lol what: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bloomylight-studio/lynn-and-the-spirits-of-inao/posts/1578143

Hello,

First of all, thank you to all of the backers who supported Lynn and the Spirits of Inao.

After being deeply affected by the various stories from the past few days, and conscious of the mistakes from the past which are now harming the game, we have taken the difficult decision to end the adventure here. In the face of the violent declarations made to us and the threats uttered against members of the team, we now have to end this project that was born in 2011. It is regrettable that a handful of individuals were able to destroy the work of so many people and that they spent so much energy to cause a relentlessness of incredible violence against our team.

We would like to thank all the people who contributed to the game and got involved in the project. These last five years spent working hard on Lynn and the Spirits of Inao were an unforgettable experience motivated by the passion to create a game of quality and to offer a new experience.

Thank you for your understanding.

Bloomylight Studio.

Apparently it has something to do with unpaid internships: http://nichegamer.com/2016/05/18/lynn-and-the-spirits-of-inao-cancelled/

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Lol, company scams its own employees, and people in comments actually whining that the game was cancelled. Bitch please.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Cross-posting this here from the adventure subforum.

ZED is a new Myst-like Kickstarter by a video game artist who apparently worked on Myst, and I really really want it to succeed: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1368459285/zed

The realms of ZED flicker between the edge of reality and that of fiction. You'll explore eccentric coastlines, mechanized landscapes, and secretive forests.

These worlds were built by the creative mind of acclaimed artist Chuck Carter If you've ever read National Geographic, seen a NASA press release, or watched Babylon5, there's a high chance you've experienced his work. However, world-building in video games is where he spent most of his life. From the groundbreaking environments of Myst, through the cinematic battlefields of Command and Conquer: Red Alert, to the futuristic terrain of Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, Chuck has helped produce over 25 games throughout his career.

With deep roots in the Myst adventure-puzzle genre of gameplay, exploration and careful observation are key to unlocking the mysteries of ZED.

Find hints in the most unlikely places. Take note of everything - curiously chipped bricks, graffiti, scratched esoteric symbols on the walkways… even the most obscure drawing could change the course of your adventure! But beware - the dreamer knows you’re there and while he may help at times, he can also stand in your way.

That sounds awesome, but unfortunately it's not up to a particularly strong start, with just $3,500 out of $48,000 collected so far.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A nonsense dreamscape with puzzles deliberately designed to be super obscure? Sounds like a recipe for the worst pixel hunting unsolvable bullshit adventure games have to offer. :(

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.gamewatcher.com/news/201...nceled-team17-to-publish-survivor-horror-game
Allison Road Kickstarter canceled, Team17 to publish survivor horror game
20 hours ago | By JAFalcon

Indie developer Lilith has announced that they have canceled their Kickstarter for their survival horror game Allison Road, which is a spiritual successor to the creepy game P.T. They revealed that they found a publisher to fund the game, Team17, best known for the Worms franchise.

The developer stated in an update on the Kickstarter, "We have decided to withdraw the Kickstarter campaign to allow us to commit 100% to an opportunity that will give us the chance as a team to create the best game possible.

"As a newly founded studio, we’ve been completely overwhelmed by your encouragement and huge interest in Allison Road and we’d love to thank each and every one of you for all of the amazing support you have given us during our Kickstarter campaign and beyond. Really incredibly appreciated."

They went on to announce their "amazing" news that Team17 would be publishing, allowing them to focus 100% on development.

"Working with Team17 will give us the chance to make our game unhindered creatively, but at the same time will give us the resources, support and experience that only a 25 year old studio can give."

The studio then promised, "For all of you that have pledged already for in game rewards, we absolutely promise you that we will look at ways outside of Kickstarter that will allow you to be involved in the game at a later date."

Stay tuned for more info.

Cancelled Kickstarter is cancelled:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Oh well, this has been long overdue.

FINAL CONSIDERATIONS

It has been four years that this thread was started I think that it's time to wrap it up expecially considering for how long I have not updated the OP.

End of the Revolution

At the moment Kickstrter seems to have reached its limits without very little room for expansion, probably it will expand further in the incoming years but in my opinion Kickstarter and crowdfunding in general hit their limit for now.
This is quite clear when looking at how camapaigns develope, at the beginning of the craze the first and last three days usually got the most of the money, now is only the first three that count, yes there is still a surge in pledges in the last three days but is very minor compared to the start of the campaign, in my opinion this means that all the potential customers are already there and the capability to attract the attention of the general public has been greatly reduced.

What Remains

Kickstarter saw and heralded the mainstream acceptance of crowdfunding as business model, most importantly favored the birth of Steam Early Access, probably the developmnet with the most long lasting impact, and don't believe the revisionists, Gaben didn't invent crowdfunding he just jumped on the bandwagon.
Another important developement is the ability of non AAA games to attract investors outside from the videogame businness world, not millions yet but is a start.

What this was all about?

The Kickstarer craze started with great and high hopes, unsurprisingly failed to deliver, here the hard lessons people should learn from this and the good that came with the whole affair.

The Bad

Developers are not innocent virgins but accomplices in the decline of videogaming, many of them replicated the mindset of AAA productions and approach to game design while promising to be old school or innovative, worse many also tried to use Kickstarter as a gateway to AAAgamingdom or attract publishers' attention while claiming the opposite.

At the moment crowdfunding is not a viable altenative to the publisher model, except for very minor projects.

Kickstarter is rife with incompetence when not outright frauds, in this regard very little progress has been made since the beginning, admittedly there is more scrutiny and less good will to exploit but still pledgeing is more an act of faith than a rational decision, could be argued that crowdfunding is not an investement but a donation system at its core after all.

The Good

Many good games have been made thanks to Kickstarter and many others were favored by the new climate it created, this means that there are more venues available to developers for funding projects, hopefully this will last and be more conductive to a more favorable environment for future games.

Aknowledgemts

Thanks to all the people that appreciated my effort in making this thread that obviously will continue to be used to signal interesting projects but with very little contribution of mine from now on.

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Yeah, pretty correct, that said, I really enjoyed and still enjoy a lot of the more minor projects for whom Kickstarter has been good compared the more midlist stuff

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Kologeon is a dark mystic action adventure set in a procedurally generated realm tormented by demons and spirits. You are an immortal soul that can traverse dimensions outside of physical bodies, fighting for centuries as you establish permanent monuments to mark your journey.

f39085fff62751bf2b2aa96cfff56512_original.gif

586c63fd6d108675525734f37ea5ecb4_original.gif

Looks neat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom